Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Really Hot Topic

Posted by shaxhome Thimphu, Bhutan (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 17, 13 at 23:49

Of course this has nothing to do with GW (so stop counting, Vgkg!)

Just read that today, my home town of Sydney is currently suffering the hottest day on record. 45.8C (114.44F).

There have been record temps all over the country this summer, but this really takes the cake!

I'm currently sitting in Bhutan, where it's a bone-chilling -9C...don't know where I'd rather be!

I've heard Costa Rica is a pleasant place...

Here is a link that might be useful: It's Hot!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Really Hot Topic

Could you send me some of that heat?

I think I can make you feel cool.

This was my paito this summer

Photobucket

This is what it looked like last week.

Photobucket

Do you feel better now?

o

Even a tree house PATIO??
No stinkin' fair!

We are in an inversion- lows barely above 0, highs in teens or low 20's, rank air quality, desiccated, dead snow that raps the cold, thick ice on neighborhood streets and sidewalks and can't walk the dogs, "snowing" fog crystals which add to the slickness, the big weather news is that a high of 30 might hit this weekend - and then warm enough for all the nasty snow to melt followed by a fresh new layer of snow.

The last two are good news to me.

David, if you are reading this, how is your mountain pack coming along? We are about mid to low average which is fine but they predict a dry next month which could then get us behind the 8 ball.

I often wonder how your's is coming along, hope like heck it is a good mountain "snow pack" year for your area and state.

o

Shax its been too bl00dy hot !! Alice Springs has been well over 40 for weeks now with no break at all.

o

my home town of Sydney is currently suffering the hottest day on record. 45.8C (114.44F).

Yikes! Those are desert temperatures. Not as hot as California's Death Valley, but then Sydney is not located in a desert valley.

o

Why is Australia getting clobbered with such heat? Is the country undergoing desertification? Are there factors that are local to the continent or is it due to just general global warming?

Curious minds want to know.

o

terrene the experts tell us it is global warming. Rain less often but when it comes it comes in big damaging storms...and long periods of hot hot and dry.
desertification? that happened millions of years ago....the "red centre" of Australia has been desert for millions of years.
Of course, whites settled on the most fertile agricultural land...near the coasts.

our deserts are why we cannot sustain a large population , having only 22 million, despite having a landmass about 85% the size of America.

we are getting cooked

o

I dread this coming summer. We have had a mild winter and my bedroom window has been open the whole time.

o

Hot? We've had sleet and temps in the 20s this week.
This is more typical of winters when I was a child.

It is interesting to read what weather conditions posters are experiencing.

Marquest, it appears that we do have something in common.

You have a lovely patio--love what looks like very familiar slate.

Photobucket

o

No matter how we slice and dice the local weather, most places on the globe are experiencing above historical-average temperatures most days of the year.

o

Thanks Demi. Yes we have the same color taste. Love your planters and urns that is my first love. My second love are the plants that go in them.

I had to use blue stone because of our freeze and thaw conditions cannot use slate. It is a above ground deck 100' x 65' and I did not like the concrete look. That was too much ugly looking cement off the living room.

o

What stunning patios, Marquest and Demi.

DH and I both had a good laugh when he said "Hey, maybe you should post ours!"

Be glad that's not gonna happen.

o

Oh I didn't realize this was a "show off your patio" thread! But as usual, the threads on this forum digress...

Sorry to hear about what's happening in Australia. I could not stand living in such hot and dry conditions. Must be like a blast furnace. Would rather have cold winters, frankly, even though I deal with a lot of snow removal and it's a pain.

o

I love both of your patio's, so welcoming. Thanks for sharing.

o

It looks like a 10 foot plate height or tall ceilings on the first floor.
Pretty nice, but must be a lot of work going up and down the stairs, especially for people like me that are absent minded and forget this or that. I just can't do that anymore, but I love the look of tall ceilings. Very nice digs. Everyone should live like that.

o

• Posted by rosie NE Georgia 7A/B (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 18, 13 at 16:58

Shaxhome, I think I'd take Bhutan, much as I loved the Southern California desert as a nongardening frequent visitor. I winced at learning what Australia's going through and, from experience, know that when it comes to gardening I will take plentiful water as a tradeoff to the rest almost any time.

Here in north piedmont Georgia, southeastern USA, we're having another mild winter seldom dropping much below freezing (although single digits are still doable) and coaxing plants up, to almost certainly be followed by killer temperature swings. My long, lovely spring bloom sequence is a thing of the past--flowers early and late tend to open on top of each other and either be killed by erratic cold or brought to a halt by early heat. Killer drought periods are normal now and our lovely deciduous forest almost certainly in transition to the piney woods of south Georgia...

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 18, 13 at 17:34

Ok Shax, no #....yet
Hard choice 45C vs -9C
After droughty conditions here Summer/fall we've had a super wet change over from Xmas up to now, with snow on top. Too wet after too dry, ugh.

o

terrene
Oh I didn't realize this was a "show off your patio" thread!

No terrene I was trying to cool shaxhome temp down or at least add a perspective of,,,,,,Yes I am hot but never mind I will take my heat and you can keep that snow. I made the pic so small so that it was not a show the patio just to project the feeling.

o

I love seeing the creative side of HT posters. We are all a lot more than our political views.

o

Shax, it's great that you are still in Bhutan while AU is burning.

Today it was in the 40'sF/4.5C here, In a couple of days it will be -2F/-18C. We've had swings like this, although not so dramatic, all winter.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 18, 13 at 20:22

Chilly but no snow since last month ...

o

Minus 18 celsius here tonight....suppose to be day time highs next week of -22.........that would be minus! Time to get out of Dodge!

o

Ah, the irony...I'm sitting at my computer reading about my suffering fellow Australians baking and burning up, and looking out the window at the snow beginning to fall here.

To most of the USAsians, Canadians, Brits, I suppose snow is commonplace, even disliked, but to me, it's a real event. It's exciting! And in true Bhutanese tradition, the 1st snow of the season means it's a public holiday...

Even here, the locals tell me that just 10 years ago, this city (Thimphu) was impassable in winter due to heavy drifts, but now it's a rarity. Maybe because we're stuck geographically between the world's 2 most populous (and biggest polluting) nations, India and China.

o

enough already shax !!

o

Before I decided where I would retire I thought about moving to a warm year round climate but I decided I would miss the seasons so I stayed put. I can always jump on a plane and get away if it gets bad.

shaxhome. enjoy your mini-winter break. In our area we light the fire place and pull out a good book or pull out the plant catalogs and order some new plants for the garden.

o

I'm going outside now to play in the soft, gentle snow...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCZ84wzSii4

o

Lily, We both felt the same way about the hot deep south where my parents retired and where we spent the last few years stationed in the military before he retired at age 42.
So much about the area where we lived - on the coast (and areas of the state) was so truly beautiful, but we just couldn't take all that wet hot weather that is around most of the year. We would do our walking outside then too - after sunset, and when we were finished we both would be dripping wet - our clothes, our hair, dripping into our eyes -it was disgusting. We took almost entirely cold showers as soon as we hit the front door, trying to cool down and get clean, only to feel humid and hot again in no time even with the air conditioner running full blast, just miserable. A lot of people there love and thrive on the heat and humidity,.I don't get it.

We have lived here 18 years my yearly visits back are only in Jan or early Feb. Some of my family likes to visit in June when we are still often in sweaters in the morning and again at twilight, it is a novelty for them.

Demi, your patio and ( back of?) your home is just lovely. I noticed in the picture of the flower beds you also recently posted, does your property lead down to lake/body of water? I thought that is what it looked like from the picture and what a lovely view if so, lovely regardless.

If either of you want to install a slate/ stone patio in my simple back yard
( yard is what it is, with neighbors on all three sides!) - well........lets just say that I wouldn't be likely call the police on either of you over it, O.K?
;)

o

I find it only takes a few days or weeks to adjust to high humidity with warmth after which it feels pretty great. It's humid cold weather that is a real drag, such as prevails around here most of the winter.

o

Yes, mylab, I live on a lake peninsula--the area that is reflected in the windows off the back is the body of the lake, and the area of the flower and vegetable gardens is the side of the property--that is a cove area.

Thank you--that photo was taken over four years ago. The terrace area now has more furniture, mature plants in the planters and my requisite coral bouganvilla. I have taken very few photos in the last few years; that is the only photo of that area other than one with snow on the slate, like marquest's photo!

Sometimes I wish we all had never met on Hot Topics, but met first on gardening or home threads. ;)

o

Sometimes I wish we all had never met on Hot Topics, but met first on gardening or home threads. ;)

You would not like me in the garden or home either Demi. J/K

If either of you want to install a slate/ stone patio in my simple back yard
( yard is what it is, with neighbors on all three sides!)

Mylab give me a day. I would love to come and install a new stone patio for you. I love to remodel. It is so satisfying to take a diamond in the rough and see the results. I think every inch of cement in the world should be covered in stone.

o

Sat, Jan 19, 13 at 10:33

As far as the "heat of the south", my friends/family do not know how I can stand the "cold of the north". I guess it depends on what you are used to. I (barely) tolerate the cold for mild summers and my friend tolerates the heat for mild winters.

The patios are lovely ... what a serene place to sit and relax.

o

"I think every inch of cement in the world should be covered in stone."

I'll agree with you there

It's as though stone and wood are good friends that make us feel as one with the earth. To that end, everything is part of the earth. But I prefer the more natural forms.

o

Ohio, I have a suggestion of what to tell them.

I worked with a team when I did audits. The team consisted of people from Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, San Francisco. They told me they could never live where I live with all that snow. I told them at least after a snow storm my house is standing. It is not underwater, under the ground, or laying on the ground. I shovel those snowflakes out of my driveway and walk back into my warm house and sit in front of my fireplace and smile. They looked at me in shock but they never told me how horrible it was to live with a few weeks of cold and snow.

o

Sat, Jan 19, 13 at 11:12

It's as though stone and wood are good friends that make us feel as one with the earth. To that end, everything is part of the earth. But I prefer the more natural forms.

....what a lovely thought and one that I agree with :)

Well I am a heat "wimp" Marquest and not ashamed to admit it :)

o

Well I am a heat "wimp" Marquest and not ashamed to admit it :)

Cold and heat and humidity 'wimp' - at least the SoCal coastal humidity is with mild temperatures, and not as an intense humidity as other areas in the country. I live where fuchsias, tillandsia, plectranthus, and echeveria thrive. If I only had enough sunny ground so that tomato plants would not stagnate in summer.

o

I thought it was so interesting when I learned that the southern US was sparsely populated before the advent of air conditioning. The northern and middle cities were settled first and much more heavily populated.

Obviously, people could more easily heat their homes and be comfortable, than cool off and be comfortable. So without air conditioning, many of these so-called southerners would be miserable. Now fast forward and add global warming to the mix. Gotta have even more air conditioning!

I hate air conditioning and would feel trapped having to live in it all the time. HATE sleeping in it too. I'll take a little snow and cold, keeps me hardy. My house thermostats are set at 61 or 62F. I agree with Pnbrown that the damp cold can be bone-chilling! And the arctic blasts are tough.

The reward is that here in New England we usually have nice summers. It almost always cools off at night and it's delightful.

o

Sat, Jan 19, 13 at 13:41

Today it is near 50 degrees, sunny and overall gorgeous outdoors ... tomorrow we will have a 30 degree drop, not much snow in the forecast again and just read where it is "snowless" in Chicago also, but there is snow down south.

Topsy turvy climate ...

o

Count me as another heat wimp. I actually hate summer anymore because we don't have the summers we had when I was a kid...or even when MY kids were kids. We have extreme weather all year. Today it's pleasant with temps in the 40's. Tomorrow and the rest of the week highs will be in the 20's , lows in the singles. I walk the dogs 365 days, the only exception is ice ,which rarely happens. I can walk at 15 degrees WAY more comfortable than 95 with 85% humidity. I hate AC but have to turn it on to get rid of the humidity. Husband wanted us to get central AC which I nixed. I have my windows open all the time from April to October and even have one bedroom window open year round. I will close it when it's in the single digits. I am the anomaly in this family...the rest of them like summer and complain about the cold.

I would never ever be a snow bird, count on that. In fact I'd move further north like Maine where Bill and I could be neighbors. You'd like that , Bill, wouldn't you?...lol

o

Today it is near 50 degrees,

Last week when the highs is Los Angeles were around 50 (unusually chilly for the area), the LAT's front page featured a photo of a toddler wrapped in a thick jacket with a hood. The shameless caption read: Alaska or Alvarado [Blvd]?

Talk about weather "wimps" -- we're a city full of them.

o

As much as I hate the cold, it does have benefits. The freezing cold winters help kill off certain bacterias or viruses and other diseases and bad things. The cold serves to keep only the strong and healthy within the world of flora and fauna. So, there are benefits.

Unfortunately, the climate is changing, and not for the better. We've had much less snow cover, which means much less water to replenish the aquifers that supply our water source, as one example.

o

I am staying put!! Soon enough, local climate will resemble N.C. (a gorgeous state with four seasons, pines and palms, enough rain, and occasional snowstorms). Albeit, with the occasional hurricane, searing heat, tropical humidity, and periodic drought.

o

Sat, Jan 19, 13 at 14:13

Nancy let it hit the 50's here in January and it is considered quite "balmy" :)

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 19, 13 at 14:17

I wouldn't count on the next zone or two down quietly moving up to where you are, and staying the same as it was before. Hellish disruption and hardship are more likely to be the fruit of the coming climate regime, wherever you are.

o

When someone can call 50F balmy, I shudder. I was raised in central Florida with no AC, so I am a cold weather wimp.
There is a reason I'm planning to spend February in Central America (average temps 70 - 95 F).
I plugged in my birdbath heater last week, and was so grateful that (for the 1st time) I'll be able to escape the worst of the cold.
For reference, I typically heat my house to no less than 75 and the AC comes on at 80.

o

Sat, Jan 19, 13 at 16:12

My daughter washed her car today Steve :)

o

Brave girl (OM). At 50 degrees, I'm dragged down by 3 layers of clothing and wouldn't get close to water. At 90, I occasionally mop the sweat away from my eyes and keep on hoeing. Different strokes.

o

50 degrees here would be shirt sleeves and convertable tops down.

Quite cold yesterday, but it warmed up enough to dump 5" of snow on us - the nice dry fluffy kind. Blistering out there today with some wind; was right at 0 when I went to the grocery store. But it's "warmed up" again to the high teens so it's flurrying again. Tomorrow and Monday are supposed to be the coldest days of the season so far.

I like winter so bring it on. Minus 20 with no wind can be quite pleasant outside. Cases of hypothermia seem to be reserved for people swimming in L. Superior in the summer time.

o

We just went through a cold spell, lows -10 F to -15 F, (-23 to -26 C) highs around 20 F (-6 C) for about ten days straight. I know thats nothing for higher latitudes, but its pretty rare down here.

But we still need an awful lot more snow if its going to break the drought. The storm track has moved north again, and we're gettin' nothing.

o

Well, its 80F or a bit higher now and about 10% relative humidity. A couple of days ago the high was about 50F and lows in the upper 20s. After over a week of nightly frosts, we've lost the more sensitive plants but re-discovered the wondrous sweet flavors of the kale and other cabbage family plants.

o

My memories of growing up in florida (without AC) don't have hardly any cases of feeling too hot. I do remember the sun being too intense at times. I used to spend the hot part of the day sprawled on a high live-oak branch, reading and watching the occasional passer-by. OTOH, my mother grew up in florida without AC, of course, and she hated it the heat and humidity and remembers hating it.

So I think it's mostly an individual thing. It's anecdotal, but it seems to me that women generally dislike heat and humidity more than men. Maybe a thermostatic difference between the sexes. No doubt I will now hear how wrong that is!

o

You guys that endure those kind of conditions have my admiration.
I'll be grinning and thinking of you (not really) when I'm walking through tropical forests.
Winter, to me, is gray and brown up here, and I'm trapped inside. Down there, it will be green and whatever other colors the flora and fauna can deliver.
Enjoy your Winter wonderland - I'll be back for planting season.

o

Well, its 80F or a bit higher now and about 10% relative humidity

Shhh, earthquake weather...

o

"Demi, your patio and ( back of?) your home is just lovely. I noticed in the picture of the flower beds you also recently posted, does your property lead down to lake/body of water? I thought that is what it looked like from the picture and what a lovely view if so, lovely regardless.

If either of you want to install a slate/ stone patio in my simple back yard ( yard is what it is, with neighbors on all three sides!) - well........lets just say that I wouldn't be likely call the police on either of you over it, O.K? ;)"

Ditto for me too! :) Lovely patios, both!

I'm in Louisville, and it's quite nice here today--we're in the low 50s, but the high Tuesday is 20F. Ugh. (I'm difinitely not a cold weather person--)

o

Steve, sounds great. Eat a bunch of tropical fruit for me. Soon we'll be eating fresh citrus, which isn't half bad.

o

Nancy, run for the hills! Yesterday the temp hit 82 from a low of 34F and the RH hit 9%. Another one today. At the farm the soil temp at 6 inches depth is mid40's, so the water stress on the crops is very high right now. The irrigation water temp is in the low 50's.

Steve, I remember walking through tropical forests, me and a few hundred thousand mosquitoes looking for a mammalian meal.

o

I've lived in both the extremely hot states as well as the incredibly cold northern ones. I've concluded that I just can't deal with extremes at all. Either way, my body cannot adapt well if the changes in temps are radical and sudden. I grew up in the deep south without air conditioning. We used fans and had huge shade trees all around our house. Then I lived in very cold Boston in a building poorly heated.

Now I'm in SC where we just had a week of sunny bliss: temps in the upper 60's and 70's. But all that is soon to change, with the cold front coming in this week. What I hate most of all are the cold winds coming off the two rivers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here