Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Query about the new format

Posted by dublinbay z6 KS (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 1:45

Help me out, folks.

I take it from what I read in a few posts (and from what I can barely spy along the edges of the screen) that some of you viewing the new format see light green grass or maybe just a light green background. Is that so?

I don't--and wonder if my ADblock is so efficient that it is blocking out the new light green background. What I see is a dullish off white--not the glare everyone was complaining about, but a kind of dirty white that reflects nothing.

I did contact Tamora ("contact us" link) a day or so ago because the glaring white background was too much. About 2 minutes after I sent the email, the dull, dirty white background suddenly replaced the glaring white.

So what are most of you seeing: light green or dirty dull off white?

And do you use Adblock?

Thanks for your help. I'm not sure what to complain to Tamora about until I get a better grasp on what is going on in general on the forum as a result of the changes.

Kate

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Query about the new format

I am seeing pale green "grass" and I dont use ad block as I dont see the adds. (I just train myself to not see them)

o

Too much bubbly...

o

hmmm that comment from "Mr martini " himself . hrmmmph!

o

Yes, I see the new green grass/blue sky screen. I have Norton 360 which blocks popup ads for the most part.

I know a lot of people don't like the new look, but I found it a lot easier on the eyes, and frankly it was just time to update it.

o

Martinis and manties are a winning combination...

o

What I see is a white form that is sitting over a pale green background, as if someone had laid a white piece of paper over it.

If you scroll up to the very top of the page, you can see the green more noticeably and to either side of the white page area there are silhouettes of green grass to start the green part.

But the part where you type and read, that is white.

o

That green grass scene disappears soon after arriving to front page. I see the house/plant window logo followed by GardenWeb with clouds overhead.

o

Posted by esh_ga z7 GA (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 7:33

What I see is a white form that is sitting over a pale green background, as if someone had laid a white piece of paper over it.

If you scroll up to the very top of the page, you can see the green more noticeably and to either side of the white page area there are silhouettes of green grass to start the green part.

But the part where you type and read, that is white.

Me too.

With light blue sky and puffy clouds at the top, over the grass.

This post was edited by demifloyd on Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 8:07

o

I see a dirty white page. Top is GardenWeb top title area is blue.

I use FireFox ad block add on.

o

HAHAHA....

Give me remote control of your computers. I want to compare.

Hah!

o

I get the same thing esh and demi get. And I like it.

o

On my tablet I see a sky blue and meadow green banner with the GW title then it switches to display the threads on a pure white background with ads along the side.

o

I only ever see a flash of the green grass.

When I am looking at the main forum, I see the topic names, dates etc all laid out in line on a bright white screen.

When I click to open a thread, the green grass picture briefly flashes while the thread is opening, and then it opens onto another pure white screen.

The blue sky with clouds is consistent though.

Oh, the green grass flashes when I hit "Preview or Submit Message" also.

o

Firefox here and AdBlock and results as described by the OP: off white background, top banner with clouds and not green. Nice and clear, if still too bright for long viewing.

o

I changed over to IE without ad blocking and found a cluttered page with much reduced space devoted to the body of HT, smaller and less distinct fonts and so less inviting presentation. I'll stick with the Firefox/AdBlock version.

o

That's interesting, marshall. I use IE and ADBLOCK and get a very neat, orderly, well-planned page--except that the background below the top logo is dull, dirty white. No green anywhere on my page except the word "Garden" at the top of the page and standing next to a green house and a thin green line going down the page and marking the right edge of the message area.

I guess the technicians are having problems getting the new format to work in all the various browsers and other combinations out there. Perhaps patience is the answer for now.

Kate

o

I see a dull white screen, with dull green borders along the edges. The grass and clouds are at the top header and top sides of the screen. However, when I used Ctrl + to enlarge the content of the screen, the dull green borders and grass went away.

I use Firefox, Flashblock, and Adblock + and don't ever see any ads. There is a big white blank border to the right of the forum content =====>.

I have both a Windows and Mac machine. Both have widescreen LCD's and this new format is lost in all that width. Have no idea what the new GW looks like on a mobile device, but suspect that phones and tablets are an impetus for the new format.

o

So nobody else sees the dancing pink elephants?

o

Oh, david, leave it to you to see dancing pink elephants!

Time to cut back on the brew? Or have you been joining Tobr for manties discussions over martinis?

Kate

o

Thanks, terrene, for the control+ function to enlarge the font. Didn't change the size of the frame though.

I really should learn to use a computer; software represents a far pavilion in my experience.

o

I just tried an interesting experiment. Usually I run my computer on 125% zoom level to make the print larger for my poor old eyes. I zoomed it back to 100%, and voila! (hey, I do remember some French!)--light green grass appeared on each side of the screen, each side about 1.5 inches wide. The shrunken middle section (where the messages are written and read) is still dull dirty white but looks much better when framed on the sides with light green grass/background. I went up to "View" and clicked on "text size" to make the text larger (since the zoom level is no longer enlarging my text)--that worked fairly well.

My only complaint now is that the shrunken mid-section also reduced the size of the box in which I type my messages. Not sure I like that at all.

Ok--I'll try this out for a week or so, and see if I can get used to it. At the moment, however, I prefer enlarging things using my Zoom-level--but then I have to sacrifice the more attractive new look.

Decisions, decisions!

Kate

P.S. No ads at all, in case anyone was wondering. My AD BLOCK succesfully blocks ALL ads.

o

I have no ads and a dirty white background down from the glaring white one before. I have no grass , just a blue banner on the top and a few clouds.

o

Update: I adjusted my computer's zoom-level to 110% , and that enlarges the print and the message box a bit (which I like), but leaves about 1 inch of light green grass/background on either side of the mid-section which is dirty white background.

That works pretty good for me.

Lily, I'm no expert on any of this, but I've been running my computer until now at the zoom-level of 125%. That expands the dirty white mid-section so that it fills out the entire computer screen--and thus covers up the side margins which are light green (grass or solid).

To uncover those side margins, reduce the zoom-level back down to 100% (in the bottom right-hand corner on my IE computer). For me, that shrunk the mid-section (dirty white) and the text size too much.

Going up to the top bar on my computer and clicking on "View" and then"text size" (I chose "largest") helped somewhat to make the text more readable for me.

Then I checked the top bar and under "View" found there was a "Zoom" subsection. You can customize the amount of "zoom" there. I manually adjusted it to 110% (as opposed to the automatic 125% the bottom right-hand corner gave me)--and that seems to work good for me. Text is a bit larger but the dirty white mid-section doesn't expand all the way to the computer edge--so I see some light green grass/background on each side.

Can you follow all that? I just learned 10 minutes ago how to do all that. Maybe it will help you also. I'm diagnosing your problem as the zoom being adjusted too high. (But what do I know when it comes to computers? Duh!)

Kate

o

Someone also suggested pressing the key CTRL on your keyboard and then using the round scroll button on your mouse (if you are still archaic and use one like I do) and that will also adjust the size of the white section of your page.

(If you like the green margins down the side of your page that was my suggestion - although others probably suggested it as well - it use to be white page on top of white rather than the white page on top of green like it is now) I was just trying to cut down the glare. If you don't like it -mmmmm ignore this then.

o

pink David? thats just silly , (my dancing elephants are just normal coloured) sheesh

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 17:43

I have no "grass" on the side, stop bogarting my friends :)

I have a white page stuck in the middle of strange pale color (maybe supposed to be green?), use Chrome and no ads for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here