Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Feds gave Ri 250 K to study the effects of climate

Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 5:02

change on the citizenry. I could have told them for nuttin. Hotter summers and colder winters are driving my utility bills thru the roof, How about you? And the utility company just jacked up our rates by about 9%. It is an outrage I'm telling you, a freakin' outrage...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Feds gave Ri 250 K to study the effects of climate

Will you be under water as the sea level rises?

Are there any hills in RI?

Got any hip waders?

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

o

Cheap energy is nearing its end. There will be jobs in insulation retrofits in a few years, though.

o

WxDano wrote,

Cheap energy is nearing its end. There will be jobs in insulation retrofits in a few years, though.

I was interested to learn about the "passivhaus" concept; I wonder if there will be growth in that homebuilding technique in the US. These homes require as little as 1/20th the energy to heat and cool.

o

"passivhaus" concept; I wonder if there will be growth in that homebuilding technique in the US

I'm writing an article with a collaborator who lives in one, her spouse is a leading proponent of passivhaus. Personally I think they are a nice niche but require a lot of input.

I have friends who have a nearly off-grid house, but for a couple months in winter when there are too many clouds for passive heating.

o

WxDano wrote,

Personally I think they are a nice niche but require a lot of input.

I'm not sure what you mean -- clarify?

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 12:56

I they are nice to a certain extent, otherwise require a lot of input maybe they should be called passiveaggressivehaus.

o

LOL! bboy

Dano, the passivhaus concept is remarkable and would go a long way in making us energy-efficient, if not sufficient.

o

There are several houses around here with the glass walls on the correct SWW orientation, made with adobe brick so the walls are 2-3' thick, and using modern ceiling insulation with solar power/water panels on top, that come pretty close - wood fire for the few weeks on cloudy winter days where they need supplemental heat.

Mixing the old and new....

o

I'm not sure what you mean -- clarify?

Open curtains, close curtains, move area rug, shift furniture, crack door, close door, cushions off window seat, trim trees, design carefully so no trees obstructing, purchase large lot, design carefully...

I went up to Montana to work on strawbale project to learn techniques, but not a fanatic about the whole thing. They are cool, just not for everybody. One day the techniques will of necessity be incorporated into more structures, though. The modern forms in, say, Net Zero homes in Germany, have some new bugs to iron out.

o

250k? That study should be wrapping up pretty quickly, I'd say.

o

Feds gave Ri 250 K to study the effects of climate

But better not give anybody anything to study the effects of firearms on the population or the NRA will be all over your case. Second Amendment doncha know.

-Ron-

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here