Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fly the friendly skies?

Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 12:18

I can "guess" what some of you would do, and I tried to imagine a total stranger striking my toddler. I would "turn his other cheek with the back of my hand".

Shame on him!

Here is a link that might be useful: source of course

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fly the friendly skies?

I know what MY immediate reaction would be... but I'd have to ask myself the question, "would the guy suck it up as his just due? Or would he turn around and drag ME into court for assault?"

There's just no telling what the reaction of today's average person might be.

o

Note what this genius called the toddler. I'm quite sure he wouldn't have slapped my kid and he would have been silent had I been on the plane and walked back there. Not man enough to anything else.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 12:48

Jodi that would not even cross my mind, my first reaction would be to protect/defend my child consequences be darned.

Having a man put his hands on you when you are a grown woman is bad enough, having a man take that rage out on a toddler is criminal.

Guess we would be sharing "twin cells", cause no how no way do you put your hands on one of mine in anger.

o

Think my first reaction would be to protect and comfort my child. I doubt in that situation I would react physically both because it would further upset the child and because of the landing, seat belt , danger to others thing.

But I would be one very upset lady....would not be a pretty scene and I would go after him to the full extent of the law.

Assault is assault , but when done to a child I think it comes to the level of abuse, that and the racial slur........the @$$ deserves the maximum penalty under the law....which probably isn't much.

o

• Posted by rosie NE Georgia 7A/B (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 16:21

Agree with Chase that my first concern would be my child. Beyond furious as I'd be initially, by the time I made sure my little one was feeling comfy and secure again, I'd inevitably be wondering if there was something seriously wrong with the guy. Much as I might want to take a long swing at him with a shovel, I wouldn't send an unbalanced or seriously troubled person go to jail, even a nasty, mean one. Depending. It wouldn't be the first time I just walked away.

Sounds like this one also got plenty of negative feedback from the other passengers, so the good guys definitely outnumbered the bad.

o

Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 16:55

As nice as that sounds, I doubt you would have the option of "walking away" from an unbalanced or seriously troubled" person" who just attacked/hit you.

And it seems the other passengers weren't too worried about seat belts when when they stepped in and offered the mother assistance.

o

Ohiomom, the law doesn't always work as it was designed to... we can't protect our children from a jail cell, or if DCFS takes them and stuffs them in foster care, and if we get arrested for assaulting the offender, that's where we might end up.

So, sometimes we have to think of the possible consequences first, and instead of gaining instant gratification from striking the offender, we have to suck it up, and could instead notify the authorities on the plane... there's always an Air Marshall flying, no?

That's the proper way to deal with such a situation, I would think.

However, I doubt anyone would slap any toddler we were with... if you ever met my old man, you'd understand what I mean. He just looks like you wouldn't want him as an enemy! ;-)

o

Holy smokes. I'm trying to picture how this happened. Where was the little one seated? In mom's lap or on his own? Right next to the stranger, with mom on the other side? I thinking yes, the child was in the middle, or else the guy would have to have reached over the mother in order to reach the child.

That's just crazy. I definitely wouldn't do anything at all to the bad man, physically. I would definitely press charges. It's good that there are witnesses.

o

First, I would comfort my child. After that, I really have no idea. My blood is boiling from just reading the story.

I also wonder what I would do if I was another passenger on the plane and witnessed it. I am not a violent person. I don't condone violence. But, it would be difficult to witness that and not lash out at that piece of crap. At the very least, I would make sure to be a witness for the authorities when the plane landed.

o

Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 17:15

Jodi I guess my first reaction would be "defense" because of being in this situation in the past.

Can I hand my child off to the stewardess and then "go for the guys throat"? (^_^) (that was humor)

o

maybe she should controlled her child properly. screaming children on airplanes should be banned.

o

Cob,

How exactly do you force a 2 year old to stop crying?

o

Wait; he'll stop eventually ;-)

o

The proper thing for the other guy to do is to help to congenially divert the child from upset to assist in quieting him/her. The mother needed to protect the child in this instance as the perpetrator was vociferously and physically committing a hate crime (he could be heard 12 rows away) and there was blood drawn. The result will be court and a likely conviction on federal charges where hopefully the judge will not be lenient. Will not be well liked in a prison setting. Very bad life choices for this bigot.

o

frank_il very simple you put a pacifier in the child's mouth or food.

o

Classy as always.

o

This guys name is *Joe Rickey* Something and he calls the child an *N* word and he is from Idaho.
What further explanation is needed. We all know what he is.Lock him up.
I hope he pays well for this. A little jail time with in a multi-racial facility would do just fine.

If the plane was getting ready to land the poor little guy could have been having ear pressure problems. Poor baby....

o

Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 21:24

The "guy" is a 60 year old executive .... and as far as quieting a 19 month old by "sticking something" in his mouth, I have no words.

The passenger that got out of his seat not only heard the comments made to the mother but saw this old guy slap a baby across the face.

He is being charged with "simple assault" and might get a year in jail.

o

Having a man put his hands on you when you are a grown woman is bad enough, having a man take that rage out on a toddler is criminal.

Big time. I'm actually surprised the prosecutor isn't charging him with a hate crime because of the comment.

o

I have no words.

I do I just can't use then on here without getting banned.

o

Ohio: " "sticking something" "

I can't find that quote?

o

as for the guy's actions clearly wrong.

well I have heard that on several occasion that parents with screaming kids were forced to take another flight because they could not keep there kids quiet and it was annoying other passengers. As for sitting next a scream child or any child I would have asked for another seat. people with kids need to know how to keep them under control. hence the reason some parent use sensitives to keep there kids quiet on airplanes. Also parents with misbehaving kids are shunned and banned from many places such as movies, restaurants,and etc. Hence reason I have rarely eaten out with my 5 year old niece in last 3 years. She misbehaves in public. to point that my brother and his wife have had to leave places.

ps there are federal regulation about disturbing other passengers it does not matter the age of person causing the problem.

But shall we remember Jeffery's action described by Bill Cosby
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs0cYJUqJys

This post was edited by thegreatcob on Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 1:42

o

"As for sitting next a scream child or any child I have asked for another seat"

Could they understand you?

Seriously though, it amazes me that you try to justify any aspect of this. The toddler's ears could have been popping. There are many number of reasons that the 2 year old could be crying.

o

Given the physics of flying and the fact that toddlers sometimes have earaches, which would compound things, there may be no consoling a particular toddler on a flight... instead of being the usual impatient adult, we may want to find out first what the issue is... it may have nothing to do with an irresponsible parent and everything to do with a sick child.

People are too often quick to jump to conclusions, and too often way too impatient and worried about their own comfort.

How would we feel if we were sick and traveling?

Young children seldom cry for no reason.

o

so great cob "ps there are federal regulation about disturbing other passengers it does not matter the age of person causing the problem."

are you suggesting the child be charged?

o

youngquinn no i am suggesting a child be charged. I am only suggesting a child can kicked off a plane like any other passenger. As for child ear popping because of flight parent responsibility to keep child under control.

jodik comfort is part the travel experience. If child is sick they should not be on the plane.

o

Being trapped in a confined space with a fussy kid does test one's sanity and patience, even if you're related to the child. However, that doesn't mean you get to smack the kid, as much as you may fantasize about it.

Additionally, the verbal abuse that Joe Rickey heaped on the kid was way over the top. He deserved to be arrested.

o

How does one kick anyone off a plane in flight????

Someone who thinks you simply "put" a pacifier or food in a crying 19 month old's mouth has never tried......unless of course the child was crying because they wanted either. Not likely the case here.

o

maybe she should controlled her child properly. screaming children on airplanes should be banned.

Not for nothing, but that's an ignorant remark. If you notice in the article, the toddler started crying as they started their descent, which means the changing air pressure was causing the child pain in the ears. OF COURSE they're going to cry! You're going to be landing shortly, deal with it for 15-20 minutes!! BE A GROWN UP! Or, at the very least ACT like one.

o

I fly a lot and I prefer Southwest Airlines because we all sort ourselves out and if we don't want to be near a kid we aren't. Other airlines with their assigned seats allows you to get stuck next to someone who may not realize (or not care) that kids go in the back to minimize who gets annoyed.

However I've never been on a plane where we do more than just look at each other in annoyance at a little one crying. Slapping a kid and using the N word is simply out of control. Let us hope for a large fine, ban from flying on that airline, and (likely) probation. Felony conviction would be nice so he can't purchase any more guns, but don't count on it.

This post was edited by WxDano on Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 13:05

o

I would agree, Bill... as adults, we should be more understanding of the occasional issues that young children and their parents have to deal with.

Yes, it's uncomfortable to listen to a child crying... but no one ever said that YOUR comfort came before anyone else's! What, do you think you're the only one that hears it? Put yourself in the child's place for a moment... how do you think he or she feels?!

If you can't deal with a crying kid for a short amount of time, you have issues of your own that need sorting out!

o

Hundley was suspended, pending investigation, from his job as president of Unitech Composites and Structures (AGC Aerospace and Defense Composites Group - Unitech's parent company).

The company has a personal conduct policy.

o

• Posted by RpR_ 3-4 (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 15:55

If you do a net search on this case, you will find the hitter has had violence and drinking problems in the past.

This may come out very badly for him.

o

As it should........

o

I was just reading the article on Yahoo. One of the commenters posted this:

I did some research on this guy, Hundley. Last year he got a DUI. In 2007 he was covicted of assaulting his girlfriend. He seems to have and alcohol and anger problem. Oh, and he's a racist.

P.S. The company he works for, Unitech in Idaho, has suspended him. Good for them.

-Ron-

o

As much flying as I had to do for my employment I have seen it all. But never anyone hitting a child.

The article says he turned around so it sounds like he was sitting in front of her. It also sounds like she did not have a chance to do anything to him the other passengers took care of her.

I hope he gets every thing they can possible do to him in triple amounts.

o

It was just reported that the man has lost his employment, presumably over this incident.

From the report, it appears as though this man has issues with alcohol, racism, and patience... to name a few.

The mother of the child relates holding him at the rear of the plane until told to be seated for landing, presumably because the child was crying or fussing, and she didn't want to disturb the other passengers. Her actions are those of a conscientious mother. What more could she have done?

Racism entered the picture when the man said, "Shut that "racial slur" baby up!" I would assume this led to his lost employment. That's a lot of hate to direct at a 3 year old child.

It was also reported that the man reeked of alcohol.

o

Made ABC, CBS, NBC, and the local FOX affiliate, all reporting that he was fired, and Federal charges are pending.

o

Hello Everyone,

hi Jodi... Just wanted to chime in here for a quick word. I am flying the " friendly skies" for a living and just today I had a baby in a mom's arms ( lap child) along with another young child seated next to her. this baby cried the entire flight. It would ease up just a little, then a full blown cry that went through everyone on board. I tried to help, but it was obvious that something was wrong with the baby. Most passengers wouldn't t be able to tell, but I have been flying for 18 years. Sometimes there isn't anything we can do to comfort these children. I do feel so sorry for the rest of the passengers...they are paying a good price for their tickets and I understand they want a " peaceful " flight, but things happen.

This man who did this to this child will have lots of Federal charges against him. Not only physical assault, but interfering with flight duties etc. There will be a list of charges with this crime. I'm glad to see the passengers come and assist. People before 9/11 never interfered with flight operations, now they are more than willing to step in and help. We are even trained to ask for help in any situation. Sky Marshall's are not on all flights, so we have to depend on our passengers to assist us with the necessary means available to help us in certain situations.

We are trained to look for special people to help when boarding... I have only needed to ask for help one time in 18 years of flying. Thank goodness.

I agree that there is no excuse for hitting a child and i still can't believe this would happen. He would have been strapped down and help until authorities were waiting to enter the plane and take him out. People always give me names and business cards when they see things happening. They know we need to have some backup.

Thank you to all of those people who fly and do take an interest in what we have to deal with everyday. It isn't easy, but no mother should ever have to deal with an idiot like that. Thank goodness he is seeing what it looks like inside the "station..."

Just a lurker....until now...

Laura

o

As for child ear popping because of flight parent responsibility to keep child under control.

Are you kidding? Did you actually say (type) that? And how, exactly, would you "control" a toddler that is in pain? What would you do? I just cannot believe you actually typed those words, presumably read them in preview, and actually hit submit.

I find as I get older, I have less tolerance for screaming children. If in a restaurant, for example, I would expect the parent to remove the child until they stop crying. But, this was on an airplane!!!!!! Do you understand the difference????? What would you like them to do???? Open the door, and boot the kid off the plane????

I mean, really, the stupidity in this world is just astounding at times.

Very good to hear that he will face a long list of charges. Thanks for that info, Laura (and welcome!).

Good for his employer!

o

Thank you, Laura... and welcome! :-)

Yes, the stupidity of some adults is often astounding... with that, I will agree!

The child acted like your average 3 year old would in a similar situation ... but the man in question acted quite out of character for what should be your average adult. I'm glad consequences will be harsh.

o

I don't know what I would've done. Probably comforted and ached for the already crying child. Poor Jonah. I'm not one for punitive damages except under extreme circumstances, but I sure would classify strking someone one tenth your size out of anger as an extreme circumstance. I hope she gets a civil action going and wins.

There are instances where nothing would stop a child from crying. Obviously, cob has never had a child with an under-developed pyloric valve (me! I did. Luckily he slept all the way to New Orleans on that flight. A rare moment of quiet rest). Talk about nothing soothing him. Until we got Zantac. ah.

Or if they've ever even had a child at all?, the other caregiver was the one who did all the work under threat of "get that child quiet!". I just cannot fathom any parent saying what cob has said.

I am the youngest of six children. Each sibling (exept one) had multiple children. I worked in a daycare setting. I have had my own child. I have literal training in child rearing. I would classify myself as more trained than many, so I feel highly qualified to say, pacifiers cannot be shoved in the mouth of a child who is hurting (a real possiblilty in this scenario) and it quiet them. Very uninformed opinion. It has to be. I can't fathom any other reason.

I guess I am just dumbfounded.

o

I don't think you have to have had children to understand how a toddler might react to their ears hurting from the pressure. All you have to do is have the ability to imagine being in pain and not having the ability to understand why it hurts so bad.

All it takes is a little empathy. Nothing more.

o

You're right Jill, you don't have to have children to understand the pain or have empathy, but (and it seems like you're addressing me), it does take having a child to understand there are circumstances when a baby cannot be quieted. Which was my only point with the bottom section. I hope that clarifies it up for me if anyone misunderstood.

Wouldn't that be great if cob was right? Colicky baby, pop in a pacifier. Over tired? Pacifier. Teething? Pacifier (which would be the worst thing to do-achy teeth likely don't want anything touching them except numbing medicine). Pure fantasy!

o

Yes, rob, I was referring to your comment. Was trying to point out that not having children is no excuse for the comment made by cob. A total lack of empathy for anyone is the only explanation. As you say, there is tons that one that never had a child doesn't know about children, but understanding how a small child in pain would react is not one of them.

o

That is true. I still agree with you. Don't you wonder how they can say what they're saying? I'm blown away. Blown away!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here