Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Midway Film

Posted by hamiltongardener CAN 6a (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 8:28

And no, it's not about WWII.

Here is the film's trailer. Piqued your interest?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Midway Film

I can't watch the film. I couldn't even make it through the trailer. Great sorrow.

o

can't watch that & beside we already have had it from some forum members in the past that it's mostly a myth. The Ocean is recycling & renews itself yadda yadda yadda!

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 9:44

Labrea you took the words out of my keyboard, I was admonished not too long ago by a forum member that the "floating trash" in our oceans was all a myth.

Besides we have been told repeatedly that "regulations" are job killers.

o

The trash floating in our oceans is not only NOT a myth, it also causes issues that we've only begun to understand. Over time some of the objects we've discarded, relegating to the ocean depths, are ground into tiny particles by the continual roiling tides and the sand on the beaches, often releasing chemicals that interact with the salt water. One such chemical chain is an estrogen from plastic.

Plastics manufacturers have known all along that the products they produce are not conducive to good human health, nor are the products good for nature or our planet. Certain types of plastics are KNOWN cancer causing agents, though the industry and government agencies allow them to be used commercially.

o

Evolution denial, man-made climate change denial, science denial, now trash denial?????

o

Yes Ohiomom that is one of the clearest memories I have of this! Maybe she will drop anchor again and cry nonsense.
This was chiling as was Rachel Carson's Silent Spring. It was a wake up call when I was a child.
The Robbins that were dwindling have returned and are quite plentiful in NYC some even over winter. Yet areas in Mexico that still used DDT into the 1990's they have not returned to.

o

and how many of you suckers are using the non-stick skillets?

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 12:56

and how many of you suckers are using the non-stick skillets?

.....not me and not any plastic/silicone utensils/cooking pans either.

o

now trash denial?????

Right here on HT!

One of those 'exit from the thread and never to return' after photos and news reports were posted.

o

Nor I, Brush.

The first time I heard of the floating trash, it was reported to be the size of Texas. I was so astonished I didnt believe it until I did a little research - this must have been a good five years ago. Now I hear there are two huge state size floating trash islands out there, dating pre -Japan's tsunami.

Nancy, tactics as usual. With a very few exceptions, that is SOP for many conservatives, sadly enough. Or, deny and deflect. This makes it hard to have debated above pre- school level on too many topics.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here