Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much would you pay for--

Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 5:00

a bloody sock?! Famous Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling's is being auctioned off in NYC Saturday and has already fetched a bid of $32,500 online! He wore this thing during the 2004 World Series. Your bid?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much would you pay for--

Maybe the bidders have a foot fetish.

o

Maybe I should try auctioning off some manties...

o

Gag. I think I'll pass on this little item. Gag again.

o

Yes, bloody socks are disgusting...

o

Zero.

I can't fathom the hero worship or whatever it is that causes one the need to collect items formerly belonging to anyone, whether a sports figure, musician, or anyone of fame. And some of the items collected are what I'd call disgusting in nature. Why on earth would anyone want a bloody sock?

Okay...

o

Not much.

I don't tend to invest in things unless I'm pretty sure of their current/future resale value and/or they have a utility, personal or income producing value.

o

Wonder what his empty HGH vials would go for.

o

I've decided that to a lot of people, money is just a toy to play with, to have fun with.

I've wondered about this buying junk that famous (or not-so-famous) people once used or owned. Why??? Is the dress that so-and-so wore, really all that wonderful?

And I feel really sorry for those to whom such items are important.

o

Nothing.

I wouldn't even ask a celebrity for an autograph.

They're only people, just like us.

o

I might pay you something to keep it away from me!

o

OH....Agnes,

I'm willing to bet that some posters here would buy cast-offs from the Obama family.

o

Good heavens - there are schmucks out there who'd buy vials of Elvis's sweat before leaving their tour of Graceland.

o

and silly women who will buy anything Kate Middleton is wearing this week.

o

Posted by brushworks Zone5-Ohio (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 13:23

and silly women who will buy anything Kate Middleton is wearing this week.

...or Michelle Obama, or Jennifer Aniston.

Just look at what makes the news--those Kardashian people and illegitimate "baby bumps."

The media spoon feeds what they want people to think is important--it's no longer the celebrity of Babe Ruth and The Beatles.

Those that get attention for bad behavior are lauded by the media as a celebrity to be chased and adored.

This post was edited by demifloyd on Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 13:38

o

I would pay nothing for anything owned by a famous person.
John Kennedy's bomber jacket sold for half a million yesterday.

o

Think of the mentality that stopped you from washing the sock because you thought it would be worth something someday.

At any rate, surely Schilling needs the money for lawyers to ward off jail time for fraud charges.

o

Bricks form a stadium seats from a stadium Uniforms dirty is better than clean. Collectibles are for collectors! I think I would prefer buying a piece of sports memorabilia as an investment than a Jumeau Doll or an autographed program from the Beatles each potentially double digit items The market for Red Sox memorabilia is strong the bloody sock was gone on about over & over in print & on TV during the series.
Schillings 38 Studios was later investigated after it filed for bankruptcy. The Massachusetts based company moved to RI with promises of loans.

Chapter 7 bankruptcy documents filed in Delaware, Mr. Schilling’s company, 38 Studios, and three subsidiaries owed more than $150 million to creditors, but have assets of no more than $50 million.

Yep lots of start up businesses fail even with State funding.

A Mickey Mantle Game worn Jersey can easily go for $30,000.
A Jersey that belonged to MM might only fetch half that if it was not game worn.
One person's ick factor is another's retirement gamble.
Original Barbie's mint $8-$12

The NY Metropolitan Museum has a fantastic warbrobe/costume collection. For those who chase fashion & who wears or wore what it can be a very lucrative pastime buying the used dresses of 1st Ladies.
On 1 level there are the collectors who trade among themselves driving prices, then the secondary markets, libraries & institutions & lastly the general public.

Jackie O was notorious for off loading a lot of her stuff to various thrift shops.

o

Brush, your response at 12:42....

I often wonder if you see yourself as an somewhat amused, often bemused, un-involved non- partisan and unbiased, politically detached observer?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here