Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
MSN's new section

Posted by sleeplessinftwayne z4-5 IND (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 9:40

Why does a supposed news website need to post a section for rumors?

"MSN News seeks to give up-to-date information on rumors related to current events, people or even topics/issues of interest. We'll tell you what we can confirm from the rumor mill ��" and what we can't. If we can't confirm a rumor, we'll share what we do know about it."

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: MSN's new section

What is MSN?

o

The only MSN I am aware of is a Microsoft portal to all sorts of stuff....rumors and gossip would be right up thier alley

www.msn.com/United StatesMSN is Microsoft's portal, offering news, sports, money, games, videos, entertainment & celebrity gossip, weather, shopping and more great content, as well as...MSN Canada ,My MSN MSN Gaming Zone, Astrology

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 10:36

Actually this goes right along with some of us wanting to discuss "fact based current events" instead of rumors from blogs/non-news sources.

Just because "it is on the internet" does not mean it is true.

And yet there have been extremely heated defenses of "opinion over facts" here.

o

My customized links page used to show MS-NBC. Then MSN got split off somehow last year and now just MSN shows up. I have to type in NBC.com if I want NBC although MSNBC.com will still work.

I don't like the MSN format quite as well although they seem to be trying different things on different days. The story descriptions loop after you make a selection and the descriptions are much more informative than just a title the way NBC has it. They show fewer sections, one of which is POP CULTURE. Rumors is under that section when the choices are US, POLITICS,WORLD,POP CULTURE. I never know which format will show up which is rather strange. The number of stories in each section varies. With NBC you have to select how many stories you want to see(0-5-10). At the top of the NBC home page you will find their most popular news people listed to click on if it isn't on your cable listings.

o

It is entertainment. I do not see a problem except people seem to be so weak minded that if they see a rumor and they want, wish, need to believe it as truth they run with the story as truth, proven fact all because they read it on the internet.

Not a lot of sane, logical, thinkers out there any more.

o

I think MSN is a news aggregator. Twenty or so years ago access to the World Wide Web was through a portal like Microsoft or AOL, or Prodigy and they tried to keep you on their pages with lots of news and features.

Sounds like they are imitating Gawker - today's gossip is tomorrow's news.

That way they can publish unsubstantiated rumors without getting slammed for publishing unsubstantiated rumors as news.

o

My customized links page used to show MS-NBC. Then MSN got split off somehow last year and now just MSN shows up. I have to type in NBC.com if I want NBC although MSNBC.com will still work.

I think sleepless was trying to connect MSNBC with rumors. Microsoft and NBC are no longer partners.

From wiki:
MSNBC (stylized as msnbc) is a cable news and information channel based in the United States available in the US, Europe, South Africa, the Middle East and Canada. Its name was derived from the most common abbreviations for Microsoft and the National Broadcasting Company.[6]
MSNBC and msnbc.com were founded in 1996 as partnerships of Microsoft and General Electric's NBC unit, which is now NBCUniversal.[7] The online partnership of msnbc.com ended on July 16, 2012 and the site was rebranded as NBCNews.com.[8] MSNBC shares the NBC logo of a rainbow peacock with its sister channels NBC, CNBC, NBC Sports Network, and ShopNBC.

o

And your post says "The online partnership of msnbc.com ended on July 16, 2012 and the site was rebranded as NBCNews.com." Sounds like what I said is truth, not a rumor.

If you read the title or the OP you will notice I said it was in the MSN site, not the NBC or MSNBC sites.

o

If you read the title or the OP you will notice I said it was in the MSN site, not the NBC or MSNBC sites.

I did read it and see you thought it was a news website (your words, not mine):
Why does a supposed news website need to post a section for rumors?

and then YOU brought up MSNBC:

o

And your point is?? If a site has the word news in it without some specific qualifier then it seems reasonable to take them at their word.

The question stands:why would a news site have a section for rumors?

o

Because today's rumors are going to be tomorrow's news.

"You read it here first."

o

It's how the world spins.

Watch "House Of Cards".

o

MSN is not a news site , it is a portal.

A portal provides a "door" to multiple information Web based services....one may be news, one may be entertainment, one may be financial advice, or social media or gossip or recipes......or ,or, or

It is run by Microsoft and used by many as a home page just like Igoogle or Yahoo.com. , and can be personalized to your needs.

Personally I don't care for portals but kazillions love them

o

Thanks Chase, I thought you made that perfectly clear upthread.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here