Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Speed up Afghan withdrawal

Posted by esh_ga z7 GA (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 11, 13 at 17:30

Well, that sounds like good news!

President Barack Obama and President Hamid Karzai of Afghanistan agreed after talks at the White House on Friday to slightly speed up the process that calls for American and other NATO forces to leave that war-torn country by late 2014.

Here is a link that might be useful: source

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Speed up Afghan withdrawal

I'd love to see every NATO troop pulled out of that country NOW. They don't want us, and with that in mind, there's no reason for us to be there. That includes once we leave and the Taliban takes the country back over. I don't want to hear it when they ask for help. No Hablo.

o

Things will go to hell,but get out now. My nephew is on his 3rd tour there, pilots drones. Kinda too bad tho, lots of the people would like to come out of the stone age.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 11, 13 at 23:14

You'd think that in a country where women are chattle quick withdrawal would be a natural thing, easily accomplished in that social environment.

o

Too late for those who lost everything in Afghanistan, but never too late to prevent more deaths, dismantled families, and a country (USA) on the brink of economic ruin.

The men and women sacrificed their all for?_______________________________________________ (fill in the blank)

o

That's what makes me sick, Brush.

I know a wonderful man that was there for several tours.

Those experiences contributed to his recent divorce and many problems.

And for what?

You'd think we would have learned with Vietnam.

If you're going to get in, know why, how committed you are, and when to get out.

The money is one thing, but the lives lost and ignored, is inexcusable.

o

WWII was the last commitment to winning a war.

o

ha bboy, I got it, ba-da-ch!

It's not really a funny subject, but what you said was.

The unfortunate thing is that the people who should have been listened to before we went in were ignored. There shouldn't be any regretting leaving, we should be regretting having gone in at all. Just like Vietnam.

o

Horsehockey. We never should've gone into Iraq, and diverted forces from Afghanistan, weakening our position there. We had every right to go into Afghanistan, and I STILL think we did the right thing to go in. But our mission there was completed with the dismantling of Al Queda, and it's time to go. Let those morons kill their own.

o

We had every right to go into Afghanistan, and I STILL think we did the right thing to go in. But our mission there was completed with the dismantling of Al Queda, and it's time to go. Let those morons kill their own.

My sentiments exactly, Bill.

o

Oh stop bill, you make me all hot when you get vehement like that.

But seriously, you and I are talking across each other. I am not talking about rights ... yes, we were sold on the idea that we could get OBL and Al Quaeda if we invaded Afghanistan, and so there was justice in our wanting to go after those who had attacked us, yes, we had "the right".

But it turns out, the people who said we should have been focusing moreover on Pakistan were the ones who were "right".

Look, this isn't "I told anyone so," I didn't. I thought Afghanistan was the place to be to get the effers too. But people who knew better were telling me "Pakistan" way back right after 9/11. I'd offer you proof, but I'm not sure how you can pull up old AOL message boards lol. I can admit when I am wrong, and evidently I was.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 12, 13 at 11:53

Fill me in, were we asked to invade Afghanistan? I don't remember.

If not, there goes "every right".

Suppose Afghanistan invaded Maine, thinking it had every right to do so. That'd be okay, because it was thought to be righteous by the invaders?

The Arabs that flew into the Manhattan towers had a god on their side.

o

Sickens me to hear Americans denigrate the people of countries they have spent ten years reducing to rubble to bring them the kind of 'democracy' that they are so scared of in their own country that they have to have guns under their beds . . .

To the Macedonians it was a defeat. To the British it was a defeat (twice). To the Russians it was a defeat. To the Americans it is 'Don't ask us us for any more help, morons.'

It's called 'cut and run'. Just another loss to another Third World, self-created enemy.

o

Fill me in, were we asked to invade Afghanistan? I don't remember.

Yes, we were. The president made an international statement that Al Queda was our enemy, and that we would hunt down those responsible for 9/11, and those who would harbor said criminals would also be considered as enemy combatants and treated as such. So yes, they DID invite us.

Suppose Afghanistan invaded Maine, thinking it had every right to do so. That'd be okay, because it was thought to be righteous by the invaders?

They say that one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. From my point of view, they'd be mistaken.

But it turns out, the people who said we should have been focusing moreover on Pakistan were the ones who were "right".

We should've gone into Pakistan, TOO.

o

Invade a country with nuclear missiles?

What could possibly go wrong?

o

Nothing did.

o

We should've gone into Pakistan, TOO.

No one in their right mind was suggesting that.

Pakistan, in its concern regarding all threats (real and imagined) from India, is sympathetic to the Taliban in that it is a counter-weight to India's influence in Afghanistan. There were, and still are, calls for a negotiated settlement of the disputes in Kashmir -- on Pakistan's eastern border with India. Certain Taliban groups are tolerated by Pakistan because they are operating in Kashmir against Indian influence. With a settlement of autonomy and other demands, destabilization lessens on Pakistan's eastern borders and tensions eased with its arch-enemy India.

That still leaves Pakistan with the problem of the Baloch secessionists.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 13, 13 at 7:52

"we should have gone into Pakistan TOO"

"Sickens me to hear Americans denigrate the people of countries they have spent ten years reducing to rubble to bring them the kind of 'democracy' that they are so scared of in their own country that they have to have guns under their beds . . ."

Can be confusing can't it Jon :)

o

From the beginning, my contention was that our real enemies were the Saudi Arabians (Wahhabism) and Pakistanis (supporting the Taliban). I supported the invasion of Afghanistan to destroy the al Qaeda movement and drive out the Taliban. I did not support the installation of such a corrupt system of cronyism and warlordism. We were too busy invading Iraq to pay attention and so have been propping up drug lords and other corrupt clans and critters.

I am embarrassed for my country.

o

"we should have gone into Pakistan TOO"

Bill, where have you been? We've been waging war in Pakistan for almost 4 years!

June 2012.

"We are fighting a war in the FATA, we are fighting a war against terrorism," said Defense Secretary Leon Panetta on Wednesday, referring to the tribal areas of Pakistan that the U.S. has spent three years bombing heavily. Was that so hard to admit?

For years, it has been. Neither the Bush nor Obama administration has been forthright about the starkest fact of the recent war on terrorism: most of it takes place in western Pakistan. As CIA director and now Pentagon chief, Panetta has been one of the key architects of the accelerated drone-and-commando war the U.S. wages there in what amounts to an open secret. In 2009, the critical year in that acceleration, Danger Room boss Noah Shachtman started pressing the Obama administration for disclosure about a war the U.S. waged in all but name.

Why didn't you know much about it, Bill? Here's the answer.

Second, it’s politically perilous to ask a war-weary public to get used to fighting what’s effectively a third war in a decade, even if this one relies far more on remote controlled robots than ground troops. That’s suited the Pakistani government: it’s given the U.S. tacit support for the drone strikes and enough cynical public denunciation of them to ward off popular upheaval. It’s unknown how many civilians die in the drone strikes, but it’s undeniable �" except, sometimes, by the White House �" that some do.

Who is going to view the movie Zero Dark Thirty? Why? Do you need to feel it? Be a part of the killing action? Does it make you "proud"?

The War on Terror. The lie that keeps on going, and going, and going.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here