Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Meteor explodes over Russia injures 500

Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 7:53

Quite a story, and this isn't even the big one, that's expected tonight.

Scientists say the meteor broke apart about 18 miles above the earth - and still caused a lot of damage and injured almost 500 people.

The ultranationalist party in Russia is blaming America!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Quite a video

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Meteor explodes over Russia injures 500

I saw that when I logged in this morning.
It was beautiful!

We never know what the day will hold....

o

Don't want to see any of that "beauty" here...

o

Russian news agency has speculated that the Russian military shot the meteorite during its descent and broke it into small pieces.

A larger one is coming in later today, but I am not sure where..
This is how the end of the world with mass extinction will likely happen....again.

Here is a link that might be useful: It came out of the sky

o

I find this to be very scary. How do they know the asteroid won't take a wobble?

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 9:28

It's fairly easy to keep track of the many planet killers that cross the Earth's orbit, those that are 1/2 mile in diameter or larger are about 90% now known and the search continues. The smaller rocks & boulders can sneak up on us without any notice. The one that passes by us today (approx 150 ft wide) was spotted about 2 weeks ago and if it entered the atmosphere would result in a 2 megaton explosion. Fortunately it will scrape by us at 17,000 miles, a razor thin dodge. I still recall from my earliest interest in astronomy that the craters on the moon just had to be volcanic in origin, no way that those were from impacts, way too mind boggling to be true. Guess what....

o

I don't know what to think. The below article says NASA predicts nothing will happen. Guess I'll keep a wary eye on it today.

I meant to add, and the number is up to 900 injured. UGH!

Here is a link that might be useful: abcnews - Asteroid

This post was edited by rob333 on Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 9:32

o
E.L.E - an extinction level event

I think it's like the tsunami, or Mount. St. Helen's. These are events that don't happen in our "civilized" world. These are events we read about in history books. They catch us by surprise, certainly off guard.

Makes the Tunguska event more relevant, and that meteor that hit about 65 million years ago a bit more real.

An extinction level event? The asteroid that's going to swing by tonight - 17,000 miles above the earth.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

o

Wow! That is a really cool-looking!

I'm thinking I wouldn't mind going in a fiery crash. Sure beats a slow and steady decline into decrepitude.

o

"Sometimes you're the windshield
Sometimes you're the bug....

strum strum

o

Shock wave from explosion took out a zinc factory:

o

I'm with you terrene on that one. In all reality, to be here in North America it is really something to watch on video. Must have been terrifying for those experiencing it at the time. We have cloudy skies all day so I don't think we will get much action out of the asteroid that will be passing later in the day:(. Will check out Youtube to see what others caught though. I love astronomy and the related like.

o

Several videos at the link - the first one was removed, check out the others.

Driving along, "oooh, thats cool........ baBOOOM

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

NASA will have coverage of the asteroid's flyby today.

Here is a link that might be useful: NASA

o

Whoa David! Thank you for the links. I get it now.

That second one he's driving along just fine, and then suddenly puts the pedal to the metal. That third one scares the freak out of me! They sound so scared. How confusing it must've been. And those filming it, don't just hear it, they feel it. You can tell because they're standing there steady and then it just jars them. They must've really thought they were under attack.

o

Here's the crater it created!

-Ron-

Here is a link that might be useful: Caldera

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 13:11

Hmmmm...................I thought it landed in a lake

The video of the "caldera" is actually a video of the "Door to Hell", a burning pit in Uzbekistan. It's been burning for 35 years.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

This post was edited by momj47 on Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 13:12

o

Ups. My mistake. I found the lake hole after this one.

-Ron-

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here