Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brazeau kicked out of Conservative caucus

Posted by hamiltongardener CAN 6a (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 7, 13 at 13:45

About time. This idiot grates on my nerves and makes the native community look bad on a national scale.

Like most politicians, native or white, he's as corrupt as the next.

Not to mention that the child support problem has been ongoing for YEARS... he was pulling a six figure salary while not paying a paltry couple hundreddollars a month for his child, somethingthat has been happening since the kid was young.

Let's hope he will be removed from his senate seat... no cushy lifetime job for you!

Sen. Patrick Brazeau was removed from the Conservative caucus on Thursday, though it appears he will remain as a senator.

Lorraine Rochon, a staff member to Brazeau, told The Canadian Press the Senate caucus was notified of the decision Thursday by the office of Sen. Marjory LeBreton. She said the move is effective immediately.

CTV News also learned Thursday that police had been called to Brazeau's home in relation to an alleged incident of domestic violence.

The senator who once battled Liberal MP Justin Trudeau in a high-profile charity boxing match -- and lost -- has been under scrutiny recently following a string of controversial revelations.

On Wednesday, CTV News reported Brazeau used his former father-in-law�s address in a First Nations community when he claimed an aboriginal income tax exemption from 2004 to 2008.

Brazeau, who has publicly called on aboriginal leaders to be more financially accountable, listed the residence on the Kitigan Zibi First Nation in Quebec as his mailing address for four years, unbeknownst to his ex-wife�s father.

CTV News has also learned that Brazeau was delinquent on his child support payments. Revenue Quebec ordered a salary garnishment for Brazeau to pay $800 per month in child support for his oldest son. Sources say a second order required him to pay about $4,000 in arrears.

"I am fully up to date with payments I have been ordered to pay," Brazeau said in an email to CTV News.

More recently, Brazeau faced questions over claiming his father�s Maniwaki, Que. home as his primary residence, which allowed him to claim a taxpayer-subsidized housing allowance even though he rents a home in Gatineau, much closer to Parliament Hill.

Canadian senators can charge up to $21,000 in housing and meal expenses annually, if their primary residence is located more than 100 kilometres away from Ottawa.

Here is a link that might be useful: Another black eye for Brazeau

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brazeau kicked out of Conservative caucus

Its about time but I am glad to see the Liberal party discipline their own for bad behavior. Politicians need to be held to a high standard especially by their own party.

o

Its about time but I am glad to see the Liberal party discipline their own for bad behavior.

You mean Conservative, not Liberal, yes?

o

Oooooppps....just the mention of Monsieur Trudeau and I drift........yes of course Conservative.....although Brazeau never struck me as much of one.

o

Oooooppps....just the mention of Monsieur Trudeau and I drift........

Mmmm hmmm, I hear ya.

o

Although I'm not sure that Brazeau will be able to boost his senate attendance record now that he is sitting in jail.

Going for the worst attendance record AGAIN this year, apparently.

o

Wow, I'm impressed. Here, the GOP just excuse and ignore such behavior and try and get people like him elected or re-elected.

o

I'm betting the corruption on my side of the border is twice as bad, but it's good to know a deadbeat was made to pay for his offspring, and that he got busted scamming the government he's a part of. One down... how many more to go?

o

"Here, the GOP just excuse and ignore..."

Good grief. Was there a point to that? Besides the end of a sharp tongue, I mean.

o

The GOP, party of family values and

Todd Aiken

Richard Mourdock

Scott DesJarlais

Newt Gingrich

o

Uh, okay. Think I'll just back out of this one.

As to the OP: what Jodi said.

o

Not in any way trying to be argumentative but would it be usual or unusual for a party to kick a person out of caucus based on behavior?

Edited to add..

Here it would not be common but not at all unusual

This post was edited by chase on Thu, Feb 7, 13 at 20:56

o

Chase, as you probably already know, there are variety of things that can happen. Some resign, some don't. I can't recall anyone being asked to leave or outright kicked out but there are people around here that probably can answer that question more comprehensively.

Then there's the opinion factor, and the question of whether or not an illegal act was actually committed. Court of public opinion vs. real court.

Sounds like the case you cite is cut and dried.

o

would it be usual or unusual for a party to kick a person out of caucus based on behavior?

I'm not sure what 'caucus' means in this case. Do you mean forced out of the party? Once elected, if an official ran as a member of XX party, that's how s/he is listed unless the official changes affiliation.

In the case of a scandal or illegal behaviour, pressure can be put on the offending official to resign so as not to further tarnish that particular political party.

We have associations of like-minded congresspersons who may belong to a caucus such as the Congressional Black Caucus and Congressional Hispanic Caucus, or the Congressional Progressive Caucus, or a caucus that comes into being for a specific issue such as the Out of Iraq Caucus.

o

Nancy, it is the political party. The Conservative Party is an official party in Canada.

Brazeau will retain his seat in the senate, but he is no longer a Conservative member, he is now an Independent.

In other words, the Conservative Party booted him. Buh bye.

o

"In other words, the Conservative Party booted him"

Excellent. That would be something to see around here; it simply isn't done, dahling. I wonder if the ones who quit for "health reasons" or "to spend more time with the family" are actually in a "you can't fire me; I quit!" situation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here