Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
radiant hot

Posted by pnbrown z6.5 MA (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 12, 13 at 22:04

Trying to explain to a friend that infrared saunas are not some sort of modern magic. The hot metal of a wood stove emits infrared radiation, as does an incandescent lightbulb.

Any radiant heat is emitting partly or entirely in the infrared wavelength, right? Nothing extraordinary about it, I don't believe.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: radiant hot

I believe you are correct.

"Examples of thermal radiation include the visible light and infrared light emitted by an incandescent light bulb, the infrared radiation emitted by animals and detectable with an infrared camera, and the cosmic microwave background radiation. Thermal radiation is different from thermal convection and thermal conduction-a person near a raging bonfire feels radiant heating from the fire, even if the surrounding air is very cold."

Here is a link that might be useful: Thermal radiation

o

Yes, when they are facing the fire, their faces feel the heat, they are still freezing their butts off.

Is it the word "infrared" your friend is grappling with, Brown?

o

A black body will absorb light energy while a white object will reflect most of the energy. The conversion of the light to heat in the black body will result in infrared re-radiation from the black body.

o

Hmm, never thought about it! But, white man build big fire, stay back, keep cold; injun build small fire, stay near, keep warm??

o

He's absolutely besotted because he met somebody who has an infrared sauna. He's the kind of guy where every new (as in, latest kick that he's onto) has to be quasi-magical.

So, the conversation went like this, me:

"how is this any different from being in front of a fire or a stove?"

him, outraged: "what are you talking about?"

me: "I think any radiant heat might be infrared"

him: "no, this machine has special emitters that give out infrared, other things don't"

me: "a-uh"

And so another great Google quest began.....

o

Wow! an original example of myopia.

Where's the steam?

o

At the ballpark the hot dogs are cooked and kept hot under *infrared* lights! (Not that they are necessarily safe to eat.)

o

Have a saugy and relax...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here