Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The sky is falling!!

Posted by mrskjun 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 9:06

Has anyone really looked into what sequestration really does? We are going to lose teachers, police, firemen, military, right? The Drug Intelligence Agency is going to lose two million dollars! Oh me! Just so happens the Drug Intelligence Agency closed down last June. This 2% cut over ten years does not mean a cut in the spending we already do. It's a cut in projected increases in spending. Can we live with that? Do we really need a drone base in Niger? Are we planning another war. Can we cut back a little in foreign aid?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The sky is falling!!

I don't know where to begin...I have been avoiding the thread on this subject of sequestration because it is another political footfall follies. Go ahead and nip away at the little things. Meanwhile the two elephants in the budget bidet are entitlements and "national defense" (includes spying services and other devious and hidden expenses).

o

Not exactly true marshall. That is the sky is falling scenario. Small cuts in increased spending spread over a lot of areas, which are not entitlements, such as foreign aid, or maybe a few of these items.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

So sequestration cuts 3% of the budget and the sky is falling?

Wow. What does that say about what we spend our money on.

Take all the money out of the military and let's keep our teachers, police and firemen.

o

Heritage is not a credible source and this is a talking point.
This is not a time to be cutting "spending" that cuts jobs and increases spending for unemployment.
This notion that sequestration is no big deal and will not result in lost jobs and an economic slowdown/possible Recession is really foolish,,counterproductive, ideological and foolish.
And much of it is just posturing and game playing by the angry Right.
They risk a backlash at the polls in the midterms that could sweep them out of their control of the House and end the death grip that these tParty clowns have on our government.

o

I suggest that you do some research on what the Joint Chief's of staff said to the Congressional comittee with regards to the cuts to DOD......of couse they could be lying.

Then there is the furloughs without pay....

I'm tired of spending my time digging up facts for you to simply ignore so I'll leave it to you to dig a bit deeper.

o

Heritage-CEI: CO2 is life!

Polite society does not link to Heritage.

o

Oh, the HORROR of Heritage hokum.

o

Poor hapless K actually inadvertently makes a good point: all this fake sequester Kabuki theater over 2% of the budget.

They really don't care about deficits. Would that the Dems could find some cojones and slap down these Rs and undo the sequester.

Too bad Disaster Capitalism and institutionalized chaos is the goal.

o

Intentionally destroying some 800,000 jobs and cutting pay by 20% to hundreds of thousands more people, let alone all the multiplier effects -

Thats a surefire way to help the economy and get votes next election.

Obama came up with the plan, figuring that the Republicans wouldn't commit political suicide by intentionally ruining the economy. Looks like he misjudged the teaparty, huh.

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 10:55

Maybe the Republicans, those well-known compassionate conservatives, thought the President would blink first.

o

"Then there is the furloughs without pay."

One day a week?
Boo Frickety Hoo.

Just think of it as a tax hike--I'm sure that's a good thing for some!~

o

Maybe the Republicans, those well-known compassionate conservatives, thought the President would blink first.

Could be, but it looks like it isn't going to be the President that blinks first this time.

When push comes to shove, he isn't caving in, so this mess will be on the Republican's shoulders now and they will pay dearly for it in the upcoming elections.

Yes Mrskjun, "the sky is falling" and it is falling on the heads of the GOP/TEAPARTY. They asked for, they got it and they will have to deal with the mess as the rest of us suffer the consequences of a political party that doesn't give a hoot about anyone or anything but themselves. They keep proving it over and over and over again, and this just may be the time that they prove it one time too many and they find themselves suffering the wrath of the voter.

They will deserve that wrath.

o

One days pay means a lot to a great many Americans......20% pay cut. Why on earth should those Americans consider it a tax hike and duck it up.

Maybe everyone taxes should go up as part of sequestration so the pain is shared......

o

Maybe everyone taxes should go up as part of sequestration so the pain is shared.....

Yes. They should.

Some people's taxes have already gone up.

It's never enough for Obama and the Democrats.

o

Right - take a 20% drop in pay, its "Boo Frickety Hoo" [= Personal Responsib-eh-ta; suck it up, cupcake].

Must be nice to be up there in the rarified financial spheres where one can dismiss 20% of family income so blithely.

Not mentioned in all this is that the Republicans insist that Obama cut spending by at least this much, with no added revenue.

Not to mention that it isn't the role or duty or any responsibility for the president to control spending, that is entirely in the realm of the congress - they write the spending laws, they pass the spending laws, they write and pass the legislation for the debt increases, as they did for the sequester. OH, WARGABBLE, ITS OBAMAS FAULT!!!!

And now, they want to force Obama to make the cuts, and then turn around and campaign against him as some brute who cut granny off of medicare, ruined defense, ruined the healthcare for the poor, and so on.

Its not his job. Its their job.

o

Shame on you, Mrsk. Just because the US is funding a Chinese pig poop study while promising to cutback the war on terror doesn't mean it has the wrong priorities. At least give the administration credit for outsourcing the study to China. It was probably trying to save you money.

If the White House can't figure out how to avoid sequestration, nobody can. Bring it on.

o

Would that one day a week put that job under the heading of part time worker, thus reducing or eliminating or basically gutting the benefits package which comes with a reduction in hours? What about the retirement package?
Although with the loss of 2 days pay out of a two week paycheck I knpw we could most certainly get by and continue to live in what I consider to be reasonable comfort even though we qualify as lower middle income people (not sure, simply suspect) - lord knows I learned long ago how to get by on very little and could do it again- there are only two of us with no university tuitions ahead of us.....or food bills for four in a family, or the clothing or all the things needed for a family to live above the poverty line.

What would do us in would be messing with our benefits package. We must have that health coverage, we must. We must have our retirement monthly pay, our equivalent 401K package, the ability to continue to put away additional funds for retirement needs and emergency funds, to maintain a very modest, small home.
If doing away with one working day a week can do significant damage to the above which we worked hard to accumulate, then Demi might be very angry that a few tax dollars could end up being needed by us. We have tried to do the right and responsible thing all our married lives, doing it on our own without one cent given to us by anyone at all which we didn't earn ourselves - but it doesn't take much or long for many in this country to be taken down.

Those are the people I really worry about. Nothing is worse than having dependent children who's rightful futures cant be secured because our reps are so busy fighting for the reins of power that they will refuse to do the job they collect a paycheck to not do.

None of this was necessary - the financial condition of this country which we grapple with was ever necessary. We got to this place due to stupidity plus the grave abuse of power by Bush/ Cheney - supported by conservatives -and it NEVER should have happened.

o

One day a week?
Boo Frickety Hoo.

Unbelievable. And you claim to be compassionate. Once again, it doesn't add up.

o

the US is funding a Chinese pig poop study

Speaking of poop, Breitbart faithful aren't capable of understanding the reason for the study, so they fling poop, and others choose to believe the comedy.

But since we are all concerned about waste, surely the military has plenty of poop to cut. Can't wait for their waste to be cut.

o

Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 12:36

One day a week?
Boo Frickety Hoo.

You are kidding, right? Are you so blinded by your ideology?

As Joseph Welch said to Joseph McCarthy (6/9/54) Until this moment, Senator, I think I have never really gauged your cruelty...Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 12:38

So then, a 2001 balanced budget busting tax cut with a previously agreed too expiration date that was temporarily extended which then only expired for the top 1% is now called a tax increase? The repubs agreed to the tax cut expiration, guess they focused on the greed in the agreed.

o

I'm enjoying the comments from our Conservatives, their glee and their supposed show of power.- because I know by their behavior they are dropping another load in their own tea potty that will back up and cover them with their own mess.

o

Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 12:36

One day a week?
Boo Frickety Hoo.

You are kidding, right? Are you so blinded by your ideology?

Hey--I'm not the one that proposed these cuts.

President Barack Obama did.

But if we've got to save money and he doesn't want to cut his expensive Air Force One trips to trash the Republicans, if he doesn't want to cut more waste and fraud that could be cut, and he wants these cuts in salaries to go into effect--if it's saving money, I'm all for it.

That's not necessarily where I would cut, but he stared this.
Obama was willing to put these people's jobs on the chopping block and Barack Obama was willing to play chicken with the jobs of these government workers.

So, if they lose one day a week, that's unfortunate.
It's not the end of the world.

I lost days of work and it didn't kill me, my husband lost one WEEK out of every THREE weeks and it didn't kill us.
I don't remember anyone feeling sorry for us, and wouldn't want anyone to. We didn't complain.
We didn't make a big deal about it--we were grateful for the jobs we had and the hours we STILL HAD.

If we didn't like it, we were free to do something else to earn money or take another job. Yes, yes, I know tenure, retirement, etc. Life is a series of tradeoffs.

People make adjustments. People Buck up.

Or should.

As much as many would like it, there are no guarantees.

If you want to talk about cruel--look at what Obama put on the chopping block to play chicken with and now the chickens are most likely going to get the axe.

But one day a week isn't the end of the world.
I know because my young family lost a lot more money by our furloughs--simultaneously, than one day a week.

o

I know because my young family lost a lot more money by our furloughs--simultaneously, than one day a week.

so that is your response Demi?

Because, you claim, you and your family had to suffer because of furloughs, everyone else should now have to suffer?

Sounds typical Republican attitude, who cares about what others have to suffer through, I did, they can do it to.

No wonder the Republican/TEAPARTY is not highly thought of.

o

I know by their behavior they are dropping another load in their own tea potty that will back up and cover them with their own mess.

Jumping with glee that people will lose their jobs. So what if they lose a couple unpaid days? No Problem..Oh you said you were a Republican and now you are a Independent....... But, but you said you wanted smaller gumbet then you realized you meant you had to suffer to get your wish.......... Repubs have a Winning message.

There will be a lot more Independents in that load they call a party.

o

For the next few months, the press will be all over the stories of people directly affected by the sequester, the job losses, the effects on the economy, the lost services and so on.

Combined with clips of the smirking Republicans blaming Obama, and Obama going all over the country talking about closing loopholes of carried interest and off-shore accounts and a balanced approach of revenue and smart cuts.

Should turn out well.

o

Posted by littleonefb z5MA (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 13:03

"But one day a week isn't the end of the world.

Because, you claim, you and your family had to suffer because of furloughs, everyone else should now have to suffer?

Sounds typical Republican attitude, who cares about what others have to suffer through, I did, they can do it to.

No wonder the Republican/TEAPARTY is not highly thought of."

Littleone--

As to your comment:

"Because, you claim, you and your family had to suffer because of furloughs, everyone else should now have to suffer? "

SHOW ME WHERE I SAID BECAUSE I WAS FURLOUGHED THAT SOMEONE ELSE SHOULD "now have to suffer."

SHOW ME.

You do know what that makes you when you accuse me of making a "claim" I didn't make, don't you?

Because I and everyone else knows what that makes you.

It is quite apparent that is a haibit you have when it comes to me and what I post.

You notice I don't go behind you and accuse you of making statements you don't make.

I have said the absolute opposite--it's unfortunate that people lose their jobs.

There is no need to put words in my mouth or assign motives to what I say--doing that shows me that people that do that aren't interested in opinions or discussions, they're interested in trashing and insulting people that disagree with them.

So, yea, too bad someone gets one day a week without pay, but they don't have to work, so there's something else they could do that day. Anyway, it's all orchestrated by Barack Obama. If he had not come up with this deal, these people wouldn't be looking at losing salary.

If a two income young family with not much money could each take furloughs at the same time--and for many, many more days off without pay and live through it, others can too.

If you don't like my opinion on that, that's too bad.

By the way, I am not a tea party member or a Republican so you have no basis for associating my comments with them, or vice versa.

Posted by marquest z5 PA (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 13:04

"I know by their behavior they are dropping another load in their own tea potty that will back up and cover them with their own mess.

Jumping with glee that people will lose their jobs. So what if they lose a couple unpaid days? No Problem..Oh you said you were a Republican and now you are a Independent....... But, but you said you wanted smaller gumbet then you realized you meant you had to suffer to get your wish.......... Repubs have a Winning message.

There will be a lot more Independents in that load they call a party."

"Oh you said you were a Republican and now you are a Independent....."

Marquest, as they say, "YOU TALKIN TO ME?"

WHERE have I ever said I was a Republican?

Show me. You just said I did.
Show me.

While I'm waiting for you to find that information, I will repeat that I am a registered Independent.

Also, show me where I am "jumping for glee" that someone loses pay. I have in fact said that it is unfortunate that people lose pay.

So, who exactly is "jumping for glee?"

There is no need to put words in my mouth or assign motives to what I say--doing that shows me that people that do that aren't interested in opinions or discussions, they're interested in trashing and insulting people that disagree with them.

But NONE of you have a right to assign motives to me and that nasty, filthy bathroom comment was very offensive.

Why do some of you continue to lie about me and my associations?

I'm waiting where I said I was a Republican, marquest.

o

Should turn out well.

But the GOP has been telling us that there's nothing wrong with their message; they just haven't been successful in getting it out.

Can't or won't admit that maybe some of its electoral losses (including the White House) are due to the fact that Republicans have been getting the message out -- sequestration being the current example.

o

Seeming like an opera warm-up in here (me me me memememeMEEEEEE!!!) aside,

On Charlie Rose last night (2-25-2013) were two wonderful segments. But I'm not talking about the Betty Friedan and The Makers segment, I'm talking about the discussion he had with Steven Rattner about the sequester, our broken political economy, and fixing this clown show.

o

"WHERE have I ever said I was a Republican?"

Some things really don't need to be said.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 14:25

Cue circus music.

o

Posted by frank_il z5Illinois (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 14:19

Well, it's an outright lie.

It's apparent you are good with that or you wouldn't have bothered to throw in your two cents.

o

You do know what that makes you when you accuse me of making a "claim" I didn't make, don't you?

Did you really type that? Really?

Do I need to remind you of this:
To finish, here's a jewel from you, jillinnj--someone who has taunted me for not "scrolling on by" and yet you have continued to post to and about me long after the following post of yours when I have not engaged you.

Major Pot Kettle with this quote from you, jillinj:

"Now, I've wasted enough time with this nonsense.
I'll return to responding to posters that are worthy of my time and consideration."

Considering the number of posts you make about me, apparently I'm very worthy of your "time and consideration," after all!

Lamenting a lack of substance to discussions with contributions like these is the ultimate in irony, not to mention hypocrisy.

That's YOU accusing ME of making a claim I didn't make. Add in the irony that YOU are the one that made the claim YOU accused ME of making.

So...what does that make you? And do you think I and everyone else knows what that makes you?

The hypocrisy always astounds.

o

Home prices posted their biggest yearly gain in more than six years in 2012.

-Ron-

o

My little contribution on this is that evidently there is no discretion to cuts within a program. Each separately budgeted portion of a program is required to cut the same percentage -- eviscerating some of the smaller-budget portions, while leaving a healthy margin in the larger-budget portions.

So...I couldn't cut my overall grocery store budget. I'd have to cut the same percentage on produce, baked goods, meat and poultry, canned goods, dairy and coffee. (We could have coffee once a week!) I couldn't cut something frivolous, like flowers or wine, and be done with it.

o

o

Posted by chisue (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 14:47

My little contribution on this is that evidently there is no discretion to cuts within a program. Each separately budgeted portion of a program is required to cut the same percentage -- eviscerating some of the smaller-budget portions, while leaving a healthy margin in the larger-budget portions.

So...I couldn't cut my overall grocery store budget. I'd have to cut the same percentage on produce, baked goods, meat and poultry, canned goods, dairy and coffee. (We could have coffee once a week!) I couldn't cut something frivolous, like flowers or wine, and be done with it.

And whose bright idea was it to set it up this way, Chase?

o

Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 14:54

I believe we can lay that at the (clay) feet of the GOP Congress.

o

"Well, it's an outright lie.

It's apparent you are good with that or you wouldn't have bothered to throw in your two cents."

How dare you call me a liar? I am so upset by that. I may have to go ON and ON and ON about it for multiple posts.

o

nikoleta wrote,

Shame on you, Mrsk. Just because the US is funding a Chinese pig poop study while promising to cutback the war on terror doesn't mean it has the wrong priorities. At least give the administration credit for outsourcing the study to China. It was probably trying to save you money.

How ignorant. You clearly have mindlessly relayed this talking point without even having the integrity to investigate it.

It continues to amaze me that conservatives are so disinterested in the truth, and so lazy, that they will pass along nonsense like this that they are fed from biased, unreliable right-wing sources. It's just more evidence that conservatives not only don't really care about truth, but that they need to stay away from it in case it undermines their insincerely-arrived at, pre-selected positions.

I suppose this sort of behavior can continue because other conservatives will also avoid finding out the truth, and therefore won't ever see any reason to call out their own when they issue this sort of embarrassing statement. Progressives, on the other hand, seem far more aware of the potential for sullying their positions by being associated with people who spout absurdities like this, as their positions are based on facts and reasoning, and need no support from this sort of nuttiness. So those on the left tend to check things out for themselves and call out those who attempt to bolster their positions with fabrications.

So, once again, we see a conservative who is more than willing unquestioningly to use the word-weapons supplied to her by a right-wing outlet without even examining them for accuracy. Sincere, honest people don't approve of this warfare-instead-of-discussion approach to issues. It really is embarrassing to see people being willing to be used as mindless pawns. I would think it would be insulting, but there you have it.

o

chisue, if you planned on spending 100.00 a month more on groceries next year and you had to cut 2.3% of that 100.00...what exactly do you think you'll have to give up?
This is about the 2014 elections and nothing else. And frankly, I don't give a dam if the democrats take the whole thing over again. They had the house and senate the last two years of the Bush administration and the first two years of Obamas. What a bang up job they have done. My dh will be laid off July 1 thanks to this ever crappy economy. Let it be Obama's legacy...he's blamed Bush as long as he could, now he is blaming the republicans in the house. Let him have it all.

o

Try again. It wasn't chase that posted that.

Gee, will you admit that error? Interested to see where the boundary for admitting mistakes lies...

This post was edited by jillinnj on Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 17:14

o

"And frankly, I don't give a dam if the democrats take the whole thing over again. They had the house and senate the last two years of the Bush administration and the first two years of Obamas. What a bang up job they have done. My dh will be laid off July 1 thanks to this ever crappy economy. Let it be Obama's legacy...he's blamed Bush as long as he could, now he is blaming the republicans in the house. Let him have it all."

I don't either, mrskjun.

In fact, it may be better if the Democrats win the house next time and have no one else to blame--except George Bush of course. Barack Obama will probably be mouthing "it was Bush's fault" when he is ninety.

I sincerely hope your husband doesn't lose his job this summer.

Housing prices may be rising, but I still don't know many in this region who are confident enough to start businesses, build new houses, or indulge in spending on much more than necessities.

We simply don't know when we're going to be paying $5.00 or more a gallon in gasoline, if grocery prices are going to continue to climb, if we're going to be paying more in taxes, and how we can effectively plan for our futures with so much instability in our economy and our country.

This isn't the country I remembered, where we had hope of a better life for our children than what we had.

People don't know if they're going to have a job or how they're going to pay for health insurance, or what kind of health insurance they're going to be able to have and what doctors will take Medicare.

The times they are a changing--well, that's what was voted for--Hope and Change.

And now we have it.

o

How ignorant. You clearly have mindlessly relayed this talking point without even having the integrity to investigate it.

Hey, if Breitbart is barfing it up and distributing it on the InterWebs, must be true, amirite?

Nonetheless, we can see that the hapless GoOPers are flailing about, have written flailing memos to their base (and I do mean "base"), and the faithful are dutifully flailing.

That's how it works.

o

Marquest, as they say, "YOU TALKIN TO ME?"

Show me.

No Demi that was not about you. Truly I have no idea what you are. I guess those voices in your head are calling your name. Do you see your name in my post?

How about those Oscar winners.... "Silver Linings Playbook."

o

Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 13:04

I know by their behavior they are dropping another load in their own tea potty that will back up and cover them with their own mess.

There will be a lot more Independents in that load they call a party.

Then, who is the "you" to which you referred?

It was obvious that I was the one that expressed the opinion that people may have to deal with being furloughed a few days, to which you referred.

So, who is the "you?"

o

So, who is the "you?"/i>

Lets start here so we can clear this up....

Is your name "Demi" or "you"?

o

Marquest--I am disappointed.

Spike has taught you well, grasshopper!

This post was edited by demifloyd on Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 15:54

o

Dame Demi passeth her judgement, which means so much, coming from such a lofty place, verily.

Do tell us how not to disappoint such a leading light in society!!!!!!!!!!1!one!!

o

Obama clearly has the upper hand. The Right will suffer greatly in the 2014 elections because the majority of those polled side with the President and against Congress. Obama has the bully pulpit, and he'll use it for all it's worth.

Remember you Righties spent four year making sure Obama was a one termer. How'd that work out for you? All your obstructionism really wasn't worth the time and effort. Obama won't cave this time. You tried , you failed .It's all on you now.

o

Why because I asked for a name? I am confused. Is that a hard question?

o

Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 16:06

Why because I asked for a name? I am confused. Is that a hard question?

No, my name is Demi.

I asked you first--who is the "you" to which you were referring in the post?

Is that a hard question?

This post was edited by demifloyd on Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 16:20

o

All your obstructionism really wasn't worth the time and effort.

Right. Just imagine how much further along in fixing this mess that Bush left (yes, I will continue to blame it on Bush since it is his fault) we'd be if they'd actually done their jobs for the last 4 years.

o

• Posted by RpR_ 3-4 (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 16:31

Losing teachers, hmmm, what public school teachers are paid by the feds?

Blaming bush, well, when you cannot face the truth of this current president's failed presidency, I suppose any fantasy will work.

This post was edited by RpR_ on Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 16:33

o

"Despite his promise today that he's "not interested in playing a blame game," polls suggest that doing just that just that would be a very effective strategy for President Obama. In two separate surveys out on Tuesday, Republicans were again considered the more "extreme" party in Washington, and are more concerned with their own ideas than unifying the country. A NBC/Wall Street Journal poll found that just 22 percent of Americans think the GOP is focused on "unity," compared to 49 percent for Democrats. Respondents were divided about 50/50 when it came to the President's approach.

At the same time, a new Pew Research poll says that the majority of Americans thinks Republicans are "out of touch," "too extreme " and "not open to change." They aren't exactly swooning over the Democrats either, but the gap between the two parties is big enough to steer a sequestered submarine through.

The Republicans are unquestionably seen as the party of the partisanship and gridlock, which bodes well for the President's current strategy of hoping they take the blame for any ill effects from government spending cuts. He said today at his speech in Virginia - dismissed as "road show" campainging by House Republicans - that "he's only interested in solving problems" and not assigning blame. He's counting on Americans to do that part for him.

If these numbers are right, the public is already way ahead of him. .... snip

o

Demi said she wanted Marquest to prove..............

Show me.

If your name is not YOU. I have nothing to show Demi.

I wonder..... how ridiculous does this sound??? There were 26 post above my post and my post was all about Demi.

Okay maybe this will help. STOP FOLLOWING ME AROUND!!!!

STOP ASKING ME QUESTIONS!!!! IT IS CREEPY!!!! STOP STALKING ME!!!! IT IS AGAINST FORUM RULES!!!! I DID NOT SAY ANYTHING TO DEMI!!! DEMI IS BULLYING ME!!

How did I do?

o

Actually the latest projection for 2013 is a $845 billion deficit, so this chart is dated. I'm not sure how they project beyond 2017 because we could get another Republican in office and everything could explode again.

We absolutely need to get those Bush-era tax cuts out of there. The longer we refuse to increase taxes to pay of these deficits the worse the interest gets.

-Ron-

o

Continuing:

About an hour into the session, Anderson walked up to a whiteboard and took out a magic marker. “I’m going to write down a word, and you guys free-associate with whatever comes to mind,” she said. The first word she wrote was “Democrat.”

“Young people,” one woman called out.

“Liberal,” another said. Followed by: “Diverse.” “Bill Clinton.”“Change.”“Open-minded.”“Spending.”“Handouts.”“Green.”“More science-based.”

When Anderson then wrote “Republican,” the outburst was immediate and vehement: “Corporate greed.”“Old.”“Middle-aged white men.” “Rich.” “Religious.” “Conservative.” “Hypocritical.” “Military retirees.” “Narrow-minded.” “Rigid.” “Not progressive.” “Polarizing.” “Stuck in their ways.” “Farmers.”

Anderson concluded the group on a somewhat beseeching note. “Let’s talk about Republicans,” she said. “What if anything could they do to earn your vote?”

A self-identified anti-abortion, “very conservative” 27-year-old Obama voter named Gretchen replied: “Don’t be so right wing! You know, on abortion, they’re so out there. That all-or-nothing type of thing, that’s the way Romney came across. And you know, come up with ways to compromise.”

“What would be the sign to you that the Republican Party is moving in the right direction?” Anderson asked them.

“Maybe actually pass something?” suggested a 28-year-old schoolteacher named Courtney, who also identified herself as conservative.

The session with the young men was equally jarring. None of them expressed great enthusiasm for Obama. But their depiction of Republicans was even more lacerating than the women’s had been. “Racist,” “out of touch” and “hateful” made the list �" “and put ‘1950s’ on there too!” one called out.

I'd say the public understands, like David implied.

o

Thank you, Dano!

I was going to search online for that article - Sunday's NYT magazine. Cover was a black rotary telephone with the caption "Republican smart phone."

o

Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 16:38

Demi said she wanted Marquest to prove..............

Show me.

If your name is not YOU. I have nothing to show Demi.

I wonder..... how ridiculous does this sound??? There were 26 post above my post and my post was all about Demi.

Okay maybe this will help. STOP FOLLOWING ME AROUND!!!!

STOP ASKING ME QUESTIONS!!!! IT IS CREEPY!!!! STOP STALKING ME!!!! IT IS AGAINST FORUM RULES!!!! I DID NOT SAY ANYTHING TO DEMI!!! DEMI IS BULLYING ME!!

How did I do?

Okay, marquest.

It's obvious that your answer is that you refuse to answer the question as to who the "you" was in your post when you posted this:

"Jumping with glee that people will lose their jobs. So what if they lose a couple unpaid days? No Problem..Oh you said you were a Republican and now you are a Independent....... But, but you said you wanted smaller gumbet then you realized you meant you had to suffer to get your wish.......... Repubs have a Winning message."

It is obvious that the "you" that you used was not collective:

"You said that you were a Republican and now you are an Independent."

Then there is the rest of the post and because of it's content it is obvious you were referring to some ONE.

It is obvious you don't want to say to whom you were referring.

That's fine.

I get it.

Go and sin no more! ;)

This post was edited by demifloyd on Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 17:13

o

"Republican smart phone."

Before the usual moaning and complaining starts about the NYT being a commie rag, please take the time to read the article. These are younger Republicans trying to change the party so that it's a more attractive political brand. The responses that Dano posted are from independent voters.

o

Hereyago Nancy:

;o)

o

Then there is the rest of the post and because of it's content it is obvious you were referring to some ONE.

Not necessarily.

After (and during) the disaster of the GW Bush Administration, a number of Republicans ditched the party and began to call themselves independents. So the statement that one was once a Republican but now an independent does apply broadly to any number of people in the U.S. I know it's true in California where the GOP now rates third after the Democrats and independents.

o

Thanks again, Dano.

Those are the illustrations accompanying the article. Made me smile then, and makes me smile now.

edited to hide the horror of an egregious grammatical error.

This post was edited by nancy_in_venice_ca on Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 17:32

o

It is obvious that the "you" that you used was not collective:

The sad part of this entire stupidity. Is the desperation and need for one response to be about you. That is very, very, very sad. The 26 people that posted before my response are not begging me to tell them it was them I was addressing only one sad individual.

Go beg someone else for your need for attention.

o

Losing teachers, hmmm, what public school teachers are paid by the feds?

Apparently some states use funds by provided by the feds to pay their teachers.

Teachers and schools

Georgia will lose approximately $28.6 million in funding for primary and secondary education, putting around 390 teacher and aide jobs at risk. In addition about 54,000 fewer students would be served and approximately 80 fewer schools would receive funding. In addition, Georgia will lose approximately $17.5 million in funds for about 210 teachers, aides, and staff who help children with disabilities.

Here is a link that might be useful: source

o

Demi, I believe you may have addressed your question to the wrong person.

° °_____________________________

I said.....Maybe everyone taxes should go up as part of sequestration so the pain is shared.....Deni responded.....*Yes. They should.

Demi, do you really mean that?

o

Apparently some states use funds by provided by the feds to pay their teachers.

This is understood in PA because it is discussed if we have to many snow days. If classes are not in session for a set amount of days the school district lose the funding.

One year we had so many days to make up the kids were in school until the end of June.

o

demifloyd wrote,

Posted by frank_il z5Illinois (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 14:19

Well, it's an outright lie.

It's apparent you are good with that or you wouldn't have bothered to throw in your two cents.

In fairness, demifloyd considers herself more closely aligned with the Tea Party than with the Republicans, because they are to the right of Republicans on fiscal issues, though every candidate she has told us she has contributed to has been a Republican.

o

Doesn't every public school system use federal money? Does that differ by state? I don't mean the amount of money but the fact that they get and use federal money. In NJ, our schools also have to be in session for a certain number of days to receive 100% of their money. I thought it was the same everywhere. Is that not true?

o

So sorry about your husband's looming layoff, Mrsk. Is this a company shutting down, or a temporary layoff? Hope he can get back to work quickly.

Did you see the sky is falling video starring the president?

Here is a link that might be useful: The sky is falling!

o

demifloyd wrote,

...but previously wrote,

That's exactly what Obama and some liberals want--total control over people and their lives.

Therefore, by your own reasoning, you aren't interested in opinions or discussions, you're interested in trashing and insulting people that disagree with you.

Thank you for your honesty.

o

" Did you see the sky is falling video starring the president?"

Given the title of the thread........I'm betting so.

o

Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 18:50

I must say, that the people on this forum who are "not Republicans" are certainly good apologists for the GOP.

They hew to the GOP line very closely, and defend it loudly.

Too far to the right of independents, maybe Libertarians?

So that makes them "not Republicans" in name only?

o

I haven't seen it, but I will watch it. fyi, the republicans passed two bills last year to stave off sequestration, democrats...none. The president didn't even submit a budget, yet again. This is really sickening. The man would rather campaign than lead as president. He lives for one crisis after another, hops on Air Force One and skips across the country campaigning against the republican party from one stop to the next.
His transparency is beyond transparent. Made the press leave when he was talking to the governors? Who's government is this anyway? Is he now the monarch, that the peasants have no right to know what is going on?

o

mrsk, don't you ever get tired of repeating things that are patently not true. I won't even bother to refute because that is obviously your goal, to make people go out of their way to pander to your false statements. I was going to post the 2013 budget but why don't you just go look for it yourself. It's on the White House web site.

o

I stand corrected jz...and you put is so nicely too, thank you.

Washington (CNN) -- President Obama unveiled a $3.8 trillion budget request Monday that hikes taxes on the rich, spends new money on infrastructure and education, but does little to reform the entitlement programs that pose the biggest long-term threat to the federal budget.

o

This is really sickening.

What's more sickening is the unquestioning parroting of the Faux party line.

o

That looked like CNN to me.

o

wxdano the only parroting most of us are exposed to is yours.
Your favorite line is " the parroting of the Faux party line." You may have only used it a few times but since its the favorite line of the liberals it seems to be in constant use. Who are the liberals parroting that the line is being
used by all.
Its like you can't come up with your own thoughts.

o

Its like you can't come up with your own thoughts.

Totally standard projections aside, I assure you all the jokes I made at the hapless assertions in the first Biden thread, at the inability to defend what is written, at the neologisms, and about the mind-boggling inability to understand simple context were all my own.

o

This is about the 2014 elections and nothing else. And frankly, I don't give a dam if the democrats take the whole thing over again.

Sounds like some people already see the writing on the wall for Republicans. They won't gain in 2014 and people are already setting expectations.

Sounds good. I think everyone is tired of the obstructionist games that they are playing - it's dragging the country down more than the Kenyan/Muslim/Marxist is.

o

If I were the President and couldn't get any currently 'serving' GOP's to vote for *anything* with my name on it...I'd be out there trying to get more Dem's elected too. Golly, what if that works?

o

Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 22:18

MK, President Obama won the election, he can submit any kind of budget he wants. It's up to Congress, though, to make it work and send it back to the President.

You seem to have lost sight of that pesky checks and balances thing. Neither the President, nor Congress has the power to impose a budget on the American people single-handedly.

o

You may have only used it a few times but since its the favorite line of the liberals it seems to be in constant use.

I just figured it was because Rush knows his base--
"People only believe what they're told, and if they're told a bunch of crap repeatedly day in and day out, that's what they're going to end up believing, particularly low-information people."

Rush Limbaugh

He recognizes it works for him. What's wrong with that?

-Ron-

o

Thank you Mom!

Why in hellO does that fact need endless repeating, year after year?

o

WAKE UP CONSERVATIVES!

Is Pete Peterson responsible for this? Is this what's influencing all the Conservative throwbacks? Is this the billionaire who's responsible for this mess?? Yes, I think this is one of the culprits! Our Democracy being corrupted by big money - oh say it isn't so !

Last year I read something about him spending 1/2 billion dollars to fund an institute. Today I learned about The Peterson Pyramid on Democracy now.

It's amazing the stuff you can learn by watching Bill Moyers, or Amy Goodman....

Here is a link that might be useful: Peter Peterson went to town

o

My goodness, such histrionics Demi, really.
Was it necessary? Did it make you feel better to turn the thread into another all about demi thread.

As the the accusations you hurled at me, good grief, can you not read and comprehend what you read?

Honestly you said

SHOW ME WHERE I SAID BECAUSE I WAS FURLOUGHED THAT SOMEONE ELSE SHOULD "now have to suffer."

SHOW ME.

and then added the following

you do know what that makes you when you accuse me of making a "claim" I didn't make, don't you?

It is quite apparent that is a haibit you have when it comes to me and what I post.

You notice I don't go behind you and accuse you of making statements you don't make.

I have said the absolute opposite--it's unfortunate that people lose their jobs.

So, yea, too bad someone gets one day a week without pay, but they don't have to work, so there's something else they could do that day. Anyway, it's all orchestrated by Barack Obama. If he had not come up with this deal, these people wouldn't be looking at losing salary.

If a two income young family with not much money could each take furloughs at the same time--and for many, many more days off without pay and live through it, others can too.

If you don't like my opinion on that, that's too bad.

By the way, I am not a tea party member or a Republican so you have no basis for associating my comments with them, or vice versa.

Well Demi, I don't know what that makes me, and I doubt anyone other than your supporters that would have any idea about what that makes me; especially since you are now accusing me of saying something, posting something that I didn't say and post.

Re read what I posted, Demi. I didn't accuse of anything, I posed a question to you. did you not see the question mark in that statement, it certainly is clear enough, so let me repost here exactly what I said, maybe you can then understand it.

Posted by littleonefb z5MA (My Page) on Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 13:03

No wonder the Republican/TEAPARTY is not highly thought of.

Do you understand now?

So what does that make you Demi, when you accuse someone else of making statements that they didn't make and it is you that is actually doing it.

Projection isn't pretty, you should try and learn that and accept the infamous "personal responsibility" stuff that you so frequently speak of.

Yup, you are personally responsible for your own words, even when they come back to bite you in the rear and can easily be quoted right back at you.

o

So what does that make you Demi, when you accuse someone else of making statements that they didn't make and it is you that is actually doing it.

demi seems to be making a habit of that, doesn't she?

I think it was facto that had the best line:

Dr. Jekyll and Mrs. Floyd

Really very fitting. I don't even think she realizes she accuses others of doing exactly what she does. And it's getting worse. She actually cut and paste something SHE said and called me a hypocrite for saying it. And she called me mentally ill...

o

Will you please stop your gang-rapping demi. This has not been a pretty sight and really distracts from dumping on the OP.

o

Will you please stop your gang-rapping demi.

Marshall it is a little difficult when she chase you down jump around your neck screaming "why are you talking about me." "Show me where I said that" when she is the last thing on your mind in a response.

I do agree it has gotten to the point where it is best to ignore SOB and do not give the needed/wanted attention no matter how much they beg for the attention.

o

Plus she gets all the attention she craves.

Speaking of dumping on the OP, Larry Summers on Charlie Rose last night, lots of interesting things to say about our political economy and lots of interesting ways to say them.

o

Darn, I miss staying up late enough to watch Charlie Rose. And Larry Summers is a smart man, if feckless at the wrong time early in Obama's first term.

And yes, I know, I can watch Rose at any other time via the internet.

o

I was going to go to bed but he was just too good, not letting Charlie interrupt or drone on - then Salman Khan was on after. Good show.

o

Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 15:35

Posted by momj47
"I must say, that the people on this forum who are "not Republicans" are certainly good apologists for the GOP.

They hew to the GOP line very closely, and defend it loudly.

Too far to the right of independents, maybe Libertarians?

So that makes them "not Republicans" in name only? ---------------------------------No the term is Conservative.

Republican and Democratic are parties not political ideologies.
There are conservative Democrats and liberal Republicans.

o

Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 15:59

You may call yourself a conservative, but you speak the GOP line, very clearly. I would guess the GOP claims you.

o

And I love who these so called conservatives give all their money to...The Republican party candidates.

o

.... and liberal Republicans.

What's that term? RINOs?

-Ron-

o

Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 17:09

Posted by lily

"And I love who these so called conservatives give all their money to...The Republican party candidates"-------------------------------ROFL, oh I am sure you would be ecstatic if conservatives did not vote, which would be moronic at face value.

But stupidity has just rewards and too many conservatives did stay home last election, so now Barry Obama is president again leaving us with a far-left nut-job white boy for a president. (If you call him a black man, you are judging him by his skin color, which will make you a left-wing nut-job racist),

This post was edited by RpR_ on Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 17:13

o

so now Barry Obama is president again leaving us with a far-left nut-job white boy for a president. (If you call him a black man, you are judging him by his skin color, which will make you a left-wing nut-job racist),

That says it all about you, RpR, and it really isn't very nice either, considering you have know idea what is or is not considered a racist or implied racist comment.

o

Barack Obama is far left? Riiiiggghhht

o

Barry Obama ...far-left nut-job ...left-wing nut-job racist...

hmmm...hmmmmmm....I see there are several missing persons ads on CraigsList - apparently there are some villages looking for their idiots highly-functioning Mensa members.

I wonder if we have anyone in this thread who fits this missing genius description?

o

Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 19:17

Posted by WxDano

"hmmm...hmmmmmm....I see there are several missing persons ads on CraigsList - apparently there are some villages looking for their idiots highly-functioning Mensa members.

I wonder if we have anyone in this thread who fits this missing genius description?"----------------Besides you?

No.

o

And it's only missing a few parroted paranoid words, such as Kenyan, Marxist, Muslim... have I forgotten any?

o

obama is cried wolf to many times.
latest AP poll only 25% care about sequestraition and of those most do not think there will be any bad effects.
look like obama is on his way to being eaten by his own words.
Ps if he wanted to stop it he would have met with congress
so no meeting since December. guess it is not so serious after all.

o

So Cob, how correct were your political predictions of about ...oh, say...a year ago?

o

It's doesn't seem like cob reads mainstream news when it comes to understanding things with the President. I'd say cob probably has blinders on when it comes to anything Obama (or whatever the opposite of rose-colored glasses is).

o

We are sending $60 million to Syrian rebels.

That could do a lot of good to some of the programs facing cuts, here in the US.

Tough choices?

o

Yes, how many people complain about the money we send overseas, both in real aid and the troops we supply?

I know demi doesn't support it, I've heard her say so. What about other conservatives?

Edited to correct a typo - how nice to be able to do that now!

This post was edited by esh_ga on Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 8:43

o

To the edge yet again. What a way to govern.

It is also beyond pathetic the amount of time assessing blame rather than addressing the problem.

o

Posted by chase z6 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 8:08

To the edge yet again. What a way to govern.

It is also beyond pathetic the amount of time assessing blame rather than addressing the problem.

So true.

o

At this point I hope that they vote on a one sentence Bill to end the Sequester game.
Kick the can down the road or whatever you want to call it and after that both sides can then blame the other. At least that buys more time to work a compromise, if that is even possible any longer with the Grand old Obstructionist Party refusing to acknowledge our President, a man who they continue to loathe for whatever reason..

OT: And speaking of Sequestration as Skyfall, wasn't Adele marvelous performing that song at the Oscars? Finally there is a female voice that can take over from Shirley Bassey as the #1 singer for James Bond themes.
Adele's voice is so full of energy, so beautiful and so penetrating.

Here is a link that might be useful: Skyfall

This post was edited by heri_cles on Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 10:47

o

Tremendous rendition of Skyfall, thanks for the vid link.

Back OT, they can pass a one-sentence bill to stop this madness. Will they?

o

Yesterday on the NBC evening news, they did a clip on those who are taking a 20% hit on income or losing their jobs. Ending up with the disabled-people factory that will close, where they make the flags that drape the coffins of deceased soldiers.

So as long as the press is keeps covering this, it can't be good for anybody in Washington.

o

Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 12:48

Posted by chase
"To the edge yet again. What a way to govern.

It is also beyond pathetic the amount of time assessing blame rather than addressing the problem."--------------Yes but the by next week the sun will stop shining, puppy dogs every where will become rabid, people on the street will drop dead as Obama's sequester will suck their breath out of them....and it is all Bush's fault!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o

....and it is all Bush's fault!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You got that right. And people seem to (want to) forget it.

-Ron-

o

and it is all Bush's fault!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you do not remember how you got there you are bound to repeat your mistake. It is said.... "learn from your mistakes" for a reason.

o

Yesterday on the NBC evening news, they did a clip on those who are taking a 20% hit on income or losing their jobs.

Speaking of sky falling: I happened to catch the NBC news piece last night on Gloucester (Mass.) fishermen and the hardships from their catch limits. I'm currently writing an article about this issue and what it portends. Utterly predictable and preventable, and just the beginning.

o

Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 13:36

Posted by marquest

"If you do not remember how you got there you are bound to repeat your mistake. It is said.... "learn from your mistakes" for a reason."----------------------------They have very shot memories as they re-elected Obama, so now their chickens are coming home to roost.

At the same time Jimmy Carter is happy as when Obama is finally shown the door, Carter will no longer be considered the worst president ever.
The torch has been passed to Barack Obama, new king of cl-fu...ks.

o

I saw that as well - its one of those inevitable issues with depleting a fisheries stock - there are no winners. The only way to recover is to severely restrict if not eliminate the catch, then wait 10-15 years for the stocks to recover - if they ever do. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. As it was, they already hadn't caught their quotas in years.

But the alternative is let them keep catching what ever cod they can, further depleting the stocks, and going out of business that way. As the resource shrinks, it gets more expensive, they go catch all they can, further depleting the stocks, so it gets more expensive...... and then none are left.

Its interesting to see how gvts subsidize their fishing fleets and what they do when this situation occurs. Canada closed down the eastern salmon fisheries, compensated the fishermen, I believe they do the same with cod but I'm no expert.

Now japan, China, Russia, South Korea - when their fishing fleet decimates the stocks, their gvts subsidize the boats to go fish somewhere else - in somebody else's fisheries.

Alaska has one of the best managed fisheries around. Everybody 'gets it', and fishes according to strict limits on harvest, derived from some pretty decent annual gvt stock assessments.

o

"Obama's sequester" Really?

The President comes up with an idea to force both sides to come to grips with the debt problem.

Both sides endorse the plan and vote overwhelming for it.

Congress fails to reach a deal on the debt problem , even though they had plenty of time.

As a result of their inability to do thier job, Sequestration kicks in .......and it's all the President's fault.

It's like having an agreement with your kids that if they don't do their chores there will be consequences.....and when they don't do what they agreed to do, it's the parents fault for setting the parameters. The child bears no RESPONSIBILITY for not doing what they agreed to do.

Like I said on the Woodward thread , some folk NEED to believe it's all the President's fault. They need it so bad that they have lost any ability to look at the facts and come to an informed, objective opinion.

o

some folk NEED to believe it's all the President's fault. They need it so bad that they have lost any ability to look at the facts and come to an informed, objective opinion.

Absolutely.

o

To have "lost" the ability, they had to have had it to begin with. I'm not convinced they ever had it.

o

I think it's wonderful that the Republicans now have control of the house, the senate, and the White House. Now if one of them would just step up and lead. A leader is what has been sorely missing.

o

mrskjun wrote,

I think it's wonderful that the Republicans now have control of the house, the senate, and the White House. Now if one of them would just step up and lead. A leader is what has been sorely missing.

I wonder if mrskjun et al might be paid Democratic shills whose purpose is to make the Republicans/conservatives/Tea Partiers look foolish so as to keep Democratic support high. I would be extremely disappointed to discover that the Democrats have engaged in such a practice, but the repetitively damning nature of some of these posts from supposed conservatives really looks suspicious. The easily-exposed fabrications, provable false accusations against left-leaning posters, etc. really look crafted to embarrass the right wing.

o

Has she gone over the edge? I don't get the joke.

o

Has she gone over the edge? I don't get the joke.

"The President will not lead we need a leader."

Msk A leader is what has been sorely missing.

What does "leader" mean to you?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here