Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frog

Posted by don_socal socal (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 20, 13 at 21:53

in pot as it warms then boils.

Guns, mass shootings get attention but many thousands are killed each year.

Politics, division is more prevalent each year and stalls any meaningful accomplishments.

Population, continues to increase while the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Water, rises in a linear speed due to things that we need to do something about.

There are many more pertinent analogies.

Here is a link that might be useful: James Hansen: Why I must speak out about climate change

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frog

I've mentioned this scientist a time or two...

o

One of my heroes who has been speaking out for 30-plus years about the impending spike in global warming. For years he was seriously muzzled by politicians heavily in the denialist camp.

o

More like "heavily in the greed camp", cronies of the fossil fuel industry and whatnot. The White House actually muzzled any reports on climate change, wanting a chance to rewrite or make changes and omissions before releasing for public news.

o

Donsocal, is there a transcript for this? Thanks.

This post was edited by terrene on Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 11:47

o

What I could find...

From the teleprompter

Edit to fix link

Here is a link that might be useful: transcript

This post was edited by don_socal on Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 12:56

o

Dr. Hanson recently wrote a very enlightening book entitled "Storms of my Grandchildren". Excellent reading... easy to understand explanation of the science and physics... very eye opening.

o

Thank you for posting the link, but that transcript is horrible! Gosh, now I feel sorry for the deaf. I did read it though, and the TED blog, so got the gist (usually don't have the patience for videos, reading is a much more efficient way to absorb info).

This reminds me of that article by Bill Mckibben in Rolling Stone that somebody posted last year (see link below). Both he and Hansen seem to sounding an urgent alarm about global climate change. And point the fingers at the energy industry.

I agree with Hansen that we need a carbon tax. Everybody including corporations should have to pay a tax on their carbon emissions. Seems the only fair approach. The hogs would be penalized; the thrifty rewarded.

Here is a link that might be useful: Global Warming's terrifying New Math

o

It's not just the energy industry... it's also other pollutants that are released into our atmosphere and stratosphere... fluorocarbons, aerosols, refrigerants, etc... and the cumulative effects.

These scientists have been sounding the alarm since the 1970's, but have been greatly ignored or silenced by the powers that be. However, our grace period appears to be slowly closing in on us... 2020 is the tipping point, according to Hanson and other scientists.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 17:24

Yes, the tipping point ---

o

Of course it's not just the energy industry. But I think they hold a very special position of culpability in this fiasco we're creating. Obviously they have long arms in our government if they can get NASA to threaten Hansen to shut up.

One thing that really concerns me is this "feedback loop" they talk about whereby global warming creates more global warming. As the ice sheets melt and the permafrost melt, it is releasing a lot of methane. It is a fairly potent greenhouse gas.

Who know if 2020 is the tipping point, or we already passed the tipping point? The scientists don't know for sure. At least they are struggling to address the issue! I don't see our politicians and leaders doing much of anything.

The fact is, we don't know what the crap we are doing! Totally wreckless. And Hansen has to appeal to peoples' emotions by playing the "grandkids" card. Christ, it shouldn't take concern about grandkids to buck up and stop wrecking the planet. Especially from those who (should) know better.

o

Our nation's best scientists guesstimate that we have until approximately 2020 to stop major polluting and turn to clean forms of energy in order to make climate change survivable, in order to save our planet from worse issues. I don't have the book in front of me at the moment, but that's about the gist of it, I believe. That's what gathered and studied measurements and information are telling them... and that's why they're trying to tell us!

Amazing to me that gun control is so much more interesting than the salvage of planet earth as a whole, that this thread will die after only a dozen or so posts...

o

We were warned in 1965, and maybe it's all coming home to roost...

Here is a link that might be useful: Was He Right?

o

Yes it is strange there appears to be little response to this issue but maybe it is overwhelming for the average person. Apparently Hansen has said the tipping point was 350 ppm CO2, and Bill Mckibben founded 350.org to raise awareness about this issue. They just measured 400 ppm CO2 at the Arctic last April. Hmmmm.

o

Wed, Jan 23, 13 at 17:13

If the whole planet worked really hard all together on this issue I do believe that we'll make it to 500 ppm in short order.

o

Many leaders in that area of science are being surprised at the increasing speed of the warming in recent years ... and the pollution.

Some are concerned that the tipping point may be closer than they'd estimated earlier.

ole joyful

o

Remember the show Dinosaurs, was checking out lists on Cracked and found this...

"Who could forget Dinosaurs, the lovable product of the Jim Henson Creature workshop? Earl "Not the Momma" Sinclair and his family dealt with typical sitcom family issues, occasionally taking on more controversial issues under a thinly veiled prehistoric euphemism (i.e.: masturbating = doing the mating dance by yourself).

But the real star of the show was the adorable and mischievous Baby Sinclair. With such a cute and cuddly tone, naturally, the show had to end with everyone dying. And we mean everyone. This is the only sitcom in history that actually ended with the on-camera extinction of the entire species that starred in it."

http://www.cracked.com/article_18490_the-7-most-soul-crushing-series-finales-in-tv-history.htmlThe 7 Most Soul-Crushing Series Finales in TV History #6. Dinosaurs: Absolutely Everyone Dies

Here is a link that might be useful: Dinosaurs Changing Nature Ending

o

Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 13:23

Had forgotten about that show. "The Wesayso Corporation", says it all.

o

I do think, much like some of the other larger issues our world needs to deal with, this one is just too big and frightening to contemplate on any kind of a deep level. It's scary.

At one point, we could have said, "well, no one is sure about it, so it might not be real"... but we know now that global warming is a very real thing.

And most of us average citizens have no control over the outcome, beyond the scope of our own households or communities, or who we vote for. We aren't the ones pulling the strings. We don't have the power, the influence, the loud enough voice that could actually get our world leaders to do something.

It's frightening. When you think about it and try to imagine what might happen in the near future... it's frightening.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here