Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Selling of a War

Posted by labrea 7NYC (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 11:27

Anyone Catch Maddow's Hubris the Selling of The Iraq War.
It's not anything most of us didn't watch on TV it is a lot of stuff people continue to tout as fact that was in fact a pack of lies..
It was if you can get past your partisan channel preferences excellent!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hubris INC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Selling of a War

Yes I watched it last night. I started to post and ask who was watching but I got so into the documentary and I forgot.

They sold that fear for profit. All those lives lost for profit is disgusting.

o

Both sides of the isle! The patent & continued misrepresentation & out right lying was astounding!

o

Book on the same subject, which I believe Ms Maddow mentioned.

"Hubris connects the dots between Bush's expletive-laden outbursts at Saddam Hussein, the bitter battles between the CIA and the White House, the fights within the intelligence community over Saddam's supposed weapons of mass destruction, the outing of an undercover CIA officer, and the Bush administration's misleading sales campaign for war. Written by veteran reporters Michael Isikoff and David Corn, this is an inside look at how a president took the nation to war using faulty and fraudulent intelligence. It's a dramatic page-turner and an intriguing account of conspiracy, backstabbing, bureaucratic ineptitude, journalistic malfeasance, and arrogance."

But lets change the subject, shall we? Can we ignore the approx $6 trillion this cost in lives, treasure, interest on the borrowed money, care for the 2+ million vets who fought there, opportunity costs, and so on? Can we just ignore this, along with the results of the famous neocon deregulation experiments, the ideological brains behind 'the market will solve poisonous junk from China', the bank bail outs? Can we talk about how we need to cut spending, blame the deficit on Obama? Is Benghazi a scandal yet?

Here is a link that might be useful: link to book on Amazon

o

Here's six that are getting rich from the endless wars.

I'm positive there's at least another hundred or so that are not mentioned.

Yes. Both sides of the aisle love the profits of war, even John Kerry.

Here is a link that might be useful: Getting rich from enless wars.

o

I wasn't going to watch thinking I'd seen it all before in bits and snatches and sound bites and commentary on the news.

But I did watch it, and it was fascinating to see it all put together in a comprehensive presentation. What a sorry lying state of affairs! What a waste of blood and treasure! I suspect we can all guess the Bush II legacy.

o

And Bradley Manning has been detained for almost 1,000 days. Forgotten by most Americans.

o

We have a Pacifica station in L.A. and so the Isikoff/Corn book was widely discussed by the pacifist radio hosts when it was first released. As was the tactic of flooding the news shows with generals who were briefed and sent out by the Pentagon to push for war.

Time to post another excerpt from Harold Pinter's 2005 Nobel Prize lecture:

The invasion of Iraq was a bandit act, an act of blatant state terrorism, demonstrating absolute contempt for the concept of international law. The invasion was an arbitrary military action inspired by a series of lies upon lies and gross manipulation of the media and therefore of the public; an act intended to consolidate American military and economic control of the Middle East masquerading -- as a last resort -- all other justifications having failed to justify themselves -- as liberation. A formidable assertion of military force responsible for the death and mutilation of thousands and thousands of innocent people.

We have brought torture, cluster bombs, depleted uranium, innumerable acts of random murder, misery, degradation and death to the Iraqi people and call it 'bringing freedom and democracy to the Middle East'.

How many people do you have to kill before you qualify to be described as a mass murderer and a war criminal? One hundred thousand? More than enough, I would have thought. Therefore it is just that Bush and Blair be arraigned before the International Criminal Court of Justice. But Bush has been clever. He has not ratified the International Criminal Court of Justice. Therefore if any American soldier or for that matter politician finds himself in the dock Bush has warned that he will send in the marines. But Tony Blair has ratified the Court and is therefore available for prosecution. We can let the Court have his address if they're interested. It is Number 10, Downing Street, London.

Death in this context is irrelevant. Both Bush and Blair place death well away on the back burner. At least 100,000 Iraqis were killed by American bombs and missiles before the Iraq insurgency began. These people are of no moment. Their deaths don't exist. They are blank. They are not even recorded as being dead. 'We don't do body counts,' said the American general Tommy Franks.

o

I unfortunately didn't see Rachel last night. Ordinarily I do but was occupied elsewhere. I have the highest respect for Isikoff and Corn as journalists and commentators and see them regularly on MSNBC.

We had the Nuremberg trials. I can't see why Bush and cohorts are still walking free. Why aren't they brought up on war crimes charges ? We talked about bringing freedom and democracy to the middle east when in fact we brought death, torture, mayhem.

WE were the terrorists.

o

The aluminum, tubes! Oh the aluminum tubes. The good old NY TIMES runs with the ball. Aftermath well there were no stockpiles of WMD's
So shift it to his human rights abuses. Yes we will slaughter thousands of civilians in SHOCK & BS tell the public worrying about the cost they are deluded if not outright unpatriotic.

"Bechtel (lists as a small business)
The San Francisco-based construction and engineering giant received one of the largest no-bid contracts -- worth $2.4 billion -- to help coordinate and rebuild a large part of Iraq's infrastructure. But the company's reconstruction failures range from shoddy school repairs to failing to finish a large hospital in Basra on time and within budget.

Recall that USAID chief Andrew Natsios originally touted the reconstruction as a Middle Eastern "Marshall Plan." Natsios should have known that all would not go smoothly with Bechtel in the lead: Prior to joining the Bush administration, he was chief executive of the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority, where he oversaw the Big Dig -- whose costs exploded from $2.6 billion to $14.6 billion under Bechtel's lead."

"In early 2005 CIA officials told the Washington Post that at least 50 percent of its estimated $40 billion budget for that year would go to private contractors, an astonishing figure that suggests that concerns raised about outsourcing intelligence have barely registered at the policy making levels."
Any and all concerns about cost were called BALONEY

o

I can't see why Bush and cohorts are still walking free.

Sure you can. Halliburton made tons of money.

Note also that some countries have stated that they will be arrested for suspicion of war crimes if they set foot on their soil. Not sure how much coverage in American Corporate Media.

I won't be able to watch the video unless I'm home alone and there's no danger of the fam coming home.

o

In early 2005 CIA officials told the Washington Post that at least 50 percent of its estimated $40 billion budget for that year would go to private contractors, an astonishing figure that suggests that concerns raised about outsourcing intelligence have barely registered at the policy making levels."

Can we talk about Solyndra?

o

Can we talk about Solyndra?

Or the private contractors issue in Libya.

o

Ah, cue the harp music...... remember the plane loads of cash?

o

What the Bush Presidency did was criminal and obscene.

All those precious lives on both sides for absolutely nothing...nothing!!!

Never mind all the money ! Money that put your country into incredible debt.only to be blamed on President Obama simply because he is stuck with paying the intrest on money borrowed to massacre innocents.

....but yes you're right...there is Solyndra

o

But lets change the subject, shall we? Can we ignore the approx $6 trillion this cost in lives, treasure, interest on the borrowed money, care for the 2+ million vets who fought there, opportunity costs, and so on?

$6 trillion and cost of lives bothers me and my blood boils when we get our usual math challenged parrots scream......"OBAMA has raised the debt. Just repeating what they are told. They have no idea the interest that is still costing the American people from that borrowed money for a fake war. It is all Obama's spending like a mad man.

Family lives ruined, children that will grow up without their fathers because military personnel sent to fight a made up war. There has to be a price these people pay someday.

Is it Benghazi yet. What are they hiding. 4 Americans died you know. Obama is droning Amer

o

Did you say 6 Trillion Donald Rumsfeld says BALONEY! Scathing laughter for Mr war on the cheap.

CATCH US IF YOU CAN

"Custer Battles became the first Iraq occupation contractor to be found guilty of fraud. A jury ordered the company to pay more than $10 million in damages for 37 counts of fraud, including false billing. In August, however, the judge in the case dismissed most of the charges on a technicality, ruling that since the Coalition Provisional Authority was not strictly part of the U.S. government, there is no basis for the claim under U.S. law. Custer Battles' attorney Robert Rhoad says the company's owners were "ecstatic" about the decision, adding that "there simply was no evidence of fraud or an intent to defraud."

In fact the judge's ruling stated that the company had submitted "false and fraudulently inflated invoices." He also allowed the jury's verdict to stand against the company for retaliating against the whistleblowers that originally brought the case under the False Claims Act, the law that allows citizens to initiate a private right of action to recover money on taxpayers' behalf. During the trial, retired Brig. Gen. Hugh Tant III testified that the fraud "was probably the worst I've ever seen in my 30 years in the Army."

When Tant confronted Mike Battles, one of the company's owners, with the fact that 34 of 36 trucks supplied by the firm didn't work, he responded: "You asked for trucks and we complied with our contract and it is immaterial whether the trucks were operational."

Won't even go near HALIBURTON !

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 23:01

That was a hellava hike down memory lane, and some folks still want the repubs back in power again? Now what was that definition of insanity again?

o

Charlie Rose had on Dick Cheney the other night. I thought I was going to throw something thru the teevee (glad I wasn't streaming on PC!).

o

Charlie Rose had on Dick Cheney the other night. I thought I was going to throw something thru the teevee (glad I wasn't streaming on PC!).

I saw snips of the interview. I could not watch the entire interview. At least Bush Jr has the good sense to hide.

o

Yeah, you never see Bush's face, but Cheney with his new heart is all over the place along with his daughter, Liz ,who inherited the sneer. Is there a more hated man in America? Five or six deferments to get out of going to Vietnam , but he had no problem starting a war made up in his evil mind. With his connections to Halliburton , how much blood money has he been living on?

One war is over and the other winding down but these ten years we'll be paying and so will our great grandchildren for decades. This doesn't even bring the ruinations of families with their loved ones killed or maimed horrifically. Cheney ought to walk in Walter Reed every day of his miserable life and see all the suffering. He should be in prison along with W and Rummy. .

o

I can't see why Bush and cohorts are still walking free.

Sure you can. Halliburton made tons of money.

It's plain and simple. Obama doesn't have the balls to prosecute the previous administration because he's also committing war crimes.

o

brushworks wrote,

It's plain and simple. Obama doesn't have the balls to prosecute the previous administration because he's also committing war crimes.

I generally agree, though I don't think it's because he lacks courage, per se; it's just a straight political calculation. Which may be worse.

o

We not only need war profiteers prosecuted, we need bubble profiteers prosecuted and in jail. Why are bankers and financiers walking around the streets giving themselves large bonuses?

o

Why are bankers and financiers walking around the streets giving themselves large bonuses?

Well, if you know your bank is about to go belly up, why not cash in? Its not as if anybody is going to come after you.

/Like, Duh.

o

He would be prosecuting half his own party who authorized far reaching powers for the Executive office.

o

Folks, we're in this alone.

o

Folks plural is never alone!

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 17:04

Very Good labrea !

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here