Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jury Duty

Posted by labrea 7NYC (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 6:36

It's that time again today I start jury duty. Most people I work with hate the prospect.
Do most of you perform this duty without grief or do you see it as an opportunity to participate in an important part of our civic life?

This post was edited by labrea on Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 6:55

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jury Duty

Had it three times. I will do anything now to get out of it...

o

I've done it 4 times and it's my responsibility as a citizen.

o

Wish you lived here and you could stand in for me...

o

I've had jury duty multiple times in multiple states and once for some Federal court. I've never had to do anything but call to see if I was needed.

While serving on a jury isn't on my bucket list, it's not something that I would try to get out of doing. I have successfully asked that it be postponed to a time that wasn't during my busy time of year.

o

Also wish you guys could have done my military time...

o

it comes around about every two years for me and the wife. Unlike many, we don't lose income since we're self employed. But we do have to work late nights to keep caught up. Since it is a civic duty, we oblige the court.

o

I've been called twice in 20 years, never had to sit on a case.

My DD did, and she ended up as the jury foreman (shows what happens when you dress decently), and they found the guy guilty. She said it was very hard.

o

I've never been asked, but I think I'd appreciate the break, and it would be pretty interesting.

o

I've only been called up once and was dismissed in a group before making it to voir dire.

In a criminal action, I think it would have been unlikely I would have been accepted by one side or the other, depending on the merits of the case.

I would serve, although having worked for days and weeks in trials, it is tedious and time consuming.

I do believe that it is our duty to serve.

This post was edited by demifloyd on Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 9:21

o

It's easy to get out of it if you want. I thought it would be interesting, but I didn't get to do it. They were setting up their case with scenarios and asking, what would you do? I knew from my university studies, that the defendants were in a known drug transport corridor... and other factors. When they asked me the scenario, I simply said, first of all, I wouldn't let someone get in my car with a gun (you get where they were going? They were trying to say, others would likely "let it go"?) and then answered the question very truthfully. You've never seen lawyers on both sides scribbling down a name so quickly in your life... It was hilarious! I knew I couldn't be objective for that case. I saw the court officer somewhere in public later that same week? Weirdness, Nashville isn't all that small. He said, you did a very good job. And sort of winked. I wasn't trying to get off the jury, but I wasn't going to play games either.

o

This is my 4 th time I never make it past voir dire.

o

This is my 4 th time I never make it past voir dire.

o

I've been notified maybe half a dozen times, generally told at the last minute to not come in. Once I made it to voir dire but was not selected.
I would do it if selected because I do see it as a civic duty. But I could not do a capital case.

o

I was called in 5 times. I got an excuse because of my travel 2 times. I served through one trial. The others were settled before the trial began. I wish they would find some other names. It is crazy it is not like TV.

I think it is a duty but it really is punishment for being a good citizen.

o

Amazing how people don't listen the clerk has gone over the same information 3 times & given directions to other buildings for deferrals. Within seconds, questions, people ask what if's that have already been covered.

This post was edited by labrea on Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 13:26

o

I've been called once when it was possible to attend. In such a small town, everybody knows everybody else.

So a typical four corners crowd - coal miners, cowboys, Mormon Grandmothers, crystal-hugging hippies, a desert rat, ski bum, Goethe, wheat farmer or two, heavily tattooed kids, etc.

"How many people here know the defendant?" 1/3 the room raises their hands.

The case was about somebody causing a non-visible injury to someone else, so the voir dire questions were about that - asked a physical therapist, got a whole discourse. Asked a professional rodeo bronc rider - injury don't count unless bones are broken.

Lots of fun.

o

Within seconds questions people ask what if's that have already been covered.

And these are the folks that are our "peers". HA!

o

Robin that was the first thought that came to me! There were instructions on seeking defferals that were on the original summons. 3 explanations on where to go if if if you cannot show up tomorrow or
Monday go to the same address for deferral. If you have children that need to be picked up before 5 pm There was a woman here with her children one in a stroller. she stayed & stars finally the clerk told her you can't take them with you if your picked for a trial. A big OH! Well dressed, no one home! The number of people who showed up more than an hour late astounding! I'd say about 20% left by the 3 rd round of instructions.
I would not like to trust a good number of these folks to follow a judges instructions!

o

I hate jury duty. Last time it took me three weeks. A cute, young, religious couple (encouraged by the young lady's shady father) was trying to fleece an immigrant Iraqi couple who sold them a used car. Thankfully they lost.

I came away from that episode amazed at how little some jurors pay attention and how biased some jurors can be when the perpetrators are young, cute, and religious. Thankfully, there were enough of us who actually listened to the testimony and wrote down notes.

-Ron-

o

I was called once years ago but the case was settled before trial.
It was a problem for me because I was the sole employee of my business, was excused but still had to serve at a later date. I had to hire a person for the 2 days I did have to report. I have no problem with serving, its a duty and a chance to be a part o the system. I dont want to do it but I must.

o

I served once when I lived in California. It was an interesting process, hung jury, an underage girl claiming she had consensual sex with the man who was living with her parents.

Since living in NM, I have been called once, but I was excused for a health problem at the time. I hope to never be called again as they basically have a large group that is on call for the whole month, you call in at the beginning of the week to see if you need to report. I understand the civic duty aspect but that is a wee bit onerous.

o

I always go when called in, and I think of it as a very important civic duty ... if I were ever on trial, I would certainly not consider a panel of people who didn't have anything other to do with thier day to be "my peers" so I figure me missing work is a sort of Golden Rule/Pay it forward deal.

But I always get sifted out during voir dire. I just answer honestly, but I guess I am too vehement to make a good juror. I also do have a very legitimate beef with the Republican prosecutors office here ... they really only prosecute the cases they know they can win, and to hell with victims who are not impressive to juries getting thier justice. So when I am asked about my biases, I end up answering truthfully that I wouldn't trust the DA's office if they told me the sky was blue. Tends to make my service rather short ... but I think lying to get onto a jury would also be a disservice to the defendent and plantiffs.

Edited for grammatical awkwardness.

This post was edited by TxanGoddess on Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 13:04

o

Have done it twice.

Jury duty is a perfect example that everyone's idea of dressing in "business casual" is very, very different.

o

you mean like flip flops and tank shirts redsox? Or do they consider pjs business casual? I can't imagine worse. But I bet it would give me a good laugh!

Txan you and I may be long lost sisters. That's how I get kicked off! I'm not even trying. Joe, what kicks you outta voir dire?

o

I've served on a jury once and another case settled before the jury heard the evidence. It was an interesting experience and I'm glad I served and was surprised I was picked since I was a lawyer.

I think it is a civic duty and don't decline. I have been notified a few other times but not called in.

My sister, who lives in Louisiana, served on a Grand Jury which indicted one of the defendants about whom Sister Prejean wrote her book and which was later a movie with Sean Penn, I believe. I can't remember the name of the book or movie. Something about the "Green Line", I think.

o

• Posted by jomuir z5 detroit (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 18:16

I've been called many times. A couple times, they either settled or postponed the trial for some reason. Once I was extremely busy at work & requested to be excused by phone. The lady said, you can expect a summons in 6-12 months & like clockwork I was called again.

Sat on 1 murder case. It ended w/me caving in & agreeing to vote manslaughter. It got really ugly & I still wish I hadn't changed my vote from what I really believed. The other was 2 brothers, one tried to kill the other. With an axe. Bad blood! The perp. was a drug addict, it was actually really sad all around. We found him guilty of attempted murder.

I hate jury duty, seems like I get called every few years and none of my friends/family get called. There's a secret list somewhere that says I get away with most of my speeding but serve more jury duty I guess. Cheaper this way.

o

I get called every two years like clock-work and I've served twice. Both were for driving while intoxicated offenses.

We found one guy guilty and the other was acquitted. He shouldn't have been, but the prosecution and the police witness were so inept that we had little choice.

I would use whatever means necessary (and legal) to avoid sitting on a murder or rape trial or one that was predicted to last over a couple of weeks.

o

Ah well no action today I have to go back tomorrow. last time I was there just 1 day. I had planned to go to the Orchid Show Tomorrow it's NY Botanical gardens Members Preview. Ah well

o

My sister, who lives in Louisiana, served on a Grand Jury which indicted one of the defendants about whom Sister Prejean wrote her book and which was later a movie with Sean Penn, I believe. I can't remember the name of the book or movie. Something about the "Green Line", I think.

Dead Man Walking?

o

"The green Mile"

Just out of interest do you get paid for attending for jury duty?

o

Posted by youngquinn VIC Aust (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 21:35

"The green Mile"

Just out of interest do you get paid for attending for jury duty?

I don't believe that The Green Mile is the story to which dockside was referring--I think it is Dead Man Walking.

The Green Mile is fiction by Stephen King.

Yes, some people can be paid--it varies depending on the state if it is state district court, if one is employed or not and whether the employer is required to pay for the time, the type of expenses they have, and the type of court. I think Federal jurors get paid something like $40 (just looked it up, that's what it looks like but I didn't research conditions).

o

I always called for jury duty and several times I had to show up but only served on one jury.
I feel it is my civic duty but since I am so hard of hearing how, am glad I am over 72 and don't need a doctor's excuse.

o

OK thanks for the info demi , I became confused I believe as "Dead Man walking" is a line from the movie "the green Mile'

thank you for clearing that up.

o

Was in the jury pool one time (6 months). Called to the courthouse about 8 times and selected to hear one civil case. The long time on the pool coupled with a high difficulty in being excused results in few people ever having duty more than twice in a lifetime. It was an inconvenience for the 6 months because we would often not know if we would have to attend court until the night before.

After the trial, the losing lawyer interviewed me on the jury deliberations and then asked if I would like to do some work for his firm.

o

Guess Im just a simple rube, I feel its my duty?? Like goin to the dentist or gettin the finger every 3 years?? Its what ya gotta do.

o

I was paid $12 for one day of time. Not even close to what I would get paid one hour of civilian work. But there are others who probably get paid much less or not even at all. It's probably a "fair rate", if that makes sense quinn.

o

I'm an engagement ring watcher there were some knockouts yesterday no matter how dressed down the wearer.
Should Jamie Dimon, Donald Trump or Matthew Broderick have to do jury duty or would that be a distraction at a trial?

o

Not much of a distraction. I would think other well known people live there. Dish it when you know!

I am giggling at the thought of them going through the metal detectors. In our criminal court building, you either have to cover it up (the first officer sees you and you just cover it with your hand. I'm talking about jurors not defendants) or take it off. I imagine a rock like that would have to have some heavy metal to stay up! I bet they got totally frustrated with it beeping and beeping... heh

o

I dont mind serving but cannot tolerate the process which must be endured here, I consider it it be abusive.
You are notified the month before that you are in the pool of the following month's pool, you are notified a full 30 days ahead of time in order to cancel all appointments for the following month. You are assigned a number.
On the month you are chosen to be in the pool, every day at 6 pm through 10 Pm you call the courthouse and listen to the group of numbers who must report to the court house the following morning.

If you have called a special number to ask to be excused from the process and are successful, you will automatically roll into the next month, to start all over again. If you are too ill to serve your doctor has to call.

When you call and your number isn't on the list given, you wait until the next evening and do it again.
You do this every day until the month ends, making no plans or appointments the entire month until your process begins.
If you reach to the end of the month without your name coming up, your name is rolled back for four months and then you have to go through the process all over again so its much better to have your name called and just get it over with.
Nobody but the chronically gets out of it, those who travel for their job will be given several months advance notice to make arrangements to be available for that month of calling every evening.
The last time, I went 29 days before being called, I was beyond furious. I had to go through that and then turn around and go through it AGAIN in four months if if my number not not come up? I felt held hostage for that month.
My husband's number came up last year and his number came up in 3 short days. The gods smiled upon him.
I will say, everyone is treated the same. You might find a way to get out of serving on the jury but there is no way to get yourself out of the abusive phone process up to that point.
I have served twice and found the process to be very interesting. I was relieved to see that both times, the entire jury took the assignment very seriously. As long as its not a capital murder case, I feel its my duty to serve. My husband has been called and then served only once, his experience was similar to mine.

o

Rob,

I have not served in about a decade so back then people didn't go out in their pajamas but would show up in sweats and not looking clean either.

I first served in my 20s and wore a silk blouse and skirt hoping to look conservative and not get picked. So, I got picked.

o

I guess my lawn flamingo t shirt & leather pants weren't a good idea! Process is different here you notified a few monthsor in advance that your being considered. Fill out the form tell them why you can't then a month before your called with complete instructions on how to get a defferal. Last time we were told that our pool was come inMonday you'd be there till we'd if you came thurs you'd be there till Friday. I think a celebrity juror might cause too much distraction or be grounds for prejudice depending on the case.

o

Yes, demi, it was "Dead Man Walking". Thanks.

o

You're welcome. ;)

o

I'm out they picked 80 out of 100 for the final pool at random & the rest of us were given the rest of the day off yipee! I won't have to go back for 6 years!

o

Dude! I am seriously jealous. It's 3 years for us. How did you get excluded?

o

I was called once many years ago and had a doctor's excuse. Never been called again. My aunt served on a jury years ago where the defendant cut off another man's penis. I remember how traumatized she was and worried about repercussions when they found him guilty.

o

Lilly they needed 80 people out of the hundred present it was a lottery!
New York County (Manhattan) is large enough that the cycle takes about 6 years. Using 200 people called a week works out to only 14,000 a year for State Supreme Court.

o

I just got notice for my son who is away at college. Was able to "postpone" his appearance by going online and 'splainin'.

o

It is stunning to me how different the process is from state to state. This state has a terrible process, anyone who has ever been forced through a couple of weeks of evening calls to see what tomorrow might bring agrees with me that this system is abusive. I never mind if Im selected to serve on a case ( as long as it isn't a capital murder case) but the process a person is put through in reaching that point is ridiculous.

I do understand the need for states to choose their own system. The population of the states and the towns and cities within the states will determine much of the process, but I just know that a better, more efficient and less intrusive formula could be found other than the one Im stuck with.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here