Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Slippery Slopes?

Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 15:29

I've seen this "excuse" offered time and time again when someone suggests a new law or regulation. I'd really like to see some examples of this. If the Clean Air Act led to the Clean Water Act would that count? (probably not an accurate example but you smart folks know what I mean). Give me a good one that makes slippery slope sense.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Slippery Slopes?

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 15:47

Just to get you motivated here's an illustration below. The guys on the second sled are members of a SWAT Team.

o

In general I don't believe in the slippery slope argument. I can't and won't say that it never happens, but in my opinion it's about as valid as the old domino theory that was applied to Vietnam.

I'm sure some would maintain that the only reason that the domino theory didn't pan-out as advertised was due to the U.S.'s extraordinary effective policies in Vietnam...

o

Love your irony, huachuma.
Wish I had an example as good as yours, vgkg.

o

Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 19:49

Wish I had a better example Pidge, huachuma is right it's difficult and I really can't think of one either. Good questions die young ;)

o

Slippery slopes happen when clear boundaries are not set... for example, "Personhood" laws. Even though the Supreme Court determined that a woman's right to privacy under the due process clause of the 14th Amendment extended to the decision to have an abortion, that right must be balanced against the state's two legitimate interests in regulating abortions: protecting prenatal life and protecting women's health.

The slippery slope enters the picture when we talk about what constitutes "viability" of the fetus. The Roe decision defined "viable" as being "potentially able to live outside the mother's womb, albeit with artificial aid", adding that viability "is usually placed at about seven months (28 weeks) but may occur earlier, even at 24 weeks... but there are various views on this issue from religious and moral standpoints. In this case, viability is the slippery slope, I believe.

It's always the illogical debates that garner attention, while the good questions slide down the page... on a slippery slope...

o

Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 16:52

Yes jodik, I believe it was Kate that brought up similar thoughts on her related SS thread too. After thinking some more on what might constitute a SS perhaps War policy is another good example. Somehow over time we've dropped the requirement of Congress to put it's @ss on the line and actually declare a war. They opted out and have made it too easy on themselves, slippery war powers act, patriot act, etc.

o

War policy vis-a-vis Congress is s great example, vgkg.

I'd offer the Patriot Act's unprecedented citizen surveillance followed by the current administration's outright killing of citizens suspected of "working with terrorists".

o

circuspeanut wrote,

I'd offer the Patriot Act's unprecedented citizen surveillance followed by the current administration's outright killing of citizens suspected of "working with terrorists".

FISA, national security letters, telecom carrier immunity, rendition...

o

Another law with a slippery slope might be the "stand your ground" laws...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here