Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Obama's 'valentine' rejected!

Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 14, 12 at 6:25

His budget was scoffed at by Congress and it had some nice "chocolate" in it. Surely on Hearts Day there could be some love shown, but surely it won't be. Oh, well I am sending kisses to all of the sweethearts at HT...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Obama's 'valentine' rejected!

3.8 trillion. The largest in history. I would imagine this budget will go down about like his last years budget. The vote in the senate was 97 to 0 against it.

Happy Valentines Day Richard.

o

Obama's budget increaees spending by .2%. Mandatory payments to senior citizens, in the form of social security and medicare, combined with Medicaid, increase by almost 9%. mandatory is defined bylaw, not by any president.

Cut entitlements. period.

o

Remember his first Valentine?

"today I'm pledging to cut the deficit we inherited in half by the end of my first term in office. This will not be easy. It will require us to make difficult decisions and face challenges we've long neglected. But I refuse to leave our children with a debt that they cannot repay - and that means taking responsibility right now, in this administration, for getting our spending under control."

Now, I know that it's not that easy to rein in a massive deficit. I'm also smart enough not to promise that I will.

So, if you don't mean it, don't send out a valentine!

Good day folks~

In Mr. Lew (Pinocchio) we must trust. Just look at how successful he has been (at Wall Street) and receiving $900,000 bonus after Citi bailout. :)

o

He was not expecting an obstructionist congress.

o

LOL...like when? If you notice my post...it says senate defeated his last one 97 to 0. Obstructionist senate as well?

o

Mess what about the 9% increase in entitlements? What should he do?

o
RE:@@@@@@ Obama's 'valentine' rejected!

That should have read Mrs.........apologies.

o
/////RE: Obama's 'valentine' rejected!

Did you really expect him to address entitlement reform? They are draining Social Security as we speak, and seem hell bent on continuing.

o

I love the word reform it sounds so .....dirty!

o

Republican griping about Obama's budget would seem more genuine if their leading Presidential candidates' own plans and the Congressional GOP plan (Ryan Plan) didn't actually blow the deficit worse than Obama's from what - tax cuts for the rich. Does ANYONE actually believe doubling down on Bush's tax giveaways to the wealthiest among us is the path to solvency?

o

Mandatory payments to senior citizens, in the form of social security

IS NOT AN ENTITLEMENT!!!!! It's bought and paid for by the recipient! The only entitlement associated with Social Security is its use as a slush fund by Congress!!

o
Entitled doesn't mean you're entitled.

ENTITLEMENT.

In, politics, it doesn't mean what it sounds like, Bill. Go look at the the definition sometime.

Hay

o
The Greek Solution

Spend, baby, spend!!!

One way or another, it will end. Guaranteed.

(Just think of all those jobs created when you burn down your buildings. The Kennesian/"Progressive"/Occupy solution.)

"ATHENS-Greece was plunging deeper into recession at the close of last year, showing the devastation of the country's economy even before new austerity plans are implemented in the months ahead.

Greece's gross domestic product contracted by an annual rate of 7% when adjusted for inflation, according to preliminary data reported by the Greek government statistics office Tuesday. The dire number was far worse than forecasts...

The deepening of Greece's economic decline, now in its fifth year,...

Under the agreement, Greece will slash the minimum wage in the private sector by 22%, abolish 15,000 public-sector jobs this year...(That would be equivalent to 450,000 jobs in the USA---Hay)

With nearly one in two of those aged between 15 and 24 without a job in November, Greece's unemployment rate soared to 20.9% compared with an 18.2% rate just a month earlier. More than one million Greeks are now without jobs."

This is just one of the ways it can end. Thing is, Greeks just might be lucky. There are worse ways.

Hay

o

kt, if every taxpayer in America sent their paycheck straight to Washington, it wouldn't make a dent in this deficit. You can whine all you want about the rich not paying enough taxes, but it's simply a smokescreen for the class warfare crowd. Unless something is done to stop the runaway spending, more and more will sink into poverty and the deficit will continue to rise.

o

And when Bush, who inherited a budget surplus, cut massive amounts of revenue through tax cuts while starting two wars that each cost more than any war in history, along with a huge give away to the pharmaceutical industry with the borrowed money prescription drug benefit, have nothing to do with it.

I'll tell you what. Return the tax rates to where they were prior to the Bush disaster, and then people will be far more likely to swallow cuts in their benefits.

Not cut taxes for millionaires even further, and expect the rest of the country to lap up the BS that they're 'job creators', our new deities.

o

mrskjun, I do not understand what you understand. The run away spending is the Tax cut, and Two wars all created by the Conservative President Bush.

READ........When Bush took office there was a surplus. What do you not get about that fact. When he left we were in a deficit.

NEXT.......READ.......As an example.
This is how you pay your bill with a job. Right? If you stop working you cannot pay your bills. Bills were made before you lost your job. Interest adds up the bill gets higher.

NOW THE GOVERNMENT....
Taxes pay the bills. Cut Taxes less money to pay the bills. But you still have the same bills that were made before the tax cuts. Government Services still have to be paid, interest build up. Making the deficit higher.

Do you understand yet?

That is what the taxes are for. What part of this do you not understand? There is no class warfare here. It is a talking point Faux News has told you and you believe it and repeat it like a parrot.

It is simple add and subtraction issue. I wish Conservatives would use their minds and read. Subtract the tax = losing your job and there is no money to pay the bills. These are not all bills that were made under President Obama. It is bills the previous administration promised to pay but with what money? TAXES that they are not collecting.

As far as entitlement yes. I am entitled to SS. They have taken several thousands of dollar out of my paycheck for Social Security. If they had invested this money just as I have done with my 401K and my other funds that I invested in property, they could easily give me my little SS check and send the extra to 2 other people.

But instead of putting the SS funds in a separate account it has been used to start pretend wars looking for WMD that did not exist. Pay high Congress salaries, and give them the best health care and retirement than the people they serve.

My vote is that every Congressman, Senator are placed in the Same Social Security and Health System pool the rest of us have to deal with and then you will see real quick how they change their mind about it being an entitlement.

o

"today I'm pledging to cut the deficit we inherited in half by the end of my first term in office. This will not be easy. It will require us to make difficult decisions and face challenges we've long neglected. But I refuse to leave our children with a debt that they cannot repay - and that means taking responsibility right now, in this administration, for getting our spending under control."

Jerzee...this president is good at one thing. Excuses.

o

Guess what marquest, one of those wars is over. Where's the money?

And believe it or not, it's people with jobs that pay taxes. Not people who are sliding every day into poverty living on government benefits. Obama's tax cut ok with you? Out of Social Security?

If taxes pay the bills, how bout the government stop making more and more bills for the taxes to pay.

So the Bush tax cuts expire on the wealthiest Americans. Guess what, that totals 70.9 MILLION dollars a years. The interest on the national debt alone was 196 BILLION, last year. So if you think this is anything but a class warfare gimmick, I'll sell you a bridge in Brooklyn.

And yes, George Bush was a lousy president, and he drove up the deficit. And Obama has driven it up twice as fast, and with a 3.8 Trillion dollar budget this year, the sky is the limit. Tell me what he has done to get spending under control?

o

The deficit drove up the deficit.....and that's the facts. As I understand it the interest on the existing debt is the largest contributor to the mounting deficit. Or maybe it's defense spending , that and social benefits ( Bill we don't call them entitlements here:-) , so tell me whet you think the cuts should come from Mrs.

Interesting that the Republicans are now saying the retention of the payroll tax is not dependent upon paying for it......just add it to the deficit I suppose.

They are also against the DOD cuts insisted upon by the President.

o

If we REALLY want to cut spending - it needs to come from the military budget.

o

So the Bush tax cuts expire on the wealthiest Americans. Guess what, that totals 70.9 MILLION dollars a years [sic]

you can't be serious if you expect anyone to believe that.

o

According to MSN money. "Those numbers, however, don't include additional tax revenue from letting Bush era tax cuts for the wealthy expire at the end of 2012. Letting those tax cuts expire would generate an additional $709 billion over the next decade, according to the budget proposal."

I see I did write million...supposed to be billion. 70.9 billion per year. Nothing in Obama world. He threw 6 times that much away on Solyndra alone. So tell me how this would fix our deficit problems?

o

Oh, so 709 billion over ten years.

What was the cost of the Iraq war?

What was the cost of the Afghanistan war?

What was the whallop on the deficit from the tax cuts, for the 10 years its been in effect - the same amount?

What is the 10 yr cost of the medicare drug benefit?

He threw 6 times that much away on Solyndra alone Nice try at a diversion, there, but nobody is biting.

Repeal the tax cuts, then lets talk about what the rest of our shared sacrifice will be. Cutting medicare, cutting medicaid, cutting school loans, national parks, food stamps, road and infrastructure development, medical research, health care, all that.

o

What was the cost of the Iraq war?

What was the cost of the Afghanistan war?

Oh, I know!

Ask me! Ask me!

Trillions!

More than a thousand billion dollars!

o
sigh

But no one who voted for Bush wants any of that responsibility to pay for it.

Keep that in mind the next time some 'conservative' capital gains/carried interest/ 15% tax rate 'job creator' starts talking about 'personal responsibility'

o

And we're still spending money in Iraq, Afghanistan, and myriads of other places.

The bleeding will not stop!

We are spending billions staging our troops in Kuwait. Never mind the war, hell the preparations will break us.

Is our presence around Iran free? I know..we already had the ships, why not use them. LOL

o

Solyndra got 6X 709 billion? Nds three is no decimal point..... it's 709 billion

o

Lets keep in mind that the only candidate who talks about reining this monstrosity in is Ron Paul. Everyone else is so firmly in the grip of the military/industrial/congressional/money pit that they all want more of the same.

o

Bush took a budget surplus and ran it into a deficit.
He started two wars and finished none.
Those wars cost Trillions.
Bush's prescription drug benefit added to the Deficit more than Obamacare has. Surely you Republican Bush voters now turned fiscal debt hawks agree.

The national debt has built up over a long period. It cannot be paid off or even substantially paid down while the economy is not strong. Trying to gut social programs like SS, Medicare and unemployment would risk complete economic collapse and a prolonged Depression. Draconian austerity at this point will end up badly as it has in Europe. Look at the incendiary pictures hayseed posts here every day

As far as Social Security, these Republicans need to keep their greasy hands off of it. We take care of our own in this country, always have and always will. Ryan and Romney and others who seek to privatize SS can go to he11. Read some history and you will discover why Social Security was started in this country. It was meant to address growing and unacceptable levels of poverty among the elderly. The program has been tremendously successful for decades at doing that and we are not going to dismantle it now. Read about why we created Medicare for the elderly and Medicaid for the poor. The facts is that private health insurance system does not work for older individuals, poor people and those who have preexisting illness.

Are you GOPers foolish enough to believe that you can try to take down the social safety net while protecting the 1% and allowing corporations to run roughshod over workers, our environment, and our country? Do you really believe that the American people are going to sit back and allow that agenda?

We need to grow this economy to pay our bills. We cannot do that by providing the Romney Class with more tax breaks and hoping they will trinkle on us some day. Doubling down on fossil fuels is another mistake. The big oil and coal companies are the same corporations that are sucking our wallets dry every day while controlling the political discourse.

As far as Obama's budget it is a guideline, never meant as legislation that would be passed as written. The vote and all the GOPer hyperbole about that vote is merely an exercise in partisan wizeazz that is anything but helpful. Worse yet, it is designed to drive a stake into the heart of positive growth, consumer confidence, and any sensible plans to move us forward.

That's why we need to drum out the Republicans. Enough is enough with all of your negativity, obstructionism, false outrage about social issues, scare tactics, and reactionary garbage.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 14, 12 at 17:09

The "Job Creators" only create jobs to make money. Tax em' like Ike did at 90% (I'll be more generous at 50%) and then they will "create jobs" to make up for the money they lost in taxes. They don't create jobs just out of the kindness of their hearts, they want mo' money. Sitting on a pile of money ain't gonna create jobs, though using some of that taxed money for road and bridge repairs will, and it'll be spent right here. Tax em' they'll make more god bless em', use their addiction to the nation's advantage like Ike did. Light a fire under em'

o

Mitt's valentine reads:
"I Love You one percent"

o

"kt, if every taxpayer in America sent their paycheck straight to Washington, it wouldn't make a dent in this deficit."

Don't bring up stuff like that MrsK.

o

Wow, Imagine someone being self employed or owning a small business to make money. How nasty of them!

o

It's ok if they make money and send it to Washington brush. Don't you know? Obama spends it so well!!!

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 15, 12 at 10:04

Got no problem with "small" businesses, they get a pass if their profits are less than say 500K annually (Obama is being too generous at 30% tax on millionaires). It's the Romney types that just sit on their butts and their 100's of millions not doing anything at all to "create jobs", living off the interest, dividends, and stock sales of old money paying 13.9% in taxes. It's a crock to say that this stale stagnant money that sits in overseas accounts is doing the US economy any good in creating jobs, it's doing only good for Romney. Make Romney a 50%er to spark a fire under his lazy butt to actually create jobs and make real money for a change. It worked well in the 1950's. When people have so much money that they can buy politicians, elections, and bills/laws that suit their fancy then they have TOO MUCH money and way too much POWER!

o

Good posts here from heri and Marquest. I'm curious: who here wants to cut social security? Seriously?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here