Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Teen shoots 2 adults, 3 children dead

Posted by hamiltongardener CAN 6a (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 20, 13 at 14:18

A teenage boy in New Mexico has been arrested in connection with the fatal shootings of five people.

Two adults and three children were found dead with apparent multiple gunshot wounds at a house near Albuquerque on Saturday evening.

Bernalillo County sheriff's spokesman Aaron Williamson said it was not yet clear what the suspect's motive was, or his connection to the victims.

He faces two counts of murder and three of child abuse resulting in death.

Mr Williamson said they were trying to identify if the victims were related.

The authorities have not released the name or age of the suspect, although local media reported that he was aged 15.

Investigators are also trying to determine who owns a number of guns that were found at the home, including a semi-automatic military-style rifle, the Associated Press news agency reports.

The shooting came hours after pro-gun activists staged rallies across the United States to demonstrate against stricter gun control laws.

President Barack Obama has pledged a raft of measures to tighten gun laws following the mass shooting at a school in Newtown, Connecticut, in mid-December that killed 20 children and six adults.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Mexico teen kills 5

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Teen shoots 2 adults, 3 children dead

Geeze, five more dead by guns. But who's counting? Unless it's over 20, it won't even make headlines anymore in this gun culture.

o

Yeah...

It's not the number that tweaks me most times. It just bothers me more when I see children have been killed.

Like someone else's reaction about the shootings at the gun shows...first reaction...were there any children involved?

No children involved gets a sigh of relief from me. Not that it's "good" if adults are shot, just, you know. The gun show shootings are ironic, but it's not as tragic to me as long as no kids were shot.

In this case, 3 kids are dead. I effing hate this.

Meanwhile, last week in Ontario, they arrested 4 teens in a Catholic school accused of bringing a gun to school then shuttling it between each other in a backpack to avoid having it found.

That could have ended in another child losing his/her life.

Here is a link that might be useful: Handguns are easy to conceal

o

Spend the night in Chicago tonight. I hate to keep mentioning it, but young adults, teens and children have been dying in Chicago for many years before any of you noticed.

January 19-20, 2013. Yesterday and today!

* West Side shooting sends teen to hospital

* 25-year-old man shot in Loop hotel

* 28-year-old man shot in Chatham

* 22-year-old man shot in Hermosa

* 19-year-old man shot in west Lawn

* 20-year-old man shot in Englewood

* 35-year-old man shot in Gresham

Chicago. In the past school year (2012), 24 students were killed and 319 wounded in shootings, police reports show.

Where was our outrage back in July? Or, was it ignored because these kids are brown and black, inner-city poor kids?

This post was edited by brushworks on Sun, Jan 20, 13 at 15:54

o

If I had known then, I would have been as outraged as I am now that I first heard about them.

Don't think it is quite fair, brush, to blame people who knew nothing about those killings. If you have a bone to pick, seems like the media that fails to report these things so that the rest of us can know about them is the true culprit here.

Kate

o

Terrible news; thanks for sharing, Hamilton.

o

I agree with Kate that you are being unfair. I'd also suggest that those young men (no children in your list of fatalities) are part of a "killing subculture", gang-related or some other out-lawlessness.

o

Hamiliton , in any one year more American children are killed by guns than the total of police and military personnel combined.
My soldier thread has the stats on this.
sickening.
I am the same as you , I always feel that the children cant make choices for themselves as to whether they want to be part of a gun culture.

o

Brush, how is that possible? Don't they know guns are illegal there? Here's a solution-- lets make em DOUBLY illegal!

I just saw this story come across FB on Opposing Views, and found it interesting that the article was pretty much devoid of any information, except that it was 5 killed, and it was committed with an AR-15. Makes you wonder what's more important.

o

I would think these deaths and shootings would be reported locally - and in a lot of cases buried deep inside and away from the front page. What would be the advantage of newspapers or other outlets from coast to coast devoting space to individual Chicago or country-wide crimes unless it's high magnitude or profile.

Some think people are already frightened enough by their own surroundings let alone having to be constantly besieged by someone else's.

We get a spillover of miscreants here from Chicago and Detroit - drugs primarily. Any shootings (very few) and assorted crimes seem to be contained within that "subculture". They prey on their own. Doesn't take 'em long to get arrested and sent away.

o

Matter of fact, I've got even a better one for the city of Chicago-- they can't seem to stop they bad guys with the guns, so lets start shooting the good guys!

Here is a link that might be useful: Unreal

o

What point are you trying to make, Bill?

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 20, 13 at 18:01

The simple fact is shootings are a common everyday occurrence in America's cities, whether it is Chicago, Cleveland, New York, Atlanta etc. Maybe that is why you find so many large city mayors vocal about gun control. Our local news reports it daily, not just the incidences like Newton.

One thing I will agree with, few seem to care or get outraged (or it seems like it sometimes) that these shootings/killings happen until it happens in their backyards (suburbia/rural) areas.

For us "more guns" does not seem like a workable solution.

1/2 penny

o

Sun, Jan 20, 13 at 18:15

Just another day in the neighborhood...

CLEVELAND, Ohio The father of the 6-year-old girl who shot herself in the face Saturday has been arrested on suspicion of child endangering and having a gun after a felony conviction. The child died.

So how did a convicted felon manage to obtain a gun?

Because guns are as easy to buy as bubblegum.

o

Pidge-- I'm trying to make two different points on two somewhat different topics. With respect to the OP, it's all about the AR-15, and number of dead. Nevermind the lives lost or how the event came about-- lets get it out there with what we have. All we need is AR-15, and it'll sell!

The other point I'm trying to make is with respect to Brush's post-- Once guns are banned, you can't make em "more illegal", and yet, Chicago is killing their own on an unbelievable scale. Add to that the threat from the police chief, and it becomes that much more ludicrous.

The other day, I was at a select board meeting, and after the meeting, I pulled our town's police chief aside and asked him how he felt about permit holders carrying weapons (not just me, but permit holders in general)-- did it make him more uncomfortable, or more reassured. Keeping in mind he wasn't always attached to this little one horse town, his response was that he felt more reassured because in over 30 years of police work, he'd never had a weapons problem with a permit holder.

o

"So how did a convicted felon manage to obtain a gun?

Because guns are as easy to buy as bubblegum. "

shocking...and once again a small child is DEAD!!

o

Bill, I was referring to this comment: Matter of fact, I've got even a better one for the city of Chicago-- they can't seem to stop they bad guys with the guns, so lets start shooting the good guys!
I have no idea what you mean by that because it does not address the OP nor does it address the problem of big cities with gun problems.
No matter, let it go.

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 20, 13 at 18:53

And he did it with an assault rifle

It's so much easier to kill a lot of people quickly, that way.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

o

There's shootings pretty much every day in the greater Denver Metro area.

I can't find the source, but again, I listened to someone knowledgeable about the flood of stolen and straw-purchased handguns that are used in the large city crimes. He thought that stricter laws on background checks as well as cracking down on straw purchasers would go a long way to reducing the number of guns available.

What I didn't know was that hand guns, and particularly ammo, really aren't that easily available for the criminal 'street' use.

But for that to work, we'd need stricter - and clearer laws - on straw purchases; see Fast and Furious. This is a case were existing laws don't work. And for unlicensed, private sales, if it turns out you sold a gun to a felon, someone with a restraining order, or someone mentally ill, there ought to be background checks. And some sort of significant fine or penalty if you didn't do it.

And yea, it will inconvenience honest citizens who want to sell guns to one another. Such is life.

o

Pidge-- It had to do with Brush's statement about Chicago, and the link I posted with it should explain my comment.

o

One thing I will agree with, few seem to care or get outraged (or it seems like it sometimes) that these shootings/killings happen until it happens in their backyards (suburbia/rural) areas.

OMom, now you're just being unfair! LOL

Marshall....24 school children died in Chicago, and 344 were injured. I doubt they were members of gangs. Please don't dismiss those tragedies by linking them to gangs.

And for those who use the excuse that they didn't know, perhaps google child deaths per city, instead of "how to hate on Republicans". :(

This post was edited by brushworks on Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 6:28

o

"It just bothers me more when I see children have been killed." hamiltongardener

Me too. It also really bothers me that 15 year olds are doing the shooting. I guess most of it is plain mental illness, but I can't help thinking some of it is plain anguish.

The killings in Chicago are reported in the paper daily. Front pages pretty often. Appears we are all pretty desensitized to it. Kind of like, there's nothing we can do and politicians just won't do anything (for whatever reasons).

I still say, put a big dent in the baby mama population and gun/drug/gang crime in chicago will drop.

o

Here is more information on the original story. Incredibly, incredibly sad that a 15-year-old would shoot his parents and sisters.

Here is a link that might be useful: Probable cause statement on the local news

o

How incredibly sad.

o

Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 18:22

Used parent's guns ... deja vu.

o

It's lucky there wasn't another mass shooting at at public place. Kid sent pictures of his dead family to his girlfriend and then was going to commit mass murder on a crowd but was caught before that happened.

o

And at the link I posted above where I first heard the story, is someone in the comments section who knows this kid and defended him.

o

Tue, Jan 22, 13 at 10:36

Another "responsible gun owner". Too bad there wasn't a "good guy around with a gun" ... oh never mind.

Here is a link that might be useful: source of course

o

Bill, how could anyone defend fratricide, including yourself?

o

om"""""""""So how did a convicted felon manage to obtain a gun?"

Exactly.........and even if all guns are outlawed/banned, the criminals will still find a way to get one.

tish"""""""""""Here is more information on the original story. Incredibly, incredibly sad that a 15-year-old would shoot his parents and sisters."

It's even more than sad but again it all goes back to our society being broken. Something caused the 15 year old to pick up a gun and kill his family. The gun didn't just jump into his hand and start firing and I don't believe that every shooting we hear about is done by someone who is mentally ill. I would say the majority of killings are in fact not perpetrated by someone with true "mental illnesses" at all. It all goes back to respect, morals and values which seems to be lacking in a big portion of today's society.

o

Lady_Brat wrote,

It all goes back to respect, morals and values which seems to be lacking in a big portion of today's society.

Would you say that being honest and admitting one's misstatements is a behavior associated with those morals whose absence you lament?

o

Tue, Jan 22, 13 at 13:17

"lack of respect, morals and values"

LadyB do you think this family fit that profile?

Edited to add "lack of"

This post was edited by ohiomom on Tue, Jan 22, 13 at 13:18

o

And another one, this time in Quebec.

Montreal police have finished their questioning of a 12-year-old boy after the death of his brother.
In an interview that wrapped up at 5:30 a.m., the boy told police that on Monday afternoon he took the firearm from a closet in his Dorval home before accidentally shooting his 16-year-old sibling in the head.
The teenager was rushed to hospital where doctors declared his death.

Here is a link that might be useful: Time to ban guns

o

Bill, how could anyone defend fratricide, including yourself?

I'm not, nor would I want to. I thought I'd posted the link to the Opposing Views story, but apparently I didn't. There was a woman who posted in the commments section who claimed to know this kid and the family, and that no one should make any judgements until the whole story comes out. My reaction was pretty much the same as yours. I have no idea how someone could defend this action.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here