Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Your favorite Super Bowl commercials

Posted by mrskjun 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 8:57

I had two favorites...the first was the Wheat Thins commercial with the Yeti and Ted the neighbor. The second was a Dodge Ram commercial that featured Paul Harvey and The Farmer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Your favorite Super Bowl commercials

A friend and I were invited up to the lakehouse of another couple, so that was an unexpected "Super Bowl Party."
However, the volume was down and we all talked until the power outage, then actually watched the game.

I remember seeing the end of the Clydesdale commercial, but didn't see the first so I don't know about that but heard beforehand that it was cute.

I saw the Go Daddy one on and it grossed me out before the "kiss" and had also heard about so I didn't watch it. From what I read this morning, others shared my reaction and I didn't even see the kiss.

We did see one that we all laughed at--the "wheels on the bus" commercial. I can't tell you what it was advertising, though.

o

Definitely "Montanaland". Very funny and well done, and oh, so real! By far the best of the commercials.

The others - meh. The Go-Daddy commercials - so third grade.

Here is a link that might be useful: Montanaland

This post was edited by momj47 on Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 11:58

o

I didn't watch the commercials. My son and I played gin rummy during the commercial breaks. We did catch the blond bombshell sucking on the Blob.

o

"Definitely "Montanaland"."

I didn't get to see this live, but saw it this morning. I agree, it was very funny.

The Clydesdale commercial was touching, but an overt emotional ploy. Still, it tugs at the old heart strings, and who couldn't love an adorable Clydesdale?

Dodge's "farmer" was also good. A great tribtue to farmers, although another overt emotional ploy. :-)

The Audi commercial was fairly good. I liked the idea that it conveyed that it's okay to go to your prom without a date. Then the kid turns it around a bit and really enjoys himself after Dad lets him take the Audi.

I would have a tough time choosing between Montanaland and Farmer as the best.

Most of the other stuff was not well done at all. Some were downright creepy.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 11:24

I think that I've lost my taste for Doritos, a good thing.

o

We all thought the commercials were awful this year. Not up to Superbowl standards at all. Loved the Clydesdale one and was so grossed out by the Go Daddy one. Yeeech. Liked the Audi one because daughter has one and a teen age boy, although I think he'll always have prom dates.

o

I haven't watched them all but I did watch the Paul Harvey one. Nostalgic and religious; I guess that's why some people like it.

Those Doritos are so brightly colored - can't imagine eating that.

I like the milk one with the Rock. The cars.com one with the baby wolf was amusing. And yes the baby Clydesdale one was cute.

o

I've got a question - would people have been "grossed out" if the the model was "sucking face" with a a handsome male model?

o

Did you see, and hear, the commercial, it was gross. I don't care who was sucking face, it was gross, but typical of the humor level of Go-Daddy.

But it worked, they are being talked about.

o

The Dodge farmer, best by far.

o

I did not like the Dodge farmer at all. The argument that God "created" farmers who drive Dodge trucks asks us to believe that God sanctions a particular brand of car/truck. Aimed straight at the evangelicals.

o

Figures we finally get a chance to see the famous SB commercials (they are not televised in Canada) and for the most they were mediocre to poor in my opinion.

I liked the Budweiser commercial but it was more of the same from them and I got a kick out of the Taco Bell commercial with the seniors....I think it was Taco Bell.

o

I didn't like the commercials. They were very pedestrian for SB fare. If I had to pick one, I'd probably pick the goat but only because I like goats.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 15:11

The Dodge ad was actually a remake from Farm.com's earlier ad in 2011 ... Paul Harvey narrating that God created farmers on the 8th day and the tasks they perform, the long hours they spend seeing that we have food on our tables. I think Dodge's remake was aimed at customers buying trucks, my boss has one ... which he uses to pick up cans of milk from a local farm. I didn't see the commercial but apparently it has gone viral, which is good for "truck sales".

The only ad I saw (was popping up and down doing other things, and only watched the second half) was the eTrade baby, he is one of my favorite commercials :)

o

OM,I didn't know about the earlier ad, but I did think, as I watched the current ad, "When? On the 8th day"?

Leave it to corporate America to milk religion for truck sales.

o

Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 16:45

And I do not see it that way Pidge, Dodge is/was targeting rural America which also happens to be more conservative. Most companies "market" their product according to regional/cultural groups.

Sometimes we (all of us) look for offense where there is none.

1/2 penny

o

If you mean by "more conservative" "more religious" then corporate America is even more complicit in using God to sell trucks to a particular demographic.

o
RE: Your favorite Super Bowl commercial btws

BTW, OM, I did not "take offense" at the ad as much as I thought it was aimed at the kind of "group think" that considers any mention of God as sacrosanct--and then throws a truck into the picture to cement the link between "God" and "truck" by using one of America's most important persons, the farmer. I would think that farmers would resent their exploitation in such a fashion.

o

We liked the baby Clydesdale; we like sentimental--Hallmark commercials used to just devastate us...

Liked the farmer spot; it's nice to see the family farmer spotlighted.

I really enjoyed the Calvin Klein commmercial...a lot. ;D

Most the rest were just too violent for me; I found most of them somewhat offensive because of this. Too bad.

All in all disappointing display. Oh, and the kissing one: grossed us out. Sounded like someone chewing with mouth open. Eeeooow.

o

Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 18:08

Dodge knows their target audience, and I guarantee you few if any were offended.

Budweiser commercial is polling in first place in my small corner of the universe, guess no one is offended by "alcohol" being promoted as an all American past time.

o

Who can tell... you've got the demographic that loves alcohol or Clydesdales (it's a cross over and jeez an aaaanimal), the Cheeto and goat people (another cross over because it's an aaaanimal), trucks and farms, the stained t-shirt demographic, the demographics for and against underwear. Something for everybody. Elvis, do you dot your "i's" with little hearts?

Edited to add I do like Stevie Nicks "Changes".

This post was edited by duluthinbloomz4 on Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 18:44

o

No, but I am left-handed. Does that count?

o

That just makes you sinister (it's a joke....look up the derivation of sinister).

o

I did not like the Dodge one either, but then I didn't like Paul Harvey . When I heard his voice ,I knew this was designed for the Righties in the audience.

o

just seemed like they were promoting their product to farmers. It was that simple for me!

o

Yup; we be sinister. Me and DaVinci, Einstein, and 5 of the last 7 US presidents. Unfortunately, Jack the Ripper was left-handed, too ;D I wonder if they put little hearts over their "i"s...

Wikipedia: "Amar Klar, a scientist who has worked on handedness, says that left-handed people "have a wider scope of thinking", and points to the disproportionately high number of Nobel Prize winners, writers and painters who are left-handed..."

o

My DD is sinister too as is her husband. When I write with my left hand, I write mirror image. Very weird!

o

JZ: "My DD is sinister too as is her husband. When I write with my left hand, I write mirror image. Very weird!"

If you haven't done so already, you might want to look into that. Not so wierd; just very interesting and pretty unusual, it would seem.

"Various theories to account for mirror writing have been proposed, and these have been summarized elsewhere.2 They include:

�The motor center hypothesis, in which it is postulated that there are motor programs in the brain, with the programs represented bilaterally but in mirror form in the 2 hemispheres. When the left hand carries out writing movements normally carried out by the right hand, it has been suggested that in mirror writing there is a failure to inhibit the natural left-handed tendency to write leftward and in mirror form.

�The visual hypothesis, in which it is similarly envisaged that there are bilateral visual memory traces (engrams) in the brain, the nondominant (usually right) hemisphere engram being in mirrored form and again normally suppressed. Thus, when suppression is impaired or incomplete, mirror writing with the left hand would result. Conflict between abnormal motor pathways subserving mirror writing and a normal visual monitoring system has also been suggested.

�The spatial-orientation hypothesis, in which it is suggested that there is confusion in respect of direction and orientation of reading and writing, sometimes associated with spatial confusion. These phenomena may merge with other related phenomena, including difficulties in overcoming the left-to-right directional bias of normal writing, right-left perceptual difficulties, different processing of writing in right and left hemispace, and access to mirrored graphemes when mirror writing is part of more complex mirror and perceptual phenomena.5

�The involvement of thalamo-cortical circuitry. Rarely, mirror writing may be seen in essential tremor, Parkinson disease, and spinocerebellar disorders. It has been postulated that disruption of thalamo-cortical pathways may be the common underlying factor in these conditions.

.Thus, there are both numerous circumstances in which mirror writing occurs and numerous theories invoked to explain the phenomenon, but the unifying feature is that mirror writing is nearly always carried out with the left hand..."

Here is a link that might be useful: JAMA on Mirror Writing

o

Thanks elvis. That's really interesting-I never thought anything of it.

o

Could be you have special powers...

;D

o

just seemed like they were promoting their product to farmers.

Mostly "fake" farmers. I doubt there are enough "real" farmers in the US to keep Dodge in business.

o

esh, I think you are right. The kind of rugged "farmer" in the ad is a mostly vanished breed, now available only as a mythic figure. Agribusiness has blown such people away.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here