Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
elvis, the new Mr. Food guy

Posted by mylab123 z5NW (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 19, 13 at 15:21

I have seen the old Mr. Food's recipes here and there but none were appealing to me, due to overuse of prepackaged processed stuff, but today I saw the new guy demonstrate a recipe I thought sounded appetizing, save for the mayo which will be baked (yuk) - which he does say is an important ingredient, it sounds good to me:
the name of the recipe is "Seafood stuffed fish fillets", which looked to be a very fast and easy way to prepare what sounds like an interesting seafood dish.

Except for the breadcrumbs - for which I can figure no way around to substitute with something which would be low carb, no sugar - except to simply omit them entirely - it is a very very low carb, no sugar recipe.

If not on a very low carb and sugar diet though, its a heart attack on a plate sounding meal, but then none of the past recipes sounded particularly heart, sugar friendly.

If you missed it, I thought I would pass this along since you mentioned awhile back that it was a cooking show you enjoy, I went online, they have the recipes at, I think it was, Mr. Food.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: elvis, the new Mr. Food guy

Sorry, I could have sworn I switched over to the other side. Obviously not!

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 19, 13 at 16:27

Most seafood is contaminated now. You have to choose certain kinds from certain regions to be assured of some safety. And the radiation from Japan may have reduced the pool of safe seafood even farther.

Claims are being made now that cardiovascular disease is due more to sugar than cholesterol. Both sugar and gluten have been identified as inflammatory agents that affect the brain.

o

Thanks, Mylab ;D

Yes, some of Mr. Food's recipes are bad. But I liked him anyway. Baking mayo: this can be wonderful. I have Ginger's Basil Tomato Tart from the Recipe forum and it is superb ;)

And easy!

o

I love seafood but rarely eat it anymore. So much is farmed and full of chemicals, and so much is caught in contaminated waters. It's also the case that the ocean has been severely over-fished. Guess it's veggies and grains and a little meat (also full of chemicals!). I eat soup at least once a day--broth and veggies, maybe some pasta. I never heard of Mr. Food, to tell you the truth.

o

I never heard of Mr. Food, to tell you the truth.

You missed nothing. The few times I saw him his recipes sounded and looked so unappetizing.

o

Well, epi, Mr. Food recently died (pancreatic cancer), so rest easy. He won't be presenting any more recipes to an unsuspecting public. Anyway, he was a fun guy to watch; he was syndicated here and I saw him every day for years and years.

o

May he rest in peace but I can't imagine why you would think that his death or illness would have any bearing on my opinion of the food he promoted when he was alive. It doesn't. To each his own.

o

Most seafood is contaminated now. You have to choose certain kinds from certain regions to be assured of some safety. And the radiation from Japan may have reduced the pool of safe seafood even farther.

bboy, always the bluebird of happiness.

o

Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on Sat, Jan 19, 13 at 16:27

"Most seafood is contaminated now. You have to choose certain kinds from certain regions to be assured of some safety. And the radiation from Japan may have reduced the pool of safe seafood even farther."

Yikes! Japan nuclear cooties. Thank goodness (according to the gov't), the USA milk, air, and precip were still "below levels that are a public-health concern." Not okay, mind you, but...acceptable (back in 2011, anyway).

"Other U.S. agencies are also addressing concerns about whether radiation from Japan might affect
food production in the United States or in U.S. territories in the Pacific. The Environmental
Protection Agency (EPA) is continuously monitoring the nation�s air and is regularly monitoring
drinking water, milk, and precipitation for environmental radiation. To date, the results of EPA�s
sampling and monitoring have shown detected radiation below levels that are a public-health concern."

Bill's right: "bboy, always the bluebird of happiness."

Here is a link that might be useful: Congressional Research Service

o

bboy has given current information, not from 2 years ago. Just this week there were reports that they have found fish with radiation levels more than 2500 times the legal limit.

An excellent source for information about seafood can be found through the Montery Aquarium's Seafood Watch.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here