Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Invasion of the Giant Killer Shrimp. Hide, or buy cocktail sauce.

Posted by denninmi 6A SE Michigan (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 20, 13 at 13:00

I thought this was pretty telling -- our native shrimp species in the Gulf and Atlantic are facing competition from Asian Tiger Shrimp that have escaped from aquaculture and now breed on their own.

We have various invasive species here in the Great Lakes, including tiny Zebra Mussels that breed in enormous numbers and suck nutrients from the water. Cleaner water, but less food in the food chain for the diatoms and other plankton that form the basis for higher animals like fish.

"Grab a fork and some cocktail sauce. A lot of cocktail sauce. North Carolina waters may be on the brink of a population explosion of an invasive species that is troubling, tasty and titanic.

Well, titanic for a shrimp.

There has been an ominous spike in catches here and across the Southeast of Asian tiger shrimp, a Pacific and Indian Ocean species that can grow more than a foot long and weigh nearly a pound."

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/05/25/3267923/lobster-sized-shrimp-moving-into.html#storylink=cpy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Invasion of the Giant Killer Shrimp. Hide, or buy cocktail sa

I think we had a post about this shrimp in Louisiana. It is going to be interesting with climate change. The 55 degrees could make them plentiful in other areas.

o

In the west, its crawdads. I 'believe' they're just the normal species from the south but transported to the streams and rivers here, where they're invasive in trout streams, as well as everything else.

They eat stuff the stuff that trout eat eats.

o

I think we can eat them to extinction... we do it quite well with other species.

Bring your appetites and the garlic butter.

o

They eat stuff the stuff that trout eat eats.

Hell, up this way, they're a preferred food source for both trout AND bass.

As fer them shrimp, BRING EM ON!!

o

Yes, we had a thread on this last year. I'm pretty sure we all got hungry ;D

o

Yes, there is a gigamonstrous gmo-bred salmon in our future. These fish will run many times the length and weight of wild salmon, thereby threatening food sources of wild trout, wild salmon, and other fish.

o

Yeah bring on the extinction it's better for my local red lobster!
Laudable!

o

These fish will run many times the length and weight of wild salmon, thereby threatening food sources of wild trout, wild salmon, and other fish.

Yikes! From your description I expect to see them cruising the Sunset Strip on Friday nights.

o

Personally, I'm partial to a nice piece of squid...8 metres of it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Big Fella!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here