Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Human Beings are Never Satisfied

Posted by bird_lover6 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 16, 12 at 10:49

Texas has had one of the longest droughts on record, and now everyone in Houston is complaining because it's been raining for a week.

Including me. Two years of drought, and I bring home a new puppy the day before we get a monsoon!

ARGGGGHHHH

Back to your regularly scheduled hot topic.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Human Beings are Never Satisfied

Bird,

My hubby complains all summer that it's too hot and I have to remind him that winter will be here soon enough. All winter he thinks it's too cold.

For me, I always like it hot. I love summer and in the winter, I have the heat on.

Human nature. We humans whine a lot.

o

After Georgia's drought in 2007-2009 I vowed to never complain about the amount of rain again. I think I have held to that vow pretty well, but I might have slipped once or twice.

Hang in there! Hope you got some puppy pads.

o

I bet you'd just washed your car.

o

It's Mid February 40 degrees out unusual for NYC tomorrow will be in the 50's the daffs in the garden haven't bloomed but are about 7 inches of green that's just not right. The Flowering quince has flowered. The Snowdrop usually last week of January at earliest is already finished blooming. I'm not complaining but some of these plant's sure are.

o

I've always considered myself incredibly fortunate to live in an area with such abundance of spring water, potable water, ground water, lakes, rivers, ponds, streams etc.

o

markjames, I've forgotten in which region you live. PNW or upper NY State?

I do miss a watery world (forgetting for the moment that I often drive along the Pacific Ocean). Worse yet, at the normal peak of our normal winter rain season, the major rivers are not carrying surface water. We've had but a trace of ppt in many weeks. The reservoirs are markedly down in volume and mtn snow pack very much reduced.

When I was a kid in NH, I tromped through the woodlands and abandoned pastures in search of fishable brooks. Amazing how little cold moving water could support decent-sized brook trout. Then came a big drought in the 1950's and there went the brooks and the trout.

o

markjames, I've forgotten in which region you live. PNW or upper NY State?

I'm in the foothills of The Adirondack Region of Upstate New York.

o

I never ever complain about rain..EVER, even when it disrupts my plans and I have to walk the dogs in the rain. We're known for having periodical droughts, nothing like Texas. But as a gardener and lover of all trees and anything which grows in the soil, I worry about drought always.

This has been an unbelievably mild winter with virtually no snow..a few inches and that fell in October, the earliest snow ever and ruined millions of trees with leaves still on them. This has been a short and tee shirt few months. I live with dread thinking if it has been at times 20 degrees above normal for weeks, this summer that same difference will mean temps in the 100's. >>Despite all this mild weather , my hive of bees died.

o

My father and his second family used to live and work in the GlensFalls area. Loved the area although had few opportunities to visit.

o

I've never been a big fan of winter, with the cold and all the issues that go along with ice and snow... but as a gardener, I know how good it is to have a nice, thick, protective blanket of snow to help insulate the the plants dormant in the gardens. And a fresh cover of snow is so beautiful and pristine. My favorite thing, when it happens, is to see softly falling snow on Christmas Eve... or the gorgeous coating and patterns of hoarfrost accenting the trees and shrubbery and everything else left standing in the gardens.

As I get older, and as my disease bothers me more, the cold is just awful, and I spend winter with every bone aching to its core, and feeling like I can't ever get warm enough. I wasn't meant to live where the weather is cold. I should have been born on a tropical island somewhere, with palm trees swaying in the warm breeze, the sound of waves pounding the beach... ah, well... I can still dream.

All I know is that this year, this winter, has been very different than any I've ever witnessed. The temperatures have been higher, the precipitation much less... and the cold we have gotten hasn't been steady.

I'm rather worried that we haven't gotten enough rain and snow... to replenish the aquifer. From what I gather, precipitation has been lower than normal for the past few years.

o

My father and his second family used to live and work in the GlensFalls area. Loved the area although had few opportunities to visit.

We own properties in Queensbury and Lake George, plus have many customers, friends and relatives in the area, so we know the area well.

o

Heading your way!

I've been marking off the days, starting at 363!

http://www.flurryfestival.org/>Dance Flurry. Saratoga Springs

(I'll be out of the office for a couple of days. Please hold your insults until I get back.)

Hay

o

Lily-- how close are you to Johnstown? :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here