Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A David & Goliath story?

Posted by ronalawn82 z9FL (ronalawn08@gmail.com) on
Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 13:37

"The highest court in the United States will hear arguments on Tuesday in the dispute, which started when soybean farmer Vernon Bowman bought and planted a mix of unmarked grain typically used for animal feed."
Source.
I favor genetically modified crops because:
The same process occurs in nature; albeit more slowly.
It affords the potential opportunity to find remedies/cures for human ailments. e.g.
For an extended read follow the tale of Golden Rice.
Can we argue the case here and see if the Supreme Court will agree with us?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A David & Goliath story?

It's so specious and outrageous it hardly bears debate.

I predict the SC will go 5-4 in favor of Monsanto.

o

The same process occurs in nature; albeit more slowly.

No it doesn't.

I agree that the large multinational corporation will win at the USC. This is America.

o

• Posted by RpR_ 3-4 (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 15:05

Such cases have been lost in lower courts.
I hope the farmer wins but I doubt it.

o

WxDano,
"No it doesn't." Does that mean that:-
1. It does not occur? or
2. It does occur but not more slowly?

o

He has an interesting argument. The contract with Monsanto says he can't save seeds and replant. He didn't. He went and bought 'commodity grain' from the coop silo and planted that. Which is not in any contract.

How was he supposed to know that the commodity grain, on its way to some processing plant - was GM?

Does that mean that Monsanto still controls what can happen to the crop after their seed has been planted, the crop grown and harvested? If thats the case, why can't they stipulate, say, that their seed has to grow soybeans that have to be sold to Cargill?

o

@ ronalawn: it does not occur.

I guess if you measure in geologic time, after a quadrillion random mutations and 250 million years, it is possible for a plant to create a gene that would be, say, RR resistant and grow out in the wild and reproduce viable plants and have those plants spread their progeny and then become viable food plants for Homo sapiens, but I'd rather buy a lottery ticket for the better odds.

That is: this is utterly basic biology.

o

For soy to develop resistance to Round Up, ok.

But apply roundup to an entire ecosystem, and all kinds of resistance in all kinds of plant species develops. As one would expect.

Which brings up "super weeds" that now, in some places, require far heavier doses of Round up and mixtures with other herbicides.

Here is a link that might be useful: one of many articles on unintended, roundup resistant plants

o

How was he supposed to know that the commodity grain, on its way to some processing plant - was GM?

Does that mean that Monsanto still controls what can happen to the crop after their seed has been planted, the crop grown and harvested?

This is why it is going to the USC. IIRC in Sask., a similar but different situation occurred where Monsanto won in court, and that was where GM pollen drifted over and the farmer used the pollinated plants' seed for the next season.

It is going to be very interesting indeed, and I wonder what kind of coverage it will get in the corporate media.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here