Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Guantanamo Trials a Disgrace

Posted by labrea 7NYC (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 0:42

"The battered credibility of the Guantánamo trials has been further dented by revelations of hidden microphones, intelligence service interference with court proceedings and protests from lawyers who say the US military is preventing a proper defense of the alleged organizers of the 9/11 attacks."
You could have said this last year the year before of any of the years it's been operation and absolute disgrace.

The Previous Bush Military Commission was a joke & this new improve Obama version is no better.
The Clowns in the congress that insisted it be carried out this way are criminals who have aided in the perversion of US & International justice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Disgrace

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Guantanamo Trials a Disgrace

Looks like the scale of justice was totally tampered with...

o

Why don't they just turn them loose. Then they can send the drones after them. No possibility of torture...just kill them all. And anyone else stupid enough to be in the vicinity.

o

I thought Obama closed Gitmo. Damn, I better pay attention. He must have misled me, again.

o

I'm reading Jane Mayer's The Dark Side: The Inside Story of How the War on Terror Turned into a War on American Ideals, and Guantanamo was a disaster from its inception. The critics who correctly predicted the problems with 'enemy combatants' were ignored by the Bush Administration, and now we're stuck with this mess. No one seems to have the courage to do something about this disaster.

o

Posted by mrskjun 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 9:02

Why don't they just turn them loose. Then they can send the drones after them. No possibility of torture...just kill them all. And anyone else stupid enough to be in the vicinity.

o

Posted by brushworks Zone5-Ohio (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 9:27

I thought Obama closed Gitmo. Damn, I better pay attention. He must have misled me, again.

Thanks for pointing out Barack Obama's hypocrisy!

o

Demi K perhaps another 8 hours of sleep! Seems I remember you both didn't want them tried in Federal courts in past years posts!

o

I think at least one of you supported the pack of feebs who insisted the prisoners need to remain & Guantanamo. Lindsay Graham & company spark a memory in either of you.
The Magic of Military commission over US Federal courts.
The ludicrous idea that there was something better about doing it that way but no one on here could say what it was.

The number of posts on here about terrorist or would be terrorists convicted here & in other US Federal courts most of them no comment. TSK TSK

o

You don't like my idea labrea? The drones will give them a running start!

o

We can't possibly hold trials in the US because we're so skeeeered of terrorism. Congress won't allow it.

And then it turns out that half the people they picked up weren't even involved, just turned in for the bounty. But we can't find anywhere to turn these people loose, because now they hate the US with such a passion that they're dangerous. Or they might publish their memories on "My Stay in Gitmo". Nobody wants to take such a chance.

And then it turns out that we can't try them because most of the evidence against them is either hearsay or comes from torture.

Thats some mighty fine police work there, Lou.

o

mrskjun wrote,

Why don't they just turn them loose. Then they can send the drones after them. No possibility of torture...just kill them all.

The innocent ones, too?

o

Speaking of drones and extrajudicial killings....

Who's this Desmond Tutu guy? Does anybody pay attention to his opinion?

I am deeply, deeply disturbed at the suggestion in “A Court to Vet Kill Lists” (news analysis, front page, Feb. 9) that possible judicial review of President Obama’s decisions to approve the targeted killing of suspected terrorists might be limited to the killings of American citizens.

Do the United States and its people really want to tell those of us who live in the rest of the world that our lives are not of the same value as yours? That President Obama can sign off on a decision to kill us with less worry about judicial scrutiny than if the target is an American? Would your Supreme Court really want to tell humankind that we, like the slave Dred Scott in the 19th century, are not as human as you are? I cannot believe it.

I used to say of apartheid that it dehumanized its perpetrators as much as, if not more than, its victims. Your response as a society to Osama bin Laden and his followers threatens to undermine your moral standards and your humanity.

DESMOND M. TUTU
Aboard MV Explorer, near Hong Kong Feb. 11, 2013

o

K if you can't respond to the topic then the usual silence would be better appreciated!

o

I thought it was a logical response labrea. We don't arrest terrorists anymore. We simply send a drone in to kill them and any innocents that happen to be hanging around. I don't think it would be right to just send a drone over Gitmo, should at least give them a head start.

o

goad away

o

We don't arrest terrorists anymore.

So those headlines that I see re the FBI and terrorist arrests are just fantasies?

o

We don't arrest terrorists anymore.

Words: not meant to convey information or ideas. Hoot!

But maybe our soothsayer is making a funny about the trumped-up charges surrounding the clowns we have arrested lately in this country...

o

Shahzad was arrested approximately 53 hours after the attempt, at 11:45 p.m. EDT on May 3, 2010, by U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers.[He was taken into custody at John F. Kennedy International Airport, after boarding Emirates Flight 202 to Dubai.His final destination had been Islamabad, Pakistan
This was the failed Time square bomber..

In November I posted the proposed subway bomber had been sentenced to life only Jodik had a comment.
Bug ho hum for the crickets
The man came within days of carrying out a suicide bombing. He pleaded not guilt but his 2 buddies who planned to join him in this had already pleaded guilty in 2010. Big yawn but the Federal Courts did their jobs did what they were meant to do. We don't use drone in Queens Mrs K your statements are foolish at best! I'm being generous! It;s also was not the topic!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here