Return to the Hot Topics Forum

o
What did you "trip" on in your youth?

Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 5:27

And maybe you still do. Did you drop some acid, smoke some weed? As for me it was tobacco and alcohol as that was all that was available...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What did you "trip" on in your youth?

shoelaces

o

Cute, but 'fess up...

o

hey Im still tripping up on them today !
(yeah Id likely fess up here where my 'fan club' would likely tell my mother on me)

o

You are mature enough now to handle any repercussions...

o

you obviously havent met my mother !!! (good night )

o

Hmm, forgot about that angle... Lol!

o

What if I want to run for President some day? I can't be leaving this info in my digital footprint ...

o

Marching band. And it was way more fun than drugs! Some funny funny people. Always had a good time. Not that it wasn't hard work, it was. You can't be the best and not work hard. I have never taken an illegal substance, by choice. Not that I fault anyone. I just knew what could happen. Sister and brother went down that road. They're now recovering addicts.

o

I "experimented" with a lot of things in the day. Now I have to force myself to take a drink, even just to be sociable.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 9:16

My most mind expanding experience was to contemplate the unfolding mysteries of the universe.....I'm still addicted today. The long term effects are finding answers that create a cumulative growing list of even more questions. It's a trip that never ends :)

o

I remember the first time I tried Coke. It was way better than Pepsi.

o

You're not going to get the type of answers you probably anticipated, Tobr... the internet tends to retain information given, only to spew it later when it can be used against you.

With that said, I tripped on anything that would take me where I wanted to go...

o

I'll just say I enjoyed myself immensely.

o

I got high on Jesus.

o

You guys are nuts!

o

I tripped on girls.

Cathy
Rose Ann
Leslie
Kathleen
Sheila

There were more but those above were the best.

o

Not a thing.

Never had marijuana, and never had a drink until I was of legal age.

Even then, I can do without alcohol and seldom have a drink.

Never smoked--a most nasty, disgusting and gross habit which everyone in my family had.

Never had a beer and still won't.

No wonder I went into law enforcement.

The activity I indulged in was Banana Vanilla Cokes from the local hamburger stand.

This post was edited by demifloyd on Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 12:22

o

Sometimes you feel like a nut; sometimes you don't! ;-)

o

I don't remember. That's my story and I am sticking to it.

o

Interesting responses.

What's the half life on some of that stuff no one wants to admit to?

o

Nothing. Never have, never will. Had a sip of wine as a kid, which I spewed all over. Nasty taste. Never had any desire to smoke, my father was a smoker and it blew out my sinuses and immune system early on, can't be around it now at all, or I can't breath.

o

Never did heroin!
Tripped on my bell bottoms!

o

My digital footprint will be very boring. Even though I considered myself a full blown hippie with the long straight hair, the ripped jeans, burning the bra, marching against the war, working for the civil rights movement, loving the rock bands of the era ,and turning very liberal...I never smoked one cigarette, never had a beer, never took any drugs of any kind ,even marijuana. I was a health nut freak even back then.

o

I'll throw something out there: I also tripped on several Ted Nugent concerts back in the day, incl Amboy Dukes. I suspect the sonic concussions from those shows did some damage to his brain.

o

Some of my concerts were much more mundane. Beach Boys, Simon&Garfunkel, and Chicago. Still love them all. In fact the 60's was the best decade in music history, IMO. Now I don't even watch the Grammy's.

My daughter heard a song grandson downloaded and she could not believe the M-fing ,N words, and women bashing. He was made to delete and everything passes thru her now.

o

I would have never dated some of you prudes back then. :)

I was a Catholic school student K-12. That's all I'm saying.

o

Posted by brushworks Zone5-Ohio (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 16:35

I would have never dated some of you prudes back then. :)

SO were you the type of guy my dad warned me about?

o

In high school 64 to 68 we had Frank Zapa, the Nity gritty Dirt Band and others for school assembly in the auditorium. Then I was stationed in Monterey while in the service within walking distance of the fair grounds where they held the jazz festival and Jimi and Janis played with a lot of others. We would dead head six cars back to San Francisco for national rent a car and watch the concerts at Winterland then drive back in one car. That was 69 to 72 so there were a lot of bands playing there. Environment is an influence.

This post was edited by don_socal on Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 17:20

o

On just about everything that you could actually "trip" upon...

I actually discovered Garden Web years ago during a search for information on a "specific" plant species.

I had zero interest in depressants, stimulants or anything that was injectable. If you take enough of any of those to hallucinate you're most likely pretty near death also.

The only thing that I would have liked to have experienced was Sonoran Toad parotoid gland toxins. Dr. Andrew Weil described the effects as "making LSD seem like mother's milk" (and you don't have to harm the toad!).

I'm a little old to seriously consider these dalliances any longer.

Was that closer to what you were fishing for Tobr?

o

Think he wanted our stories to read like Allen Ginsburg on peyote.

o

i was sooo boring! grauated in 64 at the beginning hippies...no drugs and no alcohol, at least in hs...

was married at 18, so one partner...x and i did serve but with the hours i woked at att, i just didn't have time and always hated smoking...

one time i did get drunk was the day i threw him out and my mom and i attended a wedding and boy that champagne was flowing...hated the feeling so never did that again...

o

Boring was, and is, not in my vocabulary... you could say that I'm as cool now as a Grandma as I was as a teen. Prude is also a word that does not show up... it's not smart to buy the car without a damn good test drive... and that goes both ways. I'd say this has all contributed to my happiness as an adult, and with a like minded companion.

Let's just say... I won't die wondering about much...

o

Guess I was too busy with life , riding/drivin/training horses& ponies, hunting, fishing, motorcycles, etc and didnt have time for dope. I did smoke some weed in the service, hell, it was nearly free in Nam. Grew some and smokedsome ever since but not very much. Ya cant get a lot done when you sit around stoned. Life is too short to waqste a lot of time.

o

it's not smart to buy the car without a damn good test drive... and that goes both ways.

Ahhh....test drives....mmmmm...

uh...ahem. Sorry. Drifted off there.

:o)

o

Well... who wants to buy that "car" without a prior look-see, only to find out after the fact that they're tied to an incompatible lemon? Not I, said the cool Grandma! ;-)

Just use common sense and safety when "test driving"! ;-)

I've done a lot and lived a lot in my lifetime... and I don't regret a single moment. It's brought me to the place I'm at now, and that place is... Contentment.

Oh, sure... I have physical issues, like Lupus and other physical disabilities, but they certainly weren't caused by choices or personal responsibility issues. Lupus is hereditary, and I was a victim/passenger in a bad auto accident caused by the driver of the OTHER car involved. And I have to live with the results of choices someone else made.

But you can't let issues you have no control over ruin your day. You just have to roll with what comes your way. :-)

Trip? As long as I don't have to drive, I'm game!

o

What did "I trip" on?

No drugs, no alcohol, nothing...

Just my own two feet... From time to time. (I have big feet... for a girl ;)

Lynn

o

I smoked cigarettes for decades, it was most incredibly hard for me to quit, I wonder if it was unusually difficult.
I was convinced that if I started down the road of casual drugs or drinking alcohol every weekend at parties,. I would not be able to self regulate very well. I had the idea that I would be one of those who never could stop at one or two drinks - so despite serious pressure from a few friends through my late teens and twenties, I just didn't mess with alcohol or recreational drugs.

I didn't ( and don't) care what choices others made for themselves if they are harming no one.. But, I didn't trust myself to know when to stop so I decided not to start. To this day I believe it was a kind of an inner awareness and Im glad for my choices.
There is alcoholism in my husband's immediate family, his DNA father and grandfather, the father who raised him was a functional alcoholic.

DH made a choice in his early twenties simply not to drink and its very, very rare that he does ever have a single drink. He also doesn't care what others do- although he finds all drunk people ( especially women ) kind of disgusting whereas if they aren't mean drunks Im kind of amused by them as long as they aren't embarrassing themselves, I do hate to see that, its too sad.
DH did use some marijuana a few times while in Viet Nam but was uninterested in it when he came back home.

I have a drink or two maybe every year/ every other year. I get very sleepy and have to go to bed so Im not exactly the life of the party when I do have a drink. But I don't care if others do, or smoke a joint. If they behave badly while doing so, that's another thing entirely.

I loved David's reply, so clever - it made me actually laugh out loud!

o

I was a goody goody in my teens but my childhood - I had issues. I was addicted to vitamins (hey they contained sugar) and I remember filling the lid/cup to the mouthwash and pretending it was wine and drinking it when I was in the washroom. I am thinking I was 6-7 years old at the time. Oh yeah, baby aspirin also had to be hidden from me! Good times.

o

My family introduced me to Drambuie and hot buttered rum (with a stick of cinnamon) during the Holidays. It burned my throat - or was just too strong for my young taste buds. And there was the Swedish Glogg at Christmas with my family's friends.

Tried to drink beer with friends after work but it tasted like watered piss. I liked margarita's when I had Mexican food much later in life, but rarely ordered them. I got drunk once in Santa Barbara - actually at a party at Oxnard Shore. Occasionally now I will share a beer or glass of wine. I couldn't smoke, I had lousy lungs and I was so happy when California prevented smoking in clubs and other public places.

It was too much work to go on a bicycle ride with friends if I had anything to drink the night before.

When my mom was sick, and my sister and I were taking care of her, we used to re-fill her wine bottles with non-alcoholic wine- it helped keep the drama down, and I don't think she ever caught on.

I had a girlfriend, who gave me a hit of MDA, or MDMA, I'm not sure, it was so long ago, maybe 1970, which she probably stole from her father, a Psychiatrist and head of a medical institution... The effect was minimal.

Took LSD with a girlfriend, also in college - once, and I said: "never again".

I avoided all the other recreational drugs, although I had a good friend who grew magic mushrooms, and even wrote a book and drew the illustrations about how to grow them...I never was interested.

I was living in L.A. and going to a lot of clubs in the early 1980's when cocaine was popular, but I completely avoided it. Same with the crack epidemic in the Bay Area. But I knew about it. I was going to Glide Memorial Church at the time, and drugs and aids was the major topic for years...

I love the old folks songs on the subject though- which I took as cautionary tales:

"Went to bed last night singing a song, woke up this morning and my nose was gone"

And Woody's song "V.D. city",came to mind during the AIDS epidemic:

"Once young and once healthy and happy;
Now a whirlpool of raving insane;
Lost here in this wild V.D. city
Where nobody knows you by name."

o

At the very first Earth Day a fellow in a stove pipe hat threw hands full of SUNSHINE (LSD) into the crowd in front of the Damrosch band shell it was interesting colorful a little unnerving but no big deal.None of the stuff I feared it could be. Apparently I'm allergic to marijuana ehh & I hate the smell & the experience was annoying rather than blissful.
Now coffee was a difficult drug to quit terrible headaches & irritability. If drunk in the afternoon it would keep me up all night. Somehow because it's legal people dismiss it's potent effects. the same as caffeinated soda.. (Coffee is a mood altering substance)
In a sociology of addiction course I once took we were read a letter written by a doctor describing the underclass & it's mania in association with this substance.
Mescaline was rather pleasant! Psylocibin a one time experience.

I know kids use Robatussin to get hihg (geeze that stuff is nasty I can't take anything with it's active ingredients)
Dextromethorphan which produced profound dissociative feelings in me.

o

If you could smoke it, drink it, ior snort it, I did it. I was pretty wild as a kid, and how I ever survived, I have no idea. Because along with all those vices, I had one other drug I was into-- speed. Not like black beauties or white cross kind of speed-- I mean mat the gas pedal, and not let up till the next red light. I had a 74 Trans Am that pushed well over 500 hp, and I pushed it from the time I got behind the wheel, till the time I got out of the car.

o

"In what way does coffee alter the mood, other than preventing a daily morning homicide against the first one who looks at me kinda funny?" ....she asked as she contemplated the idea that of course caffeine is one drug she forgot to mention she abuses on a daily basis.

o

Cool, we had cars like that, my dad had a Barracuda with a hemi and later, we had a 440 plymouth GTX with a Holley carburetor- it was stock. Sometimes he would let me drive it.

He used to say that fast cars were safer because you could get out of situations if you needed to. But I wasn't a motor head- and really, neither was he. We also had a pretty fast boat we'd use for water skiing.

o

actually at a party at Oxnard Shore

Someone knows Oxnard Shores!?!

After a walk on the beach there's not a lot to do there in the evenings so drinking is forgiven.

What did you "trip" on in your youth?

Daydreaming, reading, then music and the beach, then drawing and painting, poets and older men.

Smoking - tobacco or pot - is like taking a blow torch to my tonsils. I am one of those people who can honestly say I didn't inhale pot as it was too painful. The contact high worked well.

Psylocibin a one time experience.

For me as well. The quality of light was extraordinary, magical and palpable, and I didn't want the experience to become common place.

Under the influence I had a number of paintings showed to me by my artist neighbor. With my normal perception I had found the works vaguely unpleasant; with altered perception I wanted to run as far as possible from both the paintings and the painter. The man was advertising his psychological problems on canvas. I had managed to suppress my internal warning signal in my infatuation with an older European painter.

o

I was a very responsible, high achiever. Never got in one bit of trouble but I did try marijuana, smoking and alcohol in my late teens and early 20's. Not to any great degree but did some "experimenting".

I still enjoy a glass of wine...or two, a good martini , an ice cold beer on a hot day and a really well made Margarita....on the rocks with a splash of Grand Marnier.

o

A rockery, tore the ligaments in my left ankle & spent 8 weeks with a hard cast & crutches. As the first born, I was the over-achiever & didn't start breaking the rules until I was in college. Then I did have a good time!

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 10:30

The whole drug conversation always amuses me .... we were pot smokers and some in my family were oh so proper and anti-drug, while popping their valiums and diet pills (speed).

I hung out on Coventry ... and still live less than a mile from there, but it is a totally different scene than it was back in the day.

My drug of choice today is coffee, and you will have to take it out of my "cold dead hand" before I surrender it :)

o

I was an adrenaline junkie. I liked the rush of speed, danger, excitement, challenges etc.

o

Yesterday, I took a sit-down, 3 hour survey by the Dept of Health and Human Services on health and alcohol use. They gave me a check for $45 at the beginning, and if I finished it, another one.

Over a thousand questions. They hit all the bases you could think of with possible effects of drinking alcohol. Then took a saliva swab for DNA, I assume looking for genetic markers for people who abuse / don't abuse alcohol as per the responses to the questionnaire. I'm pretty sure some of the questions, nobody was going to answer truthfully if they'd actually done it. "did you ever intentionally set fire to something to destroy it? Why, sure, I burned down the school.

I was getting annoyed towards the end of the interview.

o

and a really well made Margarita....on the rocks with a splash of Grand Marnier.

Will have to try that. Have a small bottle of it sitting on the counter because of some other drink concoction.

o

Chocolate anyone, subtle but chock full of mood changing substances!

o

Hey, Ohiomom, I was in Coventry Village around 1969. A group of friends got permission from our parents to drive there (from Erie, Pa.) to see the new Fellini film, Satyricon- (we were in high school) at the Heights Art theater. I remember all the head shops, and particularly the 'record revolution' store that had huge speakers blasting out John Mayall's "The Turning Point". I went right in and asked who it was and bought the album.

Nancy, I used to paddle 6 person Hawaiian outrigger war canoes from the Ventura 'keys' approx 1979- the Oxnard Shores party was part of that group.

o

Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 11:30

Alexr Record Revolution is still there as well as "Sunshine Headquarters" :) The Heights Art Theater is no longer ( provided a link for the history of the theater you might enjoy ). Revolution and Mac Books are still there .... as old businesses left new ones opened, now they mostly serve the yuppies and college kids ... but you still see a lot of us old timer hippies :)

Here is a link that might be useful: source

o

If coffee is suggested as a drug, that is one I will claim but oddly enough didn't start drinking it till I was 30. I more than make up for it now though.

o

Speaking of Mopars and 440s, I had a 1968 Plymouth GTX with a 440 Commando when I was a teenager.

I traded a cherry Chrysler 300, also equipped with a 440 plus a speed boat and dirt bike for the GTX.

Talk about trippin', some of my dates parents just about flipped out when I picked their daughters up in one of my muscle cars.

o

I was off coffee for years I started drinking it again curiously enough at 12 step meetings where we used to make big pots of it.
Scientists have been using some old hallucinogens for psychiatric purposes.

o

Chocolate and coffee are not drugs... they're necessities of life!

I drink an ungodly amount of coffee... and there are very few items made of chocolate I don't like, though moderation is key as sugar is always a part of the equation.

I don't drink, except for the odd occasion perhaps annually or bi-annually. I'd rather see marijuana legalized and alcohol regulated further as it's much more dangerous to the human condition.

Speaking of... this could be an area where our government would save millions by dropping the expensive and quite ridiculous war on pot, and concentrating efforts on those chemicals and narcotics that are truly harmful to society. But that's a subject for another thread... perhaps one on balancing the national and state's budgets.

o

I hung out on Coventry ...

Yeah, well, I know your type. :)

o

Coffee and chocolate.

Now we're talking!

As long as it's dark chocolate. None of that wimpy milk chocolate. And don't get me started on white chocolate. Yuck!

o

Agree with Jill..Coffee and DARK chocolate. Milk and white chocolate aren't in the same ballgame. ..Coffee with Bailey's is the best.

Even though I never did pot, I want it legalized and think it's insane that it isn't. Pot is safer than booze and waaaaay safer than cigarettes. Never got the hypocrisy. Free the police to catch REAL criminals.

o

They say a glass of red wine is beneficial I wish I could tolerate alcohol. I only eat chocolate if it is wrapped around a nut.

Only tea will pass these lips. Coffee makes me ill.

o

Oh my gosh Don! We were likley in Monterey at the same time.

o

Shouldn't smoke pot though, eating it or taking it in pill form or even drinking it?

But smoking it --- very damaging to the lungs to fill them with smoke of any kind, probably a real carcinogenic.

Perhaps the drug itself will not harm or reduce the value of the life of the person who uses it - perhaps it is less harmful than the effects of alcohol, but please no one fool themselves into thinking that smoking it isn't very harmful to the lungs.

Because my doctor once told me that with every drug that is necessary for a person to take, there is a biological tradeoff - I do often wonder what the trade off of say, mild or moderate use of marijuana would be.
I dont even know what is considered mild or moderate use. People who have a single average sized glass of wine with dinner only are considered mild drinkers, would using once a night be the same thing?

Is a single drag from marijuana considered a single dose or is it the whole toke? I know less than nothing, I really did ignore the whole process as it went on around me at parties in other peoples homes. We didn't throw parties at our own home, only had people over in small batches and our friends easily accepted that any drugs were to be left in their car, not to be brought into the house.

We did of course serve alcohol but it was time to wrap it up when someone had too much. We didn't want our things to be broken or our children ever disturbed by loud people who drank too much as our children slept.

o

• Posted by pamven z5neastindiana (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 15:40

Did it all with no regrets.....except booze...hated the high.

o

The hypocrisy is tied up in ethics and avarice, Lily. Always has been.

American chocolate is as watered down as its beer... give me the good stuff from elsewhere around the globe!

o

Rob, if you came into the bar on the north side of Freemont Street near Palo Verde I may have done a pastel portrait of you. Used to hang out there after hours during the week.

o

Was there a place called Nepenthe in Monterey?

o

I've been eating Li Lac's chocolates for about 40 years now & I love them. They opened in 1923 & were on Christopher Street till about 10 years ago. Years ago it was great to go in when they were pouring out chocolate on the marble tables the smell was overwhelming. Even their milk chocolate is substantial enough for me & I've been a dark chocolate lover since I was a kid.

POTO RICO coffee roasters sells a great dark chocolate covered Espresso Beans mnnnn!

Here is a link that might be useful: LI Lac

o

Cool, we had cars like that, my dad had a Barracuda with a hemi and later, we had a 440 plymouth GTX with a Holley carburetor- it was stock. Sometimes he would let me drive it.

The very first time I came to Maine, it was to visit my sister in law and her husband, who was big into restoring old Mopars. he had several but when we came up that time, he'd just finished restoring a 68 GTX with a 440 and a long tube cross ram dual quad (wildest looking critter I've ever seen-- those who know anything about Mopar motors will know what I'm talking about). Long story short, I had to show off the T/A, so we went for a ride, and it performed pretty well-- it had just enough to pull the front wheels off the ground from a holeshot, but not to hold em up. Still alot more power than most street rods, so I was pretty proud of what I'd built. Well, then we went back and got the GTX. Keeping in mind that he'd run the car, but hadn't really pushed it-- he'd just finished putting it together. So anyway-- got the car out on the road right in front if his house, and he revved it up to about 5K rpms, and then just sidestepped the clutch. All we saw was sky. :-) I'll never forget that. Literally the wildest animal I''ve ever taken for a ride.

To this day, this guy, even though he's my ex's family, he's more like a brother than an ex-brother in law, and there's still alot of friendly competition between us, only now it's boats. :-)

o

I think my Dodge Dart Swinger (with a slant-6 engine) was a Mopar.

o

Mylab, there have been some studies done that don't find pot smoke as carcinogenic as cigarettes but I admit to not knowing much more than that or remember who/what reported this. I just remember reading it.

Jill, I'm with you -- only dark chocolate!! and a good cup of coffee. :)

Labrea :) Li Lac and Porto Rico --- two of my fav's and sadly (and happily) where I spent/spend too much time.

o

I think my Dodge Dart Swinger (with a slant-6 engine) was a Mopar.

Yep. :-) Those old slant 6's were unbelievable motors. You couldn't kill em!

o

Thanks for the link ohiomom! I remember that Coventry seemed like a wonderful and 'alive' neighborhood...perhaps because I was so young. I also remember driving to
Blossom Music Center and Kent State Summer Theater- near Akron I think. We felt so free and everything was a discovery.

The other 'trip' I remember - one of my friends was accepted at Columbia University and our moms let us fly alone to NYC to check it out. We had an English teacher (who often went to see plays on Broadway) and he gave us the names to some cheap downtown hotels! Two high school boys roaming around alone in Greenwich Village, and Morningside Heights (basically Harlem)- what an impression that made on us..

Markjames, I wish I had been more of a mopar guy... unfortunately I was more of a math and William Blake kinda guy. Still, I would accompany my father to watch dirt track races on weekends- (I kinda hated the noise, and the gossip of drivers all swapping wives with each other).

I think we had a Cuda with a 426 hemi, and later a GTX 440 with a 6 barrel carb-it might have been a 'Road Runner'. There was something my father didn't like about the hemi...but I've forgotten.

What I remember, though I couldn't find it on the internet, is that the GTX (red)had a fiberglass black hood, with a center scoop, and the hood was held on with cotter pins- and it came that way from Detroit. Both those cars were terribly fast - from a stop light- you would be thrown back into your seat- I was amazed when he let me drive them around. One of those cars we (the family) drove up to Toronto and the Severn River, on a vacation. Lots of fun.

o

There was something my father didn't like about the hemi...but I've forgotten.

Valves tended to "float", blowing the motor, when you'd get on it, especially at high RPM's.

o

I absolutely love chocolate covered coffee beans! There's an Amish grocery not too far away that makes and sells them at a reasonable price.

o

It's probably not a good idea in general to inhale combusted plant matter into the lungs, but a recent long-term study has not found a link between moderate marijuana smoking and breathing problems.

WebMD - Marijuana Smoking Not Linked to Chronic Breathing Problems

One of the largest and longest studies ever to look at the effect of marijuana smoking on lung health finds that pot smoking doesn’t appear to cause chronic breathing trouble...
Researchers estimated that lung capacity would stay slightly elevated even if a person had smoked as much as a joint a day for seven years, or two to three joints a day for three years.

Also, unlike tobacco smoke which causes genetic damage to cells that can lead to cancer, cannabis smoke appears to have tumor inhibiting properties.

Science Daily - Marijuana Cuts Lung Cancer Tumor Growth In Half, Study Shows

o

Thanks Bill. I'm glad you lived through your 'fast car' youth. My next door buddy back then, Johnny, always drove too fast and eventually flipped his Mustang- and survived. I don't know if it's related, but about a month later he had his Thyroid removed because he was so hyper and his medicine just wasn't calming hims down. Of course he loved the fact that he was so crazy and so hyper. But I wouldn't get in the car with him, and I actually pulled him out of a frozen lake once when he took his ice boat sailing on thin ice... but that's another story.

o

J girl, Nepenthe, is in Big Sur, South of Monterey. It's still there.

o

What did I trip on? Oh maybe shooting the neighbors' dog or cats. It went from bb guns to shotguns to semis to full blown machine guns....it was fun! Plus I was protecting my family and faithfully following our Bill of Rights! I'm so good and patriotic.

(Thought I'd segue a little bit here.)

-Ron-

o

Ron--Talk about kindred spirits... wanna see where I post from?

Photobucket

o

Yikes! I'd be ashamed to show the little hole I post from. From your posting, I'd mistake Maine for Afghanistan.

-Ron-

o

Someone posted that on Facebook. I wasn't sure if I should drool, or "defriend" them. :-)

o

Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 22:16

My first car was a chevy corvair, I bartered a bedroom set for it. My second car was a ford fairlane that I bought from a salvage yard for $25, it had one gear and no reverse.

o

It's fun and interesting hearing what people had as first cars--brings back memories!

My first car was a car my dad bought from his younger half brother, who was just a little older than me.

I was seventeen before I was allowed to obtain my driver's license (although fifteen was the legal age) and that's when Dad bought the car from his half brother.

It was a metallic medium blue with white hardtop 1967 GTO with a cam. I drove it 3/4 mile to school and back for senior year, then the week of graduation a lady with a car load of old people stopped at a stop sign as I was passing on the highway, as she was supposed to do, and at the last minute just pulled out in front of me anyway. It messed up the passenger front end, Dad sold the car to a boy I had dated, and that was that. The driver was ticketed for running the stop sign and hitting me and had the nerve to come to the house later that night and stood at the door and said "what you gonna do about my whiplash?" I walked in with my Milwaukee Brace and bruises and Dad said, "What are you going to do about my daughter?" They ran to the car. Again, that was that.

It about killed many of the boys in town that drove fast cars that I wouldn't get past 50 in that car and would sit at the one traffic light and shake with that cam, but never race them. Beautiful car, I sure wish I had it.

Next car was six years later when I purchased it on my own.

o

It's difficult to "trip" when you spend the date time on the back seat of a parked car.

There wasn't enough money around to spend on anything else.

o

That T/A wasn't my first car. My first was a 68 Olds Delta 88. ANOTHER one with a 455. :-) THis one wasn't fast at all, though. I dressed it out with black and white shag carpeting, it had an under dash 8 track with an FM converter Velour roof liner-- all I needed was the fuzzy dice on the mirror and the disco mirror ball!! Had plenty of room in the back seat (it was even a 4 door, so it was easy to get in and out of it), and plenty of room in the trunk for my drums!

o

Well, I've been a Doors fan for a very long time, Even visited ole Jim's grave in Paris...far out man.

;D

o

I had a real diversified taste in music. I was into classical (Shubert and Beethovin were my favorites), and stage music (LOVED Glenn Miller, Boots Randolph, and Gene Kruppa and Buddy Rich were my idols). Then I started getting into rock, R&B, heavy metal, the works. My favorite bands were Chicago, GFR (I think I had every album either band had up to 75), Deep Purple, Zepp, Pink Floyd, and then I got into some of the softer stuff, too-- Loggins and Messina, Seals and Crofts, James Taylor..... and then I left for the Navy, and headed down south. :-) Then it was all about Skynard, Outlaws, Blackfoot, Toby Beau, Marshall Tucker, and of course, CDB! Once I got out, (notice I went right PAST Disco!) it was about Foreigner, Kansas, Van Halen, 38 Special, Journey, etc.. Now it's about all the music I USED to listen to, while everybody else is listening to people screaming into microphones. :-)

o

Me too, Bill. The old music is the only thing I listen to today. What passes for current music leaves a lot to be desired, IMO.

o

Some of today's alt music is pretty good, imo and the pop rock music is comparable to the best of the past to, I think.

I never did nor probably will ever will appreciate rap though.

o

Even so, Terrene, marijuana does not require smoking to be of use. One can consume it, vaporize it, ingest it in pill form, etc... though smoking does seem to be the most popular method.

o

When we're on a jobsite, and my son turns on alternative rock on the radio, more often than not, he gets the old Blues Brothers line--

"Hey-- that ain't no Hank Williams song!"

o

I love all kinds of music except country. Love classical, real oldies like the big band sounds but mostly rock. I get very nostalgia for the music of the 60's and 70's and listen to the oldies station in the car. Hate rap. I do love Josh Grobin, Michael Buble, and Adele. I was surprised when my granddaughter had a Jimi Hendrick poster in her dorm room. She likes the Grateful Dead and others of that time.

Makes me sad to read almost every day that one of the old artists have died. A Temptation died this week. And YET Mick rocks like he did 40 years ago. As for Keith, he looked 70 when he was 30.

o

Lily,
Michael Buble always reminds me of a lounge lizard singer. I like the music but it just makes me think I should be listening to him in a juke joint.

I listen to everything because I love music.

Opera is something I learned to enjoy during grade school. One of those "parents send 25 a week and the field trip was to the Opera for music class".

R&B anything from the old Motown days.

Rap was a learn to listen to as long as there is not women bashing. JayZ, Eminem’s because I wanted to know what my daughter was listening.

Country Tim McGraw, Black Sheldon, Willie Nelson I can listen to him all night.

Jazz, New Age you name it I have CDs or have download on my Ipod. I listen according to my mood.

My first car was a Karmann Ghia convertible it was my graduation present. My parents thought if we needed to go somewhere we either used the family car or walked. We each got our first car when we graduated HS.

Bill that is a big monitor but I would think it would be good for designing your tile layout. Am I right?

o

Music? Anything but country!

o

Marquest-- All my layout gets done on site. Too many variables, and no two jobs get laid out the same way, except that they ALL get laid out so as to look best from the most focal point of view. That aside, that's not really my room. :-) That rifle just above the monitor is the one I was talking about a few weeks ago that just purchasing it would bring a visit from ATF (Barrett .50 cal sniper rifle)

o

hey Bill, dont get all huffy and puffy. We've put together a few 5os and not got a visit from anybody. Douglas barrel on 2 of em, guess they would be called proto types. 1 is about worthless, another is promising. some work is required. wont be soon tho.

lily, give country an honset go, it aint so bad, I am a rocker but dig alot of country.

o

FF-- A good friend of mine is the southeast rep for Sig Sauer. Last year, he bought a Barrett. It took two weeks and he had two ATF agents at his door asking what he wanted with a weapon like that. He explained who he was, and that he does alot of business on military bases across the southeast, and on many occasions, gets into competitions with his customers, and he wanted to be able to practice with the weapon in between his trips.

o

Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 23:35

I have a soft spot in my heart for Johnny, Waylon, Willie and Kris :)

No heavy metal/hard rock .... never was a Stones fan.

o

well Bill, I am happy they do spot checks. Its a good thing. My bro has yet to fire his. Its 4 years old and a virgin.

o

On enough stuff to not think druggie stories are cool or interesting anymore.

As for music, I like all types, without any "excepts". All of it gets into your soul one way or another imo.

o

I guess I'm in the minority by having a thing for European subcompacts - the people's wagon - and disliking Detroit muscle cars.

One boyfriend had an Austin-Healey from the '50s - a hand-me-down from his father. Another had an MG.

o

Bill this gave me a chuckle.....I did not see the guns. I did not read all the posts I just saw your comment. I had to go back up and look at the pic. All I saw was the monitor. What can I say "I have a one track mind". Okay, I thought you worked out a design to show the customer.

o

Re: country. I rescind part of that. I do love Willie. Saw him at a State Fair years ago. Some of it isn't too bad, but on the whole, no. As a child for some odd reason I loved opera and still do. But classic rock I could listen to 24/7.

Marquest..Buble DOES look and sound like a lounge singer of the Sinatra era. Grobin is my favorite. My friend is a good friend with his mother, and said he is the nicest guy, so down to earth. .

o

This was my 1st car, an English 1953 Ford Zephyr....bought it with a friend for $25 each. We shared it one week about, in turns. Luckily we dated 2 girls who were best friends, so Saturday nights we shared.(The car, that is!) Wish I still had it.

As for the OP's original question, ain't going there!

o

You all work too hard at it.

How about walks in the rain, sitting on the front porch, wrapped in a quilt, during a wild thunderstorm, playing a game of speed chess with someone who was a good match, singing the descants in the Hallelujah Chorus in a good choir, doing a really good painting at 3am after doing a bit of self hypnosis while listening to some good jazz, maneuvering a car through a multi-car wreck without injury (I've had cops congratulate me on four separate occasions), driving fast cars at ridiculous speeds(legally) and doing it well, driving down Monarch Pass with no brakes, watching water spouts form on Lake Erie and seeing a tornado born, teaching someone a complex skill they had never tried well enough they later became a professional and many other things. I've never felt the need to use chemicals to get a high. There are entirely too many things to get my spirits flying without that kind of help.

Oh, how about deer walking up to you while you are working in the garden just to check out what you planted? Or even better, showing an autistic child how to sit quietly enough so a wild deer would come up close enough to get a treat from her hand?

o

Work too hard at what? I would assume we all have individual likes and dislikes, differing taste in things, differing hobbies, and each prefer to spend our time pursuing those things we like in our spare time.

o

I think we had a Cuda with a 426 hemi, and later a GTX 440 with a 6 barrel carb-it might have been a 'Road Runner'. There was something my father didn't like about the hemi...but I've forgotten.

What I remember, though I couldn't find it on the internet, is that the GTX (red)had a fiberglass black hood, with a center scoop, and the hood was held on with cotter pins- and it came that way from Detroit. Both those cars were terribly fast - from a stop light- you would be thrown back into your seat- I was amazed when he let me drive them around. One of those cars we (the family) drove up to Toronto and the Severn River, on a vacation. Lots of fun.

I owned a 1969 Roadunner 440 Six Pack that matches what you described.

It was the only Mopar I've ever seen with that style of factory hood.

When I bought the car I thought some boy racer type added the the hood, scoop, pins and lanyards.

I owned a few different GTX models. All but 1 had non functioning side vent hoods although I'm not sure if they were original.

All these big block cars would pin you to the seat.

This post was edited by markjames on Fri, Mar 1, 13 at 11:35

o

Posted by sleeplessinftwayne z4-5 IND (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 1, 13 at 10:45

You all work too hard at it.

How about walks in the rain, sitting on the front porch, wrapped in a quilt, during a wild thunderstorm, playing a game of speed chess with someone who was a good match, singing the descants in the Hallelujah Chorus in a good choir, doing a really good painting at 3am after doing a bit of self hypnosis while listening to some good jazz, maneuvering a car through a multi-car wreck without injury (I've had cops congratulate me on four separate occasions), driving fast cars at ridiculous speeds(legally) and doing it well, driving down Monarch Pass with no brakes, watching water spouts form on Lake Erie and seeing a tornado born, teaching someone a complex skill they had never tried well enough they later became a professional and many other things. I've never felt the need to use chemicals to get a high. There are entirely too many things to get my spirits flying without that kind of help.

Oh, how about deer walking up to you while you are working in the garden just to check out what you planted? Or even better, showing an autistic child how to sit quietly enough so a wild deer would come up close enough to get a treat from her hand?

Amen, Sleepless.

Who needs to alter their minds with substances with all of these options, and more available?

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 1, 13 at 13:26

"I guess I'm in the minority by having a thing for European subcompacts - the people's wagon"

First car, 1976 VW Rabbit Wolfsburg Edition. Fast, agile car, very light... also, I could fit everything I owned at the time in it... and did. That car attended close to 100 or so Dead shows with me up and down the East coast and out to Colorado...

Currently, 1989, BMW E30, lowered, massive air intake, ansa sport exhaust and a stock 1963 Porsche 356 S90, matching numbers, unmolested.

Always have enjoyed carving.

o

Why do you presume that people who enjoy a little mind or body alteration from the smoking or fermenting of a plant don't also enjoy a natural high as well?

o

Terrene and Jodi I completely agree with you two. I read those two comments and wondered at the leap.

Decided it came from judgment based upon an incorrect assumption about an ability/ inability to fully enjoy a wide variety of experiences. I've never messed with any drug but that assumption never occurred to me.

My first car was an ancient volkswagon bug with a pull back rag sunroof. Loved that thing, had it nearly three years - drove it into the ground. I had another, nearly new bug about five years later for a few years but it just wasn't the same- it was just a car that got me from point A to point B - whereas my old, beat up initial bug was my buddy.

o

Posted by terrene 5b MA (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 1, 13 at 13:29

Why do you presume that people who enjoy a little mind or body alteration from the smoking or fermenting of a plant don't also enjoy a natural high as well?

I didn't presume that at all.

My thought was, why isn't a natural high from life experiences enough?

o

Who said it wasnt enough Demi?

Its like asking someone why they would bother with a great champagne over a really great serving of butterscotch pot de creme. The question begs that one must choose which is better when one might enjoy both equally, depending upon the day or occasion.

Or, why try for a boy - shouldn't the wonderful experience of having a girl should be enough?

Different experiences from different sources, both can enjoyable enough.

o

Youth?

My first car was aJeep CJ5. What fun to drive around without a roof or doors, but with a seatbelt on. Good thing you are invincible when you are young. I currently drive a 1991 VW GTI. I got it new and it still has fewer than 75,000 miles.

Getting back to the op. Here's an article I recently read about Al Hubbard, aka "Captain Trips". He had an interesting life.

Here is a link that might be useful: captain trips

o

Posted by mylab123 z5NW (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 1, 13 at 16:47

Who said it wasnt enough Demi?

Its like asking someone why they would bother with a great champagne over a really great serving of butterscotch pot de creme. The question begs that one must choose which is better when one might enjoy both equally, depending upon the day or occasion.

Or, why try for a boy - shouldn't the wonderful experience of having a girl should be enough?

Different experiences from different sources, both can enjoyable enough.

I suppose to me, the difference is just living life and enjoying it versus deliberately ingesting a substance which alters the mind.

Also, why one would deliberately commit a crime to do so.

Whatever.

o

Fri, Mar 1, 13 at 20:38

The title of the OP was and is "what did you trip on in your youth"

Was filling out a job application the other day and one of the questions on the assessment test was "did you ever lie to your parents when you were a child"? Well yeah children (youth) lie and do other dumb things.

Course we can't all be born virtuous and above it all ... most of us are just human with all the human failings that come with it.

o

Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 1, 13 at 20:38

The title of the OP was and is "what did you trip on in your youth"

Was filling out a job application the other day and one of the questions on the assessment test was "did you ever lie to your parents when you were a child"? Well yeah children (youth) lie and do other dumb things.

Good Grief.

o

I didn't express any negative assertions about your choices. If you think my statement that you tried too hard was some sort of accusation, you probably need something to calm you down. I don't claim to be some sort of paragon because I did not indulge in the chemical and herbal culture that gained so much ground when I was a teen. I simply prefer to be my own person, warts and all rather than turn my self and my relationships with others over to a chemical.

I smoke tobacco, I will have a drink occasionally but usually it is more for the Tonic water than the gin. Getting high just doesn't interest me. Why in the world would you think that is a problem? I got more of a lift showing that child how to attract the attention of the deer than I ever got from alcohol and I doubt that drugs would be particularly enticing either. I remember every second of her response even after all these years.Somehow I never thought of that as a hobby.

o

Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 7:51

Getting high doesn't interest me now in my adulthood, which is not what we were discussing. We were talking about YOUTH folks ... you know that time decades ago (for most of us).

By the way Tobacco is a drug ... and they sell Tonic water without Gin in it. Alcohol is a drug.

Got some prescription meds laying around?

Check the stats on which country consumes the most prescription drugs and dies (overdoses/misuse) every year.

Course the folks who take all the "legal" drugs don't commit crimes they just get a script from their "dope man", which you would refer to as Doctor.

o

• Posted by ronf z4 MN (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 10:53

What an interesting thread.

Another adrenaline junkie here. Motorcycles, sky diving, rock climbing...pretty wild stuff for a farm boy from Minnesota.

Ron

o

What's wrong with enjoying a little of both at the same time, maybe? Enjoy partaking of your favorite "item of choice", then take a nice walk and enjoy your surroundings... perhaps it serves to heighten the experience all the more.

People enjoy their wine and then walk after dinner... why does it have to be wine? I don't like wine.

There's no reason one should have to choose between those things one enjoys.

o

Sleepless, you try much too hard.

o

"I suppose to me, the difference is just living life and enjoying it versus deliberately ingesting a substance which alters the mind.

Also, why one would deliberately commit a crime to do so.

Whatever."

Lighten up, Demi ;-)

I get it; we're reminiscing, okay? Even so, no one here is going to be babysitting for your grandkids tonight, right?

"deliberately ingesting" The way I see it, we are all deliberatelly ingesting every time we take part in a group discussion.

But that's just me.

o

Whatever."

Lighten up, Demi ;-)

I get it; we're reminiscing, okay? Even so, no one here is going to be babysitting for your grandkids tonight, right?

Me? Lighten up?

I'm too young for grandchildren--my daughters aren't married, anyway.

Seriously--I grew up scared to death of doing anything wrong--so that's why I mentioned it. You couldn't have PAID me to do something illegal, even if I was tempted (which I wasn't). I would have been scared of being arrested, embarrassing myself or my family, or ruining my reputation or chances at employment.

I had to pass a very thorough FBI background check--I shudder to think what would have happened if it had even been rumored that I had smoked marijuana or otherwise broken laws.

As I said whatever--I'm not uptight, just a little surprised it wasn't that big a deal to so many. It certainly would have been to me.

o

10-4 Eleanor. See you later; sailing the ocean blue tomorrow. ;-D

o

Have a great day, Elvis!

o

Demi, challenging the law isn't always a bad thing, without which we would still have things like slavery. The reasons for the Federal government making THC a schedule I controlled substance are spurious, since under this schedule "the drug or other substance has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States". It's quite clear that an increasing number of states disagree and that Cannabis has been determined to have multiple therapeutic uses.

Besides people "trip" on all kinds of legal things that aren't chemicals like money, shopping, religion, gambling, sex, speed, all manner of fetishes, etc. Then you have legal substances like tobacco, caffeine, sugar, and food, that people don't necessarily think of as mind-altering drugs, but they are stimulating dopamine in the brain's reward center so they are changing the brain chemistry.

Couple minor edits.

This post was edited by terrene on Sun, Mar 3, 13 at 12:00

o

Precisely, Terrene!

o

What a hippy dippy thread. What did I "trip" on in my youth? Several bad decisions, many of which have hurt me throughout my life.
Youth is when you don't have what you need (experience maturity and advice) and think you don't need it. In my case, I may have wanted it but it just wasn't there for me.

Back to the topic of tripping and drugs...yes, marijuana should be de-criminalized, at least IMO. I would limit it though and not allow mass production and distribution, only home production and use and probably not allow smoking weed anywhere in public. That would save a lot of money in law enforcement, prosecution and detention. People who smoke marijuana become passive and introspective. Actually there are several hyper, anally retentive conservatives here who don't want marijuana but need it, kind of a corollary to what I stated about younger people.

The "war against drugs" from the Mexican border to the Canadian border has been something of a failure, no? Let's not give up on the entire things but maybe try to be less ideological, closed minded/conservative in approaching the problem. Drugs like Coke and Heroine that hype people up, are highly addictive, and often result in accidents and crime should remain illegal with tough penalties for importing that crap.

kwoods:
Post a pic of the 356 S90 if you can do that anonymously.

This post was edited by heri_cles on Sun, Mar 3, 13 at 8:00

o

Posted by terrene 5b MA (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 3, 13 at 4:42

Demi, challenging the law isn't always a bad thing, without which we would still have things like slavery. The reasons for the Federal government making THC a schedule I illegal substance are spurious, since under this schedule "the drug or other substance has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States". It's quite clear that an increasing number of states disagree and that Cannabis has been determined to have multiple therapeutic uses.

Besides people "trip" on all kinds of legal things that aren't chemicals like money, shopping, gambling, sex, speed, all manner of fetishes, etc. Then you have legal substances like tobacco, caffeine, sugar, and food, that people don't necessarily think of as mind-altering drugs, but they are stimulating dopamine in the brain's reward center

I understand your points, Terrene, and you make some good ones.

But none of what you said that negates my wondering why people felt a need to commit criminal acts in order to feel good, when there are so many legal ways to feel good that don't involve a criminal act and ingesting chemicals into your body for no other reason other than "recreation", and that don't jeopardize your education or career goals.

I realize not everyone cared about a college record (particularly if one did not attend college) or a security clearance, or cared about securing or keeping any type of employment in which an arrest for drug possession, use or distribution would or could cause them to lose that job or their professional reputation.

Society has contingents (usually I am among them) that preach about the evils of ingesting sugar, processed foods, and chemicals in food. The fact that some of these same people have and continue to ingest illegal drugs that are known to cause harm--for fun or relaxation, does not make much sense to me--it diminishes the effectiveness of any of their arguments in my view.

In my view, those that preach one thing and do another is at worst hypocritical, (actually, at worst illegal) and at best, not logical.

As to whether marijuana should be legalized--that's another topic. However, years ago it was not legal in the manner in which most people were using it.

You mentioned slavery and abolishing the laws about slavery

How many more laws should people just decide aren't fair and they should break them anyway? Is that the kind of society we want? Why not work to change the laws first?
(Edited: I am NOT referring to slavery--this was a particularly unique issue, along with civil rights, and civil disobedience was necessary in my opinion)

Should people not pay their federal taxes because they know the money is going to be wasted and only about half of the people in this country are carrying the financial burden?

Should people not pay their federal taxes because they know other people don't?

I don't think so.

JMO.

This post was edited by demifloyd on Sun, Mar 3, 13 at 9:28

o

LOL, Ohiomom. Have you ever tried to order Tonic water without the gin in a restaurant? Try it sometime.

Of course I have prescriptions that I take when necessary. I drink the Tonic without gin at home because it stops the muscle spasms I get from Fibromyalgia. It has gotten to be too frustrating to match the prescription for quinine to the product the pharmacy has this month and tonic costs about the same amount and works faster.

Why would you think I am anti prescription because I don't use recreational drugs? I even take opiates if absolutely necessary. I just don't use them for recreation.

o

I once said on this forum that I truly believe I have something in common with every single person in this world.

Demi, I was JUST like you in my earlier years. So much like you that it's pretty eerie. I was afraid of doing anything wrong. The better I did in everthing (school, music lessons, other interests) and the more perfect I became, the more accepted I would be by others. Follow the rules, don't break laws, dress perfectly, have the perfectly decorated home, have the right amount of money, volunteer in the right ways and places, never depend on others for anything - if I did all that, I truly believed that I would be accepted by and liked by others. I NEEDED TO BE THE HELPER. I DID NOT NEED HELP. Needing help was a sign of weakness, of not being perfect. The utmost of fears for me was needing help of any kind. I was absolutely inflexible and would not consider that there was any way but my way for both me and those around me to live.

What I had no clue about, though, is that my body didn't process substances like yours does. And, while I had absolutely no conscious desire to abuse substances because it was wrong and because perfect people didn't go to excess, every single thing I ingested, legal and not, caused me to lose all rational thinking about stopping. i had no clue that I was different because I did not want to be different. Making the decision to ingest in the first place became my way of dealing with a very slowly unconscious and then glaringly conscious self-realization that I wasn't perfect and self-contained. Using, even with knowingly miserable outcomes, was better than dealing with not being perfect, with being wrong.

I've related as you described teaching your daughters about inexpensive shampoos (I was once that child being taught by very financially comfortable yet once struggling parents), I've related when you've shared about donating clothes to women getting their lives back in order (I had those beautiful clothes to donate, too). I've hung onto the past and past relationships because who else would accept me if they knew my inner warts and bumps and imperfections.

Over the last 16 years, I've learned that I truly do need others and had better let go of a totally inflexible inability to be wrong - ergo not perfect -if I want any degree of inner peace and happiness for the rest of my life.

Coincident with my own life path, And as my beliefs started changing, my political beliefs started changing. I'm no longer a rigid Conservative, not even close.

Tripping - I've done enough and it's not associated with fond memories for me.

o

That point you mentioned about your family being one reason why you never tried it Demi, that would have been one of my reasons also. Not so much for fear of embarrassing them but for fear that they would have been so greatly disappointed in me and have thought less of me for it.
However that was not an overpowering reason for me not to, its unlikely that my family would have ever found out had I decided that I didn't want them to know.
It really was something I believed would be a terrible choice for me, I was just positive about that, I still believe that to be true.

I do get your point though, a lot of your points were ones I would have agreed to be valid. Probably still do, only now to a much, much lesser degree regarding marijuana. With that particular drug, the importance and probably the validity of that law is so miniscule now that I can consider it to be almost a blue law. Unless a great amount is being accumulated to be sold or sold to minors etc. All THAT still counts big time imo.

o

Yes, mylab, aside from the legality and just not wanting to, the overriding reason would have been the same--because I would not ever want to disappoint my family or anyone, or myself. That doesn't mean I haven't made mistakes and that I still don't make them every day. But usually those mistakes don't make the local paper!

I used to have recurring nightmares about getting married.
Why, I don't know--my parents had a true "in love" marriage complete with "the look," winking, holding hands and baby talk until the night before my Dad died. So it wasn't that I thought
marriage was bad--but I was terrified of getting married one day and then getting divorced. When I did get married, my DH held my hand the entire time the judge was speaking because I was shaking so bad. I knew it was the right thing but I was petrified of making a mistake.

So, JMC, I appreciate your post, I think you do understand a lot of why I think the way I do. I will tell you that God blesses us sometimes in older age, because I have come to be more tolerant and understand that not everyone DOES have the ability to discern situations, see clearly, or see past an immediate situation far into the future.

Just like I used to eat like a truck driver, eat Reese's peanut butter cups and Cokes for snacks, never exercise, and weighed 110 pounds and thought that people that were overweight were certainly gluttons because they just HAD to be eating way more than I did to be that overweight.

Hahaha joke was on me, I eat very healthy, small amounts, exercise at least six hours a week and still can't lose some pounds I'd like to that entering my 50s put on me.

So I am humbled and more understanding, and also have had to understand that yes--sometimes we alone are not enough.
That is a very difficult lesson for independent people who were expected to be perfect, held up as an example by family and community. ( I was in trouble if there was a B on my report card and dreaded going home. I had darned well better get a "Superior" rating at music festival because there would be serious questions and more practice time if I got an "Excellent.")

As noted before, we don't all have the same backgrounds--thank goodness the world would not work if everyone did the same things and thought the same.

Learning that we sometimes do need help (that has been very difficult since DH died but most people don't offer because they know what I will say--I'll do it myself, thank you) and learning that none of us is perfect, that we do all make mistakes in ONE WAY or another, and that the important part is that we help one another not to make mistakes, and forgive them when they do if needed, is important.

I agree that marijuana in small amounts should probably be legalized, and I admire people who are willing to take chances and do things outside the box.

We should all question whether complying with society's expectations and rules are the right thing to do---certainly.

I have in fact, committed an egregious act in the last year.
I took in bottle of water in my purse to a movie theatre and drank it while there instead of paying $5.50 for one at the theatre.

And yes, I felt very very guilty. ;)

Thanks for the posts, this has been a nice thread.

o

I did not use drugs in my youth. I didn't drink much either. Hated beer (still do). Didn't acquire taste for wine until I was an adult. Smoked cigarettes very briefly until my mom found out and said if I didn't quit, she would tell my dad. I quit. It was easy since I never liked it anyway. Was only doing it to "be cool". How stupid was that?

When I grew up and started thinking about having kids, I always wondered exactly why I didn't do drugs when in high school. Anything I could have wanted was easily accessible. But I wasn't interested even though all my friends experimented with different drugs. I wanted to know what stopped me because I wanted my kids to not do it either.

I still really do not know the answer. I guess it was part fear of disappointing my parents and part fear of becoming addicted. But I'm really still to this day not really sure why I didn't experiment more.

o

Sun, Mar 3, 13 at 11:26

Sleepless I don't drink alcohol, that also got left behind with my youth, and you could not give me a prescription drug. Now the ultimate "mind altering" highly addictive "legal" drug IMO is "tobacco". That one I battled off and on over the years.

o

No drugs, alcohol of cigarettes here either not out of goodness (self preservation)!

o

Looking at the history of marijuana... specifically why and how it came to be illegal... versus its many uses and benefits, not to mention its recreational qualities, it's definitely a law that greed begat and one that needs to be stricken from the books.

No one has mentioned allowing minors to have access. That would go without saying. Unless, of course, we're talking about medicine... some recent studies show that marijuana, as a pill or in a form not smokable, without THC, is effective in treating epilepsy and other disorders.

I'd be very much in favor of relegating alcohol and tobacco to the realm of stricter regulation as health hazards without benefit, considering the dangers and statistics already attached. Greed has quite the hold on these industries, as well... regardless of the numerous deaths and health hazards attached. That, apparently, does not matter.

I believe I've mentioned a time or two that we would rather find out our adult children were smoking pot than drinking or smoking cigarettes, or involved in any other drug usage.

Why on earth would I be the least bit embarrassed by something I firmly believe in? Wouldn't I, instead, stand in opposition to any law that didn't make sense, and wasn't in the best interest of the public?

And why on earth would I care what the neighbors thought? Surely, I'm not so spineless that I allow others to dictate my beliefs and actions? I should say not!

The laws surrounding, the general knowledge imparted to the public by officials to date, and the amount of funding and resources wasted to eradicate what is a very useful, benign plant in this country defy all logic.

If anything, I'd be embarrassed at being caught breaking a law I didn't agree with and believed was wrong to begin with!

And still, none of this indicates that I smoke pot, either with any regularity, or at all. But should I want to, there should not be a law telling me otherwise. It makes no rational sense that marijuana is still illegal, and still such a taboo in the eyes of so much of the public.

o

Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.
Harvey Fierstein

o

Demi, I am generally a great believer in law and order. However not for bad laws, and for decades the prohibition of Cannabis has been driven by racism, propaganda, bad science, political posturing and corporate profiteering. From what I understand, there were certain powerful corporate interests, such as the timber industry, that were behind it's prohibition, and that likely remains true today.

Hemp has for centuries if not millenia been an incredibly valuable resource for the human species, and it played a critical role in this country's formation from the colonial days up through the WWII. IMO this is one plant that has tremendous potential to create many useful products as well as beneficial pharmaceuticals.

There are people suffering with extremely debilitating illnesses that are helped by this plant. The laws that deny suffering people and a suffering planet the benefits of all reasonable study, propagation and commercial use of this plant are not good laws.

o

Sun, Mar 3, 13 at 12:47

Greed and racism Jodi ...

"In 1930, a new division in the Treasury Department was established" the Federal Bureau of Narcotics" and Harry J. Anslinger was named director. This, if anything, marked the beginning of the all-out war against marijuana.

Harry Anslinger got some additional help from William Randolf Hearst, owner of a huge chain of newspapers. Hearst had lots of reasons to help. First, he hated Mexicans. Second, he had invested heavily in the timber industry to support his newspaper chain and didn’t want to see the development of hemp paper in competition. Third, he had lost 800,000 acres of timberland to Pancho Villa, so he hated Mexicans. Fourth, telling lurid lies about Mexicans (and the devil marijuana weed causing violence) sold newspapers, making him rich"

Some quotes from Aslinger:

“There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos, and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz, and swing, result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers, and any others.”

“…the primary reason to outlaw marijuana is its effect on the degenerate races.”

“Marijuana is an addictive drug which produces in its users insanity, criminality, and death.”

“Reefer makes darkies think they’re as good as white men.”

“Marihuana leads to pacifism and communist brainwashing”

“You smoke a joint and you’re likely to kill your brother.”

“Marijuana is the most violence-causing drug in the history of mankind.”

Here is a link that might be useful: source of course

o

ROFL, Ohiomom! How very educational, eh?!

This is exactly what I mean... "Reefer Madness" was NOT a documentary, and the reasons marijuana was made illegal make no rational sense, unless one is only interested in stopping its culture because it interferes with their livelihood... as in greed... and aligns with their personal prejudices.

Reading such quotes from the past now gives us every reason to realize how ridiculous the entire sham was... and still is. The USA completely wastes millions of taxpayer dollars fighting a war against what amounts to a taboo insinuated by the government, for the benefit of their cronies and bigotry.

It's a little past time to put an end to the ignorance regarding marijuana.

o

Nothing.

Honest truth.

I have never smoked anything, never been drunk, no "recreational" narcotics of any kind.

Never had a desire for it or curiosity about it.

o

I got a hold of a bottle of absinthe when I was 21, & I haven't put it down since. As far as everything else goes, no smoking of any kind, never took pills, never played with needles, or snorted anything. Just alcohol...but mainly absinthe. Like everything else, it is a expensive habit.

o

very boring..no drugs and no booze...graduated from hollywood hi in 1964....my small group of friends didn't do anything either..the biggest mistake several of us did, were to get married after graduation...and of those early weddings at least 3-4 of us were divorced in 4 years...

o

I've always wanted to try absinthe... never got the opportunity.

o

There are a LOT of myths about absinthe. 99% of them are false. It has a higher alcohol content than & contains thujone, which all adds to the hearsay. It does make you tingle, & thats not from the alcohol. Even in a tiny amount, it will makes your lips & tongue tingle like they are about to go numb. Everyone I know who has tried it, say it makes them tingle. In large quanity, such as enough to get you drunk, your whole body will get that tingly feeling. I guess this is why some say it is an aphrodesiac hahahaha

o

Enjoyed partying while in college in Miami.........Never did drugs but my favorite "trippin and speed" was done in my 1970 GTO, candy apple red convertible. I ordered it special and it had a 370-horse Ram Air IV 400 with four on the floor. I didn't get the Judge rear spoiler but I did get the racing stripes. That car got me into MORE trouble.........and I don't mean with speeding tickets.............of course I did race a LEO in an unmarked car once when the light changed.........after sitting and flirting with him. Next thing I know there was a siren and blue light, or were they red in those days. OOOOPS. I pulled over, he got out, came to my window and told me not to worry, that he just wanted to see what I had under my hood.........so I opened the hood and he checked it out.......beat a speeding ticket. Then there was the time I drove it down into Mexico and the Federales (sp) literally took it apart looking for drugs when I crossed back into the US. Didn't help that I had hair half way down my back and was dressed in the style of that era. Lots of fun an memories in that car...........

Demi, I had a "67" Lemans convertible before my GTO. Wish I still had either or both cars.

Sleepless, loved your post. So true and well written.

Demi""""" I took in bottle of water in my purse to a movie theatre and drank it while there instead of paying $5.50 for one at the theatre. "

LOL Demi

o

Love speed... as in going fast! I confess... I was an adrenalin junkie! Still am! Just don't care to do the driving, myself, anymore.

In better days, I loved to drive my '88 IROC, red with t-tops and the best sound system money could buy! Top notch tires kept that thing stuck to the road no matter how fast you took a turn or wove through slower moving traffic! Took a lot of chances in it, but never got a ticket... not one. Never even scratched it! I loved that car!

And... there's nothing quite like the feeling of doing 180 mph on a V-Max with nitro, your kidneys pressing up against your back, the telephone poles appearing to melt as you pass them...

And then there are roller coasters... never met one I didn't like!

Fast cars, fast bikes, loud music!

I doubt I'll get a chance to try absinthe... but I will probably get a shot at the best purple lightening wild grapes can make! ;-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here