Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Karen Handel resigns from SGK

Posted by suero z6VA (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 7, 12 at 12:06

In her best Bart Simpson imitation, says the equivalent of "I didn't do it. It's not my fault. It was that way when I got here."

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Karen Handel resigns from SGK

• Posted by sweeby Gulf Coast TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 7, 12 at 12:39

Woo Hoo!

Now maybe SGK can go back to doing its good works...

o

Some people are still asking that Brinker resign; I doubt that will happen given that Susan Komen was her sister.

o

Hurrah!

o

• Posted by lenam Fitzwalkerstan (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 7, 12 at 13:02

Think she is angling to be Romney's VP pick?

o

Resigns... Sounds right.

o

The ad for her replacement is in the newspaper already.

o

What took so long?

o

I doubt that will happen given that Susan Komen was her sister.

If the board wants her out then it won't matter if she is the sister or a founder.

o

Good riddance.

o

The board just may be considering that very fact, forcing out Brinker as well.

This whole episode has been a total disaster for them and it may be the only way to start to regain the trust of the people is to get rid of everyone from the very top on down and start over again with new people in charge.

IMHO, though, even doing that, it will take a very, long, long time before the public has any trust in them again

o

It will depend on many factors including how long it takes and how it is done...who remains on the board and who resigns...how they rebrand the organization, etc. Other organizations have done it - some more successfully than others. But I don't think Brinker is going to go willingly so that may just put the nail in the coffin for Komen.

o

• Posted by sweeby Gulf Coast TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 7, 12 at 16:40

Interesting proposition...

So does Nancy Brinker care more about her position as head of SGK? (That comes with a LOT of social clout in Dallas, not to mention the rest of the country...) About keeping SGK going? Or about helping cure breast cancer?

o

I doubt if Nancy Brinker will step down as board chair. The damage is already done. I doubt if her going away will solve the problem they now have. Komen has virtually alienated all of its donor base - those who think it was wrong to defund PP and those who think it is wrong to fund PP. There may be some neutrals in the crowd but there can't be many who don't have an opinion on this one.

I don't know what the answer is but of one thing I am certain, they need to hire a crisis manager and have Brinker and others STOP TALKING!

o

My guess is, that at this point in time, Nancy Brinker will not step down on her own, will fight "tooth and nail" to stay in the position she is in.

Until someone can get through to her what has happened with this absurd decision that was made, then rescinded, and the long term financial disaster that has been made, she is going to stay right where she is and think that she is "perfect, infallible, and everything will be fine now."

Reality is that nothing is ever going to be the same for Komen. They destroyed themselves in a split second with what they did and there is no way to return to what they once where.

Once Nancy Brinker is made to realize how destructive a force she is to Komen, and reality finally sinks in, she and most of the others will be gone from Komen and they will have to start from the bottom up to rebuild their name and charity.

What once started out to be one of the best charities in the country and a devoted woman running it, has become a total disaster, run by people who have such "bloated heads" that they think they can do anything, get away with anything and no one will be the wiser, will care and everything will be just fine.

In the mean time, until this happens, those that have been donating to Komen all these years will not be around anymore and will be donating to breast cancer elsewhere.

It may be that this is the end of Komen, all because Nancy Brinker et all allowed greed, money and power amongst other things to get in the way of all the good they started out doing, where doing and could continue to do.

Personally, they haven't gotten my money for more than 10 years and will not be getting any money from me now or anytime in the future.

There are far to many other breast cancer charities that I and others can donate to.

o

Good move. Now they need to take a good, long look at themselves.

I was in Safeway today, and all the SGK products were sitting untouched on the shelves. Guess we'll see them in the clearance bins soon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trust them?

o

Let's see. It all depends on what the BOD does. Their responsibility is to the organization, not their "friends" or the ED or the founder so if they don't take bold, decisive actions to regain public confidence then Komen is sunk.

I have seen organizations come back but it is only when they had strong boards that made some tough moves and didn't let personal loyalties, or in this case politics,get in the way. Their actions will determine whether Komen can withstand this storm and in what capacity. Komen shot themselves in the foot, possibly with the BOD's blessing, so I am not very optimistic.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here