Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Code of ethics for journalists

Posted by nikoleta (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 23, 13 at 17:27

A free press, and freedom of expression are two different things.

We tell ourselves we have a free press, but we know better. With a free press, CBS hot shot John Dickerson would not be hopping up on Barack Obama's lap and seeking his favor with advice on how to "decimate" his opposition.

For those who care, here's a code of ethics that helps real journalists hold themselves to a higher standard than CBS requires of its employees, including the head of it's political news division.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ethics in Journalism

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Code of ethics for journalists

nikoleta wrote,

A free press, and freedom of expression are two different things.
We tell ourselves we have a free press, but we know better. With a free press, CBS hot shot John Dickerson would not be hopping up on Barack Obama's lap and seeking his favor with advice on how to "decimate" his opposition.

For those who care, here's a code of ethics that helps real journalists hold themselves to a higher standard than CBS requires of its employees, including the head of it's political news division.

Are you saying that the publishing of political opinions is not covered by the 1st Amendment's guarantee of freedom of the press, and that therefore it would be Constitutional to outlaw writings such as the one in question?

Do you understand the difference between a journalist writing a news article and a commentator writing an opinion piece?

How do you feel about the ethics behind the following obligation, given in the link you provided?

"Admit mistakes and correct them promptly."

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 23, 13 at 18:16

Yeah, I hear Beyonce lip-synched the National Anthem... lead story I do believe.

o

President Obama was on a 200 Million a day trip to India why I read that posted on here in the funny papers! It devolved into a grudging egg on face but what good is the trip doing us for what it does cost piece! Ah those were the day eh NIK?

o

here's a code of ethics that helps real journalists hold themselves to a higher standard

Are you really sure that you want to supply us with this information given your history of citing the most partisan of sources peddling misinformation to the willing-to-be-deceived faithful?

o

Journalism is only the tip of the iceberg where ethics are concerned. The world could use a shot or two of ethics and integrity in a whole lot of other more important areas... areas where it used to be second nature.

o

Journalists are reporting what their audience wants to hear. Our news is so dumbed down it isn't recognizable as news. If TV news or print news returned to the types of stories that were reported in the 60s no one would watch or read it. If you want it to change then let them know you don't care, aren't interested in the Kardashians or whether Beyonce lips inked the song.

o

Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, the Onion and anything on utube by George Carlin pretty much covers all the news.

o

fato: "Do you understand the difference between a journalist writing a news article and a commentator writing an opinion piece?"

Do you understand the difference between a journalist and a discussion forum poster? As far as I can tell, Nik is not a journalist.

Jodi: "The world could use a shot or two of ethics and integrity in a whole lot of other more important areas... areas where it used to be second nature."

Bothell: "Journalists are reporting what their audience wants to hear"

Jodi & Bothell, well said, IMO.

o

elvis wrote,

fato: "Do you understand the difference between a journalist writing a news article and a commentator writing an opinion piece?"

Do you understand the difference between a journalist and a discussion forum poster? As far as I can tell, Nik is not a journalist.

It is quite obvious that nikoleta is not a journalist, I agree. But what is the relevance of your question? I did not refer to her as a journalist.

I await with interest her answers to my questions.

o

What is the point of this thread? Other than a secret handshake between those "in the know" (which is to say, conservatives). If you needed a way to figure out who is and who is not a conservative, I can see why the secret handschake might be useful, but everybody on this forum already knows the political affiliations of those who have posted on this thread. So the secret handshake would seem to be superfluous.

Kate

o

dublinkay wrote,

What is the point of this thread?

I am hoping it is to clarify the roles of news reporter and commentator, the relationship to Constitutional rights, and certain ethical issues pertaining to disseminating information.

Hoping.

This post was edited by Factotem on Thu, Jan 24, 13 at 12:24

o

You're such a pie-eyed optimist, facto!

Kate

o

"Other than a secret handshake between those "in the know" (which is to say, conservatives)."

Late, The point is to share information. It's not secret information. The organization's code of ethics is there for all to see. Whether or not you care what it says is your call.

o

"The SPJ Code of Ethics is voluntarily embraced by thousands of journalists, regardless of place or platform, and is widely used in newsrooms and classrooms as a guide for ethical behavior. The code is intended not as a set of "rules" but as a resource for ethical decision-making. It is not � nor can it be under the First Amendment � legally enforceable."

This code of ethics is not law, nor is it a right or a legal qualifier in any way-it is just what we hope for in our journalists who are "FREE" to pretty much say what ever they want. A Free press is actually contitutionally the right for the press to not be imposed on or limited by actions of the government- I as a citizen can limit the press by holding them to legal standards of truth if their statements about me or my business are untrue and I can prove those statement materially damaged me. This is not a right of the government. The limits on journalists are made by who ever employes them-different agencies have different rules. If I dont like what Fox news says I am not required to watch or listen. I am free to make fun of their grade school approach to news by my constitutionally guarenteed right of free speech-which by the way is not the same thing as freedom of the press. So there.

o

Thank you, patriciae.

o

nikoleta wrote,

The organization's code of ethics is there for all to see. Whether or not you care what it says is your call.

How do you feel about the ethics behind the following obligation, given in the link you provided?

o

Kate -

You're such a pie-eyed optimist, facto!

Well, note that I didn't say "expecting"...!

o

"This code of ethics is not law, nor is it a right or a legal qualifier in any way-it is just what we hope for in our journalists who are "FREE" to pretty much say what ever they want."

Yep.

o

So then if your answer is "yep", what's your point? What is this exercise all about? More hoop jumping?

o

@nikoleta -

o

"If I dont like what Fox news says I am not required to watch or listen. I am free to make fun of their grade school approach to news by my constitutionally guarenteed right of free speech-which by the way is not the same thing as freedom of the press. So there."

Nicely put, Patricia!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here