Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Some furriner wins best actor!

Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 27, 12 at 6:19

Is this fair when we have Clooney and Pitt waiting up front to jump up and accept the Oscar. Besides, I thought we weren't that happy with the French...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Some furriner wins best actor!

Jean Dujardin deserved the award. Why are you such a snob to the arts?

o

The arts?

o

when was the award renamed "Best Actor Who Was Born and Raised in the US?"

by the way, tobr, which of the nominated performances did you actually see? any?

o
RE:me furriner wins best actor!

The last great movie was "Yankee Doodle Dandy" when this country had no doubts about its role in the world...

o
RE: er wins best actor!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zADohZPoWNA

o

The Last Picture Show.

o

The Artist was fun a nice simple silent film using a very old formula & it still worked!
Annoyed Michael Fassbender wasn't nominated for an award he turned in a great performance in Shame

o

The Academy is like any other show on TV it is not meant to reflect what the majority of the "ticket buyer" consider good cinema. I watch it to see the presenters, performance and the pretty people.

If you would like to read the entire article..there is a link below.

"The Majority Of Oscar Voters Are Old, White Guys"

"Well this makes last year's best picture win for The King's Speech a little less special considering it was about a bunch of old, white guys.

The academy is aware it is a problem and is trying to fix it. Some members say the academy is very similar to the hiring patterns in Hollywood which is tough on women and minorities both on-screen and off. Clooney recently told Entertainment Weekly: "There's this strange thing that's happened over the last 25 or 30 years where there's this decision being made that women aren't able to carry the box office.

....... the academy has been criticized for years especially considering that the first woman didn't win the Oscar for best director until 2010 and in the past 83 years of Oscars, less than 4% of the acting awards have been bestowed on African Americans. It tried to make a shift in its membership policy in 2004 but it didn't seem to help that much.........

It will be interesting to see who comes home with the gold at the Oscars telecast this Sunday night as this has been a very big year for women in film, due mostly to the impact of Bridesmaids and The Help. According to Hollywood Reporter writer David Friendly the Bridesmaids effect has resulted in all the major film studios asking "Where's our Bridesmaids?!" Friendly says the attention the film is getting is putting female comedy writers like Elizabeth Meriwether (No Strings Attached, New Girl), Dana Fox (What Happens In Vegas, Couples Retreat) and Lorene Scafaria (Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist) on all the right people's radar. The Help, based on Kathryn Stockett's best-selling novel, which also featured four women on a poster pulled in $25.5 million thanks to many women (74% of ticket buyers) , mostly over the age 0f 35, and more men than expected (26%) during its opening weekend. Hopefully we will see a few surprises when the show airs on Sunday night.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old White Men Making Decisions

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 27, 12 at 9:06

I read it (on one cup of coffee) as "furrier" LOL

o

And best supporting actor was a Canadian!!

o

And I was under the false impression that folks at HT didn't watch TV.

o

Mon, Feb 27, 12 at 10:11

I don't watch these shows Brush and couldn't tell you who won what or who they are (like the music awards) ... and movies ?? Last movie I saw at a theatre was with my kids "Super Girl" in a movie theatre that has since been torn down.

LOL

o
RE: Some furriner wins best actor!//

Mom, we cut cable! Roku has moved in.

o
What is ...

Mon, Feb 27, 12 at 10:25

Roku ?

o

Some kind of streaming entertainment device. One more thing to fall asleep in the middle of... kind of like most things on cable.

o

It's good to have voting friends I get to see their copies of almost everything! I slept through most of it

o
RE: sleepy

It's good to have voting friends I get to see their copies of almost everything! I slept through most of it

o

I wanted to see the Artist but could not interest anyone to go with me. I saw most of the other nominated movies and wanted Clooney. Guess I'll check Redbox for the The Artist in a few weeks.

o

it was sweet simple!

o

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 27, 12 at 12:45

Lily, only one I saw in the theater was Midnight in Paris. Loved it! Dh rented Moneyball from Redbox. It was sooooo slooooow. Waiting for all the others to be released on DVD.

o

I think I'll skip Moneyball although I like baseball. Others have said not to bother. I also wanted to see Hugo but thought it was a movie geared for kids, so that's on my list as well to rent. The Woody Allen movie didn't come to my theatre, so that one will be rented as well.

As much as like watching in the comfort of my house, our cinema center is so close , I could walk there and I love movies on the big screen. My love of movies goes way back in my childhood ,and never a week went by that I didn't see at least one movie. I do think my movie-love gene passed to my GD who will graduate in May with a degree on film and wants to head to Hollywood to produce. She's already made a small film in Arizona sponsored by her university which was quite good. .

o

I fell asleep during Moneyball & I love baseball! I liked Midnight in Paris a lot but Edd can't stand Owen Wilson or Woody Allen so he suffered through it. Bridesmaids was a hoot!
The only ones I didn't see but want to are Beginners & Hugo!

o

I can't handle the boring stuff... I like action, a good set of stunts and car chases, seamless CGI, excellent effects, some good old fashioned asskicking... preferably with some spies and a good plot... or something... I also like cartoons, my fav is Japanese anime'...

Never watch the awards...

Last night I watched Hangover II for the second time, and laughed my ass off!

o

I am the only person in America who didn't like Bridesmaids, and in fact thought all the toilet humor distasteful and juvenile. I love Kristin Wiig and Mellisa M as well, just hated the movie and didn't think it should have been in the best movie category.

o

Take heart Ricardo, Adam Sandler, representing all that is great in America has racked up a record 11 nominations at the Razzies.

Here is a link that might be useful: actor? nah!

o

What kind of movies do I like? Think of exactly the opposite of what Jodi likes and you have it figured out! ;)

I would rather have needles nailed into my eyes before being forced to watch "The Hangover" anything.

Haven't seen a single contender this year, *very* unusual for me, usually I have seen at least a couple.

I did read "The Help" though - wonderful, wonderful book.
I wanted to read it before I see it, not so sure I'm interested in seeing it anymore. That is the trouble with reading it before seeing it, too often it can't be as good. But not always - sometimes in a few cases, the movie is even better than the book. (for an example, think: "Empire of the Sun" - to me one of the *perfect* movies in every way)

Please, no car chases, no movies filled with fab special effects without a fab plot which almost never occurs at the same time, no asskicking unless ab necessary to the plot. All - bores me to sleep, I mean that quite literally! ;)

I did think that "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" was very good but it's one of the few I've had a chance to see at a theater this year. If they make the other two books keeping the female and male star, I will pay to see them at the theater, too.

It had a little asskicking in it! ;)

o

Mon, Feb 27, 12 at 17:05

Dh just finished reading Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. He couldn't put it down. Course he's that way with a lot of books.

Didn't see Bridesmaids and won't. Don't care for sophomoric humor. And really can't stand Kristin Wiig. Hate it when she's in skits on SNL.

Forgot The Help. We rented it a couple months ago. It was good. I never read the book, so can't compare.

o

I'd stick needles in my eyes before I'd see an Adam Sandler movie. I saw previews for Jack and Jill and thought ..who pays to see this crap?

o

mylab, I'm with you.

No car chases and other brainless crap. And I'd rather dig my eyes out with a rusty spoon than watch "Hangover" anything.

I do watch an amount of violence though since I love watching historical shows of many types and they usually involve at least a battle scene or swordplay, something along those lines.

I did watch 300 but realized part way through that it was brainless crap. However, I admit with a mix of shame and lust, that I continued watching for the sheer eyecandy.

o

Mylab, I read The Help and then saw the movie.
The acting was very good in the movie. I was not disappointed. I thought the movie was just as good, perhaps even a little better.
I'm with the rest of you who can't stand action movies.

o

I'll watch just about anything, but I don't do violent and I don't do vampire.

I read the Help and didn't want to go to the movie because I didn't think the book could be improved on, but now I think I might try to see it after all.

o

I also read The Help and like you, jerzee, skipped the movie for the same reason. I'm not going to see it, though. My first encounter with the story will do me just fine!

o

I think the twilight krap in both book and movie form is just middle school/ early high school brainless junk food with really no redeeming value at all, but REALLY enjoyed Anne Rice's "Interview with a vampire" and even more, "The Witching Hour" about the Mayfair witches.

Which sounds the same, I know but I swear we are talking about two very different "vampire" ideas and two very, very different authors. If this also qualifies as also middle school/early high school brainless junk food with no redeeming value, then I would like a second helping, please! ;)

Loved those books, both so much - a few of the following Vampire Lestat follow on books were good as was maybe one following the Mayfair witches but most of the rest of her books was just more krap ;)

But I did love them so much that about every seven years, I do a re-read, can almost smell the fragrant air, feel the humidity, see the mold growing up the sides of the houses in the Garden District *ROTFL*

Really, they are great vampire books for grown ups. Didn't so much care for the movie starring Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise though - they did a good enough job but you can't make a decent movie out of a Anne Rice book imho. The descriptive details are the thing, you can't create/capture it all on film, only in your head.

I will have to rent "the help" after all then JZ- Mr. Mylab has to go out of town for a week later next month, I plan on watching a bunch of movies he would rather stick needles in his eye than be tortured over and "The Help" woudl certainly qualify ;)

I could really relate to that book, the Dr's wife who lived across the street who had "a maid" who had also cleaned/raised the Dr. from the time he was an infant - and his wife "had to keep her on" because her husband insisted.

They took the city bus, walked a good mile or more from the drop off from the main road down the long street to our neighborhood, come rain or shine or especially high heat/humidity.

That maid came twice a week the other days another much younger woman came who did what the Dr's wife called the "real cleaning". This maid would roll her eyes in disgust when the Dr's wife had stuff to say behind her back but in the same room. She knew I could see her do it, it always made me nervous.

They had a toilet and sink located right off the kitchen, for the maid's use only. Every afternoon you would see the black women in white uniforms walking down that street around the same time to catch the city bus. They always walked very tiredly.

Mr. Mylab has become hard to please (loved "tattoo" also, though) but to just veg out, he enjoys some of what Jodi and her husband likes, minus the hangover movie. We both sat through the first one, rather he watched, I fell asleep and then he told me what I didn't miss when I woke back up.

I also detest "chick fliks" too. Barf bag, please, I outgrew them in my 20's.

Unless most of the old Merchant /Ivory films qualify. Which they shouldn't but maybe do too, unless too few chick's can sit through them in entirety, which I suspect to be a true statement.

And then... they don't qualify at all. ;)

o

I haven't yet seen "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", but plan to as soon as I can. It looks pretty good.

I despise horror flicks, chick flicks, and most of the movies that seem to get the good reviews.

A few I've seen recently that I've enjoyed include "Cowboys & Aliens", "Drive", "The Mechanic", "Tower Heist", "Colombiana", "Rio", "Rum Diaries", ... and those types of movies. Oh, and the latest in the "Twilight" series was awesome!

I can't stand slow moving tear jerkers, and I find very little comedy in some of the movies billed as funny. I'm just not into the artsy drama thing, I guess.

I choose what I watch based on who's in it, and what little bit of info is given regarding the plot. If it's not what I expected, it's easy to push a few remote buttons, or read a book.

I'm waiting for the announcement of the next James Bond movie... I'm a huge fan... huge.

As far as television, my husband usually watches some of the daytime crap while I'm working, and the tv is always on for background noise, anyway. At night, we normally watch Cartoon Network, and I like shows such as Family Guy, The Venture Brothers, Bleach, FoolyCooly, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell... that sort of thing... most are Japanese in origin.

I just can't sit through award shows, or things like "Dancing With the Stars"... ugh. I like action, adventure, and that sort of thing.

o

I have never watched but one Dancing with the Stars. They weren't stars though, they were faded aways, that was maybe the second season.

Watched a few American Idols, then bored out.

Just loved the show "So you think you can dance" with already trained, incrediby talanted young dancers in all the different genre's who get a chance to make a living at what they love if they win (and get exposure if they dont) and watched that but the last two seasons have turned me off, so boring. I am not sure I watched last year's, I don't recall it at all, I was recovering though so I might have watched a couple of shows and then lost interest in it.

I did love the choreographer Mia Michaels, when she quit the show about three years ago I think it lost it's heart and I lost my interest. If it's still on I might give it another try this year, in hopes it finds it's center again.

I like the Biography Channel, some of the history channel and all, I mean ALL of the Real Housewives franchise. Trashy? oh yeah. Obscene behavior? You betcha. Cheesy, cheesy money and lifestyles? Endless tons of it.

And I watch, mesmerized by the individual behavior of each set of wives, individually and as a group and by all groups - just mesmerized!

Hooked on that trash, love it all, DVR every single episode so I can skip the commercials! :)

My husband HATES it that I watch them, just hates it.

So I watch my DVRed episodes when he isn't home. ;)

o

IMO, The movie The Help was even better than the book. I was happy at least the supporting role went to the movie. I was hoping the best actress one would as well. I forget her name but she was excellent. . Really liked The Descendants and the Driver. I don't mind violence but hate corny comedies. I must have no sense of humor.

o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zADohZPoWNA

Sing everybody, sing...

o

Hubby doesn't want his daughter to watch the Twilight movies or even read the books. We picked up the first couple Twilight movies to see what the fuss was about.

He doesn't think a lead female character who curls up, goes catatonic, and tries killing herself after her boyfriend leaves is a good role model for teen girls.

Girls are fed enough of the emo cwap, they don't need one as a heroine.

o

I liked the Help favorite TV show is Shameless unreal family & not all that far off from a few I knew growing up

o

We watched Shameless for awhile, it was excellent. We never seem to stick to any series though, I'm not sure why.

Ham, I watched the first Twilight to see what all the fuss was about with the young girls and walked away feeling exactly as your husband did.

It is the most angst ridden, shallow and surface "love" (based on nothing at all but lust!) junk and I'm really surprised that young teens buy into this sort of stuff these modern days - I guess some things never change and young girls wanting to believe in a perfect in every way men who will share mutually and unconditional love, no matter what, unto death and who will take care of them in the manner in which they wish to become accustomed to even though the whole world! is against them (the world being against them is sorta vital for the drama) - all that silliness is still one of those dreamy wishes young girls still dream about.

It's a shame.

You certainly don't see young boys all dreamy about taking on the burden of a needy, clinging, problematic and emotional Sleeping Beauty/ Cinderella with unrealistic expectations of him, unrealistic expectations of his undying (and ever growing love) - and to be forever united against the world!

Boys are smarter than to be all dreamy about taking on THAT disturbed burden.

They want the interesting and vital Sleeping Beauty who wants to take care of herself very well, is educated and has goals set that she keeps meeting for her future career successes in life.

Just like him.

Good for your hubby!! A great modern father for a young woman who doesn't need to dream about being saved because she is going to make sure she doesn't fall and just in case she does, she will know how to save herownself!

o

Good for your hubby!! A great modern father for a young woman

He is, that's for sure. He's ex-military with no qualms about doing his own laundry and dishes, believes his daughter can do just as much as his son and thinks her best role model is a character like Hermoine from the Harry Potter films. Smartest character in class as well as the one with the most common sense. Kicks butt as well as any boy and doesn't need rescuing.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Tue, Feb 28, 12 at 22:07

I haven't yet seen "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", but plan to as soon as I can. It looks pretty good.

Dh saw it offshore last week. He said if he hadn't read the book it would have been hard to follow.

o

We didn't have a hard time at all Natal, but we haven't read the book and maybe if we do, we will discover important details that weren't shown in the movie.

We thought the movie was excellent, I love Daniel Craig as an interesting actor and the wonderful young actress(Rooney Mara is her name) was *perfection* in her role in the movie. Totally believable as a "I'll take you DOWN" kind of brilliant but very disturbed, very strong and very sensitive, terribly abused young woman.

The look on her face at the ending of the movie just broke my heart and dh's too, unusual for a reaction like that for him over a movie.

It's beautifully set up for two and three. Gotta keep the same two main actors or it will be ruined for me.

o

Found those Twilight films tedious...teen & tween soap operas! EDD likes all the spooky shows Lost Girl (has a sense of humor! Supernatural again a sense of humor & pokes fun at itself for Edd & I Sam & Dean are easy on the eye. Vampire Diaries (what garbage Edd loves it)
American Horror (ohhh nasty & naughty also has a sense of humor with some good performances by good actors) Jessica Lange is a pip!

o

To me, it's just entertainment... it doesn't need to be thought provoking or move me to tears, tugging on my heartstrings. I just want to relax, and exit real life for a little fun and fantasy for an hour or so... usually 90 minutes or thereabouts.

I know it's not real... I know it's about as honest as the nightly news... but I want to be entertained, or laugh, or exclaim "wow!"... or something.

I am glad actors and the crews that put all this entertainment together are rewarded and noticed for their efforts... it's hard work, too. I think some people have the impression that it's easy... but I'm not so sure I'd want that kind of schedule, and forget about the notoriety!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here