Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Komen for the Cure Ditches Planned Parenthood

Posted by jerzeegirl 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 31, 12 at 20:46

Susan G. Komen for the Cure has made the decision to stop providing grants to Planned Parenthood. The grants which totaled roughly $680,000 last year and $580,000 the year before, went to at least 19 Planned Parenthood affiliates for breast-cancer screening and other breast-health services.

Planned Parenthood says Komen caved in to anti-abortion bullies. Komen says that Planned Parenthood is under investigation in Congress, a probe launched by a conservative Republican who was urged to act by anti-abortion groups, and they just changed their rules to not grant organizations under investigation.

It saddens me that once again women have become pawns in a political game and that women will not be able to get cancer prevention screenings because of some grandstanding congressional jackass who has an axe to grind.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Komen for the Cure Ditches Planned Parenthood

Yep saw that a shame quite literally a shame!

o

Could be somebody's mother, or daughter, or wife, or sister. Someone that doesn't get the screening she needs to save her life in time.

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 31, 12 at 21:18

That's shameful, and very cowardly

I have very mixed feelings about Komen.

They take in so much money, other cancer charities and research programs are not getting money they need, and research is suffering because of it.

o

I suggest people donate to their local chapter of Planned Parenthood and notify Komen Fdn. that they have done so and won't be donating nor helping in the Race for the Cure and why. A donation to a local PP will help a lot more than a like donation to Komen as it will all be utilized by PP instead of the small percentage that would have been funneled to them by Komen.

o

I agree with dockside. Quit donating to Komen and instead to PP where it will do the most good for poorer women who need breast screenings.

o

Another chapter of the Republicans' war on women.

o

As appalled as I am that an organization would place the values of special interest groups ahead of a mission to serve all women, the Komen Foundation was corrupted a long time ago so this comes as no surprise.

I'm assuming the funding for mammograms has been reduced. The article didn't specifically say what services. If anyone has been following news about screenings for prostate cancer, etc., mammographies also appear to be more hype than useful.

This was in the New York Times last October:

"A new analysis published Monday in Archives of Internal Medicine offers a stark reality check about the value of mammography screening. Despite numerous testimonials from women who believe "a mammogram saved my life," the truth is that most women who find breast cancer as a result of regular screening have not had their lives saved by the test, conclude two Dartmouth researchers, Dr. H. Gilbert Welch and Brittney A. Frankel.

Dr. Welch notes that clearly some women are helped by mammography screening, but the numbers are lower than most people think. The Dartmouth researchers conducted a series of calculations estimating a woman�s 10-year risk of developing breast cancer and her 20-year risk of death, factoring in the added value of early detection based on data from various mammography screening trials as well as the benefits of improvements in treatment. Among the 60 percent of women with breast cancer who detected the disease by screening, only about 3 percent to 13 percent of them were actually helped by the test, the analysis concluded.

(clip)

"The presumption often is that anyone who has had cancer detected has survived because of the test, but that�s not true," Dr. Welch said. "In fact, and I hate to have to say this, in screen-detected breast and prostate cancer, survivors are more likely to have been overdiagnosed than actually helped by the test."

How is it possible that finding cancer early isn�t always better? One way to look at it is to think of four different categories of breast cancer found during screening tests. First, there are slow-growing cancers that would be found and successfully treated with or without screening. Then there are aggressive cancers, so-called bad cancers, that are deadly whether they are found early by screening, or late because of a lump or other symptoms. Women with cancers in either of these groups are not helped by screening.

Then there are innocuous cancers that would never have amounted to anything, but they still are treated once they show up as dots on a mammogram. Women with these cancers are subject to overdiagnosis � meaning they are treated unnecessarily and harmed by screening.

Finally, there is a fraction of cancers that are deadly but, when found at just the right moment, can have their courses changed by treatment. Women with these cancers are helped by mammograms. Clinical trial data suggests that 1 woman per 1,000 healthy women screened over 10 years falls into this category, although experts say that number is probably even smaller today because of advances in breast cancer treatments.

Colin Begg, head of the department of epidemiology and biostatistics at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York, said that he supports mammography screening and believes that it does save lives. But he agrees that many women wrongly attribute their survival after cancer to early detection as a result of mammography.

"Of all the women who have a screening test who have breast cancer detected, and eventually survive the cancer, the vast majority would have survived anyway," Dr. Begg said. "It only saved the lives of a very small fraction of them."

The notion that screening mammograms aren�t helping large numbers of women can be hard for many women and breast cancer advocates to accept. It also raises questions about whether there are better uses for the hundreds of millions of dollars spent on awareness campaigns and the $5 billion spent annually on mammography screening.

One of the reasons screening doesn�t make much difference is that advances in breast cancer treatment make it possible to save even many women with more advanced cancers.

"Screening is but one of the tools that we have to reduce the chance of dying of breast cancer," Dr. Esserman said. "The treatments that we have actually make up for a good deal of the benefits of screening."

The Dartmouth analysis comes two years after a government advisory panel�s recommendations to scale back mammography screening angered many women and advocacy groups. The panel, the United States Preventive Services Task Force, advised women to delay regular screening until age 50, instead of 40, and to be tested every other year, instead of annually, until age 74. The recommendations mean a woman would undergo just 13 mammograms in her lifetime, rather than the 35 she would experience if she began annual testing at age 40.

But the new recommendations have scared many women who believe skipping an annual mammogram puts them at risk of finding breast cancer too late. But Donald Berry, a biostatistician at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, said adding more screening is not going to help more women.

"Most breast cancers are not lethal, however found," Dr. Berry said. "Screening mammograms preferentially find cancers that are slowly growing, and those are the ones that are seldom deadly. Getting something noxious out of the body as soon as possible leads women to think screening saved their lives. That is most unlikely."

Dr. Love, a clinical professor of surgery at the David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles, says the scientific understanding of cancer has changed in the years since mammography screening was adopted. As a result, she would like to see less emphasis on screening and more focus on cancer prevention and treatment for the most aggressive cancers, particularly those that affect younger women. Roughly 15 percent to 20 percent of breast cancers are deadly.

"There are still 40,000 women dying every year," Dr. Love said. "Even with screening, the bad cancers are still bad."

Here is a link that might be useful: nytimes

o

Well ladies,

It's time you OCCUPY Komen for the cure.

o

Amen, brushworks...

o

dockside - thanks for the idea. I'm making my donation today and will indicate it is to cover the shortfall on breast exams funding by Komen.

And I'm telling my friends!

o

I too have heard stories about the Komen organization being corrupt. I am just shocked that they caved so easily and didn't continue to support their "sister" organization. I read that many of the local Komen groups are not happy with the decision.

As far as mammograms not saving lives....even though the doctors may be correct that most of the cancers are not deadly, who would want to live with even a well behaved breast cancer? Maybe screening doesn't always "save lives" but I am sure it provides a certain level of assurance and comfort.

It's my understanding that for prostate cancer, it's different because the "cures" can be worse than actually living with the disease.

o

I concur with Dockside...

o

Its a sad thing when organizations cave to bullying from a faction especially when this has nothing to do with abortion. The fact is Planned Parenthood is the first source for cancer screening for many women in the country who lack the financial means or insurance to get it anywhere else. Its bad enough that the anti-abortionists ignore the other preventive medical services offered by Planned Parenthood but now they are attacking the funders of PP's non-abortion related health care services. They seek to kill Planned Parenthood both by denying federal funding and driving off NGO funding of what are disease prevention medical services in order to deny women access to the small part of their practice that involves abortion.

o

• Posted by sweeby Gulf Coast TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 1, 12 at 10:25

What will happen to less-privileged women without Planned Parenthood? And by less-privileged, I mean the lower 80% not the lower 20%... Planned Parenthood provided virtually all of the contraceptive and gynecological health services in my college town -- the student health clinic didn't do that stuff.

The posters above are right -- If there's an organization anywhere that needs and deserves my money, Planned Parenthood is it. I would urge every woman to do the same --

Althea - Thank you for the very informative information about the limited benefits of mammography. It IS a bit counter-intuitive, but therefore all the more important.

o

• Posted by lenam Fitzwalkerstan (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 1, 12 at 10:32

I am so over pink.

o

"What will happen to less-privileged women without Planned Parenthood?"

They'll be fine. Save your money. Obamacare will make PP obsolete.

o

Nik, that is simply not true. While the Affordable Care Act does make no-cost disease preventive services (similar to those offered by PP) more widely available. PP is a brick and mortar facility in communities across the country that provides care to women so it is not just about policy - its also about access and about preserving people's options. As it was repeated frequently during the healthcare debate, the Affordable Care Act was not designed to close facilities or replace care that people are receiving. That's something conservatives are doing.

o

Google "Komen foundation corrupt"
and you pull up a lot of right wing blogs talking about their victory. They are ecstatic.

I gave a sizable donation to them last year when my daughter ran in the race for the cure.
I've told her if she chooses to run next year I will not be donating.
I'm spreading the word.

o

I'm spreading the word too. It's circulating on Facebook as well.

o

"As it was repeated frequently during the healthcare debate, the Affordable Care Act was not designed to close facilities or replace care that people are receiving."

Agreed. The facility remains open, and services continue to be provided. Obamacare's insurance mandate simply makes the need for private fundraising to support a Planned Parenthood provider obsolete.

o

Please help me!! I JUST signed up to do the walk. $300 raised so far. I've always wanted to do this walk....

Now I'm really conflicted. Any advice welcomed.

~Silver

o

Wow, imagine the impact you could have by cancelling your participation and telling them why!

o

My breast cancer was discovered at a very early stage thanks to a routime mammo. They do save lives!

I was just listening to a call in show on PBS about the issue with PP
and Komen. The callers were furious and almost to a person said they would no longer support Komen. Some were going to donate
directly to the Cancer Society others directly to PP.

o

Race for the Cure was a race I did every year, raised money and raced myself. It was a great idea when it was small (so much of it stays local, but some of it goes to national research), but it sounds like its administration is getting out of hand. I'll assume they are trying to distance themselves from association with PP, not avoiding giving screenings. Until I hear otherwise.

o

Wed, Feb 1, 12 at 13:47

Silver: Please help me!! I JUST signed up to do the walk. $300 raised so far. I've always wanted to do this walk....

Could you do the walk, but tell your sponsors it is for Planned Parenthood (or other appropriate cause)? And wear a GREEN t-shirt ;-).

#OccupyTheCure

o

It is possible that these poor women can still get mammograms. It just depends on how creative PP and Komen are.

To begin with not all PP's do mammograms. Some are sent out to breast centers with PP/Komen/whomever picking up the tab. This model just might have to be emulated everywhere where PP could sent patients out, and Komen could help fund them.

o

Obamacare's insurance mandate simply makes the need for private fundraising to support a Planned Parenthood provider obsolete.

Only if you ignore the fact that PP offers care to low income women in underserved communities where it is their ONLY source of care or that they are a non-profit that provides low-cost healthcare services cheaper than private practices or hospitals can provide.

o

I don't know if this has anything to do with Komen's decision, but it would be plausible:

"According to Jezebel's Erin Gloria Ryan, however, the influence of another key player in the Komen organization goes a long way in explaining its decision to defund: Karen Handel, who ran for governor of Georgia in 2010 and lost, despite an endorsement by none other than Sarah Palin, has been Komen's senior vice president for public policy since April 2011. On her campaign blog (fire up the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine because, curiously, these pages don't exist anymore), Handel wrote: "I will be a pro-life governor who will work tirelessly to promote a culture of life in Georgia. ... I believe that each and every unborn child has inherent dignity, that every abortion is a tragedy, and that government has a role, along with the faith community, in encouraging women to choose life in even the most difficult of circumstances. ...since I am pro-life, I do not support the mission of Planned Parenthood."

Handel even "promised to eliminate funding for breast and cervical cancer screenings provided by" Planned Parenthood, according to Jezebel.

No wonder the right wing sites are celebrating.

Here's a bit more on mammogram screenings.

"In part, doctors and patients are stuck in a sort of cancer time warp. The disease was defined in 1845 by a German doctor, Rudolf Virchow, who looked at tumors taken at autopsy and said cancer is an uncontrolled growth that spreads and kills. But, of course, he was looking only at cancers that killed. He never saw the others.
"Now we are backing away from that," Dr. Brawley said. In recent years, researchers have found that many, if not most, cancers are indolent. They grow very slowly or stop growing altogether. Some even regress and do not need to be treated � they are harmless.

"We are going from an 1845 definition of cancer to a 21st-century definition of cancer," Dr. Brawley said.

Dr. Brawley, too, noticed that more people are starting to understand the limitations of screening, and its risks.

Change, though, has been slow in the face of intense promotion of screening by medical practices, hospitals and advocacy groups and years of misunderstandings about screening�s benefits and risks.

"You�ve got all this positive stuff" about screening, Dr. Brawley said. "And you have been taught since you were on your mother�s knee that the way to deal with cancer is to find it early and to cut it out."

Yet he is optimistic.

"I think people are actually starting to understand that we need to be a little more rigorous in what we accept about screening," Dr. Brawley said. "I do sense there is some movement there." "

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/30/health/cancer-screening-may-be-more-popular-than-useful.html?_r=2

On the risk of radiation induced breast cancer:

RESULTS:

For a cohort of 100 000 women each receiving a dose of 3.7 mGy to both breasts and who were screened annually from age 40 to 55 years and biennially thereafter to age 74 years, it is predicted that there will be 86 cancers induced and 11 deaths due to radiation-induced breast cancer."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21081671

Here is a link that might be useful: the atlantic

o

As if we needed more reasons to dump the Komen regime.

In addition to raising millions of dollars a year for breast cancer research, fundraising giant Susan G. Komen for the Cure has a lesser-known mission that eats up donor funds: patrolling the waters for other charities and events around the country that use any variation of "for the cure" in their names.

Here is a link that might be useful: Elbow Out Other Fundraisers

o

Ah Althea you beat me to it.

Besides Handel, there's also one Julie Teer, a key fundraiser for Romney in 2008.

Looks like a hijack alright. No wonder the rightwingers are celebrating. Celebrating the gutting of healthcare for women, no less.

o

Wed, Feb 1, 12 at 16:25

Ok,

#OccupyForTheCure it is.

o

I agree Maggie, it looks like a hijack. Here's more on Komen's conservative founder, and a board member. It also says PP has taken in $400,000 since the news broke this morning.

Here is a link that might be useful: mojo

o

Komen spokeswoman Leslie Aun said the cutoff results from the charity's newly adopted criteria barring grants to organizations that are under investigation by local, state or federal authorities. According to Komen, this applies to Planned Parenthood because it's the focus of an inquiry launched by Rep. Cliff Stearns, R-Fla., seeking to determine whether public money was improperly spent on abortions.

I would say that someone knew that Komen would drop the funding if PP was "under investigation" and they made sure that would be.

o

Wed, Feb 1, 12 at 17:43

o

Wed, Feb 1, 12 at 18:27

Make that $401,000 ---

o

I think it's really bad business when a national not-for-profit feels they need to make a political statement like this because it can only alienate those who don't agree. It puts the organization in an entirely different light now. The organization's mission statement is "to end breast cancer forever." I suggest they change it to "to end breast cancer forever except for those who use Planned Parenthood facilities in which case we wish you the best of luck."

o

I couldn't agree more, Esh and Jerzee.

I had originally thought the idea was to end breast cancer, not add to it with questionable products, and make it more difficult for more women to get the preemptive screening that could save their lives.

But money and power are more important than people... once again...

o

Yay Sweeby!

"...to end breast cancer forever for those who can pay for it". All others, drop dead.

Althea--that doesn't sound like a charity at all. The only one who needs to get ditched here is Komen.

Stearns is behind this. He is on ALEC's payroll. Since bigotry and greed go hand in hand, watch out for another McBill.

o

It has been out there for quite a while that the Komen foundation was siphoning money that would normally go to the cancer society which covers all forms of cancer. Lot's of money spent on advertising, whereas the cancer society spends more on research and finding a cure. I've always given to the cancer society.

o

I hope Komen sees a huge drop in its donations. In fact, I would like to see them end up broke. Politics does not have a place in health care and, unfortunately, that appears to be what drives everything these days, especially when it is right wing politics. Whatever anyone claims, this is an attack on women. Planned Parenthood provided me with PAP screens when I was in college 40 years ago and could not afford a private doctor. Thank you PP.

o

It has been out there for quite a while that the Komen foundation was siphoning money that would normally go to the cancer society which covers all forms of cancer.

It's hard to get that big and not start to get too big for your pink britches.

I feel sorry for their sponsors - people are already talking about avoiding products with pink ribbons.

o

There are petitions on line please don;t be callous or irresponsible let you voice be heard on this issue.

o
RE: Black Ribbons

I feel Maddie might have the right idea on this, and will be shopping for black ribbon tomorrow.

Maybe if enough women would wear them the Republican party would take heed (although doubtful). Women do vote, though. Thank Existence that hasn't been taken away from us...yet.

Oh, well. A return to the days of being barefoot and uncontrollably pregnant, married to a male supremacist, is probably what we will be eventually headed for under Sharia law, anyway. Might as well get it over with.

Right?

:o/

o

I think this will come back and bite Komen in the ass, and PP will see a big surge in donations. I've said it before, I don't see how any woman can vote republican.

o

Got my black ribbon! And wearing it today.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 2, 12 at 7:37

Maddie you nailed it !!

o

It's disappointing when a valuable organization makes a political decision that impacts the lives of the women it is supposed to be helping. Hopefully its high profile and resulting ruckus will bring awareness of the very important need Planned Parenthood fills.

o

Jerzee, I thought I had read a nice summary with the numbers about problems associated with mammography to respond to your earlier comment "It's my understanding that for prostate cancer, it's different because the "cures" can be worse than actually living with the disease." I can't find what I thought was online, but it summed up the problems with false negatives, false positives (radiologists don't want to be sued) which result in callbacks for more expensive tests and biopsies, surgeries with their associated problems, and the psychological trauma that goes along with the this. When you look at the numbers,mass screening, especially beginning at age 40 doesn't make sense. Of course, if you want to get a mammogram you certainly can.

Mother Jones has an article about Komen's refusal to acknowledge the association between BPA & breast cancer. The article implies that this decision is because of influence by their sponsors.

PP should be proud to no longer be associated with Komen.

Here is a link that might be useful: mojo

o
Yup we're crying you a river here

Thu, Feb 2, 12 at 8:57

Handel's PR is working hard to scrub this RT.

o

"Please help me!! I JUST signed up to do the walk. $300 raised so far. I've always wanted to do this walk...."

I can't tell you what to do, but bless you for caring, and for trying to help find a cure. I suspect you are not alone in feeling conflicted.

o

Thank you jerzee for posting this info. I've been gone for a couple days, so am just catching up now, but I've already signed a petition protesting Koman's action and policies. Now I plan to make a donation to PP and get me a black ribbon--I like that idea.

Let's face it--the issue is abortion politics, not mammagraphy effectiveness. Koman is trying to do to PP what the Republicans did to ACORN--destroy it completely because its goals do not accord with those of KOMAN/Republicans. These are concerted political attacks, and the destruction of ACORN is the model they are following.

That PP does many good things that KOMAN/Pro-lifers would actually approve of is not the point to them. Until Planned Parenthood is willing to stand up publically and REPENT of its support of abortion medical procedures--to actually DENOUNCE its former association in any way, shape, or form with abortion, KOMAN/PRo-lifers are determined to PUNISH PP and try to DESTROY it. That is their politics. That poor women will suffer in the meantime is just "collateral damage" in their WAR ON ABORTION.

My language is not exaggerating. I'm taking the metaphors from the Pro-life sites--that is the kind of language they use to celebrate this victory over Planned Parenthood.

Kate

o

You are not exaggerating.
This is a fundamentalist "Christian" holy war.
My sister has a young home schooled student that works part time for them and last summer she could not be there for two weeks because she was going to " abortion boot camp" (her words)

Fundamentalist Christians, if you wonder why so many seem antagonistic towards you, this is it.
you try to force brand of fundamentalist Christianity on everyone else and then wonder why they are antagonistic toward you. DUH!!!!!!!!!!

o

Koman is trying to do to PP what the Republicans did to ACORN--destroy it completely because its goals do not accord with those of KOMAN/Republicans.

The GOP has the best interest of women as one of its core values!

This is a fundamentalist "Christian" holy war.

And women's health can be sacrificed for the greater good.

I hope the backlash from Komen's misstep is a wake-up call.

o

OK--just made my donation to Planned Parenthood in Kansas--the only one organization any more that provides abortion services in Kansas. Too bad if you don't live in the extreme northeast corner of Kansas--loooooong ride to get to an abortion provider.

Already posted the anti-Koman petition on my Facebook page.

Now, got to find a black ribbon before I leave the house this afternoon.

Kate

o

Let's not forget there are plenty of Republicans out there who are pro-choice. Here is a blog denouncing Komen from one of the GOP pro-choice web sites.

o
Roh-roh, anonymous got em

Thu, Feb 2, 12 at 13:04

Komen got a site redirect hack this morning so

became

Here is a link that might be useful: Komen Foundation Controversy Spurs Website Hack

o

Let's not forget there are plenty of Republicans out there who are pro-choice.

I wish their voices were better heard in GOP circles.

o
//Komen for the Cure Ditches Planned Parenthood

True, I have no idea how they can stand to vote.

o

Where can you get the black ribbon? I want one.

o

I do hope you all realize, that Planned Parenthood does not do mammograms?

o

Just go to the yard goods section at Wal-mart and buy 8 or 12 inches of black grosgrain ribbon. Cut ends at an angle, form a loop with the ribbon, and pin it to your jacket or shirt where the ribbon strands cross over each other. Instant black ribbon! And cheap.

Kate

o

Posted by mrskjun 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 2, 12 at 13:26

I do hope you all realize, that Planned Parenthood does not do mammograms?

That is my understanding.

Posted by bird_lover6 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 1, 12 at 14:02

It is possible that these poor women can still get mammograms. It just depends on how creative PP and Komen are.

To begin with not all PP's do mammograms. Some are sent out to breast centers with PP/Komen/whomever picking up the tab. This model just might have to be emulated everywhere where PP could sent patients out, and Komen could help fund them.

So, which is it, does Planned Parenthood not provide any mammograms at all, or only in certain locations, or does it in fact pay for mammograms conducted by some entity other than Planned Parenthood?

Does Planned Parenthood provide ultrasounds of the breast?

Does Planned Parenthood provide information as to how much of Komen's funds are used for paying doctors, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, nurses, etc.(mammograms and or ultrasounds if they do, in fact provide them)for visual/tactile breast exams, counseling and pamphlets, etc?

o

Mrskjun, I've seen the ugly stories from Brietbart trying to make something out of the fact that Planned Parenthood doesn't actually do the mammograms in their facility - they refer their clients to other facilities and PAY for the mammograms.

o
/////RE: Komen for the Cure Ditches Planned Parenthood

According to what I am reading, they do referrals for mammograms which the women's medicaid must pay for. Not PP. Komen has found that only 66% of the grants to PP are used for the purpose of screening, the rest eaten up in administrative costs. They have chosen to put the money to a more direct use, such as paying for mammograms and ultrasounds for women who need them.

o

This is what they said:

According to Planned Parenthood, the grants were $680,000 in 2011 and $580,000 in 2010, "going to at least 19 of its affiliates for breast-cancer screening and other breast-health services." The group also Tweeted, "In 5 years, support from Susan G. Komen allowed PP health centers to provide nearly 170,000 breast exams & 6,400 mammogram referrals."

Susan G. Komen foundation knew what they were funding when they did it. Komen should not just be now claiming that they are learning that PP didn't do the mammograms themselves.

o

Yes, lets all pretend based on no facts whatsoever that there's something illegal at PP not because there IS any real evidence (beyond the ravings of O'Reilly and Brietbart) of something fishy but because we think there must be something fishy - we just don't know it yet. Remind anyone of the same ignorant baseless attack on ACORN? Remind anyone of the dumb rationale for WMD in Iraq? It must be there - if its not there - that's proof it was moved to Syria. Duh!

o

kt, what you say might be true. I don't know all of the answers. But evidently Komen believes that more of what they give should go to the purpose of their giving. And that is certainly their prerogative. Personally, I give to the American Cancer Society, I would like to see a cure for all cancers.

o

Well, considering how prominent this story is in the news,
people can be more informed as to how their money is being used and how much is actually allocated to what they want it to be used for or not used for, and donate according.

It's all good.

o

Their purpose is to end breast cancer forever - This is taken directly from their mission statement. Paying for women to have mammograms seems well within their mission. It's a completely political decision, plain and simple, and no amount of lipstick can make this pig pretty.

In their attempt to be pro-life, they have become anti-life. How does that make sense?

o
Planned Parenthood Offers Free Mammograms

According to what I am reading, they do referrals for mammograms which the women's medicaid must pay for.

Would you please share where you have read this because it contradicts what I have found. Here's one example:

Planned Parenthood Arizona will host a free mobile mammography clinic, supported by a grant from the Phoenix Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure. [...]

To qualify for a free mammogram, the following requirements must be met:

must be 40 years or older;
must be uninsured or underinsured;
no mammogram in the last year;
no breast implants;
not currently breastfeeding or pregnant;
not eligible for AHCCCS or the AZ Department of Health Services Well-Woman Health Check program.

o

Only today has Koman come out publically with the statement that they stopped the money because it was not being used efficiently by Planned Parenthood. In other words, they thought of that reason AFTER all the furor broke out in the media over Koman dumping Planned Parenthood.

Do a google search and check the dates carefully. Koman was not giving that reason at all when the news first broke--BEFORE all the furor, in other words. At that time it was a purely legal matter, they claimed. Planned Parenthood was being investigated by a very partisan (Republican) congressional group that opposes abortion and therefore opposes Planned Parenthood. This afternoon, Koman is totally denying that reason.

Seems they can't get their own story straight.

Even more telling, go google the "pro-life" groups. They are celebrating the victory they achieved through Koman. Either Koman is in cahoots with the "pro-life" groups (in which case we know why they would suddenly defund PP), or Koman is being used (unwittingly?) by the "pro-life" groups. At any rate, the "pro-lifers" see this as a significant step in detroying Planned Parenthood.

But ignore all those facts. What do facts matter?

Kate

o

This may be of interest.

But three sources with direct knowledge of the Komen decision-making process told me that the rule was adopted in order to create an excuse to cut-off Planned Parenthood. (Komen gives out grants to roughly 2,000 organizations, and the new "no-investigations" rule applies to only one so far.) The decision to create a rule that would cut funding to Planned Parenthood, according to these sources, was driven by the organization's new senior vice-president for public policy, Karen Handel, a former gubernatorial candidate from Georgia who is staunchly anti-abortion and who has said that since she is "pro-life, I do not support the mission of Planned Parenthood." (The Komen grants to Planned Parenthood did not pay for abortion or contraception services, only cancer detection, according to all parties involved.) I've tried to reach Handel for comment, and will update this post if I speak with her.

The decision, made in December, caused an uproar inside Komen. Three sources told me that the organization's top public health official, Mollie Williams, resigned in protest immediately following the Komen board's decision to cut off Planned Parenthood. Williams, who served as the managing director of community health programs, was responsible for directing the distribution of $93 million in annual grants. Williams declined to comment when I reached her yesterday on whether she had resigned her position in protest, and she declined to speak about any other aspects of the controversy.

[John Hammarley]called the controversy over Planned Parenthood funding "a burr in the saddle of Komen, but it withstood the issue for years and years." Hammarley said the issue became newly urgent after Handel was brought on last year. "The internal debate on a senior level rose in the past eight months or so, coinciding with her hiring."

Another source directly involved with Komen's management activities told me that when the organization's leaders learned of the Stearns investigation, they saw an opportunity. "The cart came before the horse in this case," said the source, who spoke to me on condition of anonymity. "The rule was created to give the board of directors the excuse to stop the funding of Planned Parenthood. It was completely arbitrary. If they hadn't come up with this particular rule, they would have come up with something else in order to separate themselves from Planned Parenthood."

o

It certainly looks like all the scrutiny of the Komen Foundation isn't going to help in their future fund raising activities.

o

LOS ANGELES (CBS) - The executive director of the Susan G. Komen For The Cure's Los Angeles County chapter has confirmed to CBS2 that she is resigning from her post.

Deb Anthony, who will become executive director of the Toberman Neighborhood Center, says recent changes have prompted her to leave.

o

Oh lookie the damage controlls popping up to spin this now where's the surprise.

Planned Parenthood is gaining heaps of money in donations, it took 2 days to make up for the Komen money. People took matters in their own hands.

While Komen is losing heaps of money in donations. Good thing.

o
Opposition in the U.S. Senate

Breaking: Two dozen Senators call on Komen to reverse Planned Parenthood decision

That's a significant number of Senators for a letter of this nature, and it makes it more likely that this fight will escalate in a huge way, if Republican Senators begin speaking out in defense of the decision, as David Vitter has. More signatories are likely. [...]

The letter is signed by Senators Lautenberg, Murray, Mikulski, Boxer, Cantwell, Gillibrand, Menendez, Wyden, Blumenthal, Shaheen, Begich, Merkley, Tester, Akaka, Sanders, (Sherrod) Brown, Leahy, Baucus, Cardin, Feinstein, Franken, and Kerry.

That relatively conservative senators like Begich and Tester signed the letter is testament to how broad the opposition to this decision has really become.

o

When Koman starts playing politics with the health and welfare of poor women, Koman deserves to lose heaps of money in donations, don't you agree?

Kate

o

I wish people would give to the American Cancer Society just as generously. My beautiful 29 year old niece with a new baby died of cancer of unknown primary. I wanted her to live just as much as any of you who knew someone who died of breast cancer. My hope is that the Komen foundation will do just that. I could care less about your pro-life, pro-abortion stance. I would like to see cancer eradicated in my lifetime. ALL cancer.

o
RE: ...Komen for the Cure Ditches Planned Parenthood

When Koman starts playing politics with the health and welfare of poor women, Koman deserves to lose heaps of money in donations, don't you agree?

Totally.

Ditch them.

o

I would like to see cancer eradicated in my lifetime. ALL cancer.

Hopefully people will switch their donations to other cancer charities. I'm very sorry about your niece.

o

It loks like some people here missed Democracy Now! today. One of the guests discussing the Komen decision was Jodi Jacobson who had this to say:

"And the thing that is key about both of these people is that they're both involved, in the past and in the present, in lying about breast cancer. Both of them have been engaged in lying both about Planned Parenthood's services as well as about causes of breast cancer, and completely disputed and unscientific claims about links between breast cancer and abortion. So I'm curious why Susan G. Komen, which ostensibly is the leading organization funding research on breast cancer, has not only on its staff, but also on its board, people who actually lie about breast cancer.

JUAN GONZALEZ: And Jodi Jacobson, this congressional investigation, it's delving into similar type of video exposes, supposedly, about what Planned Parenthood is doing. Could you talk about that?

JODI JACOBSON: You know, let's put this in perspective. Planned Parenthood is under attack everywhere by the far right in this country. There isn't a state legislature that's not run by the Tea Party or the far right, the GOP, that isn't attacking Planned Parenthood. Cliff Stearns has power, and he's abusing it. He's wasting taxpayer money to ask Planned Parenthood for 12 years of documents that are already available through the inspector general and have already been audited. So, there is no actual�this is kind of like, you know, voter fraud where there is no voter fraud. There is no evidence whatsoever of misuse of funds by Planned Parenthood. But Cliff Stearns, who is also a known anti-choice congressperson, is on a witch hunt. So, to call this a, quote-unquote, "investigation" gives it something of a semblance of legitimacy that it really doesn't have, because if you look at all the government reports which have already been done on Planned Parenthood, they're completely cleared of any of the charges that Cliff Stearns claims he's looking for. So this is a witch hunt."

The full transcript is available at DN!.

Why an organization that is so anti-science receives any donations at all is surprising.

o

I wish people would give to the American Cancer Society just as generously.

I totally agree. It's almost as if some diseases are "celebrities", and other less known/publicized cancers and diseases are ignored. I think that money spent on basic research into ALL cancers is better spent than cancer specific money. I've never bought anything because it has a pink ribbon on it and never will.

o

Why an organization that is so anti-science receives any donations at all is surprising.

Another racket.

Remember the perfume? We had a thread on it.

Now check this out:

This year, the Susan G. Komen Foundation -- the nonprofit organization that created the corporate phenomenon of pinkwashing -- is hawking its own highly questionable pinkwashed product: a perfume called "Promise Me" that retails for $59.00 a bottle and reportedly contains chemicals, some of which are not listed on the label, that are a suspected hormone disruptor, a known neurotoxin and an anticoagulant banned for use in human food, respectively.

Breast Cancer Action, a grassroots organization that exposes the role of corporations in cancer "awareness" campaigns, points out that some of the chemicals in Komen's "Promise Me" perfume are categorized either as toxic and hazardous, have not been evaluated adequately for human safety, or are known to have negative health effects. One of them is galaxolide, a synthetic musk that bioaccumulates in fat tissue and is suspected to be a hormone disruptor. Galaxolide can be detected in blood, breast milk and newborns. Another is toluene, a petroleum-based solvent and neurotoxin with known negative health effects (pdf), according to theU.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Toluene is banned by the International Fragrance Association. A third chemical of concern is coumarin, an anticoagulant initially marketed as a pesticide against rodents, and and additive the U.S. Food and Drug Administration banned as a human food additive decades ago.

Anyone hear about a recall? I didn't.

Here is a link that might be useful: Source.

o

I thought about that thread Maggie. Thanks for renewing it and adding the extra info.

Even though it 's been known since the 70's that mammograms starting at age 40 are not recommended, Komen continues to advocate them on their website.

THE United States Preventive Services Task Force�s recommendation this week that women begin regular breast cancer screening at age 50 rather than 40 is really nothing new. It�s almost identical to the position the group held in the 1990s.

Nor is the controversy that has flared since the announcement something new. It�s the same debate that�s gone on in medicine since 1971, when the very first large-scale, randomized trial of screening mammography found that it saved the lives only of women aged 50 or older. Despite the evidence, doctors continued to screen women in their 40s.

Again in 1977, after an official of the National Cancer Institute voiced concern that women in their 40s were getting too much radiation from unnecessary screening, the National Institutes of Health held a consensus conference on mammography, which concluded that most women should wait until they�re 50 to have regular screenings.

Why do we keep coming around to the same advice � but never comfortably follow it? The answer is far older than mammography itself. It dates to the late 19th century, when society was becoming increasingly disappointed, pessimistic and fearful over the lack of medical progress against cancer.

clip

Critics of this week�s recommendations have poked holes in the Preventive Services Task Force�s data analysis, have warned against basing present practice guidelines on the older imaging technology used in the studies, and have called for still more studies to be done. They generally sidestep the question of whether the very small numbers of lives potentially saved by screening younger women outweigh the health, psychological and financial costs of overdiagnosis.

You need to screen 1,900 women in their 40s for 10 years in order to prevent one death from breast cancer, and in the process you will have generated more than 1,000 false-positive screens and all the overtreatment they entail. This doesn�t make sense. We could do more research and hold more consensus conferences. I suspect it would confirm the data we already have. But history suggests it would never be enough to convince many people that we are screening too much.

Is Komen using the "more research needs to be done" line while marketing toxic perfume and denying environmental links to cancer?

Here is a link that might be useful: nytimes

o

"I wish people would give to the American Cancer Society just as generously. My beautiful 29 year old niece with a new baby died of cancer of unknown primary. I wanted her to live just as much as any of you who knew someone who died of breast cancer. My hope is that the Komen foundation will do just that. I could care less about your pro-life, pro-abortion stance. I would like to see cancer eradicated in my lifetime. ALL cancer."

I'm sorry, MrsK, that you lost a niece to cancer, and to anyone else on this forum that has also lost loved ones, friends, etc to cancer.

None of you are the only ones. My mother passed away from cancer. I've lost other family members, friends, neighbors as well to cancer.

We all want the same thing MrsK, a cure for all cancers and that is what makes the Komen decision such a bad decision.

It is not about, as you call it "I could care less about your pro-life, pro-abortion stance", caring for it or not.

This was a political decision and nothing more and is as obvious as it can get without Komen outright saying it.

When any kind of charity allows politics to get in the way of what it is doing to collect money for it's charity, then the charity becomes nothing more than a front for the politics that it supports and is being controlled by.
It should no longer have the charitable contributions made to it, be considered a charity or have charitable status awarded to it.

In simple terms, Komen has gotten "to big for it's britches" and let it's, perceived by themselves, power, control what where once lofty goals.

The day they started allowing businesses to use their name and logo that contribute to the unhealthy lifestyle of people, just to gain some money for their charity, is the day they went over the line and started to destroy their own name.

When articles where written that showed how Komen spent over 1 Million dollars in legal fees to fight anyone and everyone that attempted to use the wordings "for the cure" in any charity that they ran, is the day that many people started to think twice about them and donating to them.

Then last year they went into business selling perfume with their name on it and it was found that some of the ingredients where potential carcinogens, well that should have clinched the public that the time had come to stop supporting the Komen charity. they had gone way over the line in what they where and weren't doing.

It's just as easy to donate directly to various charities instead of using the "middle man" approach or donating money through solicitors that call you on the phone to donate and then find out that very little of that money goes to the charity that you where donating to. Most of it goes to the fundraising company that was hired by the charity.

Pick out the charities that you want to donate to and then donate directly to them, it's easy to do, takes very little time and that way, all of the money you donate goes directly to that specific charity.

My family and friends donate directly to:

Dana Farber
The Jimmy Fund
The Leukemia Society
The Epilepsy Foundation

o

Thu, Feb 2, 12 at 17:46

You know, it was bad enough when I thought they had merely caved to right wing political pressure --
But it's looking more and more like the real pressure to defund Planned Parenthood came from within the Komen organization.

The backlash is fierce!
And I say it's about time we stood up for Planned Parenthood and made ourselves vocal and visible about the intrusions on our health care rights.

o

Not only did I lose both of my parents to cancer, my Mom also underwent a double mastectomy years before being diagnosed with the acute cancer that finally took her life... leukemia. My Dad suffered on and off for ten long years with leukemia, himself, and finally gave up the fight... just two years before my Mom passed.

To see this kind of thing, this issue the OP is about, the Komen Foundation, drag itself through the mud of politics is more disgusting than anything I can think of at the moment.

I will never understand the concept of profiting from the suffering of fellow human beings... or the concept of excluding human beings from receiving the preventative health care they need.

o

Defunding any organization that aids in the screening and detection of breast cancer, early detection of breast cancer, in and of itself for whatever reason Koman decided;

Well IMHO, it makes them hypocrites.

On the "about us" page on their website is the following paragraph

" Susan G. Komen for the Cure�, the global leader of the breast cancer movement, having invested more than $1.9 billion since inception in 1982. As the world�s largest grassroots network of breast cancer survivors and activists, we�re working together to save lives, empower people, ensure quality care for all and energize science to find the cures. Thanks to events like the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure� and the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure�, and generous contributions from our partners, sponsors and fellow supporters, we have become the largest source of nonprofit funds dedicated to the fight against breast cancer in the world"

They make that claim, then defund Planned Parenthood because of political pressure, even though they deny it.

Hypocrites and they will suffer severely for this "new policy" that they have now.

I would think that there will be no way for them to regain the position that they once had and stood for.

And as my PCP, who is also an oncologist and treats breast cancer, "their actions taken against PP is outrageous and disgusting. They will never be what they once where and don't deserve to be and I am telling all my patients to stop funding them. He and all the staff in his office now wear black ribbons that look just like Maddie's post above.
As a matter of fact, they where sitting in a basket at the reception desk when you walk into the office for anyone to take for free. Beside the basket was a written explanation of what they where and why they where there and everyone coming into the office was taking one and putting it on.

One of the secretaries actually said to me, "if they spend 1 million in litigation for no good reason, it makes you wonder and question how much of the rest of the donated money was wasted on stupid things that did nothing to help the cause that they claim to support."

o

Mayor Mike Bloomberg just donated $250,000 to Planned Parenthood. It's a matching fund: he'll give $1 for every $1 they raise, up to $250,000.

o

I don't know. I've always wondered about the amount of money that Komen spent just for advertising. Everytime I would see all of that pink stuff, I had to wonder what kind of cancer research that could have funded. Just my opinion.

o

I was surprised to come across this article a few minutes ago. Apparently, donations to Komen are up markedly in the past two days.

FTA: "In the wake of this weeks announcement that Susan G. Komen for the Cure will no longer be awarding grants to Planned Parenthood, the breast cancer organizations donations have gone up 100 percent in the last two days.

On a Thursday conference call Nancy Brinker, the founder and CEO of the Komen Foundation, told reporters that the organization is "singularly focused" on combating breast cancer, and that the politics of the decision to stop funding Planned Parenthood has been distracting from their mission.

Nevertheless, since cutting ties, Brinker announced that Komens donations have gone up in the last two daya by 100 percent."

Perhaps separating PP and Komen will be helpful to each organization.

Here is a link that might be useful: source

o

Look more closely at what the antis-- are saying:

According to Americans United for Life President Charmaine Yoest (and former Huckabee aide, and associate of the Family Research Council) who also led the push to get PP investigated by Congress to see if PP was misusing congressional funds by using them for abortions--even though there was no evidence such a thing was going on, the news about Komen defunding PP "was some of the best news of my entire life."

Yoest also said: I was always troubled with this whole idea that the nation's largest abortion provider was enmeshed in the breast cancer fight when they weren't actually doing mammograms.

What does that last statement even mean? What does being an abortion provider have to do with fighting or not fighting breast cancer? And wouldn't providing mammograms or referring clients to a mammogram provider have something to do with fighting cancer? That statement just makes no sense.

Obviously, as far as Yoest is concerned, anything PP does is invalid because PP also supports abortion services. This sort of biased thinking is nutso!

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Komen defunding PP

o

Why would anyone believe Brinker who is a liar. And you also need to consider the source of the article. I doubt if Komen's donations are up 100%.

Make no mistake this is a disaster for Komen. Although people are generous, they just need the slightest reason to stop donating. There are so many not-for-profits competing for limited dollars and it's a real problem when you tick off even one donor....imagine how many people are ticked off by this decision.

o

Interesting how Komen Foundation says "up 100%" but gives no figures. What, up 100% over a typical Thursday?

Small compensation for trashing a brand three decades in the making. In only 48 hours.

In one swift move, the Susan G. Komen For The Cure foundation has undermined its pro-woman, pro-health, pro-solidarity image.

By pulling funding from Planned Parenthood for breast cancer screenings -- not to mention after Republican activist and abortion rights opponent Karen Handel came on board as vice president of public policy -- and couching the decision as new protocol, Komen's turned into an org women won't want to be associated with. Not all women, of course. But there will be a lot us who'll not longer be able to look at the pink ribbon as simply "breast cancer awareness." They'll think: What self-respecting, abortion rights supporter who cares about women's rights and women's health would be caught wearing a pink ribbon now, much less buying any of the many products that display the pink insignia? With one decision, Komen turned the pink ribbon into an ugly and polarizing symbol.

On the plus side, that pink ribbon will make it real easy to choose whether you want to support or avoid SGK products.

Here is a link that might be useful: Komen controversy: The pink ribbon's ugly new image

o
WHat's wrong here?

Look more closely at what the antis-- are saying:

According to Americans United for Life President Charmaine Yoest (and former Huckabee aide, and associate of the Family Research Council) who also led the push to get PP investigated by Congress to see if PP was misusing congressional funds by using them for abortions--even though there was no evidence such a thing was going on, the news about Komen defunding PP "was some of the best news of my entire life."

Yoest also said: I was always troubled with this whole idea that the nation's largest abortion provider was enmeshed in the breast cancer fight when they weren't actually doing mammograms.

What does that last statement even mean? What does being an abortion provider have to do with fighting or not fighting breast cancer? And wouldn't providing mammograms or referring clients to a mammogram provider have something to do with fighting cancer? That statement just makes no sense.

Obviously, as far as Yoest is concerned, anything PP does is invalid because PP also supports abortion services. This sort of biased thinking is nutso!

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Komen defunding PP

o
Komen's loses

Oops--my apologies. Don't know how that post managed to get posted twice.

But while I'm here, I must wonder if Nik is engaging in propaganda. Check out this article today in the Huffington Post: "Susan G. Komen Loses Support After Planned Parenthood Decision." Very persuasive article on the loses Komen is undergoing.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Susan G. Komen Loses Support After Planned Parenthood Decision

o
//E: Komen for the Cure Ditches Planned Parenthood

Komen's $7.5 Million Grant to Penn State Appears to Violate New Policy

Susan G. Komen for the Cure, which recently announced that it is ending grants to Planned Parenthood for breast cancer screening because of a controversial investigation launched by an anti-abortion Republican congressman, currently funds cancer research at the Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center to the tune of $7.5 million. Like Planned Parenthood, Penn State is currently the subject of a federal government investigation, and like the Planned Parenthood grant, the Penn State grant appears to violate a new internal rule at Komen that bans grants to organizations that are under investigation by federal, state, or local governments. But so far, only the Planned Parenthood grants appear to have been cancelled.

Molesting little boys? No problem!

o

Komen has found that only 66% of the grants to PP are used for the purpose of screening, the rest eaten up in administrative costs.

Mrskjun, that isn't true. First of all which PP are you referring to? Komen funded regional PP's as well as national. They all have different operating budgets. Second, which admin costs? To run the program? Overhead for the clinics? Fundraising activities? Have you seen how much of ACS's funds are "eaten up" with admin costs? They have one of the highest paid CEO's in the non-profit world.
From FY09:
Former CEO Donald Thomas made $1.4+, John Seffrin the current CEO is $900k+ and a former VP was making $1.5+ million.

Everyone is ignoring a simple fact. Komen knew exactly how the funds were going to be spent BEFORE they wrote their check. PP had to submit a detailed grant proposal BEFORE they got funding. These grant proposals can be hundreds of pages and detail everything. Komen would have had to approve BEFOREHAND how much of the money could be used for "administrative costs" so their excuse is ridiculous since they knew to the dollar where their money was beinf spent and they could have stipulated what their money could be used for and what it couldn't.

I wish people would give to the American Cancer Society just as generously. My beautiful 29 year old niece with a new baby died of cancer of unknown primary. I wanted her to live just as much as any of you who knew someone who died of breast cancer. My hope is that the Komen foundation will do just that.

Mrskjun, I am very sorry about your niece. Many of us have lost loved ones from many different illnesses. THey all deserve funding but Komen is not going to support any program that doesn't focus on breast cancer unless they change their mission/mandate. It was founded with the sole purpose of increasing awareness of and finding a cure for Breast cancer. The organization was founded by Susan Komen's sister after she died of bc and the late Evelyn Lauder, who was a bc survivor (she subsequently died from Ovarian cancer). It began because there was very little money available for bc research. Komen's focus is breast cancer, period.

It won't matter anyway, if they can't fix this pr nightmare they won't have much $ to give away.
I know of several foundations that now have decided to not renew their support for Komen this year. I am sure more will be on board as well and donations from the public will be down as will participation in their media cash cow, their walks. Komen is hurting. It is a shame because they, at one time, were a force to be reckoned with and did much to bring awareness of bc to the forefront, advocate for women and spearheaded funding new research on bc when no one was. Unfortunately it started to change years ago when the leadership changed.

o

"Pink Ribbons, Inc." is opening in Canada today. I'd love to hear reviews from our Canadian friends on HT.

Here is a link that might be useful: pinkribbonsinc

o

Ah, dissension in the ranks!

All seven California Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure Foundation affiliates have come out in opposition to the group�s new, national policies that bar them from funding Planned Parenthood.

Linked is a statement they just sent to California�s congressional delegation.

Here is a link that might be useful: statement from CA affiliates

o

Cancer is such a mega-billions business, I don't see a cure being announced in a long, long time.

I often wonder how many breakthroughs were swept under the rug.

Wearing my black ribbon today. My daughter glued a ribbon to the sole of her shoes, since Komen is now walking on people, not for people.

Social workers are coming out in droves to protest Komen's actions on FB, twitter, YouTube, etc.

o

My daughter glued a ribbon to the sole of her shoes, since Komen is now walking on people, not for people.

That's hilarious!

o

Brush: I just want to give you (and your daughter) a big fat hug! :-)

Here's the question, what happens if Komen reverses its decision? Will the donors come flocking back? Will Komen lose the anti-abortion people who are currently declaring victory? I personally think they won't recover from this. Women from all walks of life did the run because it was a symbol of solidarity with other women to conquer a disease that mostly affects women. Now that politics has been dragged into the picture, I don't think they will be able to get that loyalty back. In one day, I think they have ruined their "brand".

o

I think they have ruined their "brand"

I agree. They have been slowly erroding for some time now. This just sealed it. Three execs resigned and members of the BOD at Komen are stating they will also if Komen doesn't reverse their decision. In the meantime, PP has seen more than $1 million in increased donations thanks to the Komen debacle.

o

Fair warning - this is "comedy" or "satire" or whatever you want to call it. But just as there is a little bit of truth in every "just kidding", the same is true here:

DALLAS, TEXAS -- In conjunction with their controversial recent decision to pull funding from Planned Parenthood clinics, the Susan G. Komen For The Cure Breast Cancer Foundation today announced a new screening policy for providers, meant to detect and help save only "the most worthwhile" lives, which included a new emphasis on stamping out breast cancer in the unborn.

"The Susan G. Komen foundation has always worked towards a day when no woman has to lose her life to breast cancer," said spokesperson Jean Gladson. "Thanks to these new screening policies, which will help providers determine early, and decisively, which lives are worth our saving, we're going to be able to take a huge step in the right direction."

"By eliminating further treatment for those individuals whose survival importance we deem 'stage 0,' our overall survival percentage rates are going to be WAY better," Gladson concluded.

The new screening methods allow care providers to determine which individuals seeking care are deserving of actual treatment based on a series of simple preliminary questions about the patient. Some of these include: "Is the patient Latina, Non-Gentrified Black, or another non-specific Poor?"; "Has the patient ever shopped at a Wal-mart? If the patient refuses to answer, use the 'smell test' guidelines included at the back of this pamphlet"; "Does the patient's insurance information, or lack thereof, lead you to believe that society as a whole might be better off if this patient died from untreated, but not-provably-breast-cancer-related, illnesses?"

According to the Komen Foundation, the new guidelines have been especially effective in improving breast cancer outcomes in fetuses, or "pre-infants," one of the few groups the screening methods deem still eligible for treatment.

"Our increased attention to the breast cancer needs of the unborn is paying off in a big way," Gladson told reporters. "Since we've instituted this new pre-screening treatment plan, our pre-infant breast cancer rates have dropped down near 0 percent."

"Those are the numbers we're looking for," Gladson continued, "and some day, thanks to the strides that Komen For The Cure has taken today towards providing breast cancer care for only the most desirable candidates, we'll get there."

o

Discount Gun Sales has teamed up with the Susan G. Komen Foundation to offer a pink version of its popular Walther P-22 handgun in recognition of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. The Komen Foundation, which sponsors pink-ribbon walks and other events to raise money for breast cancer research, is embroiled in controversy following its decision to defund Planned Parenthood.
An undisclosed portion from the sale of each Walther P-22 "Hope Edition" will be donated to the Seattle Branch of the Susan G. Komen Foundation. The gun retails for $429.99.
The Hope Edition has "an exclusive DuraCoat Pink slide in recognition of Breast Cancer Awareness month," according to the promotion. "Utilizing the same reliable controls and firing mechanism that has made the Walther P-22 America's top selling handgun, the Hope Edition will be a limited production pistol offered exclusively through Discount Gun Sales."picture at the link. Seriously

Here is a link that might be useful: no, not a joke

o

Yes, I think the brand is damaged. Reminds me of a recent partnership announced between the National Wildlife Federation and Scotts Miracle-Gro. Environmentalists were up in arms. NWF backed out after a few days of protest, citing new information on a judgement against Scotts for selling pesticide tainted birdseed. Excuse or not, they were lucky to have a way out of that decision.

Philanthropy experts said it will be difficult for Komen to convince people it wasn't playing politics.

"There's a long-term weakening of the Susan G. Komen brand from this decision," said Melissa Berman, chief executive of nonprofit Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisers, which counsels wealthy donors who give more $200 million a year.

"We would see donors reluctant to be involved with a charity whose decision-making gets influenced by short-term pressures and politics because you would always wonder who is really in charge."

The American Association of University Women, in protest over Komen's decision, said it was scrapping plans to offer a Komen Race for the Cure as one of the activities at its upcoming National Conference for College Women Student Leaders.

And Komen is just now saying that there will likely to be other charities affected - after hundreds of people pointed it out to them:

[Brinker] also said there were other organizations receiving Komen grants that might be adversely affected by the new criteria about investigations, but she did not identify them.

o

"But while I'm here, I must wonder if Nik is engaging in propaganda."

What else could it be?

o

our pre-infant breast cancer rates have dropped down near 0 percent."

Satire, indeed. Mixed with gallows-humor?

It most certainly makes a point (that Komen now wishes would go away?).

Kate

o

I just saw yesterday's editorial cartoon in my paper.

o

It appears that Komen has had second thoughts, and they ARE going to fund PP. Way to go ,women. The pressure really worked and quickly. I still won't regard Komen in a good light knowing how easily they kowtowed.

o

Looks like Komen caved. Here's their statement reversing their decision on PP.

We want to apologize to the American public for recent decisions that cast doubt upon our commitment to our mission of saving women's lives.

The events of this week have been deeply unsettling for our supporters, partners and friends and all of us at Susan G. Komen. We have been distressed at the presumption that the changes made to our funding criteria were done for political reasons or to specifically penalize Planned Parenthood. They were not.

Our original desire was to fulfill our fiduciary duty to our donors by not funding grant applications made by organizations under investigation. We will amend the criteria to make clear that disqualifying investigations must be criminal and conclusive in nature and not political. That is what is right and fair.

Our only goal for our granting process is to support women and families in the fight against breast cancer. Amending our criteria will ensure that politics has no place in our grant process. We will continue to fund existing grants, including those of Planned Parenthood, and preserve their eligibility to apply for future grants, while maintaining the ability of our affiliates to make funding decisions that meet the needs of their communities.

It is our hope and we believe it is time for everyone involved to pause, slow down and reflect on how grants can most effectively and directly be administered without controversies that hurt the cause of women. We urge everyone who has participated in this conversation across the country over the last few days to help us move past this issue. We do not want our mission marred or affected by politics anyone's politics.

Starting this afternoon, we will have calls with our network and key supporters to refocus our attention on our mission and get back to doing our work. We ask for the public's understanding and patience as we gather our Komen affiliates from around the country to determine how to move forward in the best interests of the women and people we serve.

We extend our deepest thanks for the outpouring of support we have received from so many in the past few days and we sincerely hope that these changes will be welcomed by those who have expressed their concern.

Here is a link that might be useful: Komen caves

o

Fri, Feb 3, 12 at 11:44

Too late, we already got a glimpse behind the pink mask.

o
!RE: Komen for the Cure Ditches Planned Parenthood

It is so informative to read the comments on their facebook page. Now pro-life people are demanding to get their recent donations back .... See-saw, see-saw!

I guess they finally decided there were MORE people against than were "favorable".

I hope Karen Handel quits or is fired.

o

She did step in it, didn't she.

o

What were they thinking? They didn't think so many would come out to defend poor women in need of cancer screening!

o

I am hoping for some good to come out of all of this-women in general need to be more aware of what mammograms are all about, when to get one based on your own medical history-not some general age guide line, and what to do with the results when you get them. It is unfortunate that cancer has become an industry-what do all those cancer center ads on TV cost and why are they advertizing for your cancer treatment dollars? Information is power and women should have access to good information and that is why PP is so important to the health of poor women-we ought to not need PP clinics but we do-it is a failure of our society that poor women need charitable contributions to get basic health care. In my state PP does do mammograms. The clinics that do them are in medically under-served areas-places with large Native American populations to be exact.
I hope that this latest very public attack on PP will wake up people as to the future the right wing fundamentalists have planned for us. I read recently an editorial by Ellen Goodman who said she had always thought it was just hysteria that people said the fringe were after birth control but she was now convinced they actually are-that was before this story got out. Pay attention to what your candidate actually believes in.

o

And I will add to that..Women don't vote Republican or this and worse will be in the works.

o

I don't feel this is not about republicans and democrats. This is about a group of very loud people with an agenda that would bring up back to the dark ages, a modicum of money and power and a fair amount of access to people in high places.

o

Fri, Feb 3, 12 at 16:09

With all due respect Jerzee, those 'dark ages' people seem to have their grips firmly on the testi@les of the Republican party policy-making arm. So voting Republican *does* increase their hold and weakens safeguards for all women, rich and poor alike.

I think Komen really, really blew it. With me and almost all of my female friends, with one fundamentalist exception.

I won't support that particular organization again. Ever.

As someone so aptly put it -- They destroyed their own brand in one day.

o

gripped & snipped

o

So the bravado about increased donations and the contradicting explanations as to the reason why funding was cut to Planned Parenthood were just so much PR and damage control.

Is Karen Handel still with Komen?

o

Can't imagine how they are going to manage their move into Canada if they intend to be political on the abortion issue.

Abortion is fully funded and freely available so, while PP may provide advice and counsel , they have no need to provide the services. PP is certainly not under any type of investigation here .

One thing I can tell you is that Canadians, generally, would not be sportive of this clearly anti women move.

o

Updated figures published by Planned Parenthood says they raised $3 million the last few days:

Over the last three days, Planned Parenthood Federation of America's Breast Health Fund has received more than $3 million from thousands of people across the country. Every dollar we received for this fund will go directly to breast exams and diagnostic services, as well as breast health outreach and education so that more women can receive this critical care.

o

Right on!

Cut out the middleman and fund them directly.

o

Maddie, that's what my family and friends have been doing for years.

Money given directly to the charity, no middle man, no hired company to solicit you for donations and then keep more money than the charity gets.

So easy to do to.

o

Well, well, well. What do you know? Ari Fleisher, GWB's press secretary, was the one who hired Komen's Krazy Karen (Handel) for the foundation. And, that, in interviews for the position, he discussed Planned Parenthood's connection to the foundation.

Not political? Yeah, right.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chickens coming home to roost...

o

Ari Fleisher!?!?

The groups political ties go way back. In 2002 Brinkler/Komen lobbied against The Patient Bill of Rights with republican allies:

Despite proclaiming herself before a 2001 Congressional panel as a "patient advocate for the past 20 years," demanding access to the best possible medical care for all breast cancer patients, Federal Election Commission records show the Komen Foundation and its allies lobbied against the consumer-friendly version of the Patients Bill of Rights in 1999, 2000 and 2001. Brinker then trumpeted old friend George W. Bush in August 2001 for backing a "strong" Patients' Bill of Rights, while most patient advocates felt betrayed.

snip

Also on board for Komen's Patient Bill of Rights efforts is Akin-Gump, the fourth largest lobbying firm in the country, whose roster reads like a who's who of anti-health care reformers. Akin-Gump has direct links to the Health Benefits Coalition, industry's leading PAC in the fight to stop a Patients Bill of Rights that would boost patients' rights over their health plans.

snip

Not surprisingly, the Komen Foundation has owned $162,843 in Brinker International stock during 2000, the only year for which records are available. The Foundation also owns stock in several pharmaceutical companies and in General Electric, one of the largest makers of mammogram machines in the world.

At 1998 Food and Drug Administration hearings the Komen Foundation was the only national breast cancer group to endorse the cancer treatment drug tamoxifen as a prevention device for healthy but high-risk women, despite vehement opposition by most other breast cancer groups. Its maker, AstraZeneca, has long been a Komen booster, making educational grants to Komen and having a visible presence at the Race For the Cure. And in 2000, the parent company Zeneca Inc., employed Multinational Business Services, the lobbyist for the anti-PBR group Health Benefits Coalition.

The article goes on,and on. Too much to copy & paste.

Here is a link that might be useful: alternet - the marketing of breast cancer

o

JZ..I disagree. What Democrat could you think would be behind cutting funding to PP because they provide abortion services?. I cannot think of a one. Komen hurt themselves irrevocably. I fear their image is tarnished for good.

o

lily:

There may be only a few out there but after reading what the Republicans for Choice web site had to say, I realize that there are people who are pro-choice republicans who are sick to their stomachs about what's currently going on. I strongly doubt that every single republican voter hates Planned Parenthood. In fact, I am willing to bet that there are republicans who USE PP and even their abortion services. Unfortunately, those are not the ones whose voices are being heard right now.

Secondly, if women who vote republican want to unite in sisterhood with women of other political persuasions, who are we to discourage them by tarring them all with one brush?

In case you haven't noticed, the democratic party isn't what it used to be--some might say it's what the republican party used to be--so I don't think we should be handing out any medals just now. The democrats also need to get back to what they really stand for too.

Getting back to Komen their reversal means absolutely nothing because the damage has been done. I don't believe what they say anyway. They are not going to change their agenda just because they bowed to pressure this time. Until they get rid of all the players at the top of the organization and replace them with people who know well enough to keep politics out of fundraising, then they are hopelessly lost and don't deserve an ounce of sympathy or money.

o

Yes, there are pro-choice Republicans, and they are to be congratulated and supported, especially since they have to buck their own party on the abortion rights issue.

However, Lily has a good point. At this point in time, women who support abortion rights should not vote Republican because--as recent victories in several states have shown--when Republicans take power, the right-wingers also take power, and one of the first things they do is enact anti-women's rights legislation. Remember all the recent governors and legislatures that ran on jobs, jobs, jobs, took over their states, and then passed bills making abortions almost impossible to get, declaring fertilized eggs to be persons with civil rights, outlawing certain types of birth control, and targeting groups like Planned Parenthood to get them defunded in any way possible so that they will have to go out of business--all because 3% of their services are devoted to abortion services (all from separate funds). Not a jobs bill in sight, just lots of draconian anti-women's rights bills (and bills to destroy unions).

The "pro-life" groups have a broad and ambitious agenda and a lot of stealth candidates who don't advertise their anti-women's rights dedication until after they get elected--when its too late for the voters to do much about it, although the way things are going recently, a lot of awakening and incensed citizens are beginning to appreciate the power of RECALL ELECTIONS.

At any rate, the evidence is there. Even if the Republican elected is a "good" one who supports women's rights, that Republican brings along the anti-women's rights right-wingers who know how to undermine much of what your "good" candidate supposedly stands for.

(By the way, Democrats aren't always so great--just better on this score than the Republican right-wingers!)

Kate

o

At this point in time, women who support abortion rights should not vote Republican because--as recent victories in several states have shown--when Republicans take power, the right-wingers also take power, and one of the first things they do is enact anti-women's rights legislation.

I don't deny that. It's a problem that appears not to have a solution (and I don't count on the democrats to be the solution either - I don't trust any of them).

I know of one registered republican who will vote for Obama over Romney so I'm not giving up hope.

o
Future ex-Republican?

I know of one registered republican who will vote for Obama over Romney so I'm not giving up hope.

Or maybe that is a future independent or Democrat--as a result of voting for Obama over Romney?

Just a possibility. : )

Kate

o

I totally agree with everything you said JZ, and you too Kate. ALL Republicans aren't pro life: I was painting with a broad brush. I also think the Democratic party is not the party I used to know and is more like the Republican party my father liked. I know I'm petrified that the Tea partiers are going to have influence on women's reproductive rights. I think the whole GOP party is going in a new strange direction because the old time repubs are scared sh-tless by the TPs.

On a different concern, PA is run now by the Repubs after eight years with a Dem governor, and since I know people on the inside , I have first hand knowledge that the environmental policies are being thrown out. They're killing every bill to improve the environment. Hell, our rightwing Gov. doesn't even tax the fracking operations which are totally destroying the water table and creating destruction everywhere. The impact will be forever. Makes me think I should have worked harder to keep these Repubs out of office. It's always about the all mighty dollar. But I digress. It's just that the TPs want to change it all and quickly. That's why I'm hoping there are some rational Repubs still left which will either stay home or vote for Obama because the alternative is just too damn scary.

o

It seems that no political party is as it once was... they've all taken a huge turn for the worse. They certainly are not the same entities of my parents' time.

I would have to say that the Komen Foundation has lost their credibility, and no letter of apology will save it. Perhaps a few will fall for it... but it seems a little... synthetic?... to me.

o

Here's a bit more on Komen's "apolitical" decision to discontinue funding to PP:

But the decision to stop funding Planned Parenthood comes shortly after Komen unveiled a new partnership that strengthens its ties to the George W. Bush Institute. The institute is the policy-making arm of Bush�s presidential library, which is scheduled to open in Dallas next year.

Founders say the new effort, called the Pink Ribbon Red Ribbon campaign, is an "innovative partnership" aimed at improving breast and cervical screenings for women in developing nations in sub-Saharan Africa and Latin America.

Other partners include the U.S. President�s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief and the Joint United Nations Program on HIV/AIDS.

The founding corporate sponsor is Merck, which is making a financial contribution of $3 million over three years and in-kind contributions to a cervical cancer vaccination program in Tanzania.

Merck, which manufactures the Gardasil vaccine, is a longtime campaign donor to Texas Gov. Rick Perry, whose ties to the company were briefly an issue during his failed presidential bid. Rival Michele Bachman accused Perry of pushing the Gardasil vaccine on young girls in Texas at Merck�s behest in 2007.

Here is a link that might be useful: wapo

o

Sun, Feb 5, 12 at 9:29

You didn't happen to live in Dallas about 15 years ago, did you Althea? I knew a lovely and very intelligent lady there at that time named Althea, and to my great regret, we lost touch...

o

Sweeby,I've never lived in Texas, and my given name isn't really Althea. What a nice compliment. Thanks.

o

I am not surprised that the dirty laundry is now being aired.

I always wondered why Rick Perry of all people was so into Gardasil. It made no sense to me before that he would be a fan, but now it makes perfect sense. His donor is the manufacturer. Of course.

Komen's attempt to push the toothpaste back into the tube is not going to make it. I can't wait to see "Pink Ribbons". I am guessing that will be the coup de grace.

o

Karen Handel quits!

Karen Handel, the charity's vice president for public policy, told Komen officials that she supported the move to cut off funding for Planned Parenthood. She said the discussion started before she arrived at the organization and was approved at the highest levels of the charity.

"I am deeply disappointed by the gross mischaracterizations of the strategy, its rationale, and my involvement in it," Handel said in her letter. "I openly acknowledge my role in the matter and continue to believe our decision was the best one for Komen's future and the women we serve."

Until Tuesday, Handel had publicly kept silent about her role in the dispute.

Brinker, in an interview with MSNBC last week, said Handel didn't have a significant role in the policy change.

o

Tue, Feb 7, 12 at 11:26

Yesterday there were reports that they had already advertised for her replacement:

Komen Posts Job Listing for Position That Looks Suspiciously Like Karen Handel's

Here is a link that might be useful: Source

o
another question

Tue, Feb 7, 12 at 11:55

Does Handel's refusing a severance package - and any clauses that might contain - mean she could use this 'experience' for a book/speaking tour?

o

I'm guessing she didn't resign but was shown the door - people who resign don't get offered severance packages.

Regardless, these people need to stop lying and come clean about what happened; there are so many difference stories floating around and no one knows the real truth. Dishonesty is a very bad thing when your job is to ask people for money.

o

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 7, 12 at 13:41

people who resign don't get offered severance packages.

Not true. Whether she resigned on her own or was asked to ... a severance package can still be offered.

o

well, sure if the employee and employee agreed upon the "resignation". Usually when a person resigns (unless there's something written in the contract), they get their unused vacation and maybe are allowed to stay a few weeks to finish up their work instead of being told to pack up their office and leave.

o

The fallout accusing Planned Parenthood of orchestrating the furious response is hilarious. I don't know about anyone else, but I heard it from a single news story on the web - I wasn't contacted by Planned Parenthood months or weeks in advance (supporters say that PP knew about it in December and had two months to prepare this elaborate backlash).

when conservatives win grassroots battles of public opinion, it's democracy. When liberals win them, it's totalitarianism.

Yes, we are imposing our views on others by this protest. Nevermind that they were imposing their views by withdrawing funding that was declared by Komen to be a "good thing" for several years.

Poor Jonah Goldberg was also outraged over the Komen results. Writing in USA Today, Goldberg warned that the liberal victory represented an ominous sign of encroaching progressives "imposing their views" on Americans. According to Goldberg, Planned Parenthood defenders should have ignored the far right's relentless campaign to demonize Planned Parenthood and simply accepted Komen's withdrawal quietly. They definitely should not have politicized the foundation's openly political funding cut.

They can dish it out but they can't take it.

And remember, the whining emanates from a right-wing media mob that relishes in name-calling, character assassination, and casting their political enemies as unspeakable monsters. (i.e. Planned Parenthood is "built on the poison of eugenics" and is an "unabashedly corrupt and evil" organization.) And yet when liberals push back in public? Quickly the tough-talking bullies whimper about how malicious their opponents are and how menacing "gangsters" is lurking in dark corners.

o

Now that all this kwap is over can we jet back to better treatments & saving lives of the women & men we love.
Yes men get breast cancer also!

o

Thanks for posting that article esh. It is very illuminating, especially the part about the totalitarian feminism.

Rush Limbaugh pinned the blame on "feminazis," while the Wall Street Journal's James Taranto accused Planned Parenthood's supporters of of engaging in "totalitarian feminism." (Headline: "Big Sister Is Watching You: Totalitarian Feminism And The Smearing of Susan G. Komen.")

What exactly is "totalitarian feminism"? According to Taranto's angry missive, it's when liberal women "politicize everything," including health care for women. Because the conservative movement in America, and specifically the Evangelical faction, has never politicized women's health issues, right?

Let's be honest, "totalitarian feminism" is really just right-wing gibberish designed to mask the incessant, trademark whining that now accompanies political setbacks conservatives suffer, or even efforts by opponents to highlight their dishonest ways.

Shorter right wing: when conservatives win grassroots battles of public opinion, it's democracy. When liberals win them, it's totalitarianism. (And "disgusting.")

o

So last week the Susan G. Komen Foundation decided (then fishily undecided) it would stop funding cancer screenings at Planned Parenthood because, apparently, Planned Parenthood is a very divisive issue in this country. I guess if you're going to be a parent, it is imperative you do not have a plan. You just have to go with it. No big deal. You'll figure it out along the way. Because, face it, you've got no other choice. We've officially reached a point where Planned Parenthood is a public menace, and unplanned parenthood gets you a show on MTV.

An organization that doesn't tell anyone whether to have a baby or not is under attack by the very people who want the government to get out of our lives. Conservatives are all for individual liberty, except when it comes to producing individuals. Which, ironically, they think should be done liberally. Planned Parenthood doesn't tell anyone whether to become a parent or not. Just as the Susan G. Komen Foundation doesn't tell anyone whether to get breast cancer or not.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here