Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Non Partisan Study on Compassion

Posted by elly_nj NJ z6 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 26, 12 at 7:27

I found this non-partisan study very interesting.

New Study Finds Humans May Have Some Capacity For Compassion
FEBRUARY 2, 2012 : ISSUE 4805

TUCSON, AZ. A University of Arizona study published this week in the American Journal Of Sociology suggests that some adult humans may occasionally feel compassion, a trait scientists have long considered beyond the capacity of the species. "A small percentage of the roughly 900 subjects we observed seemed at times to exhibit genuine empathy toward another person experiencing either psychological or physical pain," said the study's lead author, Dr. Benjamin Trumble, who later added that these individuals did not appear as though they were looking to gain anything from their compassionate reactions, but, to the surprise of researchers, were simply concerned about another person's well-being. "Of course, we'll need to conduct further tests to rule out the possibility that these demonstrations weren't the result of statistical noise or the expression of some sort of very, very rare genetic mutation." The study also reaffirmed previous research indicating that 95 percent of individuals are capable of convincingly feigning compassion.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Non Partisan Study on Compassion

Elly, how funny and how provocative. These librul profs will stop at nothing to put down conservative yahoos' demands for personal responsibility and no sex before marriage.

o

got to love the Onion particularly the way they do it at Kwan Yin dumpling house!~

o

I feel that most people have some level of compassion, although many times it's misplaced or offset by ignorance or frustration.

o

Well, we know that conservatives are compassionate with their charitable giving. We know that liberals are compassionate, they always want to give you the shirt off someone else's back.

o

oink

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 26, 12 at 8:25

Wonder if they used a "label maker", from the few responses here I would guess yes.

What size do you wear MrsK ? I mean if I am going to give away your shirt I should know what size it is, or are you one who wears "one size fits all" ? From your comment, I would guess yes :)

o

The study also reaffirmed previous research indicating that 95 percent of individuals are capable of convincingly feigning compassion.

And this thread will prove that!

o
/////RE: Non Partisan Study on Compassion

omg ohiomom, that was a joke, but I forget that liberals don't have much of a sense of humor...at least I should know that from reading this forum. btw...I'm a fatty..size 10..but I've already given mine away.

o

omg mrskjun, this liberal without "much of a sense of humor" sure finds it humorous that you took a satirical piece, didn't check the link, and then made snide comments about liberal compassion and lack of humor.

I posted this to see who bothers to read links and who twists things to get partisan.

Bazinga!

o
/////RE: Non Partisan Study on Compassion

I read your link elly...and don't think you see anything as humorous.

o

And again: Bazinga.

o

I think more research needs be done with a larger sample. It should be double blind, with placebos too. :)

o

How insulting calling me a librule, puh leasssssze!
I am a republican meat puppet, a left test anarcho fly trap!
I do like flys levi 501's mnnn
A Homolectual a rabble trouser!

o

Is commiepassion a Russian plot is a sensayuma obligatory when trying to avoid a partisan ship? All these questions and more will be answered when you sign up for the Donald Rumsfeld daily podcast "unknown knowns".

o

But, Elly, don't we really already know? Bazinga! ;-)

And, Marshallz... would you really buy a car without test driving it first, to see how it handled?

o

inkognito, just now you sounded like the poster I shall not name, you know, the one with that disoriented, rambling, jibberish thing going on. That's not like you; normally you sound very rational. What was that, dare I ask?

o

Probably his nephew.

ROTF!

o

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 26, 12 at 14:51

Demi, why are you rolling on the floor?

o
Rolling on the Floor and Compassion

I do it for Labrea.

Private Joke.

:)

I have found that people have different definitions of compassion and that it is therefore, subjective.

o

Lol roll Demi roll tear it up have a good time!
Oh Elvis stawwwwp being coy a poster who shall remain nameless tskkkkkk! Can' t even enjoy a little jabber wonky!
Amazing sown thing from the onion is sooooo serious!

o

Where's the coat hanger when I need it?

o

Mrskjun is pleasantly fullsome...who the heck wants to cuddle a stick in size 4?

o

I looked at a Doctor in the Hospital the other day what are you a 1 or a 0...she was a 1 on a good day! EWWWWW! Skeletor!
I had compassion for her lack of good chocolate

o

I comfort myself knowing that Marilyn Monroe was a size 10, and I'd still rather look like that than Twiggy. lol

o

There are now making sample sizes now in the negatives, something all good little actresses and models are currently striving for. Size 0-1 as the perfect size is so 2010! So I've been told anyway, I do hope my friend is incorrect.

I think if a woman was built like Marilyn MOnroe today, she would fit in today's current size of 6 or perhaps 8 on a bloated day. They have dramatically down sized the up sizes of yesteryear. The tactic sells more clothes that way.

Seriously.

o

When it comes right down to it, though, Labrea... a lot of things are subjective.

Who the hell do they make size 1 clothing for? I've never been anywhere NEAR a size 1... not even as a teenager! Some women might think anorexia is a good look, but I think if you took a real survey, you'd find that most guys like a little meat stretched over the bones.

Of course, there's a difference between normal feminine curvy, and obese...

o

I doubt that any hetro male (and maybe could convert a few non-hetros too *LOL*) would turn down Eva Mendes! And that is one *very* gorgeous, very curvey woman who is not in any way even plump. But she is probably "thicker" than most actresses wish to be.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here