Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yes, I am a neat/clean freak in my own house!

Posted by haydayhayday none (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 5, 13 at 13:32

I didn't say that, jillinnj did.

But, unlike her, I need some inspiration around here. Desperately.

Why should I keep a neat/clean house?

I can imagine in Biblical times, before we knew about how to keep the bad germs away, it might make sense to just get neurotic about cleanliness, but, today, I know not to leave meat lying around. I know about trichinosis in pigs and how to deal with it. And of course, we have the USDA to keep us all safe.

I've overcome many of my instinctive behaviors that might well have served me a few thousand years ago.

But, tonight, should I go dancing or clean my refrigerator?

Which is going to help me more to have a wonderful, fun filled life?

Is it beautiful women who love to dance or cleaning out my almost spotless refrigerator?

Help me decide.

Thanks.

Hay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yes, I am a neat/clean freak in my own house!

It's early in the day, hay. Clean the fridge. Maybe a little dusting, vacuuming, floor mopping. Then go dancing tonight.

There, problem solved.

A little cleaning everyday and the house is always clean.

Or, just hire someone. Me, personally, I've never had the same cleaning woman return. Just not up to my standards. I gave up and I just save that money and do it myself.

Nice to know you're always thinking of me, hay :-)

o

Personally I never mix work with my pleasure. Clean all week and play on the weekends.

The same dust bunnies will be there Monday and they will invite some friends to play with them over the weekend. I will throw them out Monday but I am retired so I do not have commitments for the weekdays so my work Mon-Fri is keeping the house tip top.

o

marquest - I still work full time (and commute almost 2 hours each way) and I'm with you. I prefer to get the cleaning done little by little during the week, and do as little as possible on the weekend. Nothing puts me in a worse mood than waking up to a dirty house on a Saturday morning.

By the way, I'm not sure this qualifies as a 'hot topic'!?

o

"Nice to know you're always thinking of me, hay :-)"

Last night, surrounded by all those beautiful women, got me to thinking about you and your cleanliness.

"Just not up to my standards."

Why not just lower your standards?

I want to know WHY? Not HOW. What's the benefit?

I'm tired, just thinking about it. I'm going to take a nap.

Hay

o

"I'm not sure this qualifies as a 'hot topic'!"?

Maybe I'll post some pictures of those women after my nap. Then you'll understand.

Hay

o

Hay is tired from the toxic load represented by his dirty house. :P

I clean a little bit at a time. My vacuum cleaner is never put away! My many bookcases with books are a pain because I am very sensitive to the dust accumulated over the books and a few nicknacks.

Most of my time at home is spent in the kitchen and adjacent dining room where I've set up my office, drafting and computer tables. Warmest room in the house but a magnet for dirt. No rug, so lots of sweeping, damp mopping, and such.

o

I like to do both.

There are still two houseguests from the holidays here, however, the perfunctory "care package" for traveling is packed and ready for the departure of a boyfriend but this is a protracted departure as they won't see another for close to another year.

Housekeeper is here, mom is here visiting for a few days, DD is here, and housekeeper and I are putting away Christmas, cleaning, dusting, changing from Christmas to Mardi Gras decorations.

I love a clean house.

Organized closets--this year's goal.
That involves getting rid of sentimental things and things I MIGHT need one day and only want two weeks after finally throwing them out or donating them.

I find I think and perform better if the house is neat and clean. There's still a little time for dancing and such.

Salsa lessons are on the horizon--not just a lesson or two as in the past, but actually learning it right.

Hay, I'm glad you're enjoying "hot" women.
But most women like a "clean house."
Of course if you don't invite them in or they are distracted while visiting, it's of no consequence. ;)

o

Why not just lower your standards?

Tried. Didn't work. Makes me too cranky. I'm just so much happier when my house is clean. Yes, I know it's weird. Yes, I know my standards are not the norm.

I want to know WHY? Not HOW. What's the benefit?

Ah, I see. For me, it just makes me happy. Happy is an excellent benefit. I don't like cleaning, but I hate dirt and clutter more.

Oh, and it's in the genes. DH had of course seen my parent's house, but the first time we visited a cousin at their house, he looked around and said, "oh, I see, it's genetic". Yes, it is. Both sides of the family.

Sweet dreams...

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 5, 13 at 16:48

Hay needs to get hitched up to his most favorite dancing partner, then they can dance and clean together forever and ever.

(ain't I the romantic ;)

o

"Ah, I see. For me, it just makes me happy. Happy is an excellent benefit. I don't like cleaning, but I hate dirt and clutter more."

Like any Obsessive Compulsive Disorder? Is that what it comes down to?

I'm not convinced. I'm going dancing.

Good night.

Hay

o

For once, I agree with Hay.

Kate

o

I like a clean house...but given a choice? When I depart, I don't want anyone saying, she sure kept a clean house. I want them to say, I sure was happier being around her.

o

I'm a happy slob. :-)

o

2 reasons:

1. When I lived in NYC a long time ago there were roaches, and not keeping clean and at least tidy encouraged their presence.

2. Now I have to deal with stinkbugs, and if I keep things out they hide there.

o

I never clean under the bed. How could it get dirty under there?

o

I like a clean house...but given a choice? When I depart, I don't want anyone saying, she sure kept a clean house. I want them to say, I sure was happier being around her.

Why are they mutually exclusive? I know lots of people that love coming here to enjoy our company and because it's clean (some of them -- their houses, not so much).

I'm a happy slob.

But, is your wife happy? ;-)

When DH and I were talking about getting married, I had to explain that our house was not going to look like his apartment. It was going to look like my house. He said something like, 'you're way is good, my way is bad. We'll do it your way'. And after many years of marriage he still picks up after himself (which is all I ask).

Like any Obsessive Compulsive Disorder?

Nah. Really. I know a few obsessive compulsives, and I'm not one of them.

o

Why are they mutually exclusive? I know lots of people that love coming here to enjoy our company and because it's clean (some of them -- their houses, not so much).

I understand what Msk is talking about. I have a friend that drives me crazy. Nothing like windex sprayed in your face. She and I have similar taste of glass tables. But she will clean in front of you instead of waiting for you to leave.

I love white, white makes me feel everything is clean.....White furniture, white area rugs, kitchen of course white. But people do not feel uncomfortable when they visit.

I have the good sense to wait until they leave to clean.

o

OK, I see. Yes, that would be annoying. I do not clean while company is here. We enjoy ourselves. We will put dishes in dishwasher between dinner and dessert just to get most of the mess out of the way. And people usually like a little break before dessert anyway.

Now, when they leave...everything gets put away, kitchen cleaned, downstairs vacuumed, floors mopped. Then I can sleep like a baby :-)

o

when we both worked full time we had a cleaninglady but when I gave up work to raies our children we gave her up.

I have always struggled with cleaning, because IT BORES ME SENSELESS.....halfway through vaccuuming I would be thinking "I'd rather be reading a book"

I have a lways been a hygene freak where food is concerned , but with regard to the dust bunnies....well, they will be there tomorrow.

This time last year I tore the main tendon in my dominant shoulder and , even after surgery it is not the best so we have had a cleaning lady since then.

We will NEVER give her up (if required I would go without food to keep her) so that even If I do recover full movement and lose the pain I have accepted that it is better for me to spend time doing what I am good at.

so Hay.......GO DANCING !!

live each day as if it were your last day on earth!! and dont spend it cleaning.

o

Well, I wish I could be as disciplined as jill when it comes to the house, but I almost always can think of other things that need to be done first and instead. Just hate having to clean up again what I have already cleaned up hundreds and hundreds of times before. Downright depressing to think about. Besides I would have to give up my rose gardens if I devoted that much time to house-cleaning. Sorry, but nothing you say will make me feel differently about it.

That doesnt' mean I never clearn the house, in case you were misunderstanding me. It just means that I get in a really bad mood whenever I go on a big cleaning spree around here.

Kate : (

o

Kate , that is EXACTLY what gets to me too. You are doing something that you have done millions of times before and will have to do in a couple of days again.

at least when the garden is weeded it astays weeded for a month or so.

Of course I happened to fall in love with border collies (nasty , but completely adorable , shedding creatures) and they like to roll on the freshly vaccummed carpet to add a fresh load of hair ! (sob sob)

which compounds my problem.

o

No need to apologize, Kate. We all do what works for us.

YQ - I feel your pain of the shedding dog. My dog shed constantly. He's been gone now for about 2 years. I have been able to relax a little (a very little!) with the vacuuming and mopping without the dog hair, muddy paws, etc.

o

Jill-- Matter of fact, she is, because of the fact that I'm not as demanding as alot of husbands. She's not the greatest housekeeper, either, and she's happy about the fact that I'm not real worried about it.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 5, 13 at 21:35

Dust likes to set up colonies under beds, in fact I believe it is where they go to be fruitful and multiply, I have hardwood floors so a simple dustmop across them keeps them fairly dust free, plus my cat likes a clean floor to throw up on (^_^)

I do not like dirty dishes in the sink, so I guess that is my one obsessive disorder ... blame my dad ... when you got up from the table doing dishes was mandatory, even if I would have rather watched the Mickey Mouse Club.

I HATE washing windows, cleaning the oven and never understood why they could not invent glass windows that stay clean. I cannot imagine having glass tables or walls of windows ... ugh!

o

I like a clean and tidy house . Absolutely can't abide stuff lying around but I'm not overly obsessive with it. I don't like housework, find it a real chore so I tend to do some every day but never more than an hour or so. Way to many other fun things to do in life.

My brother is compulsive with his house cleaning. He literally vacuums when company is still there!!!! Drives me nuts!

o

Jill, you need one of my brand new Labradoodle pups (no shed).

o

Chase is your brother married. My girlfriend has cleaned her last husband out of the house. They sound like a good cleaning match.

o

elvis - beautiful!!! Some days I am so tempted to get another puppy. Other days, not so much. I miss my baby, but we do enjoy the freedom. Especially in the summer when son is playing travel baseball and we travel. Less stressful. But...well, you know.

My hairdresser's husband is a total clean freak and cannot stand having people in the house. He's constantly worrying about what is getting dirty. So not me. I love having people over. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday because my house is filled with people having a wonderful time and eating.

o

I could never be unfaithful to my border collies , no matter how messyPhotobucket

o

Thanks, Jill. They are the perfect dog for fur-free furniture and floors. The first one, Charlie, goes to his forever home tomorrow. Sniff. We call the one in the pic Little Girl.

My house looks good, but it's never perfect. I used to be very concerned with keeping everything just so, and I do
complain a bit(!), but am working on loosening up just for domestic harmony. Stuff like using the micro without covering the food first makes me a little edgy. Neatness isn't a priority for my other half.

I too love to entertain.

o

So sorry to hear that, elvis. They really are family and it's so hard to lose them. I've only ever had 1 dog in my life and I am still amazed at how attached we were and how hard it was when it was his time to go. Another thing that keeps me from getting another. Very hard.

I do get my doggie fix when my daughter and fiancee bring their dog here. Right now, that's enough.

I love border collies! Just too much work for us given how much exercise they need.

o
RE: Yes, I a5m a neat/clean freak in my own house!

Of course some of them can get a bit vain.
bails5

o

My husband is the neat freak & I do enjoy it when he is gone & I can leave the bed unmade & the dishes dirty. But a couple of hours on Saturday morning taking care of cleaning stuff & the rest of the weekend is mine to enjoy. I refuse to spend my weekends working at home after working all week at work. Do something you are passionate about not just do chores!

o

Elvis, well, I just fell in love with The Little Girl.
They are the sweetest natured dogs. No shedding either.

youngquinn they are prettier than run-way models :):)

I love a clean house with everything in its place.
Mike doesn't shed (shih tzu) but Maddie the cat does.

I'm trying to teach her to use the little hand vac and
she just can't get the hang of it!

o

I was always passionate about maintaining a home that was as up to date as possible, aesthetically pleasing to my eye, and comfortable if not fun for the family to live in. The passion came not from daily cleaning/dishes/laundry, but from all of the changes, improvements, design and decor I implemented in changing it from a mere house to a home....a home that the family and I would love to return to.
Cleaning the home and maintaining the home is the same as doing your laundry and brushing your teeth. It demonstrates self-respect and honors what you have in life.
To illustrate the point further, there are a lot of people who lost their homes after the BushCrash that would be more than happy to do plenty of house work and maintenance work if they could only have a home again.
Treasure what you have, keep it close, and polish it.

o

I would rather honor WHO I am in life, not what I HAVE in life.

Dust is removed every 2 wks..Picking up stuff and putting it away happens every day.

o

If you and your family lost your home, or you lost your health or became ill from poor hygiene,
I suspect you would feel less introspective about WHO you were.

I would rather honor WHO I am in life

That appears to be too arrogant of an attitude for me to relate to. Not sure how you honor yourself or how having good hygiene, taking care of your health and your home would not be more important than ego.

This post was edited by heri_cles on Sun, Jan 6, 13 at 11:04

o

I understand stopping and smelling the roses, and that having lunch with an old friend or playing with the dog or playing the piano is more important (to me) than polishing the furniture.

However, one of the pleasures of life for me is maintaining a home surrounded by sentimental and/or beautiful furniture and objects, and making it a pleasure in every sense--visual, tactile, fragrance, and beautiful music--or complete silence and peace. That involves maintaining the home and keeping it clean and clutter free as much as possible.

o

We all do what we do for our own happiness and peace of mind. The small amount of time it takes to keep the house clean is worth it to me because the rest of the time I am happy. I love spending time on (home improvements and decorating) and in my house. So, I'm doing what's important to me. I understand that not everyone feels this way.

I certainly do not spend all my time cleaning (a little time each day). But a clean house allows me to enjoy the other things in life. Yes, I know it's weird, but if I know I'm coming home to a dirty/messy house, I'm just in a bad mood and will not enjoy whatever it is I am doing as much.

o

Feng Shui your environment. If it is cluttered and in a uproar so will be your life.

I feel the same about color. Too much color in a home makes me feel uncomfortable. I know people that have bold colors in each room. I have problems visiting long in homes of friends that have that decorating taste.

I am comfortable with earth colors, muted colors, and white. I have said many times it is why I do not like granite counter tops. It is too busy for my taste. By the way if anyone is decorating it is now being said that granite is out for the new Kitchens for 2013 because of the busy design.

Some people cannot function without colors bright energizing and lots of knick knacks around. Everyone should do what makes them happy.

o

Sun, Jan 6, 13 at 12:00

Dislike "knickknacks", my choice in colors for home and clothing has always been earth tones.

o

Life is short so do those things that you enjoy most-even if it is dusting-or not dusting.
I am a reformed neat freak-I was super neat as a child but people make fun of you for being neat-I wonder why that is? Anyway I became secretly neat-obviously the neat thing is a part of trying to control my life by controling my environment-my clothes neatly folded, my closets tidy, kitchen utencils neat in their little drawers but some dust and disturbances apparent to the eye with projects about-well I had a serious illness and couldnt even do that for awhile and lo the world did not come to an end. My underwear wore just the same even if it wasnt sorted by type and color..now a days I am more inclined to go ahead and read a book or wind off that warp because what would I want to have done on my last day on earth? If the answer to that question for you is clean your fridge then by all means clean the fridge-clean mine while you are at it if it would make you happy.

o

And please do feel free to clean mine also!

Kate

o

"...what would I want to have done on my last day on earth? If the answer to that question for you is clean your fridge then by all means clean the fridge-clean mine while you are at it if it would make you happy."

Now that (to me, of course) is a healthy attitude!

;D

o

It took me a long while to slow down, re-prioritize, and listen to my body's ability and life moving quickly by. Some things are important, and some things aren't. That pile of laundry could wait, but my children couldn't.

If you come to see me, c'mon over any time... if you come to see my house, make an appointment.

o

Frankly, compared to the many years of cats, dogs and ingrate offspring, I could leave the housework for a year and it still would not compare to the daily horror show of times past. The elderly border collie and antisocial cat create a tiny fraction of the chaos caused by teenage children and their many mates.

Mr.Camps and I, after 34 continous years of exhausting, expensive childcare and utterly futile housecleaning, are entering a period of slovenly bliss.

I do not, and probably never will have, a single white or pastel wall in the entire house. Colour is totally essential.

The main 'problem' is books - I think we have around 10,000 piled up the staircase, every wall, every room - we have purges every few years....but they just creep back in.

o

"slovenly bliss" what a great phrase !! (think I will go and read a book for a bit now)

o

"I would rather honor WHO I am in life, not what I HAVE in life."

A worthless piece of crappola who lives in a spotless house....no thank you.

Do you seriously think you have a clue as to what I would or wouldn't feel more introspective about under any circumstances? No, you don't.

o

Sun, Jan 6, 13 at 20:24

If you come to see me, c'mon over any time... if you come to see my house, make an appointment.

"like" :)

o

Demifloyd said:
"I love spending time on (home improvements and decorating) and in my house. So, I'm doing what's important to me. I understand that not everyone feels this way."

I love that Demi and feel the same way. There is nothing wrong about being passionate about your home and cleaning up after your kids, your significant other and your pets.

And I love rehabbing from designing the space, buying the materials and doing as much as I can do, which is usually everything.

o

I really enjoy the homes of people who keep them well because I can visit. One of the things I lost during my long medical issue was the ability to focus-so see a project through-essential to keeping things clean and tidy. It used to be one of my strengths-oh well.

Slovenly bliss-great phrase. I aspire to be able to enjoy my mess.

I will watch those hoarder shows on tv to give me some incentive to do something about clutter but books-I was unaware until then that books could be hoarded-books? You can have too many books? Even when they are two deep in the book cases and stacked in piles up from the floor? How can that be?

o

I'm pretty much in the Jill, demi, heri camp. It took a lifetime of saving and travel, careful choices along with old, treasured family pieces to create this house into our home and comfortable sanctuary. We have always taken very good care of ourselves, each other, and belongings.

If the house has gone too long without a good cleaning or has become too unorganized and cluttered, I can't relax - I require a clean, attractive, quiet and serene place to find physical comfort and composure, it is simply my make up. Luckily my DH is the same. We love our home. It is a material reflection of ourselves and our family. It is the place we use to welcome in those who are friends and family, it is important that they also feel comfortable while in our home.

It doesn't take long to do daily upkeep chores plus one extra - but it can become a mess in no time. Because like most families, we both worked salary jobs as well as keeping up the house, shopping, meal prep, housekeeping and laundry and child care - everyone in the house has jobs they did every single day plus one extra.

That way, the burden was shared as was the home - and the weekends were free, after about an hour first thing in the morning on the chores. Heck, we were out of the door most weekends by 9am, ready to do fun weekend activities
Or if it was to be a quiet day at home persuing individual interests, we were free for the day by then, too.
Nobody felt burdened, it was and is simply as natural a part of life as is showering and dressing for the day, there are things one does every single day and cleaning and putting to order our living space is one of them. It just isn't that energy or time consuming or burdensome that I can see.

Either way, either choice of lifestyle doesn't define character or how interesting a person might be, certainly not that I can see.

o

I love a clean house..but I hate to clean :) Fortunately no one else sees or cares. Lol.

As to cleaning under beds, I have wood floors and if you could see the accumulation of dust, hair, skin cells (which I pretend is dust :)) and dustbunnies under my beds when I finally get around to getting a clean swiffer out, those of you with carpet might faint!

o

As someone who is hooked on HGTV, my home is very important to me. I'm obsessive about some things, not so much about others. Every day when I get up after opening the blinds to my five bedroom windows, I make my bed. I would never leave the room for one minute with an unmade bed. And I have seven big pillows and three smaller ones which have to be a certain way on my RL comforter. I scrub the baths every day as well as the kitchen. Dusting is not the biggest priority. As a long time collector who attended weekly auctions for 40 years, you can just imagine what I mean. There can never be any clutter which isn't part of my design...like mail or magazines, but the organized clutter is there. I give husband five minutes to look at mail, sort it or throw away.

Let's just say my house is interesting. Not many people have a 140 year old garden gate hanging on their dining room wall. ..lol

o

Let's just say my house is interesting. Not many people have a 140 year old garden gate hanging on their dining room wall.

Sounds very interesting! As someone else that loves to watch HGTV, I would love to see a picture if you're willing. Totally understand if you're not.

o

My plan is to eventually, actually have a wrought iron garden gate hanging on the bedroom wall! I've got one that's a perfect headboard, but I don't have the wall space at present. Eclectic and unique, I always go for comfort and affordability first. It's not about fads or decorating, but about being surrounded by collected things I like and can use.
I've always lived in loosely organized chaos, never a slave to fashion.

o

Jill, I would love to share a picture but just don't think it would be a good idea. >>>I've always been eccentric. Back years ago when everyone had beige carpet, beige drapes and beige walls , I had none of these. I have never had curtains or drapes, always wooden interior shutter, blinds at night in the bedroom. I have never had carpet, always wood floors, and all my walls are stark white, the better to show off my "stuff". But all the wide old moldings in every room are painted a deep colonial color, wine red, sage green, mustard or dark blue.

o

Keeping up after the pets is a challenge. I have my own set of cleaning tools and techniques that I use to keep the wood floors clean, the pet odor down, and the pet hair under control but no matter how you do it, it is something that you have to keep up with or they will turn your house into a barn.

o

Lily you just make my mouth drool. I am a modern millie and have always had newer homes that I decorated in the style of the house.

The house I brought this time is a old Tudor and I am rehabbing it to look like I did not just buy new material but using materials that are of the time it was built in 1949. I am enjoying the new experience of decorating in a different style. I have always loved white and cream walls as I have said before light colors just make things look cleaner to me.

Most of my windows do not have covers because of the acreage the house sits on no one can see in unless they come on the property and climb around trees and peep inside.

I would love to see your house too but I totally understand not wanting to post a pic here.

Can I tempt you if I show you a pic? This is a pic taken laying in my bed. This is what I see when I open my eyes in the morning on a Spring day.

Photobucket

o

Lily,

"Let's just say my house is interesting. Not many people have a 140 year old garden gate hanging on their dining room wall. ..lol"

There's at least one who can relate.

o

Getting a giggle out of the garden gates. I have two you have to unlatch and open on the path from the garden to the house......except there is no fence just the gates......makes my DH crazy!!!

o

lily: "Not many people have a 140 year old garden gate hanging on their dining room wall. ..lol"

You'd be surprised. If you enjoy that look, you should really take a gander at the Garden Junk Forum. Lots of that sort of thing; very original. ;)

o

Oohh Marquest...a "tree house" view much like Chase's tree house home!

( how I think of Chase's home - )

Me likie!

o

Marquest...love your view. Mine is similar but I don't have a second floor balcony. My trees and foliage are why I don't have window coverings, and I live on a busy street with a side street. If there is something going on outside, I can't see it and have to go upstairs to look out. I remember many years ago, the fifth grade class of a local school came to the house after I found some 19th century artifacts in the back yard. Everything was in full leaf and as they opened the picket fence gate one kid said...' this looks like the secret garden.'It's just that it's a stark contrast to a busy street, and then you think you're in the country. I don't ever want to be around if another owner of this house does away with the trees. It would break my heart.

I don't ever want to leave this house, but it is what it is. It's a big old 2 and 1/2 story house with outbuildings, two ponds and a beehive. It's unrealistic to think we (or I) could take care of it in 20 years. My mother was the smart one. They built a house in 1950 which she lived in till she was 90, 27 years after my father died. Brick ranch, maintenance free.

I have various old gates sitting around my yard that I've picked up mostly from the trash, but the inside one I bought at an antique show years ago and paid too much back then. It's a very tall slatted gate with old faded red paint, but what makes it cool is in the center is a nine inch tin heart in faded yellow paint. I hang a lot of old pictoral hooked rugs on the wall because I don't want the six pets walking on them. In the sun room I have really graphic childs' twig chairs hanging on the wall...from the 1920's. I buy what I like and fit it in.

o

lily - your home sounds beautiful. As much as I would love to see pictures, I totally understand. I also love reading your descriptions! It's obvious you love your home. From someone that also loves their home, it comes through very clear!

marquest - beautiful view! Not a bad way to wake up each day!

o

Lily, do you hook your own rugs? I'm a "hooker" just starting a Victorian House pictorial.

o

Ditto lisa-I love a clean house but I hate to clean.

If I tell myself, I will clean as much as I can for 30 minutes, it's not as bad. And I'm surprised how much gets clean. Twice as much as before now, since I have slave labor, my son.

What's the benefit? I stay well. I hate the clutter (it clutters my mind!), but I really hate germs, and loads of fur flying around (not good for an allergic/asthmatic).

This post was edited by rob333 on Thu, Jan 10, 13 at 8:38

o

Chase, no I'm not a hooker...lol. They are all antique and I just love them. Some are from kits in the 20's and some date back to the 1800 and freestyle.

Marquest..here's a shot of my front yard.

o

Okay that didn't work...

o

Another shot of the backyard

o

LOL Mylab, I guess one could think of it as a tree house!!!

o

Chase and Lily your gardens are beautiful. Not possible to live amongst the trees like that over here . Bushfire threat would make that Russian roulette.

o

Thank you Mylab, jillinnj, It is what makes opening my eyes every morning a joy.

Aww thank you Lily. Those are beautiful shots. I love the lush green secret garden affect you have created. Do you have deer problems?

I can feel the love you have for your property.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 11, 13 at 9:27

Nice Digs there Lily, is that a lake in the background? Good fishin'?

o

Around here that ivy is now considered an invasive pest. It chokes out everything and destroys buildings. Keeping in mind that brick buildings are the norm in the area. It can devastate the native plants and ecosystem.

o

Fri, Jan 11, 13 at 9:45

Love all the pics ... ivy is an invasive obnoxious plant, some people have it for lawns here, never understood it as the stuff also climbs our wonderful old hardwood trees and chokes the life out of them. They have a friggin root system like a log and you have to actually dig up the foundation around house/building and practically nuke the stuff to get rid of it.

To all the ivy lovers ... ducking and running :)

o

Don;t Duck ohiomom. I have been fighting the stuff since I purchased this property. It is persistent and very aggressive.

This property had been negelted by the aging previous owner and they had let it take over the house. If the house was not a good solid brick house it would have fallen down. The entire house had to be pointed.

o

Ouch Marquest. How much did that cost you?

We got pretty lucky when we purchased this house. It's pretty solid and every inch of the mortar is in great condition. Made me wonder if they had the entire house done at some point in the recent past.

o

Thanks for posting those pics, lily! Just beautiful!

Chase - very nice! It does look like a tree house, although a quite luxurious one.

o

Marquest - surely you can't forget the long running ivy "discussions" on the Landscape Design forum. And the defense of all things ivy by yardvaark - second only to his mania for limbing up trees.

Linked below is just one of several.

Here is a link that might be useful: for the love of ivy

o

Vgkg...I wish it was a lake, but unfortunately it is the main street if you're talking about the first picture.

RE: ivy. My daughter spent years trying to get ivy from her 1927 Tudor. I happen to love ivy and as you can see it is invasive and has covered the picket fence in places. I have no grass and love the lushness of green ivy all year instead of manicured yards. W don't let it get on the clapboard house, carriage house or garden house . I try to keep it off tress too. The mature ivy blooms with fragrant white flowers and has black berries on it which the birds eat. Squirrels nest in it. It's not for everyone , but I love it and I have different varieties. I once dug up a small grass front yard and when husband came home from a trip, it was all ivy and pachysandra...no mowing on this 1/2 acre except for the sidewalk strip.

o

Fri, Jan 11, 13 at 12:22

duluthinbloomz thanks for the "giggles". Yes there are yards here, very few thank goodness with ivy and pachysandra in lieu of grass .. not a grass lover either, what a waste of water, but would prefer an edible and/or native garden to what I consider a obnoxious weed. In a former life I was told to "get rid of the ivy" .. oh yeah, all I need is a friggin nuke, no problem, right on that boss.

o

I loved reading that thread. People really get militant like the one who wanted to kill the person who planted ivy. I never planted any. It was here when I moved here and has been here since the early 1900's as far as I saw pictures. I just ripped up the tiny bit of grass we had and let the ivy spread there. Our grass always was anemic looking because of all the trees. When you have a forest of trees in your yard, you have few options. I do have pachysandra and myrtle too.

Ironically, my daughter is the native plant expert in our state. She doesn't mention her mother...lol

o

duluthinbloomz. I forgot about that post. LOL

Lily I like ivy in the yard I just hate it when people let it grow on the house.

o

Sometimes you just have to laugh; and we could all use some comic relief.

The back yard of this property was exactly the same - nothing like getting out the Huskvarna just to collect the mail.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hope you opened this ivy link

o

That is hilarious. Our climate here doesn't allow the ivy to grow like this. BUT...on the next street from me, there is a house which I assume is a ranch, because there are holly bushes or trees completely covering everything except the carport where they keep their car.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here