Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Millions spent on pets for Valentine's Day!

Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 4:52

Do you lavish your furry friends with gifts today? Tell your forum friends about it...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Millions spent on pets for Valentine's Day!

I know you are too modest to tell everyone about the beautiful bunch of roses you sent Bailey!!

o

Nope. Didn't buy my cats a thing.

I still have a stash of Christmas presents (purchased at 75% off).

o

Ask Bailey where my Cherry Ripes are...

o
RE: Millions sp4ent on pets for Valentine's Day!

have you eaten the ones I sent you ? (what a guts!!)

o

No Cherry Ripes, no roses...

o

It's Lent they are fasting they are CATLICKS!
I made them chicken soup on Sunday

o

LOL labrea..

o

The husband and I don't even exchange gifts or cards, so I'm sure as hell not gonna spend money on crap for my dogs... much as I do love them. They don't know it's Valentine's Day, a day made popular by the greeting card industry, i believe, to sell more cards.

Most Holidays are bloated, overblown, commercially over advertised days meant only to fill the pockets of various industry. Bah humbug to all of it!

Why do we need a special day or the exchange of gifts to let each other know how we feel? I'm still here... he's still here... and we do things every day to express how we feel.

o

Perhaps I'll read them a poem from their favorite new Book
"I could Pee on This"

"SEPARATION

You can have the CDs
I will take the string
You can have the TV,
I will take this fuzzy thing
You can have the kitchen set,
I will take this crumpled foil
You can have the car,
I will keep this rug I soil
You can have the beach house,
I will take this tissue box
You can have everything,
Ooo I want these dirty socks
You can go to hell, I will see to that
For how dare you come home
Smelling of another cat?

o

Huh? Not me!

o

I should have named the author Francesco Marciuliano

o

I rarely even get them a Xmas gift, bad mommy that I am. Their holiday is every day of their pampered lives.

o

The day my husband begins to tell me he loves me all the time is the day we have a serious problem! And vice versa.

I don't need to hear those words all the time, or receive gifts on holidays to know he loves me. He sticks around. He does nice things for me. Actions speak a lot louder than words ever will.

Two days ago was my Birthday... know what I got? I got to watch Skyfall without hearing a word about how silly James Bond movies are... and I got an awesome deep tissue massage and chiropractic/pressure point session to put my bones and joints back where they need to be, and to soften up my muscle tissue that tries to compensate when I'm out of whack.

Call me easy to please, but that's all I want. That makes me totally happy! It's the little things that mean so much... not any words or gemstones or other expenditures.

And my dogs? They don't know it's a holiday. They don't know what a holiday is. All they know is... I love them because I take care of them, and I hug and cuddle with them, and I tell them often how good they are. All they really want is attention and good care.

For my house dog, it doesn't get any better than to make a nest on my bed by the pillows and take a long nap... with a full belly. And that's where she is right now. :-)

o

Though Lily's pets live much like my own on a daily basis, I do have to ' fess up that for every holiday sort of celebration ( including their birthdays) I do tend to give each a toy or new stuffie. The shih tzu loves the fat rubber rhinos( perhaps pigs?) which arent all that much smaller than she is and which make a grunting sound that even her small body can easily have them make. They are her beloved enemies which she loves to hate and attack, she has five in every color. We play with them and her every evening, oh the stalking and growling involved until she finally pounces and successfully subdues her victim....it makes my blood run cold *lol*.....we think she loves them because they are interactive toys, a small pressure by her and they grunt back causing all sorts of outraged pouncing, attacking and biting! I brought one home from Walmart for our old lab but the little one, only 3 months old and 4 pounds and smaller than the toy at the time immediately took it over and has had a lovingly hate based relationship with all of them ever since.

Both normally get a stuffed animal since both love them but there is a huge basketful in the bedroom and Im constantly tripping over stuffed toys dropped because something or someone more interesting caught their attention so they will get nothing extra today except for the handmade bow I made them ( they get new ones for every imaginable occasion) which I apply with velcro directly to their collar, and thus look cute without being too fru-fru, in my opinion of course! ;)

This is what becomes of people who didn't have all the children they wanted and end up with no grandchildren....they often become one of those "nutty dog people"!

And an extra "chicken bite" which I make from chicken breast cut up into bite sized pieces and freeze in a gallon sized zip lock freezer bag, taking out enough to defrost and use for them for three days. I dont buy dog treats, these are their treats they get twice a day and today they will be given an extra one much to their joyous delight.
--------------------------------------------

Although I realize that days like today are manufactured in order to be commercialized, I do approach them differently than do you Jodi. I believe that it is great to make a celebration of life every day as much as possible. Because that really isnt possible, we create celebratory days to enjoy, it makes life fun and worth living. Making it a universally celebrated day makes it a day celebrated by most of society if they so choose to participate. No one has to support any business to celebrate this day: I think its even better if we dont because then it requires more effort and the gift of ones self.

Lovers, what we are after all, can write a letter of expression of how their life has been made better by their loved one. That only requires paper and a pen, such letters have been kept for generations and are considered heirlooms left by their family members. Even five carefully chosen words can accomplish the deed. No greeting card can ever top that.

I like to serve our supper on a well laid table with all the best from several generations of my family who collected beautiful things in which to set a table, I leave the table set up that way for about a week to extend the atmosphere of celebration.
But, a few wildflowers or interesting branches in a glass, with the glass (or whatever holds whatever)tied up with a pretty ribbon,.placed by each plate, along with a tea light candle lit would create the same basic idea.

He has in the past arranged a surprise picnic for us at the park with plain sandwiches and a couple of waters and some cracker crumbs to feed the ducks - usualky on the weekend following Valentines Day since it tends to fall on a work dsy- he knows I love to do that but we just dont all that often. Costs us nothing, but the thought and effort makes the Valentines day gift meaningful and its another memory created for our pleasure.

This year he is taking me to a movie this weekend, we haven't been to one in ages, its something I love to do and finally there is one I specifically want to see, one in the afternoon and then off to the nice Barnes and Noble just to browse - that part is his gift to me since I always want to stay at least a half hour after he is ready to leave! We probably wont buy anything, just browse, unless the big sale table unearths something that interests one of us.

Other years we have spent sometimes too much money on each other but that is ok too, if it created an equally nice and meaningful day rather than just another unremarkable day we might have enjoyed together. There are enough of nice, unremarkable days in our lives, we need to create most of the special ones ourselves if they are to come to be.

You can make a celebration of a day, even a commercial day, become something meaningful and fun without someone having taken your power of choice away. Its all on how you go about it - and then, in my opinion, instead of having simply another ordinary day go by, the details which will be forgotten about in less than a month, you have made it a day to be remembered by the same time the next year. Without handing over a penny to business, which can be the one of the highlights of the day! I fear you miss too much in the way of extra celebration of a day in your fight against big business and their manipulations regarding the public and their wallets, Jodi.

You can beat them at their own game while making a celebration of what would otherwise be just another ordinary day. There are enough ordinary dsys, its why celebrations of the ordinary make them extraordinary.

I think we have discussed this before,,, I see you remain completely unconvinced by my argument ;)

o

I'm gonna give them a big ol' hug and lots of pats, but that's every day. I might even snuggle with 'em. They're sweet.

o

My Mike and Maddie have I love you every day. If I kissed and loved on them any more they might run and hide. Lol.

They have stockings at Christmas and presents with the GDaughter (she probably thinks they are her dad's brother and sister) lol.

Aaaw life is good.

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 18:25

No, we don't, but that money is important to the people who sell the millions of dollars worth of pet stuff.

I did pet the cats and offered them a bit of pasta and some fudge. No takers.

o

I hear you, Mylab... I guess we've had so much bad luck and accidents invade and set back our lives that we've learned to celebrate every day, making what we consider the most of each one in our own way... and we simply can't justify spending money as the commercial world wants us to. In fact, we reject it.

Dogs are very much like children... eerily so at times. We live too far away to visit family often, so having the dogs is nice... it's comforting. And not just because they're our protectors. They're our children, too, in a way.

We're very particular about what we give them... to play with and to eat. We avoid the majority of manufactured pet toys and bagged feed, and we go through the effort every day to ensure they get the proper nutrition, and nothing that would cause any issues, with regard to toys.

If you knew us, you'd think us very unconventional... very different. But we're very real, very honest and open... brutally so. We're unlike any couple we know... and as we get older, we get more set in our ways. :-)

For those who do celebrate, Happy valentine's Day... may all your wishes come true.

o

I gave the dog a box of chocolates for Valentines Day.

Another Shocked Smiley

o

I think I heard on TV tonight that people spend 83 million dollars on their pets for Valentine's day. No wonder the rest of the world hates us.

o

What did we get our pets for Valentine's Day? Well, our male cat hit the jackpot. He was diagnosed last week with inflammatory bowel disease, and what it cost us just to reach the diagnosis would cause someone in the 1% to faint. It was a long and difficult time, and included exploratory abdominal surgery.

So this lucky kitty has now been gifted with a slew of meds, vitamin injections once a week, and a terribly restricted diet. If he gets tired of duck, he'll be graduating to rabbit, pheasant, kangaroo, and brushtail.

MyLab - You don't have to be without children and grands to treat your animals like this. Our children and grandson live far away and we rarely see them. So my maternal instincts are lavished on our two cats. I think this is natural.

o

Lily, the rest of the world made most of the $83 million worth of products we bought for our pets. I don't think they hate us all that much.

o

Humans have some strange ways of meeting their needs -- pets are pretty much no-risk, no harm, no foul.

o

It IS natural to treat our beloved pets with a maternal or paternal kind of instinct... we love them! In my case, I've also had to balance dedication and responsibility to the breeds I work with, but that doesn't mean I love them any less.

Watered down, over-sugared American chocolate isn't that poisonous to dogs... especially if their systems become used to eating it over time. My AB female could eat a whole bag of chocolate without incident, but that was only because she'd grown up sharing everything I ate!

Warning: I would definitely NOT feed large amounts of chocolate to a pet that wasn't used to it! I can be harmful!

I also avoid feeding raw pork, raw fish, raw eggs or chicken... all of which would be commercially grown. Natural or organic might be different.

We also avoid allowing the dogs to ingest caffeine, alcohol, and other items which might not be good for them... and we avoid cedar bedding of any kind, which is known to cause internal organ issues.

We don't give toys that contain small parts or squeakers, balls small enough choke on, toys with paint or dyes... we avoid rawhide products, and large, dry, smoked bones that can turn into concrete in the intestines if the pet does not ingest enough water while eating the bone.

Most of this is breed specific, and from decades of canine experience. While many breeds can easily ingest chicken bones and other items without incident, some breeds should not... and individual dogs often are kept away from items that they've not had a change to get used to digesting.

We do feed leftovers and most people foods to our dogs, but we eat a very natural diet. We do demand good manners from our dogs, and they know not to beg, and will leave the room while we eat.

Dogs require a much higher amount of protein than most common dog feed bags list... and the protein listed on a bag might not be usable protein. Quality feed has always been expensive, and we've never seen truly high quality dog feed offered in kibble form. Pelletized, as in rabbit type feed, or granular are the more common shapes of the really high quality feeds.

Too often, however, the high cost is not due to quality inside the bag, but rather to profit and advertising. Research and data crunching are necessary.

We avoid fad pet diets, and we research everything fully before recommending it. Regardless what my fan club thinks about me, I do care deeply about the safety and well being of my animals.

o

• Posted by RpR_ 3-4 (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 15:47

Posted by jodik

"It IS natural to treat our beloved pets with a maternal or paternal kind of instinct... we love them! In my case, I've also had to balance dedication and responsibility to the breeds I work with, but that doesn't mean I love them any less.

Watered down, over-sugared American chocolate isn't that poisonous to dogs... especially if their systems become used to eating it over time. My AB female could eat a whole bag of chocolate without incident, but that was only because she'd grown up sharing everything I ate"-----------------Some, a small minority can tolerate it, but it is not good for them in any manner.
Do not give dogs chocolate.
A gent I worked for, his dog was give a chocolate bar by a child and a few days later it was dead.

A vet said they could try to save it but doubted they could, so they had killed to stop its suffering.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here