Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
War is just like a video game

Posted by brushworks Zone5-Ohio (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 22, 13 at 12:37

A video game to this royalty.

Taliban leaders have fired back at Prince Harry over the royal's comments that piloting a helicopter in Afghanistan�where he says he killed insurgents during his recent tour of duty�is like playing a video game.

Harry, who co-piloted an Apache helicopter during his 20-week tour, made the comparison in an interview broadcast by the BBC Monday night.

"It�s a joy for me because I�m one of those people who loves playing PlayStation and Xbox," the 28-year-old said. "So with my thumbs I like to think I�m probably quite useful."

Here is a link that might be useful: Useful thumbs

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: War is just like a video game

So training as a child on violent video games, developing excellent, fast eye/hand coordination, is a useful skill needed by today's military.

And the NRA wants to ban violent video games.

"Why" is the question we all should be asking, here.

o

I think he must've been funning.

o

Harry doesn't have to serve, but he does, just like your son Brush.

How many of the rich and privileged actually serve in harms way? He deserves...like any soldier, our thanks not our criticism.

o

It's a context thing.

He had been talking about how he was never really good at school, exams were a nightmare for him and he had to repeat a year at prep school in order to qualify for Eton. He did not do very well there.

By contrast to school, flying is a joy for him and he excelled in his helicopter training... which he put down to all his X-Box and Playstation time.

The Taliban immediately picked up on that one sentence and made it look like Harry thinks war is a game.

o

Chase,

I already know that he doesn't have to serve. He is doing it because he wants to do his part to serve his country. I get that!

However, there is still a reason to be sympathetic to others when mentioning that killing them is like playing a video game.

I get that he's royalty, and you as a Canadian are inclined to dismiss his comment. But I don't believe any representative of countries can afford to dismiss the tragedy of others, who happen to be fighting for what they believe is their right to defend their culture and country.

o

Apart from which - he was playing the FIFA Football game, which I guess some may consider violent.

I thought it was a very good documentary interview. I admit to a slight bias, as he is a serving officer in my old regiment, and first served with them on the ground in forward operating bases in 2007 and had to be withdrawn after his identity was leaked. He was only allowed back in the war zone as a pilot operating out of the (relative) safety of Camp Bastion.

Good publicity for both the Taliban and the Afghan "government", unfortunately.

Best wishes
Jon

o

I hope you enjoyed the BBC interview, brush - good to know you wouldn't just post a headline without watching the source.

Best wishes
Jon

o

mentioning that killing them is like playing a video game.

Brush, are you certain he said that killing is just like playing a video game?

o

"I get that he's royalty, and you as a Canadian are inclined to dismiss his comment.�"

Brush with the amount of time you spend in Canada I would expect you to know that there is no homogeneous "Canadian" affinity for the Royal family. They are loved, admired, loathed, dismissed or ignored equally.

I happen to not have very much respect for Harry or his father but I do for his brother , his SIL, and most assuredly his Grandmother.

I just feel his comments are being taken our of context and used, once again by the "press" to sell papers.

o

Harry is not the sharpest tack in the royal box. He's the one who showed up a party in a Nazi uniform and who was photographed naked in a Las Vegas hotel with "ladies of the evening." I think he's an okay guy--willing to run into any situation with which he is faced--but he does make bad judgments more often than he should.

o

May I add that I second Chase's comments about respect for William, Kate, and certainly Queen Elizabeth !!--she totally rocks. I loved when she was portrayed floating down into the Olympic opener.

o

Without entirely dismissing that what he said was very inappropriate, I really think Harry suffers from hereditary foot-in-mouth disease.

Prince Philip is what, 90 something? And yet I bet he is still capable of saying similarly do do brained stuff right up to this very day. At least with Harry, there is hope he may mature into some greater level of discrimination and discretion in how he expresses himself.

Fortunately, William seems to have inheirited his parents more shy nature, and not his grandfather's awkward gregariousness.

Here is a link that might be useful: Prince Philip Top Ten Gaffes

o

The British press is also panning the prince, with one newspaper calling him a royal misfit, and another telling Harry to muzzle himself, guard his tongue and learn how to speak more like royalty.

Can't they take his joking and just laugh it off like a few others?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here