Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Re:Dr. Ben Carson with apologies to Littleone

Posted by nikoleta (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 11:41

Littleone is absolutely right, and I owe her an apology. I wrongly attributed an incorrect claim of Dr. Carson's political affiliation, and an assumption regarding his wealth to Littleone, who said no such thing! My sincerest apology to you, Littleone. You were most gracious in calling me on my error.

Below is the post from Heri that I wrongly attributed to Littleone:
Posted by heri_cles 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 10:45

there are plenty of examples of Obama's reaction to Dr. Carson on You Tube. And it's petty, not pretty.

Citizen Carson is a wealthy Republican physician who happens to be black. He is not an elected official and does not speak for most blacks simply because his is black. He may speak for Republicans and some others in his profession. Now that his 15 minutes of fame are over it would be nice to sit him down and have him flesh out details of how these private savings accounts could replace Medicare or Obamacare and how he suggest dealing with the vast pool of uninsured that impact healthcare costs. He mentioned that wealthy people would voluntarily donate to "the indigent." Is that really a public policy that can be taken seriously by any reasonable person?
---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----

Heri, Dr. Carson is an Independent. As for his being wealthy, I have no information on that, but it seems reasonable that a man of his age in his dual professions of physician and author would have had many opportunities to earn, save and invest over the years. Mr. Obama, ten years his junior, is another hard worker who is doing quite well, reaping economic rewards for his own efforts under our system of government. I say more power to both men, and anyone else blessed with extraordinary abilities and the discipline to cultivate and use those gifts to benefit themselves, and untold others while they're at it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Re:Dr. Ben Carson with apologies to Littleone

Are we going to have another 151 posts about a man most of us have never heard of because he is a successful black man who doesn't like Obama?

o

• Posted by RpR_ 3-4 (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 13:50

Posted by lily
"Are we going to have another 151 posts about a man most of us have never heard of because he is a successful black man who doesn't like Obama?"------------------------------I love how it grates on you that it was not 151 posts of kissing Obama's buttocks.

This post was edited by RpR_ on Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 2:34

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 13:55

This is one poster that wishes the "adults" on this forum could discuss/debate the issues without name calling.

I really do not need to hear "yeah but he/she did it first" either.

o

Thank you for the apology, Nik, much appreciated.

Yes it would be nice to discuss/debate on the forum.

Still would like to know how Dr. Carson was able to afford both college and medical school.

The only available info says that he attended, and the college and medical school he attended.

RpR_ no one was looking for everyone to be supportive of the President.

There are people that never heard of Dr Carson and there are many, including myself, who have not only heard of him, but are quite familiar with his medical expertise, his political views, etc.

I don't agree with him politically, or even scientifically on many issues, and I know quite a few Republicans and Independents that also don't agree with him scientifically either.

Yet we are in awe of his neurosurgical skills.

Again thanks nik. now can we move on to discuss issues

o

"Are we going to have another 151 posts about a man most of us have never heard of because he is a successful black man who doesn't like Obama?"

Gotta keep this thread going until Littleone sees the apology I owe her.

Meanwhile, here's a friendly reminder, Ohiomom. Mind reading is a parlor trick.

Please do not presume to tell others what I think, or what motivates me.

You know nothing about me, and you have nothing to "share" about my reasons for interest in a particular topic or individual.

o
Littleone

Littleone, We must have been posting at the same time. Glad to have had the opportunity to correct my mistake, and appreciate your kind response.

I don't know how Dr. Carson paid for his years in college, but I share your curiosity. Will let you know if I find out anything, and hope you will do the same. I'll bet he had lots of help from a lot of different people and organizations. He's such a stand out, I would be surprised if he didn't win multiple scholarships.

o

Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 21:34

Actually Nik I wasn't addressing your OP since you did not make the comments I was referring to.

o

nikoleta, you are a classy lady. I think you know that and do not need my opinion in that area.

You were one of the few (the only Republican I remember) that congratulated the Obama supporters without snark and moved on.

and

You did it again.....open a topic for the purpose to apologize for an error. Some will run and wait for the topic to reach 151 so they do not have to respond. You have to be a secure person to admit you made a mistake.

I do not agree with your politics but love your integrity.

o

"I do not agree with your politics but love your integrity."

What a nice thing to hear, Marquest. I hope my dear mother (who disagreed with me politically on everything, and at least as vigorously as anyone here) is smiling down on both of us today.

I wish for you a day as special as the one you just gave me, You have no idea how much I appreciated your kind words.

Best regards,
Nik

o

What a nice thing to hear, Marquest. I hope my dear mother (who disagreed with me politically on everything, and at least as vigorously as anyone here) is smiling down on both of us today.

Funny you should say that. When I saw your post the first thing I thought about was my Mother saying....Take your butt back over there and apologize. Do not embarrass the family.

I lost my mom in 2011 and I am still grieving. So both our mothers are smiling down on us. They knew what they were doing. They taught us well.

o

Ah, I do love integrity and class...and then there is RpR around to prove we are all human after all.

o

"I lost my mom in 2011 and I am still grieving. So both our mothers are smiling down on us. They knew what they were doing. They taught us well."

Marquest, you knew exactly what I was trying to say, even though I didn't think I put it very well. Thank you. :)

I'm so sorry for your loss of your mom. I lost mine 20 years ago, and I still miss her. She and your mom must have come from the same school of discipline, which had very simple rules...behave yourself or else!

o

Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 14:38

Posted by marshallz

"Ah, I do love integrity and class...and then there is RpR around to prove we are all human after all."--------------Well little fella my mother died in 2010 at the ripe old age of 90.

My father, who died ten years earlier, used to say I was like mom, I would speak what was on my mind and did not give dam# what anyone else thought of it.

I would much rather be like my mother, than a self-righteous snide liberal like the majority around here.

This post was edited by RpR_ on Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 14:51

o

I would speak what was on my mind and did not give dam# what anyone else thought of it.

Well RpR, you certainly make that abundantly clear with your own "self righteous", insulting and demeaning comments.

Talk about self-righteous and snide.

Just look at the insulting and demeaning comment you just made to Marshallz "well little fella"

and this comment from you

I would much rather be like my mother, than a self-righteous snide liberal like the majority around here.

Before calling others what you have, you just might want to take a look in the mirror and see that your comments are "snide" to say the least, and couldn't be any more self righteous if you tried.

o

nikoleta,
I again want to say thank you, and I fully agree with marquest.

We don't agree politically, though I do think on occassion we have agreed on a few things.

But you are well known on HT to have the class, integrity manners to post an apology when you have been wrong, are not ashamed to do so, and don't care if any "fellow" conservatives will disagree with you for doing it or they never admit to being wrong.

That takes class, pure and simple and it is so nice to see no matter whom it is directed at.

I to lost my mother, back in 2001, just shortly after 9/11.

And her words, which where my grandparents words, my mother's parents where always the same.

"it takes a small person to say something, anything, it takes a big person to admit they where wrong, and apologize for being wrong, saying the wrong thing, accusing someone of saying something they didn't say and not hiding from admitting that they where wrong. It is better to be that 'big person' than the little one. Both of you will be remembered, how you are remembered is what will be different. Always be that 'big person' and be proud of yourself, and make everyone around you and your family proud of you."

You, Nik followed that adivse and again it is much appreciated, yet in the long run, some of us including myself, are not surprised that you apologized. It is just like you to do so.

I'm sorry for all of us who have lost their mom's. It is difficult to deal with, but it gets easier to do so as time passes. It's the memories that we have and hold so dear that keeps us warm and comforted when we miss our Mom's the most.

o

Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 16:00

Posted by littleonefb

"Just look at the insulting and demeaning comment you just made to Marshallz "well little fella"

and this comment from you

Before calling others what you have, you just might want to take a look in the mirror and see that your comments are "snide" to say the least, and couldn't be any more self righteous if you tried."------------As I posted on another thread, when I post here I drop my rhetoric down to your level.
I never said I was better than you, I AM YOU!

o

Well, this really showed who the classy people are and how well their mothers taught them.

Nik, we rarely agree, but I respect you. I DO remember you had the class to congratulate us on the election.

There is a newbie here who has yet to have ONE post that is without snark and nastiness. Be proud. I'm glad my mother wasn't like yours.

o

I suspect that poster may have taken after his father, not his mother.

o

Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 17:03

Posted by marshallz

"I suspect that poster may have taken after his father, not his mother."-------------Do you always make assumptions based on ignorance.
I hope you do not take after your father, Tweedledum the son of Tweedledee?

o

The lack of maturity in some posters is not a surprise.

I never said I was better than you, I AM YOU!

Only in your dreams, you are nothing like me or the majority of posters on HT, something that we can be very grateful for.

o

I was not making an assumption; I was playing the odds.

o

Awww don't talk about RpR_ he/she thought we were talking about Mafuther not Mother. He/she is confused.

Marshal.... I was playing the odds.

That gave me a chuckle.

Nik, we rarely agree, but I respect you. I DO remember you had the class to congratulate us on the election.

Yes Lily that was the memory that has stuck in my mind the most about Nik. She came on the board congratulated and did not come back in any of the topics about the election or argue or any snarks. I know how hard that is when the party you want to win does not win. It takes character and being an adult to be able to resist what happened.

After Bush's re-election I did not go on the political boards for months I was so hurt. But I would not go on the political board and trash Bush or start stupid stuff. It shows you are a sore loser. Nobody likes a sore loser, it only makes you look bad.

By the way Nik you expressed it right. I knew exactly what you were saying. Anybody that has a Mother knew what you were saying.

o

Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 23:44

Posted by littleonefb

"Only in your dreams, you are nothing like me or the majority of posters on HT, something that we can be very grateful for."--------No sunshine that would be nightmares.
I merely copy your rhetorical style and watch you have snit-fits.
Life is great!

o

What a shallow life image projected on this dismal board.

o

Life was certainly better here before a snarky newbie showed up.

o

Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 2:33

Posted by lily

Life was certainly better here before a snarky newbie showed up.

Posted by lily
"Are we going to have another 151 posts about a man most of us have never heard of because he is a successful black man who doesn't like Obama?"------------------------------I love how it grates on you that it was not 151 posts of kissing Obama's buttocks.

Double down.
What goes around comes around.

o

I knew there was a reason I was avoiding this thread.

Bye, bye.

Kate

o

Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 7:00

"I knew there was a reason I was avoiding this thread" ... and I was admonished for bringing this behavior up. "Maybe" now Nik will see what I was referring to, but I would not want to assume.

:)

o
SAVED - Nic's example to emulate

Marquest, you stated it beautifully at 20.05

Despite the heat in this forum for years leading up to this election, Nic chose to handle herself with graciousness and dignity, no easy feat in this forum or country from all those who feel passionately about politics and what election results may mean for our future.

This thread is being added to the list of a very few threads I have saved for various reasons, but the primary reason always being a reminder of something I consider especially important to remember, for whatever reason.

The time will come when its my turn to choose how to handle myself in this forum after the loss of my person of choice in a Presidential election.
I certainly hope I will hold myself to the standard you have demonstrated in this forum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here