Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A small step to less hatred......

Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 7, 13 at 8:05

At least for two young people.

One of the most prominent members of the Westboro Baptist church has left it after spending her life as part of the fervently anti-gay movement.

Megan Phelps-Roper, who looked after social media for the church best known for its slogan "God hates fags", announced her departure in a post on the blogging platform Medium in which she also revealed her younger sister Grace, 19, was also leaving.

This will be hard for them. Sadly, they'll be attacked from all sides for a while, I hope they find good support and help in these early days.

Undoing years of indoctrination will be painful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Westboro defections

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A small step to less hatred......

Undoing years of indoctrination will be painful.

They will need counseling and encouragement, but since they are strong enough to denounce the hatred, I'm hopeful they will make a full recovery.

This post was edited by brushworks on Thu, Feb 7, 13 at 8:08

o

2 Down how many thousands to go!

o

It's a very small start...

o

Thousands - no.

Billions and billions

o

"They think that they are the only ones who are going to heaven and if you don't go to that church you're going to hell," This is from another daughter Libby who left.
really not very different from so may other sects just the others don't bother to make themselves a target by preaching this so loudly! Or at least at soldiers funerals (I still remember that outcry was not so loud or at all before they picketed soldiers funerals.

o

Gee I thought this would have been great news to the CONSERVATIVES guess not. So dissapointed in you guys...again!

o

I have watched the documentary by Louis Theroux, a couple of times and while it left me only feeling disgust for the teachings of this "church" I actually felt a bit of something akin to compassion for these young women...they have very obviously been brainwashed by the significant family in their lives...all their lives.

I am glad they are finally realising that they can think for themselves.

o

To some extent, this is the modus operandi of all religions, though... from the moment of baptism as an infant unable to choose for oneself... some religions go a lot farther than others, would be the difference.

But I do think that the original message has been greatly twisted over time... as evidenced by the hate and division taught as part of the whole experience.

o

labrea, I don't see how anyone can call Westboro a church. It's a cult full of hatred. Hopefully these girls will be the beginning of a flood of people who turn their backs and flee.

o

Fred Phelps/Westboro Church originated here in Kansas and was appalling us long before they gained a national reputation through their God Hates . . . campaigns at funerals. As I understand it, this so-called church has never consisted of more than a large immediate family and their spouses and in-law families. In other words, everyone in the group is related by blood or marriage. There are no others who make up the "congregation." That is what has always been so weird about them--that one "extended family" (literally) could have such an impact on the nation's consciousness.

In some ways, in the old days (the first time I encountered them was in the late 1980s at an abortion rights conference here is Kansas that the Phelp's group was protesting against), they had large hand-painted signs that included the "God Hates . . ." motto even then. (They concluded that abortion rights women were all lesbians!) They had a way of painting those signs that made it look like venom dripping down from each word. It was truly ugly--and actually frightened me the first time I saw them lined up in a row across the street silently holding the venom-dripping signs. Maybe I'm just used to them now, but the nicely printed signs (with the same logo) that they have now are not half as horrifying as the old hand-painted ones.

I hope the young women have linked up with positive, supportive communities outside the "family" religious group.

Kate

o

Kate I have seen the Theroux documentary and he interviewed some members of this "group" who were urelated to Phelps. Apparently some journalists had come to interview Phelps and decided to stay and join the group !!

o

OK if you say so, yq--but I'd be surprised if his group has ever had more than a handful of "outsiders" --at most-- join the group. But maybe they have expanded their appeal in the last couple years as they gained more national attention. A most unfortunate thought, isn't it!

Kate

o

yes, if "that lot" are going to populate "heaven" then I am glad I am an athiest!

o

I cannot recommend Louis Theroux too highly.
Most , if not all of his documentaries are worth watching

Here is a link that might be useful: Westboro in crisis

o
RE: A small step to less hatred..0

"everytime a woman dies of breast cancer...they call that a God smack" " Disease is a judgment from God"

I have previously missed these gems from these hate filled creatures.

o

yes I can't see how anyone would call on a lot of things churches but they do. He went to Bob Jones University he worked with Billy Graham whom he now regards as a traitor.
I've always thought he was a crack pot but I was posting about him here before he started picketing Soldiers Funerals.
I consider Bryan Fisher the same kind of Crackpot anda all the hyper Calvinists or followers of Rousas John Rushdoony & his call for a theocratic state & Christianist Courts.
This Fool has just gotten the most attention for picketing funerals.
It's not even a matter of degree more a matter of publicity.

This post was edited by labrea on Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 21:29

o

You mean theres MORE ??!!

o

Oh, just what we need... a theocratic, extremist justice system.

How did religion and hate/prejudice get so intertwined?

o

Jodi, this is nothing new, right? The Crusades, the Spanish Inquisition, the witch trials, infidel v. christian, christian v. infidel, etc., ad nauseum.

I think people, any people tend to disagree with others when it comes to things that are important to them, and religion is one of those things.

o

And as an old History teacher Msgr Holland used to say "..& if necessary we will kill you (pause) IN HIS NAME"
He'd bow his head & smile (funny man, good teacher)

o

a philosophical difference.
The Spanish Inquisition, Bl00dy mary burning Protestants, the Crusades etc all had one thing in common.

They were all performed by the prevailing Government.

here , in the case of the Westboro thing, you have the Governemtn of a country allowing it because of the constitutional requirements to allow free speech.

perhaps I am splitting hairs.

o

The Crusades, the Spanish Inquisition, the witch trials, infidel v. christian, christian v. infidel, etc., ad nauseum
These occurred pretty much based on the ideas presented at the Council of Chalcedon that made the state subservient to the LAW OF GOD which gets truly muddled post Reformation and is present again in the Manhattan Declaration.

o

Gee I thought this would have been great news to the CONSERVATIVES guess not. So dissapointed in you guys...again!

Wrong again is right!!

o

Now Brighton if I can't goad then what pleassure is there being on this forum? Surely you of all people should know that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here