Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Want gun control, tell your Representatives

Posted by jillinnj (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 20, 13 at 20:11

Email from dailykos:

President Obama announced a series of executive orders on gun safety. However, the most important changes we can make to improve gun safety in America can only come with congressional action. These include:

Universal background checks whenever someone buys a gun, whether it is from a licensed dealer or a private seller;
Restoring the ban on military-style assault weapons, and a 10 round limit for magazines;
Improving access to mental health services;
Increasing funding for school security and safety

As President Obama himself said, "this will not happen unless the American people demand it." That means you.

If you'd like to email your representative, the link is below. I just did, although I already know mine will vote for the measures.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gun Control Now

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Want gun control, tell your Representatives

Done. And I'm sending this to people in my email address book and posting it on my Facebook wall.

o

In the interest of fair play, equal time, and all that jazz, here's a link to do the exact same thing for the pro gun side:

Here is a link that might be useful: Let em know their job is on the line

o

Done, but I had to try two times before the auto-search found my representative. I know it's Henry Waxman, but the first search directed me to someone else.

o

Thats what weve been doing all weekend. Signing up NRA members. Helping write emails and letters to senators and congressmen. Very successful weekend. Lots of past NRA members rejoining.
Mike Kelley says he is being swamped by pro gun folks.

o

Nancy, I didn't know that you were such an avid supporter of Bill V's pro-gun stance. :)

Bill, how come there is a repeat button on your linked webpage -- ?

o

THis is what gets me. As of LAST weekend, the figure I was given was just over 250,000 new members to the NRA. IF that's accurate (nevermind what it's up to now), where's all this support leaving the progun side for the gun control side? Somebody fibbin!

o

See, there's an easy way to tell that she didn't go to my link. THe one Kos posted gets sent to your representative. My link will send it out to your representative, both senators, your STATE representative, and your governor.

o

what we found this weekend is there are few leaving the NRA, fewer than normal attrition actually.
We also found that many people were in favor of banning assault weapons, until we explained what an assault weapon really was vs a modern sporting rifle. When they found out that a ban would include their hunting rifles and shotguns, there was a lot of mind changing goin on. Many gun owners are no more educated on weapons than the banners are. they may know their benneli Super nova or their Remington 1100 but know very little about anything else; like trhey are the same as the so called assualt weapons except for appearance.
There need to be little effort made to educate the anti types, they only have an agenda, but much effort is needed to educate gun owners. Theis shotguns are NOT safe, nor are their deer rifles.

o

I had dinner last night with a family, 3 of the 5 being very pro-gun but only one with guns and a history of using and traveling with weapons, mostly shotguns. The youngest 30'ish gentleman only recently came to love guns by having access to a large arsenal owned by the father of a girl friend. Now he wants shotgun, the famous semi-automatic rifle with a 30-round clip, and a cool looking Glock to carry concealed. In conversation I was amazed at how little he knew of laws regulating personal arms in California. He complained that the local gun shop had few choices and a waiting list. He was unhappy that he'd have to fill out so many forms and wait up to ten days for a hand gun. He could have purchased a shotgun on the spot and walked out with minimum fuss. The shop owner kept asking him why he was buying these weapons; the asking really pizzzzed off the young man.

The attitude, you know, is I want what I want when I want it and I deserve to have what I want because I can afford the cost of what I want. It is kewl to carry concealed.

o

your representative, both senators, your STATE representative, and your governor.

I like my senators' stance on gun control just fine - Barbara Boxer and Dianne Feinstein. I have no worries about my state assemblyman, senator, and governor. I'm pleased with our CA Attorney General as well.

o

Yeh Marshall, I know what yer talking about. Ive spent a whole lot of time in gun shops lately. What is coming thru the doors, and what they want is not a good thing for those of us gun nuts who truly love guns and shooting. Even the shop owners cringe sometimes. What do ya do. ?? These people are waiting up to 4-5 hours for insta check because there are so many guns being sold.
I wish I knew the asnswer to a whole lot of stuff??

One good thing is store bought ammo is so high, a lot of these guns will be for sale in a few months and many will be shot rarely, especially the big bore types.

o

Yes, the cost of ammo shocked the young feller. The father of his girl friend took him out to a private interactive range where clay disk were fired from random directions and you had to knock them off with an over-and-under shotgun. The father paid big bucks to use the range and even more for the shells. Then they went to another part of the range to fire a bolt-action 50-caliber sniper rifle at sheets of steel. The guy said the ammo costs a couple of dollars each.

o

FF seeing that you are on this thread perhaps you might care to answer tthe question I put to yOu a few days ago on the crazy NRA thread.

""well, I am not. I dont carry as a rule. I stopped because of my vision. I can target shhot just fine but dont care to take chances in the midst of others. If I have to go to certain areas, like eastside erie, I wear. I dont really think I will need it but,who knows." so you stopped carrying a weapon because of your vision but you obviously did not give up your permit to carry a concealed weapon and still feel it is your right to carry one in public when you chose to?

o

Then they went to another part of the range to fire a bolt-action 50-caliber sniper rifle at sheets of steel. The guy said the ammo costs a couple of dollars each.

That's about normal for Barrett rounds. I mentioned a friend down in Fla that owns one, and he's paid as much as 5.00 a round for ammo for that thing, and he gets a discount being he's a firearms rep.

Theis shotguns are NOT safe, nor are their deer rifles.

This morning on George Stephenopoulous ROund Table, Cokey ROberts jumped all over Rick Santorum about "armor piercing rounds". Unfortunately he was too numb to have the answers for her. What people don't understand is that almost ANY hunting round will pierce a ballistic vest. The ones that won't, ironically enough, are the varmint rounds like .223 (the very same bullet in an AR-15), and maybe the .243. Anything else, though, from a .270 on up (including shotgun slugs), WILL go thru a vest rather easily. IN other words, outlaw armor piercing rounds, and you outlaw hunting.

o

I havent renewed my carry permit since a about 2000 or so?? If I feel I do need something, I use a Ruger Old Army, .44. Which is a blackpwder gun and very effective. Its not affected by any gun laws.Yes, I have the right.
Yes, the antis are frothing at the mouth now about anything and everything. The their their king can just take over the country!! Too bad they havent a clue of what they are talking about, but as I said, most people even many gun owners a clueless at what things really are.

o

"though, from a .270 on up (including shotgun slugs), WILL go thru a vest rather easily. IN other words, outlaw armor piercing rounds, and you outlaw hunting"

I would put pretty solid money that my expandable shotgun slug (Lightfield EXP) would not go through a ballistic vest. About the only couple off the top of my head that I think would is a Hornady SST or a Rem. CopperSolid. I think the rest shoot too slow and flatten quickly.

o

from Ff "If I feel I do need something, I use a Ruger Old Army, .44. Which is a blackpwder gun and very effective. Its not affected by any gun laws."
let me ask for clarification.
are you saying that you can carry this gun in public and not need a permit to do so?

o

Thanks, jill, for the link. I just contacted my rep--not that it will help probably, since I can already guess how my ultra-conservative rep will vote. But hey, I figure I ought to bug her on principle--at least she won't be able to say no one in Kansas favors gun control.

Kate

o

Thanks Jill for the link. I did it and posted it on FB.

o

thats correct quinn,. nor is a background check required. They are not classed as fire arms.

o

FF I just did a bit of investigation on the ruger old army.44 and apparently it can kill a deer at 40 yards...and yet it is not classed as a gun and required no background checks?

o

THis is what gets me. As of LAST weekend, the figure I was given was just over 250,000 new members to the NRA. IF that's accurate (nevermind what it's up to now), where's all this support leaving the progun side for the gun control side? Somebody fibbin!

My understanding was not the membership shrinking but that the members supported gun control policy. Like the Giffords that have a gun but support background checks, gun shows cannot sell guns without a background check etc.

I hope the membership grows. It helps the government keep track of where the guns are, who owns them, with addresses. The Patriot Act helps get that info anyway but the NRA membership will help make the law enforcement's job easier, especially if there are problems of mass shooting in an area.

o

I dont recall all the ballistics info and my books are other places. It would be very possible to harvest a deer at 40 yds. these revolvers are quite heavy, not a very likely weapon for a gang banger nor very well applied to protection. Concealed carry can be a poser too. Most black powder arms , especially the modern types, have ballistics comparable to some modern powder weapons.
Probably only a matter of time before the banners begin to attack these also.

o

"If I feel I do need something, I use a Ruger Old Army, .44. Which is a blackpwder gun and very effective. Its not affected by any gun laws.Yes, I have the right."

You do not have the right to carry that weapon concealed apparently. I just looked it up on the message board below. I would suggest that you give it a good once over before you commit a felony. According to some of the exceedingly knowledgeable people on that board, you would only be asking for trouble.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pennsylvania carry board

o

I think you are right on that, at least its what Ive also heard. But, sometimes the law is wrong and you have to weigh the options. Being tried by 12 always trumps being carried by 6.

o

sometimes the law is wrong

I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt...but you just fell off the responsible gun owner list. Not qualified to carry (due to eyesight)? But you will anyway.

o

I guess its cause I prefer self preservation over stupidity?? Its rare that I do anyhow.

o

OK, so as long as you only break the law rarely, it's all good. Really?

o

well, Im breaking no laws?
When I decided to stop carrying, which I didnt do ofet anyway I had serious vision problems. Since then, Ive regained sight to 20.50 in one eye. I have relearned to shoot both long guns and hand guns. I probably shoot as good now as ever. I still do not feel comfortable hunting with a rifle. At close range, I just dont miss my target. acquiring a target thru a high power scope is where I am uncomfortable, at quick pace.

o

FF here are your onw words of a few days ago
""well, I am not. I dont carry as a rule. I stopped because of my vision. I can target shhot just fine but dont care to take chances in the midst of others. If I have to go to certain areas, like eastside erie, I wear. I dont really think I will need it but,who knows."

so now you are saying you probably shoot as well as ever?

o

well, Im breaking no laws?

Above you said:

I havent renewed my carry permit since a about 2000 or so??

I don't know anything about the laws surrounding carry permits. Does it have to be renewed? Is your license current? Are you legally allowed to carry a weapon? Is a 'carry permit' the same as a permit to carry a concealed weapon? Sorry for all the questions but I don't know much about this.

o

under certain conditions I shoot pretty good.
yes, permits need renewels. I am not current on my concealed weapons permit.
How ever, I claim the right to be armed under the constitution.
I just called a friend(PA state trooper) and he rold me if the black powder gun is loaded and capped it is illegal to carry concealed. I guess I was wrong on that one. sometimes under fed law things are less stringent than state laws.
I suppose I did take it with me to the city once last year and 1 time in 2012. I guess the bottom line is one must make decisions, then live with consequences.

o

why do you get to chose which laws you will obey?

o

Please oh please, hurry! Ask your representatives do away with your Second Amendment rights!

o

Do you think that convicted fellons have the same right?

So, now I am back to my original comment, repeated here in case you forgot --

I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt...but you just fell off the responsible gun owner list. Not qualified to carry (due to eyesight)? But you will anyway.

-----------------

Ask your representatives do away with your Second Amendment rights!

May I suggest you read the proposals Obama/Biden have introduced before making such ridiculous claims.

o

under certain conditions I shoot pretty good.
I just called a friend(PA state trooper) and he rold me if the black powder gun is loaded and capped it is illegal to carry concealed. I guess I was wrong on that one. sometimes under fed law things are less stringent than state laws.
I suppose I did take it with me to the city once last year and 1 time in 2012. I guess the bottom line is one must make decisions, then live with consequences.

And here you have it. A responsible gun owner sucking the life out of the constitution.

Congratulations, ff. You've just, uh, shot yourself in the foot. You've just illustrated why gun ownership needs to be more regulated and enforced.

o

Frank, I wouldn't make that statement if I hadn't seen it. If you've got an underpowered shotgun slug, then I give you that one. Xpress 3" magnums (which is what I used to run through my shotgun) went through my brother's vest rathger easily. No, I didn't shoot my brother. He's DPS in Connecticut, and back several years ago, at a time when they were all being issued new vests, we took his old one out to the range and tried different calibers. If you want to be afraid of an assault weapon? be afraid of an AK-47. It uses a 7.62mm bullet-- same as a .308 caliber, which is about the same size as a 30/30, and it WILL penetrate a ballistic vest-- every single round made, whether it's made as an armor piercing round or not. Same with all the others I mentioned, from .270 on up.

o

Hi folks. I have been a member here for a few years and I come check what the Hot Topics are every now and then when something controversial is in the news. I know I can find some good arguments here from different points of view. This is my first post because gun control and ownership is something I feel strongly about.

First of all, I am a hunter. I own several guns and have been hunting since the age of ten. Started out with a Daisy BB gun and then graduated to a Benjamin pellet gun and then to shotguns, rifles, and eventually a pistol. My father is a gun collector and he taught me gun safety and respect for the weapon and animal before he ever let me hold a gun. I hunt deer because I love the taste of deer meat. You can't go wrong with some deer backstrap stuffed with cream cheese and jalapeno pepper slices, wrapped in bacon and grilled! Or some rabbit smothered down in onions.

I live in Louisiana and from personal experience I can tell you that it is not too difficult to get or own a gun. Years ago, I was in the New Orleans area and someone tried to get into my truck at a stop light. A vehicle was in front of me and another behind me so I could not simply drive off. The guy tried to open my passenger door and luckily for me, it was locked. I blew my horn and yelled at him to get away from my truck. By then the light changed and I was able to drive off without harm. The following week, I bought a 9mm pistol from my friend to carry in my truck. I went to the sheriff's office and had the gun registry transfered to me. The process didn't take very long. In Louisiana, the law states that your vehicle is an extention of your home and you are allowed to carry a gun without having it on display. There is also a "shoot the carjacker law" which you can Google and find out more if intrested. Thank God that I never had to pull the gun out but I did practice shooting it and got pretty good at changing clips (magagines is what the media calls it). Reducing the number of rounds that a clip can hold may not do much. I can empty a clip, eject it, insert a new clip, and chamber a round in a few seconds. In handgun competitions, there is an event where the shooter must fire, eject, and insert a full clip and begin firing again.
I'm not sure what is meant by a ban on military style assault weapons. Anyone with a Ruger .22 (small caliber round) can easily go online and purchase a kit to make it look like a bad mamma-jamma. One would think it is used by Seal Team 6 after some cool-looking props are added to it.

I do think that background checks need to be improved. I inherited several guns from both my grandfathers and several were given to me by my dad. No background check was needed for those? There are loop holes in the system.

I am currently teaching my sevin year old how to properly handle and shoot a gun. He is still too small to handle a higher caliber rifle even in youth size. Last month I took him deer hunting with me. I could have easily killed a deer that day but decided that my son was enjoying watching him eat in the food plot so I decided not to shoot. The deer got a free pass but may not be as lucky next time!

o

Reducing the number of rounds that a clip can hold may not do much.

The question here would deal with massacres and the people who do them. So experienced shooters have no trouble changing clips quickly - see Sandyhook where Mom had taken him to the range to practice.

However, non-experienced shooters do have trouble, see Tucson - it was when he tried to change clips and was bungling around that he was tackled, recent mall shooter who jammed his gun, and others.

So, limits on the number of rounds should help in some situations, not all.

I do think that background checks need to be improved. I inherited several guns from both my grandfathers and several were given to me by my dad. No background check was needed for those? There are loop holes in the system.

Yes, and a lot of people agree. As with current laws, when you purchase a gun from a licensed dealer, you get a background check. The registration - who bought the gun - isn't kept on record for more than a few days. While it may be a pain if you want to sell your gun privately to go to a licensed dealer and have him run a back ground check on the purchaser then that should help keep guns out of the hands of felons, people with restraining orders, and the mentally ill.

Of course, there would need to be some decent penalties if you don't, or lie about it. That would give fighting gun trafficking a boost. As it is now, its almost impossible to convict straw purchasers.

o

"Frank, I wouldn't make that statement if I hadn't seen it. If you've got an underpowered shotgun slug, then I give you that one. Xpress 3" magnums (which is what I used to run through my shotgun) went through my brother's vest rathger easily"

I just looked on several message boards, and I think that it depends as much on the quality of the vest as anything. I pointed out about the hottest shooting slug (Hornady). I have shot many slugs over the years, and I also know which ones are high performers. I will readily admit that my bulletproof vest knowledge is very limited.

Below is a video of a slug and a vest. No penetration, still deadly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Youtube video. Slug stopped by vest

o

Thanks for that video. That's pretty much what my brother and I were doing, too, except without the water jugs. You saw the 30/06, though, right? Lets say for the benefit of the doubt that I concede that no 12 ga. slug will go through. You're ready to ban all centerfire rifles?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here