Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are you suffering from winter malaise?

Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 5:20

I know that I am. There is something about dirty snow and potholes that make spring seem like a dream. Good food and drink see me thru. How about you?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are you suffering from winter malaise?

its all sunshine and looong summer evenings over here ...but I guess you didnt want to know that hey ? (hehehehe)

o

Cruel, very cruel...

o

Arriving seed and flower catalogs help somewhat...

o

It's the never ending rain that is getting to me. I can't remember a day without rain in weeks. Lot's of things popping up, blooming, but my yard is like some giant sponge...I just want some sunshine!!

o

Listening to "Here Comes the Sun" daily...

o

I saw this post title and thought "who has time for malaise?" But it's true that I'm sick of potholes and having to wear a coat all the time.
But i'm on spring Break next week and I'm vending at my first craft show of the season on Saturday, so it does feel as though there is light at the end of this dreary tunnel.

o

No snow here, but lots of rain like mrskjun. The ground is so squishy! Looks like the promise of blue sky here today - and it will be very welcome.

o

Yes, February is always a tough month, and this one is no exception. Dreary, cold, rain, and of course work. It's still dark when I get home in the evenings, I think that's the worst. I crave carbs and get cranky.

I'm taking off on Friday and heading into Washington, DC to see an exhibition at the Smithsonian American Art Museum - The Civil War and American Art. Most of my favorite American artists painted then - Winslow Homer, Frederic Church, Sanford Gifford, Eastman Johnson.

The funny thing about them is that I didn't know that they were contemporaries or really when they painted until I saw a report on this exhibition.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Civil War and American Art

o

Yes, BIG TIME.

I really, really hate winter. My hatred of winter gets deeper every year.

This past weekend, I was painting some window trim in my house, and opened the window to paint the window sill. I expected the freezing air, but it was actually quite pleasant. And birds were singing! That helped.

Baseball spring training helps. The prospect of youth baseball starting soon helps too.

A co-worker recently moved to Hawaii. They still work for us -- from home. I can't get that idea out of my head...

o

pidge, big craft and antique show in our town this weekend. What kind of crafts do you do?

o

I'm a jewelry maker, Mrsk. I've got a couple of big shows like the one you mention coming up for spring and early summer and then again in the fall. Right now it's just local churches and schools for me, but they are always nice even if not big money makers. Gives me a chance to try out new stuff and see what's hot for the season. Leather bracelets!

o

Here in the Intermountain West we don't get that malaise. Too much sun and many things to do. Speaking of that, there is shoveling the driveway this A.M...

o

Luckily I have escaped the worst but......it's over next week , back to 3 feet of snow until mid April when I escape again.

Very spoiled this year but I'm told I best not get use to it!!!!

o

I would love to see some of your jewelry pidge. I have two sisters that make jewelry. One of them does shows, but both are in a shop. I paint, on furniture. I used to do shows as well, but now I've settled into a shop and mix my furniture with antiques.

o

I try to plan to be busy so I do not have time to feel the winter. I use to plan a winter get away for two week on a warm island. The last couple years taking care of my Mom and other related things I have been home.

Because I did not plan anything one of my properties decided to keep me busy. Pipes froze and water was everywhere. So I have been busy for a few weeks with contractors, insurance company, shopping for replacement tile, new kitchen, new powder room, new family room. This house should go for a higher price everything will be new. Win, Win for me.

The great part is it gave me something to do. I am enjoying my next best fun activity I love tropical islands but....... I love to shop especially for tile, wallpaper, and any home repair items.

Another winter taken care of no winter malaise for me. I do not have time to notice.

o

Strange winter Cherry Blossoms blooming in January some of our roses were still blooming in the end of December. Freezes didn't really start till February. I stay busy & keep in mind no codl no peonies or any of the other blooms that need winter. I think if I lived outside the city I might go mad. Having options for things to do calms the inner whiner!

This post was edited by labrea on Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 12:45

o

No complaints of winter malaise in Los Angeles.

We complain about rain and mud slides and closed roads during an El Nino year. This year I'm complaining about the scant rainfall. Bought a new hedge shear, and I'll tackle the eugenia this weekend.

o

Skiing, sunny days, pepper and onion seeds planted, and track season just started for the DD.

The fun starts in April - early May when the wind blows. And blows. Then it gets windy. The best soils around are loess, coming in off the desert, and we're reminded just how that works.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 10:45

We have had, for the second year in a row, very little winter ... only three significant snows so really haven't been stuck in the winter blues here in the city by the lake.

Looks like another year of early blooms and longer growing season.

o

I did a fair amount of beading and jewelry making, myself, before my eyes got bad, Pidge... good luck at your craft show!

o

Yes definitely. Sick of a cold house, sick of the stale dry air, sick of winter. January and February are the worst months of the year, IMO. Thank goodness they have almost gone by, for yet another year!

On the other hand, a good friend and his W are avid skiiers, and he loves the winter. He gets depressed every Spring, and wonders what to do with himself. Ha! I won't ever have that problem.

o

It's pruning season and I'm loving it.

My new landscape is pruned and ready to start growing. I have helped several neighbors who have no interest in plants. Little do they know they are giving me therapy. :)

o

Pruning? Yuck. I try very hard to plant things that don't require pruning (e.g., they have room to do what they do naturally). I also don't want meatball shaped plants (no surprise given the previous statement).

But enjoy it if you like it!

Unfortunately I just got word that I need to move 5 mature blueberry bushes that are too close to the house in regards to a new termite treatment next week. Plenty of work ahead to figure out FIRST where to put them and then to do the move!

o

Pruning and shearing are two different methods of plant horticulture.

Pruning out dead stock and old wood to make room for new wood and growth. That's horticulture, not meatball shaped plants.

Try growing grapes without pruning or building young trees into strong mature trees without pruning. Good luck.

All of my landscape appears natural and "cared for".

Added:

Or were you barking at Nancy for shearing?

This post was edited by brushworks on Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 12:09

o

I managed to acquire SAD, or Seasonal Affective Disorder 30 some years ago. It was very frustrating until we finally found out it was a reaction to the weak winter sun. Now when I try to sleep 24 hours a day, I cure it by turning on the lights. It varies from year to year and geographic location. Wish I could spend the winter much further south.

o

Mom, I wish I could go, it sounds like a wonderful exhibition.

Jodi, you should look into those larger lighted magnifying glass jobs that are at the end of a long multi-jointed "arm" and can easily be attached to table edges. My husband has one set up on his workbench in the garage. The arm can be swung and exactly positioned as needed and magnifying glass itself can be instantly moved and adjusted to any exacting position. He uses it when doing tiny electronic welding work along with other things.
Although my small little hand held magnifying glass works perfectly well for most of my needs, his is great for the times when I need both hands, a greater magnification and good, direct lighting aimed directly on the subject at hand.
They aren't all that expensive since most are made in plastic these days - it could be something a little bird could perhaps whisper into your children's ears as a nice gift they could give collectively even as a birthday or as a 'just because' gift.
Jewelry making must be a terrific craft for those long winter days when venturing into the cold snows is an idea deemed unacceptable and enjoyable craft making can fill the hours with the reward of a beautiful finished product.

We don't get much here but I wont drive on snow days. Men, but women too who drive trucks, mini vans, jeeps or anything with 4 wheel drive seem to think that it's completely unnecessary to change their driving standards just because of snow/ice on the roads. They are in a big vehicle, some even have 4 wheel drive! Nothing can harm THEM!
This is the only time when I experience the feeling know as road rage, I feel so furious at the driving behavior of some of the middle aged idiots that I want to HURT them.

So I just stay at home those days.

We are finally breaking out of winter, the last few days have approached the mid 50, this weekend we could see a day with the high of 60 if the stars align exactly right and the warmth god is pleased.
Of course the nights are still below freezing, there are plenty of cold days with a few more snow/certainly hail days ahead- but I think the hard winter has now passed us on by. Just in time too, I just love every season but just as Im sick of it, we transition into the next season.

Well, as a general rule. We are having *considerably* longer amount of hot days of summer, leaving us with a considerably shorter amount of the cool , crisp Autumn days. That trend began about ten years ago.

o

I love winter and dread the coming of spring. Spring is nice, but it's usually short-lived and goes in to the brutal horrible humid drought ridden summers which are common-place the last decade here in PA. I love cold crisp days and never complain, but i do my share when it's 95 and 100% humidity.

The only thing I don't like about winter is dressing the dogs and myself every day for our walks. It's nice to just open the door and leave. I love sleeping in a cold room with down comforters. I leave my bedroom window open year round and it's cold in there, and I love it. Plus the fact we have had a few measly inches of snow and are going into a yearly deficit already. I have the opposite of SAD. Mine occurs in the spring.

o

jodi and mylab, I use Ott lights and some of those come with a magnifying glass attachment. They are small enough to move around the house as I tend to work in different places depending on the task at hand.

o

The eugenia hedge came with the house and judging from the size of the trunks it's been around for sometime. I don't like the psyllids that attack the plants, but the thought of cutting down the hedge and removing the stumps makes me want to lie down and take a nap. If I were to remove the eugenia, I would plant something with more open growth that only needed pruning. Since we're on a walk street (only a sidewalk separating the houses facing each other) I would still want a planting for a softer edge to face pedestrians rather than have an exposed 3' fence. Maybe a passion-flower vine or allow the established star jasmine to drape over the fence.

o

I've seen the Ott lights in catalogs... they're very nice, but out of my price range at the moment. I do have a lighted magnifying glass with the movable arm that clamps to the work space.

I still dabble every once in a while in beading and jewelry design, and working with polymer clay... it's a lot of fun to make your own beads... oh, the fun, faux things one can make! Simulated jade, ivory, wood, various stones and designs, different finishes... it's really an interesting hobby!

My fingers and eyes are beginning to fail just enough to make it frustrating, and seem more like work... and that's why I step away from it for awhile now and again. It's a difficult way to make a living, but it IS a fun hobby!

o

It's 74 degrees and sunny where I am, and dawn breaks at around 6:30a right now and dusk is around 6:45p, so no, I'm not suffering from winter malaise.

But a month or two ago ...

I cannot abide cold days spent in the dark. Even the extremely brief winters here sometimes overwhelm me with depression during short winter days. I could never live north of where I currently reside.

o

Winter is a time for reading, never have time in good weather. I also spend time re- furbishing my Cub Cadet collection. I turn them into semi custom show tractors. Started collecting older huricane lanterns a while ago and they take some restoration. 6 aquariums need attention too. We put a cabin out in the back field last year so I go out and stay in that some times as a diversion, take my electronic book reader and a botttle of Evan Williams. And we just received a new reloader press that'll make about 5oo bullets per hour so thats gonna keep me busy for a while.Sitting around in winter can be bad for ya.

o

OMG it started for me during the second last week of January! I can't stand the dark anymore. Yesterday was a beautiful day. The sun was shining and when you walked outside you could almost smell that Spring was just around the corner. It was literally like a cloud had been lifted and everyone was in high spirits. This morning we woke up to yet another 15cm of snow. I'm done.

o

No, it seldom stays cold very long here, although we have had more than our share of gloomy, dreary damp days since the beginning of the year.

Today there is no denying spring--bulbs are up, forsythia is blooming, tulip trees bloomed two weeks ago, and most trees are budding out.

Winters are a good break from all of the yard work and outdoor maintenance duties I have during warm months, so a cold, dreary day with no place I have to go and no social obligations are a treat for me--it's an opportunity to turn on every lamp and nightlight in the house, light candles, and enjoy the views and silence with reading, playing the piano, or needlework. Sometimes I like to cook on those dreary days.

I've had a standing floor magnifying light for over fifteen years--it is great for intricate work.

o

I hate February. For a short month on the calendar it always seems too long for me. PacNW has short amount of daylight & lots of gray, wet days in the winter. Very depressing for some of us. I can,t wait for Spring. Days are starting to get longer & I'm seeing bulbs popping up. Can't wait for warm, sunny days.

o

Here in SC, February heralds the beginning of spring: already I've seen flowering tulip magnolias, hyacinth, daffodils, even roses. The sun now comes up at 6:45 a.m. a welcome sight, despite recent days of heavy rains and winds. I remember how depressed I used to get this time of year when I lived in Boston, and then later, in PA.

o

• Posted by RpR_ 3-4 (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 14:08

Posted by lily
"I love winter and dread the coming of spring. Spring is nice, but it's usually short-lived and goes in to the brutal horrible humid drought ridden summers which are common-place the last decade here in PA. I love cold crisp days and never complain, but i do my share when it's 95 and 100% humidity."------------------------Good Lord, hell has frozen over.]I am in agreement with Lily.

I love spring but as Lily said it is so short nowadays.
The smell of Lilacs and Peonies to me is pure heaven but it is followed by semi-tropical heat and humidity too often up hear.

If one could eliminate most of July and August, I would not miss it.

Back in '92 I was landscaping in an area where heat would have been extremely oppressive but that God blessed year the temps. never got higher than the seventies till Sept.
I was very, very, very pleased.

o

Lily you live at the wrong end of PA. I have not experienced more than a week in August that the humidity was high and temps never over 90 degrees all summer except last summer.

It is wonderful to sit outside in the summer when the sun goes down and evening temps are in the 70s. I had roses blooming for Thanksgiving the last couple of years when temps have been steadily in the upper 60s low 70s. Winter is only Jan - March.

o

Hell HAS frozen over. I agree with RpR!! . If July and August could be eliminated, I might like summer. If we could have the kinds of summers from my childhood, I'd be happy. Spring here last about 48 hours and then it's the heat and humidity and lack of adequate rainfall. I'm like Demi...I like the respite from all the watering and gardening chores. I remember much longer springs when I was younger. It doesn't even exist as a season here.

Marquest, I think the weather is different in our state. Your temps always seem cooler when I hear them. From here to Philadelphia is the sweat box region.

o

I think we will be experiencing our winter this Sunday when the temps go down to 50 degrees!

Spring Training started last week and I just planted some basil so it must be spring!

No rain here yet, but the rainy season is just around the corner.

o

Yes Lily your area is usually warmer but I thought the humidity was about the same. I guess that is higher too. Maybe you could buy a little summer house in my city. It is wonderful. Last year was the only time I had to run my air more than a few weeks. Most of the time my ceiling fans are good.

o

I love spring and summer, and the beauty of autumn... I don't even mind the heat of summer. It's the cold of winter I can no longer tolerate.

o

I could take an even 73 degrees all year now that I am enjoying my more mature years...

o

Jodie, the Ott lights can be a blessing or cause a lot of cursing. The ones that use the replacement bulbs found in stores like JoAnnes that have frequent 40% off sales coupons available are a good bet. The oddball lamps are infuriating and too expensive to fool with. I have Ott lamps that have burned 24/7 for three years + before the bulbs burned out. On the other hand the one that was supposed to work with a rechargeable battery was a total waste of time and money. The bulb lasted only a short time and I could get a replacement only on line at an exorbitant price and the battery feature lasted only 20 minutes before recharging was needed. The floor lamps seem to do well but I have only one style of those. They all make color realistic in this house that is all redwood walls. That is important to me.

o

I could take an even 73 degrees all year

Push that up to 80 or 85, and I'm with you!

I hate humidity too, but I'll take it over freezing any day.

I do agree about there not being a spring anymore and I don't like that. I love spring. I love the longer days, warming temps, tulips (one of my favorite flowers) and the anticipation of summer. We don't get that anymore. Goes from cold to hot within a few days, it seems.

o

One of the advertised features of the Ott light is the realism of color, which would be especially helpful when working with the smaller seed beads, like Delicas, and the vast array of color shades they come in. It would also be very helpful in matching or creating varying shades using polymer clay. If I were earning a living with my hobbies, I'd consider a better light system an investment.

I hadn't heard of any quality issues with Ott lights, though.

o

Posted by sleeplessinftwayne z4-5 IND (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 1, 13 at 8:00

Jodie, the Ott lights can be a blessing or cause a lot of cursing. The ones that use the replacement bulbs found in stores like JoAnnes that have frequent 40% off sales coupons available are a good bet. The oddball lamps are infuriating and too expensive to fool with. I have Ott lamps that have burned 24/7 for three years + before the bulbs burned out. On the other hand the one that was supposed to work with a rechargeable battery was a total waste of time and money. The bulb lasted only a short time and I could get a replacement only on line at an exorbitant price and the battery feature lasted only 20 minutes before recharging was needed. The floor lamps seem to do well but I have only one style of those. They all make color realistic in this house that is all redwood walls. That is important to me.

I gave an Ott light from Michaels to my daughter to take with her when she moved a few months ago--she designs her own needlework patterns and had a lot of time to stitch this winter. She said it is working well, but I tried one and much prefer my old one.

I have had it since the late nineties and have never replaced the bulb--a GE cool white circular bulb that surrounds the magnifying glass, which is on an adjustable arm. I am only recently using it again, as there were some years I didn't use it at all when I was building the house and a few years after that.

I would look up the brand, but it's not anywhere on it that I can see, and it's way too heavy for me to look under the base, which appears to be iron. Not only is the magnification feature great for needlework or other intricate work, but it's great for aid in getting out splinter or knots out of necklaces!

o

Every February I cut some branches from my black pussy willow shrub and put it on the windowsill in a vintage vase. I'm a little nervous for spring after Sandy came through; hard to tell if some of the less obvious damaged plants made it.

o

36 and very raw walking the dogs by the creek. Saw no evidence of spring. None, except an inch of Daffodils poking up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here