Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
btw, gw

Posted by pnbrown z6.5 MA (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 13, 13 at 21:00

it must be well over 50 degrees out right now. At night, in mid-january. Are we amazed by the amount of warm air moving over NA at this time of year? I am.

Meanwhile, severest cold in years in Russia, snow in Israel, and Australia is burning up. The seasons seem to be somewhat disintegrating, and the result will be greatly accelerated collapse of agriculture. Best expand the garden and think about a root-cellar.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: btw, gw

It was in single digits the beginning of the week, and they're saying it might even touch 60 tomorrow (january thaw) and by next weekend, we're going to have HIGHS on the single digits.

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 13, 13 at 21:10

It's been warm here in Maryland for almost the entire month, so far, very weird and a bit disconcerting. It's been a VERY LONG January thaw. Other than an occasional cold day, it's going to be in the 40's and even 50's for most of the rest of the month.

o

It hit 63 here today, 40s last 2 days. The snow is just about gone. Tomorrow is supposed to start cool down, I hope. We usually get our January thaw about now then pay for it later.

o

Click on the 7 day forecast. I'm inland.

Here is a link that might be useful: Local weather

o

Not surprised. A January thaw like this is the usual here.

o

We are having freezing nights here.....really rare for this area.
Climate change is real.

o

Yeah, my wife, who grew up in Sacramento, is getting a kick out of them and San Francisco getting about 8-10 inches of snow. :-)

o

And yet, everything is still cold and crappy in good ol' North Dakota.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 13, 13 at 22:11

We had quite a bit of snow here in the city by the lake... which has now totally disappeared after several "springlike" days, back in the 30's this week but no snow in the forecast.

New report out on climate change, not looking good. Too late to reverse it, we will all live (or not) with the consequences.

o

27F last night at my house, about 7:30am. Expect lower temp tonight, highs in the lower 50's. By mid week we'll be in the lower 70's in daylight and lower 40's at night.

o

No doubt whatever, by my own observations of average temps for various months of the year over my 30 years in one place: huge change, here at least. Can't say about the rest of the planet. By far the bulk of the change is warmer winter, but more and longer dry spells in summer are also notable. Famously when I first came here about every other or third summer was cold and constantly rainy, to the desperation of summer people, while now the last one was 6 or 7 years ago and about as long before that.

Many, many more birds overwinter here now than formerly. Several species rarely seen now live here in numbers. I presume some others have disappeared though I don't know. Tree die-off is very notable in the last few years and I suspect will accelerate greatly, leading to major changes in dominant species, probably.

People who move around every few years wouldn't notice any of this.

o

I'll concur with pnbrown. I went through literally half the oil last winter that I normally do, and this winter, although I'm on track to use more than last year, it'll still be less than normal. I can't say that I'm complaining about it. Mud season (what most normally call spring) is alot worse, though. being that alot of the poaces I work on are down dirt roads, and the driveways are even worse, and usually on hillsides, it's almost a necessity that my truck be set up for offroad mudding.

o

Sun, Jan 13, 13 at 23:17

PNB I have lived here my entire life (born and raised) and I can tell you one big difference that I have noticed in my close to 70 years ... Lake Erie has only frozen over "once" in the last 15 or 16 years. We used to be able to look out over the lake and not see any open water.

The birds arrive earlier and leave later, the gardening season is extending ... I don't keep track of the temps, but wearing a sweatshirt and/or light jacket in January in NEOhio is not "normal". Neither is turning off the heat and having a window open.

1/2 penny

o

Down in Australia, its massive dust storms and the weather service had to create a new color on their temperature maps because they're now getting temps over 50 C - 122 F.

Here, for the past few days and the coming few, its -15F at night, highs of 20F. And I've had to take a space heater out to the insulated shed to keep the canning from freezing. Usually a light bulb is all I need, but when its this cold for this long, thats not enough heat.

But.... still need a whole lot more snow to break the drought, or we're in big trouble next summer.

o

We are expected to hit 0 tonight for our low. I work out in the garage every single morning, early, and its been quite the chilly experience for about a week now. We vent a duct to the garage so that it never gets to the freezing point, but 35 is not comfortable to work out in. This extreme won't last long. Early morning workouts are what works for me...brush my teeth, wash my face, one cuppa and get the workout behind me before I shower and get started on the day, if I don't get it out of the way right then first thing, it won't happen at all.

We haven't been above freezing for a high now for awhile. Not unusual for this time of year. I will be glad when the last snow fall melts, its a week old and ugly now, dessicated and dirty looking.
Usually a snow fall here lasts only a few days and then melts off quickly, leaving a clean canvas for the next fall, its one of the things I love about where I live. I'm ready for the melt, the sidewalks are icy, too slippery to walk the dogs.

I feel badly they are being deprived their walks, they just love their outings and visits with the neighborhood kids- I time the walk for when the kids are walking home from the school bus stop. Each dog has her established little fan club, they miss seeing their human friends who stop to say hello, offer a little scratch and a cheerful greeting. I kinda miss seeing the kids too, they are very sweet kids.

o

The Southern California citrus growers aren't happy tonight, nor were they last night.

It's been some time since we've had these low (everything's relative) night-time temperatures. That, or I can't remember beans.

o

The last big freeze was around 1990 and a lesser freeze toward 2000. I've recorded data in my work logs for close to 35 years. Just too lazy to go dig through 70 spiral notebooks.

o

Normal here; 7F right now. snowed again today, but could use more snow for the winter sports season. The ski resorts are fine, as they make snow to supplement, but snowmo trails are pretty bumpy...still, it's winter wonderland out there--perfectly clean and white. ;)

o

If people don't believe in climate change, they're in the Sarah Palin IQ club. My two koi ponds have not had even a skim of ice the whole year or last year. We have heaters for both ponds...never got them out. It was 60 today here and ugly as sin. For days there has been a terrible fog and mist...damp ,overcast and warm in January. I just dread summer coming. I hate it. The ski resorts are really hurting . We had very little snow. Just a few inches and none last year.

I grew up in this part of the state and I have pictures of myself as a kid in drifts way over my head. Even when my kids were young, we had deep snows. No more.

o

David , I can confirm the 50 CELCIUS we have had in 3 or 4 areas in Australia over the last few weeks.....it is not pretty. Alice Springs (in the middle ) has been over 42 C for over a week now.

even where I am in on days that we have had over 42C it is like livig in an oven..with the hot hot drying winds.

cant waste any water on the garden as it would be ppointless

o

Our little local ski resort likes to target their opening date for Thanksgiving day, that hasn't happened in years. This year all the ski resorts...local and more universally known, opened much later, a few not until a few days after Christmas. That really hurts a whole lot of people, every delayed opening day is a lot of money out of their pockets. Lots of university students pay for several semesters by these jobs.

Where I see real climate change is in the much greater numbers of very hot days, we have many more hotter days. The fire weather said, about three years ago, that we are now averaging 72 longer hot days than we were 15 years ago. Days that were cool Autumn are now still hot and dry days of summer, extending the fire season ever longer, taking much longer for deep forest fires to burn out.. They burn much hotter now, will eventually change the face of our forests, as we know them.

o

Can verify Marshal on the 1990 and 2000 freeze dates by the defoliated ficus trees. Went to pick up the trailer Sunday morning at 10am and the rain water caught on the tarp cover had 1/8 to 1/4 inch ice, about 40 gallons gad collected in the last two weeks. Will check local ficus to see how they hold up.

o

Spring is in the air! Well, at least in my dreams for the past few days...

o

According to the reading I've been doing, we... meaning humanity... still have a very small window in which to pull together and change our world for the survival of our species and its ability to live on planet Earth. We can still make it happen, but we have to change our global energy consumption and attitudes now! Will it happen? No... probably not. We'll go down in flames because of human weakness and greed.

o

I'm thankful!

I applied another application of corn gluten meal to the lawn; detailed both of the daily drivers; cleaned the outdoor cat boxes and filled with new straw(winter will be back); dismantled the Christmas decorations and stored them; and finished up by taking the 32 Ford Coupe out for a spring drive in January.

o

Nope, humanity won't pull anything together, because humanity is about as smart and cooperative as squirrel-dom. We single humans can sometimes comprehend some of what is going on and even do something tiny, but humanity, nothing.

I'm simply going to presume that the changes will be very significant but within the range of survivability for functioning societies and technologies.

o

^^^Agree with Pnbrown paragraph #1. I consider humans to be animals on 2 legs, with a relatively recently evolved frontal cortex. Our animal nature is only just below the surface, and it dominates most people's lives. More often than not, our ability to think presents itself as "rationalization" (if not perversion) having little or nothing to do with truth, and has wreaked devastation on the planet.

While it is probably likely that most changes are survivable, I don't think it is prudent to assume that is the case. We have put pressure on natural systems by unceasingly dumping greenhouse gases into the environment and warming the planet. Even the best scientists have no certain idea what will result. We are only a catastrophic volcanic eruption away from a mass extinction that includes Homo sapiens.

The biggest thing that worries me is if the Global Conveyer Belt in the oceans ceases, which supposedly would quickly result in a new Ice Age. Even then I guess we could all move to the Tropics.

o

• Posted by batya Israel north 8-9-10 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 14, 13 at 10:10

Actually it's not that unusual to have snow in Israel. In the north, - Mt. Hermon, and the Syrian/Lebanon/Israel border, there's snow every year. Enough to have a few ski places to go, though nowhere near Europe for quality or quantity. Usually once a year at least in Jerusalem, too. Nothing over a few inches, but snow all the same. (Stops the city too, very funny to see a few inches cause a halt to the whole city!) We frost here in Haifa once every 5-6 years, and this year was it, last week actually. Had to go out and cover up the garden. Once or so a winter we'll have hail; again, it happened last week. The wind storm uprooted one of my carob trees, it didn't come all of the way out of it's hole, so it might be saved by just plunking it back in.

Yes, I'm extremely worried about the oceans and the rainforests and how their destruction will change the live-abllity of the planet. Changing my personal habits is one thing, legislating those changes on a national scale will take some hard core leadership and some hardcore science to back it up, with the engineering and practical solutions to give us alternatives to what we have now but with less impact. It has to start with the concept that we as communities and individuals can have perfectly good lives without this or that, with less of this and more of that, with a totally different outlook and completely different preferences on a day to day basis. Anybody have any ideas HOW to get this done? Real practical ideas to change the mindset of a whole country? I'm listening.....

o

Even changing mores does not change reality. The Victorians were prudish in the extreme but sex still happened often enough.....

o

After an unnaturally cold December in Charleston, SC, we are having spring in January --- upper 70's during the last several days. I can see new buds on the branches of the trees outside my window, and narcissi are blooming all around the city.
I'm with terrene, worried about have we reached the tipping point, and wondering when and if the Global Conveyer Belt in the Oceans will change, and we lose our Gulf Stream.

o

I planted my bulbs late this year in December on purpose! All the daffs have already broken ground. Jasminum nudiflorum usually appears late January to mid Feb bloomed Christmas week, the snow drop bloomed January 8th. The Roses never went dormant the alyssum is still blooming it was 49 when I went to be last night it's 55 at 10 Am.
2007 We had a week of warmth that caused many of the flowering apricots to bloom. Maybe next week we will have er mnn winter!

o

Mon, Jan 14, 13 at 11:01

Joe my alyssum is blooming in my window box, the snow we had covered it and when it melted there was the little bloom.

Chilly today ..

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 14, 13 at 11:05

PN, I don't have a root cellar (yet) but I've got the rest of your sound advice covered. You all have surely heard it by now that 2012 was the warmest recorded year for the US yet.
# 90

Here is a link that might be useful: Like aloof frogs in warming water we are...

o

While there are numerous individuals that have changed personal consumption habits for the betterment of the planet, it's not enough... and we'll never get there on a national or global scale in time to save the systems that keep Earth functioning properly for the survival of its inhabitants. The pressures humanity has placed upon the systems that maintain our planet are too great, and the influences of money have stood directly in the way of managing changes for the survival of our planet.

Science has been battling these influences for decades, but has been virtually silenced by government and media through those influences. Predictions based upon collected data are no longer just predictions... these things have come to pass and are now our reality. With pressures mounting continually, and influences working against the long term survival of our planet and its atmosphere/stratosphere and other systems in exchange for monetary satisfaction, Earth is slowly losing its ability to maintain life.

We're only seeing the beginning of what is the swan song of planet Earth, wrought by humanity all in the name of greed.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 14, 13 at 11:29

Science used to have religion as it most ardent adversary in it's search for truth. Today it's mainly the fossil fuel industry and it's thirst for wealth.

o

by Don Case on Friday, April 22, 2011
Garog and Muborg

Garog grumbled as she turned back to the viewer and
read the instruments. "Why do we let these creatures
continue with these activities?" she asked. "They need
learn by their own cognizance." replied Muborg. "You
know we must not interfere. The measure of validity is
completely related to the capacity to comprehend the
maintenance of existence. If they die out by using their
environment we wait a few thousand years for the next
species and monitor them, hoping for improvement."

Garog, still visibly upset muttered "I had so much hope
that this species would understand the connection of
all entities and mater, guess we will have to monitor for
another millennium. It gets so tedious, some of them
actually had it right."

edited for spelling

This post was edited by don_socal on Mon, Jan 14, 13 at 11:37

o

even where I am in on days that we have had over 42C it is like living in an oven..with the hot hot drying winds.

youngquinn, this past summer I took my kids to the zoo when it was 105 F (41-ish C). My 14 yr old daughter fainted, and we had to get the facility medical team to help her cool down, and I wasn't feeling too good myself.

Can't imagine what it must be like to live in those kinds of temperatures for months on end - Phoenix, Las Vegas, etc.

o

I have my potatoes in a hole, must check on them soon to see if they are rotting at the bottom, what with the ground not being as cold as needed, and too much rain vs snow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here