Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Note to Santorum: The US has no religion test for public office

Posted by terriks 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 20, 12 at 13:23

According to Santorum: "It's about some phony ideal, some phony theology. Oh, not a theology based on the Bible, a different theology. But no less a theology," Mr. Santorum said, to wide applause.

So only theology based on the Bible is valid?

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Note to Santorum: The US has no religion test for public off

He has a selective grasp of his own religion & I really don't give a good crap if he follows the Parker brothers or Milton Bradley rules it should not be the focus of anything yet this demon keeps going there.

o

A new game designed for Santorum, they're calling it LOBOTOMY.

Pass the dead baby please.

-Ron-

o

• Posted by deedee99 z 5 Northern Illinoi (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 20, 12 at 17:12

This comment from a German reader in response to Krugman's column 'Pain without Gain' made me cringe and laugh at the same time. I know Europe has their own issues but I think by the end of this election we really will need to go 'round the world and apologize.

'Are you Americans becoming all crazy flat earth, religious fanatics like the Taliban?

Just look at those ludicrous candidates from the GOP. Not even crazy people would vote for them here in Europe.'

No we are not all like that, just the zealots runnng for office.

Here is a link that might be useful: NYT Krugman

o

I can't abide Santorum, he is a very scary guy but I think he is getting a bad rap on this comment.

I heard what he said but interpreted it differently. I think he was simply trying to say that the President had a theology , not a religious one but a green energy one. I think he was simply clarifying how he was using the term.

Having said that there is no question in my mind that Santorum has every intention of bringing his religious theology to bear on all Americans.

The fact that he has an eight point lead on Romney nationally @s mind boggling !

o

Update:

Rick Santorum spokesperson Alice Stewart slipped up on MSNBC Monday afternoon when talking about President Obama's environmental policies. Instead, she called them Obama's "radical Islamic policies."

Santorum communications director Hogan Gidley told TPM that Stewart "misspoke."

"Misspoke".

Yeah. Right.

o

I think if he knew his own language, he'd have picked a different word... but he does seem to know his own crowd, so in that way it worked. For some unknown and very strange reason, anything having to do with zealous religion brings the rightwing nutjobs out from under their toadstools in a writhing frenzy.

o

I cannot understand this religious way of thinking. I am serious, I think of myself as a Christian person. As Christians we would never have this much hatred or say the things they are saying.

It puzzles me. It just seems like so much hate. Are their teaching from the Bible? Hearing the talking points it is not a religion that is familiar to me. I think that Saturday night they were having human sacrifices and sleeping in on Sunday mornings.

I know he is saying things to talk to the base but even if you are trying to address your base if you have any Christian love in your heart these things would not come from your lips.

Do they not believe there is a hereafter? I question the teachings of this Religious Right it sounds closer to something more in line with something other than Christian Religion.

o

There's a notion of progression in addiction that the previously unacceptable unbearable become the norm till the new norms unacceptable unthinkable becomes the norm. It's what allows Wall Street brokers making 6 figures to become smelly homeless people that can clear a subway car with their stench!
A different form of progressive politics!

o

The fact that a person who spews this kind of hate could win 3 states is a very sad commentary on what this country has become.

It is laughable that these people call themselves "Christian ".

o

Which is why I'm beginning to think that our nations' organized religions are the "false prophets" religious texts have been warning about... or something like that.

I mean, look at how it's all coming out around us... and who's getting the airplay and who's getting the followers. It just doesn't make much rational sense.

o

It is laughable that these people call themselves "Christian ".

The new religion is 'Conservatism", which is why we keep seeing the candidates (exception Ron Paul) falling all over themselves decrying their greater 'Conservative' values. Which, as far as I can tell, involves:

- smaller government, except when it comes to women's health and the military industrial congressional war machine,

- privatizing, at great benefit to the recipient but not the taxpayer, of everything under the sun - from roads to libraries to government buildings to national forests to 'security contractors',

- cutting taxes for the wealthiest 'job creators'

- devotion to some 'free market' ideal - let industry and businesses regulate themselves.

Start thinking of it that way - its a religion.

o

Is it required to tithe to the great god of Avarice, I wonder?

o

The new religion is 'Conservatism"

I think you may have a good point there, David.

Kate

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here