Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crossover voting in Texas

Posted by spewey Van down by da river (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 29, 08 at 10:02

There appears to be guerrilla campaign underway by the Republicans to get at the candidate they despise the most, Hillary Clinton, by recruiting GOP voters to vote for Barack Obama in the Texas primary. Many in the GOP detest Hillary not only because she is a strong woman, but because she reminds them of her husband, the most popular American president in recent history. On the so-called "Republicans for Obama" website, you'll find this email being sent to GOP voters in Texas.

Attention All Texas Republicans and Independents!!

On March 4th, Texas Republicans and Independents will have an opportunity to end Hillary Clinton's (and Bill's) presidential ambitions once and for all!

Since Texas has on open primary, Republicans and Independents should sign in at their polling place and request a Democratic ballot. They should then vote for Barack Obama. Even James Carville admits that if Hillary loses Texas, "she's done!" Republicans can help make this a reality!!! Just think, no more Clintons in the White House!

Voting Democratic this one time will have NO effect on your ability to vote in the next Republican primary or obviously on your vote in November. Since John McCain has the Republican nomination locked up, voting for McCain or Huckabee at this point will have no effect on the outcome on the Republican side.

After you vote during early voting or on March 4th, you ARE NOT done! Report back to your regular polling place at 7PM on March 4th to sign the Barack Obama list for caucus delegates. In a little known Texas voting quirk, 67 delegates to the Democratic convention will be seated because of these caucuses. This is a full one-third of the total number of Texas delegates. For Hillary to lose, she has to lose the primary votes AND the caucus votes. I urge you to vote against Hillary Clinton by voting for Barack Obama.

Please forward this e-mail to all your Republican and Independent friends so that we can help ensure the Clinton's defeat on March 4th!!!

Nothing in there about why they should vote for Obama. Nothing about his accomplishments or leadership qualities or what he might do for the country. It's all about DEFEATING HILLARY. Vote for Obama on Tuesday, and yes, you can come back and vote against him in November. Clinton out Tuesday, Obama out November, price of gas up, Mission Accomplished!

The crossover vote will probably put the final nail in the coffin for Senator Clinton's campaign. What I wonder is, will the Obama camp see their victory and count on those voters for November, or will they realize they've been PWNED by the GOP?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crossover voting in Texas

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 29, 08 at 10:25

Odd that they do this since the GOP seems to wish facing Hillary in Nov as the easy one to defeat. Or at least that's their most recent BS across the airwaves.

o

It's Obama the GOP has been praying for...

"Two of his supporters, in fact, had come to do just that. Jimmie Williams, 70, a retired oil company worker and an avid Republican, said, "I wanted to vote against Hillary so Obama would win so McCain would go against Obama and have an easier time."

His buddy, J. B. Cain, 65, a retired computer programmer and also a Republican who said he had never voted early before, came with the same idea, although interjecting, "Lord help us if he couldnt beat either one."

Mr. Hickman explained that if they voted in the Democratic primary, they could not also vote for him as constable in the Republican primary because voters are handed either a Republican ballot or a Democratic one. Both men then dropped their plan to vote for Mr. Obama."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/29/us/politics/29texas.html?hp

o

Cavalcades of Texas Hummers, Yukons, and Suburbans, all with Bush Cheney stickers partially covered by those smaller, round Obama stickers.

o

I've heard rumors of this sort of thing, and it worries me. If Obama is getting a temporarily inflated votes, that does not bode well for the general election.

Does anyone know how many states in which this kind of switch voting is allowed? Does it account for some of the last-minute surges in favor of Obama when it came time to actually vote in those states?

Gotta go to work now. Will check back later to see the answers. Like I said, this possible problem worries me.

Kate

o
RE: Crossover voting in Texas toast

"Cavalcades of Texas Hummers, Yukons, and Suburbans, all with Bush Cheney stickers partially covered by those smaller, round Obama stickers. "

Ha! My wife constantly covers her fathers Mercedes conservative bumper stickers with liberal canidates stickers.
drives him crazy, in a "that's my girl" kind of way

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 29, 08 at 11:09

Does Texas matter to the Dems in the general? Isn't it a lost cause anyway?

o
Re: Crossover voting in Texas

• Posted by spewey Van down by da river (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 29, 08 at 11:11

I think dirty tricks and fair elections should matter to all Americans, Democratic or otherwise. Why should we accept that our elections always have to be manipulated?

o

It appears many of the responses to the post are not positive towards it. A mixed bag of reactions to be sure regarding what might happen in the elections (like we do on this forum) but I didn't see any that agreed to go out and follow the instruction. In fact, there were a few positive Hillary and Obama retorts. I did not read each and every response however, so I may have missed one that might have said 'what a great idea'.

It also said it is not an official position of the website.

This is not something I am going to worry about it because it is what it is. I believe most people vote the way they want and not listen to those types of instruction emails.

o
By submitting this message, I acknowledge that I have read and ag

Fri, Feb 29, 08 at 11:16

"Why should we accept that our elections always have to be manipulated?"

I said we should?

All I'm saying is it's a pathetic attempt at making the Texas GOP nationally relevant when in fact they are likely to be irrelevent.

o
RE: Crossover voting in Texas coming

Fri, Feb 29, 08 at 11:21

This is only one GOP site where I've seen posts about this strategy. They discuss it over at FreeRepublic as well, snd likely on some of the other GOP boards. It makes sense, since their nomination process is basically complete.

o

It happens in Pa too. I received a call to that effect but I wont participate even tho I detest the clintoons.

o

Listening to the call-in Right Wing shows, they were talking about voting for Hillary, just to mess up the Democrats.

In any event, it would have to be a pretty massive participation, wouldn't it, with hundreds of thousands of 'sabotage votes', to determine a primary / caucus / proportional representation at the convention? Its not like putting the fix in 50 specific precincts in Florida or Ohio for a 'winner take all' situation, like the national elections.

o

If would make the Texas GOP incredibly relevant

o
RE: Crossdressing voters in Texas

Fri, Feb 29, 08 at 11:40

Should Hillary lose the nominating process, will you really believe this brilliaint strategy to have been the cause?

I just don't think she has connected w/ and energized the electorate in the way that Obama has. He's a showman, although hard working and very competent she's more of a mechanic.

I also think this "strategy" is a bad move. You don't get folks to go out and actually pull the lever for the other guy without the expectation that some small percentage of them might actually turn and vote for him in the general. It would be similar to marketing a product by asking your consumers to try your competitors product for comparison. You risk the chance that some small percentage might actually like it.

o
RE: Crossover voting in Texas by GOP

Fri, Feb 29, 08 at 11:49

Should Hillary lose the nominating process, will you really believe this brilliaint strategy to have been the cause?

No, I don't think it would be only cause.

I do think, if the Texas primary is a narrow one, the influx of Republican voters out to "defeat Hillary" could throw that primary. Crossover voting has long been used here in Tennessee with deadly effect.

I do agree that Obama is a showman.

o

No surprise to any of us paying attention. I remember back in Nevada an Obama precinct captain was distributing pamphlets urging Republicans to become Democrats for A Day to vote against Hillary. On talkleft.com a couple of WI residents were reporting that Republicans were giving themselves high fives on blogs and talk radio for getting the vote out against Hillary. Seems they're doing it in all the primaries since most of them are open and you don't need to be registered as a Democrat to vote in them. I think PA might be the next closed primary.

There are other stories out of Texas of Republicans planning to vote for Obama and voting McCain in the GE.

Here is a link that might be useful: In Democratic primary, expect a GOP turnout

o

Seems just as likely to motivate Hillary voters to come out to beat back the Repubs.

o

Fri, Feb 29, 08 at 15:01

If the repubs really wanted to cause mischief they'd vote Hillary and string out this divisive nominating process for as long as possible.

o

Also, since there is early voting with write in ballots, the nasty Obama supporters can go around and paw through trash cans and get ballots from other people who don't want to vote and vote for them. They might even counterfeit ballots, and send them in by the semi-load. They also might try intimidation; continuously fly formations of jet fighters from the Obama Air Force, strafing with red, white, and blue tracers, 20' off the ground, in Clinton leaning neighborhoods.

o

The Clintonphiles are just looking for an excuse. She lost because of the sneaky repubs. LOL!

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 29, 08 at 15:24

Sounds like the GOPers are so schizoid now they don't know what to do? For a party that actually wanted either Julianni or Romney to get nonimated I'm not too surprized that they're so screwed up. I know that the wealthy GOPers are desparate to cling on to their cherished bush tax cut but I know not what the poor GOPers motives are? They just sound confused, probably by now way too overdosed on fear & hate. Maybe the goal is to push Hillary so far down in delegates that Obama would be inclined to pick someone else as veep? GOPers worse nightmare is the Ying/Yang ticket.

o

Fri, Feb 29, 08 at 15:24

If the repubs really wanted to cause mischief they'd vote Hillary and string out this divisive nominating process for as long as possible.

That would make sense, but then you're talking about wingnut Republicans, and they've decided their strategy is to take out Hillary Tuesday, and then beat Obama in November. There are plenty of comments on Republican message boards like FreeRepublic, including a few making your point, but the "Vote for Obama and get the b*h" wins over the "Vote Hillary and string it out" crowd overwhelmingly.

Comments like

We don't like the Clintons. They're scum. Pretty simple answer.

Just Say No to Hillary!

Stupid Chris Matthews probably thinks those Republicans will stick with Obama in the general election.

I have two friends in Texas who are voting for Obama in the primary (theyre conservative republicans). They figure McCain is already the repub nom (and they dont care much for him so their vote wont count on the repub side) so theyre going to try to get hillary out (they really dont care for her) and will worry about the rest after next week.

Pretty much the same in my Republican circles....They hate the Clintons so much they want her out now. They love seeing Hillary being humiliated....They will deal with HUSSEIN Obama in November.

If you have heat rash and a broken leg, take care of the more painful problem first. I vote in favor of: #1, a stake thru the heart of the Klintoon machine. I think her Thighness will now slowly deteriorate into the night creature that she truly is and will not even run for the Sinate again.

Anybody but Clinton (ABC)

Plenty more such comments on FreeRepublic and other wingnut boards.

This may rally even more Obama supporters to "jump on the bandwagon" since they have an even better chance of doing Clinton in by allying with the Republicans.

o

Living with BO wou;ld be better than a clinton back in the White House.

o

Oh come on now. Living with Hillary would be better than continuing the way we've been going. There might come a day you and others would wish you had a Clinton in the White House again.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 2, 08 at 21:30

You'd think transvestites wouldn't be allowed to even reside in Texas, let alone vote there.

o

Today, Msnbc interviewed several republicans who said they voted for Barack in order to Knock out Hillary.
They also said they would vote McCain in the general.

o

This has been happening for eons of time in Texas. Back when Texas had lots of Democrats, Repulicans voted in the Democratic primaries. This year there was an open and organized campaign for Republicans to cross over and vote for Obama. Obviously, they consider Obama easier to beat. I've heard them say so. I think it backfired on them. The whole thing just inspired more Democrats to get out to vote in both the Democratic primary and the so-called Democratic caucus. In fact, I'd like to thank the Republicans who accomplished that feat! It's brought Democrats to the polls who might have stayed home otherwise. So thanks for getting the Democrats all fired up!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here