Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What will another term for Obama bring?

Posted by hamiltongardener CAN 6a (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 19, 12 at 21:46

As much fun as it is to watch the Republican candidates, I think it's probable that Obama will get a second term.

So what do you think Obama will focus on for his second campaign/term?

What will it mean for the world?

What new wars or conflicts?

What will be his international policy?

What will it mean for domestic policy?

Can he fix the economic crisis in America?

What about healthcare and social security?

Can he rein in the public debt?

Make your predictions now, before his campaign is in full swing!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What will another term for Obama bring?

A further right move & more copy catting of abandoned Republican ideas

o

Definitely moving to the center if not the right with an eye on his historical legacy...

o

The same plodding away at (re)building Rome... because it wasn't built in a day, you know...

Oh, and four more years of visceral hatred and stumbling blocks from the usual crew.

o

Unforeseen outside events often have a way of defining presidency's so I make no predictions. I have confidence with him in the white house.

o

maybe 35% more americans receiving some kind of government assistance. maybe $30 trillion dollars in debt. maybe a takeover and a handover of the airline industry to the unions. maybe complete elimination of the american dream of owning a home. class warfare that rises to new heights and maybe some kind of civil war before its all over. No thanks sounds like a horrible time to me.

o

Ha, ha! Such gloom, oppalm. I think mrskjun will leave Hot Topics when Obama wins a second term.

o

Might be a good thing if the president looked at restructuring the airlines.

News this AM is that GM has retaken it's place as the number one seller of cars in the world. Additionally Ford for the first time in two years is granting raises to it's white collar workers.

o
!RE: What will another term for Obama bring?

I think that Zakaria's interview with Obama might be insightful on a second term's agenda.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Mine is more of a hope/wish than a prediction: I would like him to react to the problems of foreign affairs in a mature peace enabling diplomatic manner and not to push American Imperialist ideals (that most Americans don't have) here there and everywhere.

o

Nope esh! Unless my dh ends up in the ranks of the unemployed and we can no long afford internet access, which could be a possibility if Obama wins a second term, then I'll be here.

o

hamiltongardener, I cannot answer specifically what Obama would do; I doubt that Obama himself could. To me, vision is like trying to see around the next corner. Even as I look, the situation changes. But to attempt an answer.
1. He will give up on some, consolidate with others and forge new alliances.
The US is being isolated from the south; by Chavez & Co. A similar trend from North Africa and Middle East. And these are only ideological disconnections. Economically, Europe and the Far East countries can be added to the mix.
2. There will not be new wars occasioned by the US.
One will be narrowly averted with Iran. Obama will "cross swords" with Netanyahu but he will not allow the two "children to fight".
3. Internationally, he will do his level best to avoid economic chaos. In the event that China will be 'feeling its oats', Obama will be challenged to find a workable outcome. On the energy front, the US will break through and lessen its dependence on foreign oil - considerably.
4. Domestically, this will stimulate innovations both tangible (products) and intangible (systems). This will create its own need for regulating and, in this context, some things will not change.
5. The economic situation in the country will have ceased to be a crisis by end of his second term; but it will be his successor who will finally see us through in his second term.
6. Health Care will learn to stand on its own merits by that time. Social Security will become more user controlled in similar fashion to the change from "Pension Schemes" to 401K's.
7. "You have to spend money to make money", is a standard in the economic system under which we live. The Public Debt will go up and down but the general trend will be downward.
Well, I was sitting here, minding my own business, until I saw your post.
Seriously, thanks for a thought provoking post.

o

I'd guess as well that reaction to events outside of political rhetoric will bring the most change - continuing and increasing devastation from extreme weather events, food prices, fuel prices, banking crises.

On the positive side, I think we'll see an increasing acceptance for gay rights, a continued, gradual shift away from coal towards cleaner energy - beginning with natural gas - and a further accelerating demand for home-based photoelectric generation, continued reductions in automobile fuel consumption, and cleaning up the pollution excesses of past years.

o

I just don't know. I don't. More of the same is what I see, my hope from the last election for REAL change is gone. Gloomy, I know. I guess I'm so disillusioned it's not even funny. I really had faith he could do more than he's done. But no one could've overcome it, I don't think. Nor can they in the upcoming four years. We may have actually found bottom. Climbing up is going to be really truly hard.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 20, 12 at 14:31

At the very least another Obama term will prevent the repubs from further screwing things up all over again. Besides, just about every president on record has done their best work in the 2nd term, I'd even put George W in the category....but not by much. This is most likely due to politics taking a back seat in a 2nd term.

o

Invasion of Iran, and erosion of savings for ordinary (not very rich) american citizens. Which will also happen regardless of who is in the WH.

o

I don't think that there will be a U.S. attack on Iran unless there's a false-flag operation. And there's a group in the Pentagon that wants to stay in Iraq. Who knows if they will prevail?

A lot will depend on the composition of the House and Senate, and the global economy as well.

o

The OP question is largely rhetorical and predicated on many false presumptions about the power of a US President to change or even to alter everything from soup to nuts.
Obama is doing a good job in almost every area.
He just needs to stay the course.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 20, 12 at 17:42

Was thinking more like what will "2012" bring ?? Lots of unrest in this country, more than some people realize.

And can I make one WHINE ?? Our local TV stations are already doing political attack ads !! Really ????

I predict a long hot summer in 2012, in more ways than one.

o

heri you seem to support Obama unequivocally and you broach no doubt which is a tad scary because it is dangerous in my point of view. What does "Obama is doing a good job in almost every area" mean because in some 'areas' he is doing badly. What power DOES he have and how can this be used to stand against those who want to see him gone? Perhaps he did believe in change, I certainly did but I thought he was going to fight for it and this is not what he had done except in the secret war 'area'.

o

The OP question is largely rhetorical and predicated on many false presumptions about the power of a US President to change or even to alter everything from soup to nuts.

Interesting.

Perhaps if this is truly the case, presidential candidates should stop making campaign promises about these topics. I'm curious as to why "the president has no real control over these things" has become such a meme in the past couple of months. The POTUS is starting to sound more and more like a Miss America contestant rather than the leader of a country.

If elected, I promise to do my best to represent my country by making appearances at all the soda shop openings in town and leading the thanksgiving parade.

*sweet smile*

o

heri you seem to support Obama unequivocally and you broach no doubt which is a tad scary because it is dangerous in my point of view. What does "Obama is doing a good job in almost every area" mean because in some 'areas' he is doing badly.

You accuse me of "unequivocal" support and then quote my unequivocal qualification .. "almost."

As far as your accusation that he is 'doing badly" can you expound on what exactly Obama has done or not done as President, given his entry into an historic global economic recession, foreclosure crisis, oil spill, two wars, uprisings and upheaval across the MidEast the pending bankruptcy of our US auto industry, a record number of Senate filibusters, unprecedented opposition (how about "You Lie" by a GOP congressman during a Joint session?), that you believe was so terrible.
And while you are at it, which areas has he done a pretty good job at/
Was it "almost'" every area that he performed pretty well or do you really believe he has 'done badly' ?

Even if you disagree with "Obamacare" wouldn't you would have to agree that achieving near universal healthcare reform was a historic achievement. Those who can now keep their twenty something children on their policy and those who can now get health insurance even if they are ill or lose their jobs and can't pay huge insurance premiums surely do not think that "Obamacare" is a bad, bad thing.

On the economy, the turn around in the amount of jobs lost/created every month is demonstrative proof that things have gotten progressively better in that area. The red bars were during Bush, the blue when obama took over:

While we have a long way to go, there seems to be hope with
Jobless Claims falling to their lowest level since 2008.

And never forget that Romney was in favor of Detroit auto makers going Bankrupt and perhaps having predator capitalists chew up the pieces and spit out the union employees onto the unemployment line. He was against a simple government loan which has actually saved the industry and allowed collective bargaining and management to make the adjustments it needed to make. Romney's microeconomic Bainish bankruptcy solution for our auto industry in 2008 would have placed our entire economy at even greater risk and hurt a lot of families...thousands.

How about the BP oil spill in the Gulf? I thought that Obama making BP put 60 Billion aside for clean-up and for businesses along the Gulf in Ala. Miss. La. and Fl was a good move,

How about ending the War in Iraq and winning the war in Libya? How about killing Osama Bin Laden and helping the Libyans execute the terrorist dictator Gadhafi?

Perhaps he did believe in change, I certainly did but I thought he was going to fight for it and this is not what he had done except in the secret war 'area'.

The criticism from the Left is weak and will mean very little in the next election. Sure, some on the far left will choose not to vote but they will rue the day they decided to sit out the election when a Gingrich, Romney or Santorum start appointing Right wing swing Justices to the Supreme Court. Good luck with that change.

As far as the "secret war" well, let's say Obama has done a rather stellar job against Al Qaida, who he has almost entirely defeated. There are the people who murdered all the people on four jet liners plus those in the WTC including the heroic rescuers. Obama got shot in the face, just like he deserved and something like 22 of the top 25 AQ leaders have been killed.
Sure, secret wars and drones are things we all would rather not be involved with. but what was the alternative to keep the country safe from the people that already attacked us several times? It is too bad that many innocent civilians have been killed unintentionally in going after the bad guys, but our military and CIA did and Obama did what he had to do.
Put it this way, the drones that killed top AQ leaders were a lot more tidy than what Truman did to Japan with 2 nukes.

o

hamiltongardener, my brother-in-law in Toronto had a look at your post; and cryptically commented that you did not ask about 'USA / Canada Relations".
Is there something that we do not know?

o

heri: I believe it is essential to look at Ohamas achievements balanced against what I consider failings. Andrew Sullivan made a neat list of one and within a recent thread I posted a link to the other. I am not saying that the bad outweighs the good only that it should be taken into account. The alternative is to produce spurious defensive arguments that suggest the only alternative to killing some innocent people is to kill all of them.

Here is a link that might be useful: not all good

o

hamiltongardener, my brother-in-law in Toronto had a look at your post; and cryptically commented that you did not ask about 'USA / Canada Relations".
Is there something that we do not know?

lol...I dunno. Maybe that's a good one to ask but quite insignificant in the grand scheme of things. I guess that would be covered under the "international policy" question.

Perhaps your brother in law is thinking about the Keystone pipeline? That's the only really contentious issue I can think of that's in the forefront right now.

o
Do they have the power or not?

Heri,

For someone who was so indignant that the issues listed in the OP were "largely rhetorical and predicated on many false presumptions about the power of a US President to change or even to alter everything", you just did a very good job of going down that list to give credit to a US President for altering/changing those issues listed.

o

"Obama got shot in the face, just like he deserved"

Is there a Doctor Freud in the house?

Hay

o
Things are looking good!!!!

With a 54% chance of Obama being, 75% chance that the Republicans will control the Senate and 65% chance that the Republicans will control the House, we may very well have a deadlocked government for the next 4 years.

The kind of government I love: Fun to watch, but they don't get anything done.

Ideal!!!

Hay

o

What will the next term Obama serves bring? More of the same... hatred, racism, lunacy from the extremists, more threats than our authority will let us know... meanwhile, the President will keep slowly turning those cogs clockwise, trying hard to do what he feels is right for the American people, in the face of obstructionism and partisanship.

Our children were ready for this President... their generation, for the most part, had no qualms about electing such a man, such a good role model. It's our parents' generation and the leftovers they conditioned us with that are the negative influence.

Oh, and there's also that little thing about ethics and integrity...

o
Obama being!!!

Obama being?

Obama being President!

I guess I might need a Doctor Freud, too.

Hay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here