Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gimme wine, gimme whiskey, gimme beer

Posted by fancifowl 5Pa (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 0:23

Whats everybody do for their fix?? and I know ya do.

We made wine for 30 years and kinda got wined out.
So,
we, no, I started makin beer. I like oatmeal stout and make one damned good brew, from a kit no less. Man, its REALLY good, and OK for breakfast cause of the oatmeal, but I try ta hold off til tenish or so.
My kid is finishing up the pot still Ive got goin. I still need to get the reflux stem and a couple a things before I run a batch. Probably use some horse feed for the first wash..
This is a health foods thread.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gimme wine, gimme whiskey, gimme beer

Very hot Tex-Mex or East Indian Curry.

Some Pakis I went to college with taught me how, and my Dad used to say "You make it so damn hot but it's good."

I love a good dry stout too.
The boys I used to drink with, often, would say "It takes like burnt toast" and I would tell them that was what makes it good.

o

Hey, I dont think we are popular here, it could be a dead thread!!
But, anyhow, this stout nI just bottled is a bit flat yet has that, whatever. I have a new keging systen I hope to bring on line soon( corny keg) and I am interested to see how that works out. will ahve to amke a lighter beer for that, maybe a red ale??

Its the pot still thats got me excited tho. I am a Bourbon fan!

o

When I used to go to bars frequently I was, and do still like, a bourbon drinker but realized one did not have to give another person a breath test to know the other had been drinking bourbon.

I switched to tequila and mezcal.
Best decision I ever made but then I loved the Lemon one usually consumed with either of the above.
It was best if there was a chick bar-hop that would give you a nice big slice rather than those paper thin things you get now.

o

There is nothing like the taste of botanicals in a good gin martini...

o

fancifowl, I stopped smoking many years ago; so all my vices are 'wet' ...
...and beer is one of them.

o

Cocktails.

Bombay Sapphire Collins. (No substitute Gin)

Dark Bourbon with Ginger Ale and a dash of vanilla.

Wine.

Paradigm Cabernet Sauvignon.

Any wine from The Ice House Winery.

Beer. (least favorite drink)

Columbus Brewery IPA
Dogfish Head

o

Teetotaler here, so don't want to be the death of a fine thread. Used to drink anything but gin to which I had an allergy. Used to drink too much.

o

must have been the Botanicals, Marshall.

o

I suspect so, brush...terrible headaches from gin, just one martini would do me in. Now a good manhattan...

o

We don't drink.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 12:47

"gin will make you sin" :)

Non drinker here but have friends that brew their own beer, they also grow their own hops. You should be able to do that FF. They give beer brewing demos at one of the local farmers markets, big pots over those burners that are used for those turkey fryers.

o

Another tee-totaler. Life is so much more satisfying when you leave all the drinkers behind. But one of them has resurfaced after 20 years, if you can imagine. Every time he oversamples the brew, I get 2-in-the-morning phone calls (when the bars close) waxing nostalgic about the good ol' days. All they remind me of are what a hassle a drinking "companion" is.

Kate

o

Even though we don't consume... I think if people want to home brew spirits for their own consumption, it should be legal... just as growing marijuana for your own consumption should be legal.

o

Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 13:09

Jodik it is legal to "brew at home", several people I know do it. I do agree that maryjane should be legal.

o

Its all legal, to a degree. Sure, home grown for personal consumtion should be legal.Friends own a craft brewery about a mile down he road. They grow a few hops and I had some growing but they became neglected so, they're gone. Craft destillers are the new thing. I just read how many are up and running in Pa and NY.
I am about to turn a 5 gal batch of apple wine to vinegar. Did a couple gallons 2 years ago, best vinegar we ever had.

o

Diet Mt. Dew is my go-to vice. I don't drink alcohol, so the caffeine is about as hardcore as I get.

I've made vinegar, it's fun, and easy.

o

When I lived in Europe, I learned to appreciate good wine, as well as Calvados, Cinzano, and some aperatifs. I have never, ever liked cocktails, other than a Bloody Mary or a Mimosa. I don't do MJ but think it should be legalized.

o

I don't think it's legal to brew any kind of alcohol at home... is it? I think some kinds are still illegal, no?

o

fancifowl, an anecdote.
Long ago on a far away sugar cane plantation, a crop duster pilot reported the sighting of a "bush rum" still in a field of mature sugar cane. We promptly went in, dismantled the illegal apparatus and brought it into the 'Distillery yard'. Some plantations had a distillery as an ancillary operation. The still was re-assembled by the staff and put into service.
We all were impressed with the quality of the final product.
Two nights later the whole set up was 'repossessed'.

o

Mostly teetotlar here. Once in awhile I have a few sips of dark beer if we are out at a show. Sake is the only alcohol I have any taste and tolerance for, and then just a little.

It's legal to brew beer and wine in MN and I think most states. There are specialty shops dedicated to home brewing.

o

Its all legal, but there are limits as to how much is produced. I think wine is 3oo gallons, beer??? shine, not sure but maybe 5 gallons? selling the results is where the trouble comes in but many bootleg small anmounts.I used to sell 2 cases a year of elderberry to an old doctor and his wife, for 'medicinal purposes.

We used to have a really nice wine club here. we have sowed wines at the county fair and small local competitions. Most beer makers just do it alone, same for shine.

o

Lost my taste for it lately - but used to like gin and tonic with a lime. Don't like sweet. Do like a cappucino martini at a certain place (Van Gogh has a cappucino flavored gin).

I don't think maryjane should be legal - just because of the damage it does to lungs. Yea yea, just like cigarettes do. But, I think cigarettes should be illegal.

o

I love some of the good NA beers with pizza and certain other foods. I need to be responsible at all times, so alcohol and drugs are not an option for me.

o

Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 21:28

You are right FF, home brewing of beer, wine and alcohol in limited quantities are legal but it is "not" legal for sale.

o

Good NA beer, isnt that an oxymoron, kinda like good cheap beer!!

o

"Good NA beer, isnt that an oxymoron, kinda like good cheap beer!!"

No; that's like saying you gotta get a buzz on in order to party! Alcohol doesn't actually taste good--not to me, anyway.

o

I will admit to enjoying a glass or two of red wine, a well made martini and an occasional ice cold beer. ......but not at the same time!

o

Time for me to listen to my favorite Willie tune again, Whiskey River...

o

I don't care for most alcohol... but I do know that the more sugar a drink contains, and the less pure, the more likely a hangover is to occur... kinda like eating chemical, sugar, and fat laden foods... yuck!

o

I like a glass or two of red wine when out to dinner, or with company at home. Never when it's just us. Never liked beer, even in college when that was all there was (oh and grain alcohol but that scared me and I never drank it). And the occassional bloody mary at a certain brunch place in Baltimore when we are there (which is not often).

o

I'm partial to Eagle Rare bourbon and Copper Sun(began life as Copper Skye) vodka. Mixed drinks are just OK but a necely made Rusty Nail is just fine too. A good bloody Mary is real good sometimes. Mostly I drink it 'neat'. Oh yeh, a good port, oh yeh.

o

While it is perfectly legal to make wine and beer at home it is NOT legal to distill-well almost not. There is a provision for it but the government does not think of it as practically legal--their words.

"From TTB.gov
"You may not produce spirits for beverage purposes without paying taxes and without prior approval of paperwork to operate a distilled spirits plant. [See 26 U.S.C. 5601 & 5602 for some of the criminal penalties.] There are numerous requirements that must be met that also make it impractical to produce spirits for personal or beverage use. Some of these requirements are paying special tax, filing an extensive application, filing a bond, providing adequate equipment to measure spirits, providing suitable tanks and pipelines, providing a separate building (other than a dwelling) and maintaining detailed records, and filing reports. All of these requirements are listed in 27 CFR Part 19.

then you take into account state and local law...

gin is the prefered drink-lots of lime.

o

We brew beer (not kit beer) the real thang! That's why we were so excited to get the induction cooktop. It's great for making beer.

We sometimes make clones. We figured out how to make Abita Turbodog by copying the ingredients from the label. My DH figures out the recipe and is the brewmaster. I am the head of the bottling division (well, somebody's got to do it!).

We pretty much don't have to buy beer in stores anymore.

o

I know those who scratch brew. I would like to give it a whirl one day. Those whove shared my kit beers are impressed, its good.

o

FF: You should try it. It's quite easy. We send away for our ingredients from a store in the suburbs or Boston. You have to invest in a few supplies but they won't break the bank. The hardest part is lifting the 5 gallon true brew fermenter and putting it into a 5 gallon carboy.

o

We have 2 shops within 20 miles which suply the wine/beer making hobbies. They offer classes a few times per year and I keep thinking of attending. They seem to happen in the busiest time of the growing season. ??? Why not winter?

I probably will get with it,. next winter ? I am wanting to get the still going this winter.

o

As an aside, a drink called a Bloody Caesar is preferred in Canada over a Bloody Mary......but it is almost impossible to find one in the US. It's made with Clamato (clam juice and tomato juice blend) rather than tomato juice.

Same with coffee with milk rather than cream....you get looked at like you have two heads.

o

Well, one could always procure the permits necessary to distill bio-fuel... which is seriously similar to making spirits...

o

Chase, DH's go to drink at brunch is a Bloody Caesar and he has no trouble finding them in NYC. He says he also doesn't have a problem when he is in L.A., San Francisco or Chicago.

o

• Posted by RpR_ 3-4 (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 22:38

The first distillery has opened in Minnesota since they made Minnesota 13 during prohibition.

I may have to get a pint.

o

In our household milk is always used for coffee. Why buy two products?

o

Bloody Ceasars used to be called Clamdiggers when I first learned of them in Indiana in around 1980...and that name was also used on the Jersey Shore at that time.

o

Good bars in larger cities usually know what I'm taking about but restaurants rarely do......no make that never do. Also can't find the Clamato juice in the grocery stores so I usually bring one bottle or a few cans of the pre mixed ones......Motts is the brand I prefer.

o

Are you sneaking clamato juice into the US thru customs without paying taxes?

o

Moi ? :-)

The Clamato can come in duty free . It's the pre mixed stuff I have to smuggle.

Actually I was surprised to find the rules on bringing alcohol into the States had changed. You can bring in any amount of liquor and the border guard has the discretion of charging you 1 or 2 dollars per bottle or waving you through. We brought in 4 extra and they just waved us on.

o

Jodik-you can also spend a year in prison as an option if you do so-not to mention the fines-if you get caught. I have heard they seldom do that but still...

I find it frustrating that I cant distill essential oils with alcohol which is a way better method than water without more hoops than is possible.

Since all the alcohol distilling thing is really about taxes and not that you can poison yourself if you dont know you need to toss the first part of the distillant does anyone know if it is illegal anywhere to grow your own Tobacco? Since the biggest part of tobacco costs is taxes which every state maximizes-why Alcohol?

o

lots of gardners grow tobacco, okay, not lots but I know several who do. Seed is readuily available at many sources. I have yet to smoke any which I would call 'good' tho.

If ya dont over do this stuff, who really cares if its legal??

o

"...Also can't find the Clamato juice in the grocery stores so I usually bring one bottle or a few cans of the pre mixed ones......Motts is the brand I prefer."

Chase, why not make your "clamato juice"? How hard can it be?

Here is a link that might be useful: Montreal recipe

o

Good bars in larger cities usually know what I'm taking about but restaurants rarely do......no make that never do. Also can't find the Clamato juice in the grocery stores so I usually bring one bottle or a few cans of the pre mixed ones......Motts is the brand I prefer.

Chase, I agree about the good bars but they also have it at the diner near me and I have seen it in other places that aren't high end but serve brunch. I can only speak for the greater NY area where it's stocked it in most of the supermarkets but not many of the smaller stores. So, if your travels take you to NYC, you won't have to import any longer. :)

Edited because I was instructed to tell you by mama epi that you can find it in many of the large markets in Connecticut and Florida also.

This post was edited by epiphyticlvr on Thu, Feb 7, 13 at 20:14

o

"Jodik-you can also spend a year in prison as an option if you do so-not to mention the fines-if you get caught."

If you get caught... what? I mentioned above... way above... that I was pretty sure it's still illegal to distill spirits, and that would include anything more potent than beer or wine. I don't know any state that allows the distilling of spirits, even for personal consumption, without the proper permits, fees, and everything else required to be a legal distillery. Making bio-fuel is a little different, and still requires the proper permits.

Anyone who watched "Moonshiners" and thinks that's all there is to making corn liquor will be very surprised by the amount of information... pertinent information... left out.

o

I just did some checking. I was otally wrong, its illegal to run even small batches rhru a still.

That moonshiners is a joke, like all the rest o those silly shows! A small pot still is a relatvly simple operation. Mine is constructed from an old DeLaval milking machimne, a stainless bowl 3 feet of 2 inch copper for the reflux stem and 1/2 inch for the dripper. 20 pounds of sweet feed some water, a little fermentation, put some wash in the pot and let er cook. (Simplified somewhat)

There are several web sites and forums dedicated to distilling.

Id swear I just read essential oils can be distilled??

o

"Id swear I just read essential oils can be distilled??"

No; Patricia said you CAN'T, and she is frustrated about it. Look at 15:04.

o

Yes fancy-you can distill esential oils but you have to go through the same horrible impossible system of fees and forms that you have to do to distill liquor for your own use if you use alcohol to capture the oils and then recover it during distillation-for commercial producers(I know some one with a Lavender farm) it makes sense but not for me with my tiny wants. I am free to use water or steam.

Jodik-I assumed you were talking about subverting the bio-fuel system to make liquor-people do of course.

Everything I have read says ATF isnt really interested in the person who wants to make a little Apple Brandy on the side for fun and entertainment but you never know.

I read not long ago that the people on that moonshiners show are not actually making moonshine since the producers say they are not making anything illegal. I saw a documentary about moonshine and to have the amount of product coming out of the coil that they had from the tiny little still they had you would have had to have a water hose attached to the other end. I havent watched the moonshine TV show. When I was a very little girl I remember my Papa going out to bust up stills (sheriff) that was Mississippi, and my brother and I found one in the woods in Alabama. We did not tell a soul.

o

One of the places I worked was surrounded by a tropical forest that held thousands of palm trees. The locals would routinely tap the growing tip for palm "wine". Mildly alcoholic, it was rather refreshing after a day in the sun. The guys would take an half hour at the end of the day, sit around and guzzle a few cups before heading home.

Somewhere in there, I noticed that all the spare plastic tubing I had for our aquariums went missing. Found the still in the middle of the forest - they'd cleared a few hectares of palm trees, knocking them over because the yield was much higher, and were distilling the wine by the drum full - my tubing went from the boiling vat through a canoe up on blocks, filled with water, condensing the alcohol.

Pic of palm tree being tapped:

o

Epi, tell Mama Epi ...thank you!!! I found Clamato at a nearby Publix . Must be a high demand product given the number Canuks down here!!!

o

Well, of course some people bypass or subvert the law... whether we're talking about making bio-fuel or just operating a liquor still... which is why we have federal agencies like the ATF and the ABC.

Even if the persons on Moonshiners are really moonshiners, one must be caught in the physical act of distilling, or any part of it, for it to be considered illegal... so a film is nothing more than a film, and a tease for stupid people. Reality shows are not my thing... I think the majority are a waste of time and energy.

There are many methods for making the various types of alcohol found around the world, but moonshining is an American institution... just as growing hemp was at one time. It's really a shame that greed and stupidity have made these things illegal and forced them underground.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here