Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Phony corporate outrage story o' the day

Posted by david52 z5CO (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 7, 13 at 12:56

snip -

Supermarket owners argue a pending federal food-labeling rule that stems from the new health care law would overburden thousands of grocers and convenience store owners -- to the tune of $1 billion in the first year alone.

Store owner Tom Heinen said the industry's profit margins already are razor thin. "When you incur a significant cost, there is no way that that doesn't get passed on to the customer in some form," he said.

The rule stems from an ObamaCare mandate that restaurants provide nutrition information on menus. Most in the restaurant industry were supportive of the idea, but when the FDA decided to extend the provision to also affect thousands of supermarkets and convenience stores, the backlash was swift.

The proposed regulation would require store owners to label prepared, unpackaged foods found in salad bars and food bars, soups and bakery items. Erik Lieberman, regulatory counsel at the Food Marketing Institute, said testing foods for nutritional data will require either expensive software or even more costly off-site laboratory assessments.

- snip - end quote

So, the convenience and grocery stores had no idea what they were selling all this time?

Here is a link that might be useful: why, yes! Its Fox

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Phony corporate outrage story o' the day

My daughter had an emergency hospital, life threatening situation because of a nut allergy. It is a necessary rule. She reads ingredients before she purchase items and in restaurants. It is amazing what people will put nuts in or use nut oil, and artificial coloring, and flavoring ingredients can contain things she is allergic. A meal cooked in peanut oil could result in someone's death. Do they care?

Why do they think their inconvenience of listing ingredients more important than someone's health?

o

Hey, I'm an American, a good, Freedom Loving American. I don't give a rat's behind how many calories are in my 96 ounce SuperSquishee. And I don't think Apu cares, either, as long as he gets his $1.89. Keep the government out of it. Because, you know, I'd rather just not think about this crap until I have to. If I find my self 58 years old and then wonder why I'm 450 lbs and they're cutting my leg off due to diabetic gangrene, I guess that's just the price of such freedom.

OK, enough with the little rant. I think it would be a good idea, but I don't buy the "hardship" argument. There are all kinds of inexpensive or even free recipe analysis programs out there that spit out extremely detailed nutritional analysis of a recipe, even the smallest mom and pop could do it. As far as the cost, that is passed on to the consumer.

o

It's not the "hardship", that's just their smokescreen. It's that they are loathe to reveal the amount of poisonous junk that's actually in processed food. Most consumers won't be swayed by a detailed label, but even the small percentage that are would represent a large profit loss.

o

A better explanation at the link below, from the US Food and Drug Administration

Here is a link that might be useful: Overview of FDA Proposed Labeling Requirements for Restaurants, Similar Retail Food Establishments and Vending Machines

o

And some of you want Twinkies to stick around?

o

And some of you want Twinkies to stick around?

Properly labeled, yes. I believe that people can make their own choices and they deserve the information they need to make those choices.

o

Coming up on another occasion to satisfy that craving for "Peeps". (They do come out for Valentines Day, St. Patrick's Day, etc. all through the holiday calendar year don't they... since they're just not for Easter anymore.)

I detest them myself - second only to Twinkies, but looked them up anyway. They contain a pork derived gelatin. Beware vegans, vegetarians, and those keeping Kosher. And who really knows what dietary fibers and "other natural ingredients" could possibly be.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 7, 13 at 17:06

Some food packaging may not be big enough to label all the ingredients......esp twinkies.

o

When I was tracking paper & pulp products in and out of the US, I was always amazed at the amount of tree-derived cellulose that made it into food products as "filler." McDonald's shakes used to be particularly good at this, I think they maxed out at above 10% wood pulp at one point in the 90s.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 7, 13 at 17:31

Dicot, a few years ago I was complaining here about cellulose in parmesan cheese products in the sprinkle type cans. One particular product is labeled as "100% Grated Parmesan Cheese". Yes, it is indeed 100% grated, but it's not 100% cheese. Decaking agents are listed in the fine print of ingredients including cellulose (basically fine saw dust) and corn starch. The percentage of actual cheese is anyone's guess.

o

"100% grated" means just that? I'll be jigger-jaggered. Now that's nervy--seriously. I wonder how the new labeling will address that sort of subterfuge.

o

Subterfuge, indeed. So much for honesty in advertising, or straightforward anything. Without a degree in chemical engineering, it's almost impossible to know exactly what our government and its agencies deem appropriate for human consumption.

I'm so glad I know exactly what Mother Nature is capable of producing.

The allergy angle is a valid one... a lot of folks are allergic to various foodstuffs or chemicals. A lack of proper and honest labeling could lead to death or medical emergencies.

o

Can't always trust those labels.
Findus beef lasagna contained 100% horse meat.

Here is a link that might be useful: you're really eating horse meat

o

So, the convenience and grocery stores had no idea what they were selling all this time?

Amazing, isn't it? As CP said:

It's that they are loathe to reveal the amount of poisonous junk that's actually in processed food.

Duh! ;-)

One of the wonderful things about NY, is that the calories have to be listed on everything. No, it doesn't tell you everything but it does help to make a somewhat more informed choice when buying lunch.

o

Ha, we are all learning the meaning of 'drind' - that is, bits of hide, bone, gristle and general awfulness to make our horseburgers stretch a little further. Amusing to watch the all-round buck-passing and squirming as it appears that provenance has no meaning in the processed fodder industry.

o

campanula and people still wonder why the USA banned butchering horse meat for export 5 years ago.
the companies in usa producing pink slime went out business
last year.
Looks like Jamie Oliver had same effect in UK as USA nothing.
He was fighting the wrong thing. The UK needs a modern food industry instead of and Industrial one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here