Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brown not running

Posted by lily316 z5PA (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 17:22

Now, that's real surprise to me ,because I thought for sure he would. He'd certainly have a decent chance, wouldn't he have? You guys from Massachusetts weigh in. Littleone?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brown not running

I just had a hunch he might not run - too close to his 8 point loss to Elizabeth Warren.

Per Brown: "I was not at all certain that a third Senate campaign in less than four years, and the prospect of returning to a Congress even more partisan than the one I left, was really the best way for me to continue in public service at this time," he said. "And I know it's not the only way for me to advance the ideals and causes that matter most to me."

Prospect of returning to congress? Methinks it's more the prospect of losing. Although I keep reading he's popular enough with Massachusetts voters.

o

a Congress even more partisan than the one I left

And if you know that's a problem, don't you think you could work on improving that by your own example?

Pansy.

o

Whatever his reasons, stating that he did not want to return to a Congress even more partisan than the one he left reinforces the message that Congress is seriously messed up.

o

it's not the only way for me to advance the ideals and causes that matter most to me."

Does that mean he plans to run for governor of Massachusetts?

Kate

o

Make no mistake about it, this was a very smart and very clever political move on Scott Brown's part.

He has been running for the Senate for 3 years now. First to win the remaining term that was left when Ted Kennedy died, and he won that, shocking most people in MA.

Once he won that temporary seat, he was running to keep the seat, campaigning etc to keep the Senate seat for a full term.

Well that blew up in his face 3 months ago when he lost a bitter, nasty, negative campaign against a new comer that had never run for office before.

The people of MA made it quite clear to him that he was no longer wanted in the Senate seat, he had not performed as was expected, as he claimed he would perform and his campaign itself, the things he said, how he treated his opponent angered the people even more.

If he ran again, now, not much more than 3 months after losing the last election and he lost again, his political career would no doubt be toast, besides the fact that he would have to run again for a full term, if he won, in a year, 2014.

That, in itself, really does sound dumb.

The people have not forgotten his last campaign, it is not history yet, it's just a few months old. His chances of winning are not very high against someone like Ed Markey or even Steven Lynch, though I do think Ed Markey will be the Democratic Candidate and I hope he is.

Brown's wife, Gail Huff, is a well known news reporter, having worked for the ABC local affiliate, WCVB channel 5, for many, many, many years. She is well respected and well liked, yet even her campaigning with him, her ads in support of her husband, whom she claimed was pro choice, pro women, etc, could not , did not gain him the votes needed to win and the odds are she wouldn't help him out now.

She may very well have been a strong supporter of his sitting out this special election cycle and let the "dust settle" so to speak from his loss a few months ago.

Stories circulate that he and his family where both shocked and had difficulty believing and understanding that he did not win the election.

So Scott Brown can sit back and watch the primary settle who will be the Democratic nominee and see how the chips fall for the Republicans for a candidate.

Talk abounds that it could be either Kerry Healey, Mitt Romney's Lieutenant Governor when he stuck around to be governor or Bill Weld, once a moderate Republican Governor of MA.

I don't think Healey has a snow balls chance in you no where of winning the election and I doubt she would even get the nomination.

On the other hand, Bill Weld, I believe, would get the nomination, but I don't think he will win either.

Democrats, in MA, are highly motivated now, I believe they will turn out at the polls for both the primary and the election, and will put a Democrat, I hope Markey in the Senate.

In the mean time Brown gets to sit back and relax, follow his fellow Republican candidates in MA and see what they do, how they perform in this election, then decide what he will do next year.

He could run for a full term in the senate again, and interesting thought don't you think, if he won? Ugh, I know not a good thought, but he would end up being the junior senator from MA, sitting beside the Senior Senator, the Senator that beat him for that seat.

Or he could decide to run for Governor.

But believe me when I say, this was nothing but a political move, a move intended to put Scott Brown in the best position to win the next election that he runs in, nothing more, nothing less.

He really does have this grandiose belief about himself and he will be back, almost like "the governator in Calif."

Brown will be back in one incarnation or another, running for a political office again, maybe senate, maybe governor, but we haven't see the last of him.

I just hope the people of MA continue to believe they have seen enough of him and do not elect him to any other elected office.

o

Being from the area...the people that got him elected have abandoned him...and those are not Dems..get the picture .Scott has lost his core group of supporters..

o

Why do you think his supporters have abandoned him? Just curious.

o

Many of the people that supported Scott Brown in his first run were Tea Party folk. When they saw how he voted on many key issues they decided he was just another R in name only.
I am not a Tea Party R on social issues,but do agree with them on fiscal issues.

o

Ok that seems fair. He disappointed them.

o

Oh, Scott Brown did not disappoint me at all.

My contribution to help him get elected was money well spent.

From Legal Insurrection, Feb 2, 2013, William A. Jacobson
Associate Clinical Professor, Cornell Law School, in part:

"Brown was a Senator for less than three years, but he holds an important place in our political history.

His election in January 2010 was a watershed moment in the rise of opposition to Obamacare, a spontaneous coming together of the Tea Party movement and blue collar Democrats. As someone who covered that 2010 race more closely and earlier than anyone, I witnessed first hand the passion with which seemingly disparate groups wanted to deprive Obama of a filibuster-proof Senate.

That 41st vote against Obamacare had enormous significance. It was not enough to stop it, because the Senate had passed a bill in late December 2009. Brown's election meant that the House, led by Nancy Pelosi, could not modify the Senate bill and had to take it as is, but for some relatively minor "reconciliation" changes. The hard core progressives never got to weigh in on Obamacare.

The Senate Obamacare bill, which became law because Brown could block any non-reconciliation changes, was and is a monstrosity, hated by conservatives and true progressives alike. Only party-line Democrats like it.

Brown's election in January 2010 also kept up the momentum created by the elections of Bob McDonnell and Chris Christie in November 2009, and took that momentum to a new level which carried forward into the 2010 mid-term elections and Republicans taking back the House."

Worked out quite well.

Yes, Scott Brown did good--I'm not disappointed at all.

o

I guess you're in the minority, Demi.

o

That's okay.

I've never been one to care much for the assessment of others.

o

The only opinions of him that really matter are the opinions of those who can vote for him and obviously they were disappointed with his performance.

o

That's fair.

Fortunately, I can help people like him with his campaign.

I will bet that people from other states that gave money helped to contribute to his win, which resulted in what happened with Obamacare that I noted above.

o

demifloyd wrote,

Oh, Scott Brown did not disappoint me at all.

Yes, we recall that you took pleasure in using your money to buy other people's unhappiness. How well you must sleep.

o

Well, she didn't take pleasure in buying my unhappiness, Factotem.

I just turned around and worked 3 times as hard to get Elizabeth Warren elected, and we all know how well Demi's money worked.

She forgot one very, very important thing, before she spent her money. Carefully check out what she is doing, where it is going, how well it will be spent and how worthwhile an investment it is.

Except for making her "feel good" that she was trying, albeit a wasted attempt and fairly obvious from the start, to elect Scott Brown to a full term in the Senate, she didn't bother to check out what the public perception was of him in MA. Not such a good one, and if she really thought that he was going to win, while he attempted to insult, ridicule not only his opponent but the voters in the state,

Well, I guess it makes some people feel good to waste their money on a useless political campaign, just to say "I tried to get that candidate elected", it must also be nice to have that kind of money to waste as well, instead of spending it where it just might do some good for the country or for others in the country.

It also makes one wonder how someone can save the amount of money that demi claims to have done because of such wise investments etc. and yet she wastes money on political campaigns that are doomed from the start, and take enjoyed doing so.

o

So I take it you didn't contribute to Elizabeth Warrens campaign littleone. Do you think you could have spent the time you did working for her, helping out in soup kitchen or a homeless shelter? You know, doing good for others?

o

Littleone, you don't have the foggiest idea of what I think I got, what I "forgot" or didn't forget, or a darned thing about me.

Get that straight.

I have said it before and I will say it again--I was very pleased with Scott Brown's vote regarding Obamacare, and as outlined by Professor Jacobson.

Another lie about my personal life--I haven't claimed to have saved any "amount of money", littleone.

No, you're just blowing smoke again.

As far as Scott Brown, I got my money's worth.

I don't care what kind of job he did in Massachusetts.
I don't live there.

He did what I wanted him to do.

Money well spent!

o

Posted by mrskjun 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 2, 13 at 19:03

So I take it you didn't contribute to Elizabeth Warrens campaign littleone. Do you think you could have spent the time you did working for her, helping out in soup kitchen or a homeless shelter? You know, doing good for others?

Maybe teaching her basketweaving and teepee making.

o

Who knows, Brown may be under scrutiny or investigation for something improper or unethical that he did while in Office and that could have been part of his calculation in deciding not to become a two-time loser.

OK, but Geraldo Rivera?

I am not a Tea Party R on social issues,but do agree with them on fiscal issues.

That "fiscal conservative" line went out with the GOP/T support of Bush Wars, the Bush Bank/Wall Street bail-outs, and with the hypocrisy involved in calling for austerity from the poor while pimping for the uber-wealthy on tax increases.
Conserving the wealth of the plutocrat Romney class is what "fiscal conservatism" is all about now.

o

"Maybe teaching her basketweaving and teepee making."

And the veil drops yet again.....

o

Good try, Mrskjun, doesn't work, I certainly did contribute to Elizabeth Warren's campaign, and I already spend plenty of time working in soup kitchens, homeless shelters, right along with the local food bank in my community, volunteer in the public schools, just to name a few things that my spare time is spent on.
I would venture to guess that I do more in my community to help others in 1 month's time than you do, but that is neither here nor there.

Demi, for someone that constantly claims that you have made good investments, don't need any help, pay for your own medical care out of your wallet, took personal responsibility so that you would have financial security, sounds like to me you did a lot of saving money, whether you word it as "saving money" or something else.
One must have a way to pay bills, purchase that which is needed and you certainly claim to be able to do all of those things without any "handouts", government assistance, any "entitlements" which the Republicans put social security and medicare under.

So, it's not hard to see and believe that you have saved a great deal of money to be able to support yourself, and I'm sure others on HT, those that have been here quite a while and read all of your posts would agree with me.

If Scott Brown is what you call "money well spent", good for you. He's history as a Senator, and he may think he has a shot for a full term or for Governor, but he better be prepared for a far better campaign than he ran this last time, otherwise he will be a failure again, which would be a good thing for MA and the country.

Maybe teaching her basketweaving and teepee making.

Now is that comment a sample of your intelligence? I certainly hope not, and just so you know, snide insulting remarks is far from lady like, at least that is what is taught in the North East. Maybe it is different in the South, I don't know.

edited to correct spelling

This post was edited by littleonefb on Sat, Feb 2, 13 at 20:39

o

Yup that veil just keeps on dropping and dropping all the time. Maybe some velcro would help it to stay on.

o

Demifloyd wrote,

As far as Scott Brown, I got my money's worth.

I don't care what kind of job he did in Massachusetts.
I don't live there.

Thank you for admitting that you are so selfish that you don't care if someone you helped elect did a poor job for the people he represented as long as you personally benefited. At least you take personal responsibility for making so many other people unhappy to get what you want. Your lack of empathy is chilling.

o

snide insulting remarks is far from lady like, at least that is what is taught in the North East.

So littleone, I take it you are not from the North East?

o

Mrskjun wrote,

How telling. Apparently you do not support candidates who will do good for others. Fortunately, other people, such as littleonefb, do.

o

snide insulting remarks is far from lady like

You mean she's not the perfect lady with perfect manners she tries to make us think she is?

Not sure even velcro can help in this case.

o

So littleone, I take it you are not from the North East?

Oh, mrskjun, your humor just fails to impress me or just about anyone else, I'm sure.

I'm living in the North East, can you not read that it shows z5MA right there beside my GW name?

Do you not know that MA is the abbreviation for Massachusetts?

Do you not know that MA is located in the North East, heck it's in New England, heck I love about 8 miles from where the original "shot heard round the world" was fired, you know that place? Lexington Green, located in Lexington Center and not that far from the North Bridge in Concord.
YOu know that date Mrs? April 19th 1775.

Now if you mean was I born in MA, you better believe I was born in the bluest of blue states, otherwise known as MA. Yup born and brought up here. Matter of fact born a few miles away from the famous "Kennedy Home", where John F. Kennedy was born.

Oh, and by the way, Mrskjun, I am not the one making all the claims of being a lady, as Demi does quite frequently.

I never claimed to not be a lady either, I only claimed that Demi's snide remarks where " from lady like, at least that is what is taught in the North East. Maybe it is different in the South, I don't know."

Sure hope that answers your question. Mrs.

o

ROTF!

More predictable gang mentality of piling on the messenger for pointing out the intentional misrepresentation at best, and outright lies at worst, of Elizabeth Warren, I see!

It's okay, I'm sure many of you forgive her.
She had to be special somehow, didn't she?

Here's more about our Indian Princess from the Washington Post, September 27, 2012, Sean Sullivan:

"In late April, the Boston Herald reported that in the 1990s, Harvard Law School--where Warren began teaching in 1992 and was granted tenure in 1995--touted the Democrat's Native American background as part of an effort to boost its diversity hiring record. Warren's campaign said she didn't bring up her heritage before Harvard hired her and that her background came out through later conversations.

The next week, Warren acknowledged listing herself as a minority in a directory of law professors. The directory included her on a list of minority professors from 1985 to 1996, the Boston Globe reported. Warren said she listed herself as a minority because she wanted to connect with "people for whom native American is part of their heritage and part of their hearts." Brown, meanwhile, went on offense, calling for more scrutiny.

In late May, the Globe reported that Warren acknowledged that at some point after she was hired by Harvard and the University of Pennsylvania, she informed the schools of her Native American heritage. The revelation spurred a new round of questions, since Warren never brought up the fact a month earlier, instead saying she didn't know why Harvard listed her as Native American. Earlier in the May, a report pointed out that she listed herself as "white" at the University of Texas Law School, prompting questions about consistency.

Throughout it all, Warren struggled to get past the story. Her responses to questions about why she identified as Native American were convoluted (and included a discussion of "high cheekbones" at one point)."

You are welcome--from someone who really does have a Native American background!

o

Littleone, Thanks for giving the lowdown on MA politics. I knew you'd weigh in, and I want to thank you for helping get Warren elected. A great accomplishment. She'll make a spectacular senator and now the SENIOR senator to boot. This must really rankle the ladies from the south who apparently don't have the upbringing we people in the northeast have.

o

"You are welcome--from someone who really does have a Native American background!"

Why would we believe you any more than we should believe her? According to you, people accuse you of lying here on a near daily basis. That does not speak highly of your character. You know, "where there is smoke there is fire".

o

The fact you say you have a Native American background makes your reference to basket weaving and teepee making even more egregious.

o

NO, it does not.

That is part of a heritage--not a "political correctness point" to attempt to verbally bash other when one does not agree with them.

Contrary to the standard liberal proclivity of proclaiming identifying characteristics of a group of people they wish to control for votes as "out of bounds" by others lest they be labeled some nasty name, people that genuinely treat everyone the same and do NOT see people as different because of race, gender, or ethnic backgrounds don't quake at noting that Native Americans wove baskets and built and lived in teepees--people like me are proud of that heritage.

There is nothing egregious in my heritage, but Elizabeth Warren's listing herself as a minority at Harvard, IS egregious.

"High cheekbones"--sure, Elizabeth.

o

I suspect a Native American would disagree especially in the context you used it. It was intended as a jab at Warren and served no useful
purpose than to denigrate her.

o

Posted by chase z6 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 8:05

I suspect a Native American would disagree especially in the context you used it. It was intended as a jab at Warren and served no useful
purpose than to denigrate her.

She denigrated Native Americans, Chase, with her lie.

o

.....and that gives you the right to do the same?????

o

I didn't denigrate her. Elizabeth Warren did a good job of that herself.

I suggested someone could teach her basket weaving or teepee making.

Perhaps if she learned, someone might make her an official Junior Native American and give her a little card to carry in her wallet--maybe if she's lucky, a little tin pin for her collar.

THEN she could legitimately claim minority status, sort of.;)

The Demi Police are out in full force, eh?

Have a great Sunday--I hope your weather is as pretty as ours--sunny, cold, and high 60s forecast for today.

o

So let me get this straight, so I'm sure we all understand this correctly.

According to Demi

You are welcome--from someone who really does have a Native American background!

and

"she" being Elizabeth Warren She denigrated Native Americans, Chase, with her lie.

And we are supposed to believe these statements because

Someone named "demifloyd" on a public forum called "hot topics" on Gardenweb says so.

But

when a political figure, a Democratic candidate for Senator in MA, claims Native American Heritage it's a lie.

OK, I get it. makes perfect sense to me, NOT.

How absurd Demi. because you say it is true it is. Not in your life, there is no proof that you are of Native American Heritage, and none of us have any reason to believe you and your claims.

How presumptuous of you to think we would believe you and your claims more so that those of a political candidate.

OOPs is it because she is a democrat and she beat your candidate in an election and now we are hearing "poor loser" attitude out of you and you can no longer get your "money's worth" from your donations?

Either way or whatever your reasons, your claims are not believable, anymore than anyone else's on this forum are, including mine, that is unless any of us known each other personally.

Of course, now Demi is going to turn this thread into a "poor demi, everyone is picking on me" thread.

o

I didn't say you denigrated her.....you denigrated Native Americans. As I said the mentioning of basket weaving and tee per making served no useful purpose except to insult her and in doing so you insulted Native Americans

Sunny and low 70's.........

o

Oh, you have the same weather. Hope you're having fun.

I didn't insult Native Americans.
I made fun of Elizabeth Warren.

I'm sure my Native American ancestors wouldn't be offended by my words, if stories my grandmother told me about them are true. She had no reason to lie, unlike Elizabeth Warren.

I would say I'd bet they would be offended by Elizabeth Warren's claims, but if the stories about them are true, they couldn't care less about what someone else said about Native Americans.

They had more important things to do.
I'm like them in that regard--people can say what they want as long as they follow the rules and laws.

You see, people say all sorts of things about public figures here and it's all okay, until a conservative says something about or makes fun of a liberal. Oh, then it's a travesty!

If Ms. Warren intends to run for President, she'd better be prepared to take it. She put herself in this position--and it tells us a LOT about her judgment and character.

I'm sure she's a nice person and may be a very effective representative for the people of Massachusetts, but she fudged.

She fudged a little.
If you fudge a little, you'll fudge more.

That's something we all should know about her--
and remember.

o

The fact you don't see the use of those terms , in the context you used them, to be denigrating explains a lot......and I actually do not mean that in a nasty way,.

o

Whatever, Chase, you know what they say about opinions.

Enjoy the weather, I'm headed out to do the same.

o

demi: people that genuinely treat everyone the same

Are you saying you treat everyone the same?

o

Well, I'm sure that the Republicans will attack, all barrels blazing, Ms Warren on her belief that she has Cherokee ancestry, figuring that the smear campaign will work on a national level.

Gee. The number of people who don't seem to realize that attacking the ethnicity of someone just showcases the bigotry that now permeates the Republican party, driving away moderates and disgusting so many people.

So hey, go for it.

o

I was going to write a similar warning. Cultural warfare, even this insipid and sophomoric, will only drive off the minorities the Republicans claim to want to woo into voting Republican.

o

omg yes, demi is going to alienate the native americans of which Elizabeth Warren is not one. And hillbillies and southerners as well!....Oh wait, that wasn't demi was it.

And for those of you who feel they might qualify for a government paid cellphone, here is some info on the subject.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Granny Warren, lol

Scotty wasn't good and wasn't bad, time will tell if Granny is effective. I personally feel Granny comes across as sneaky and untrustworthy.

o

Well, we know Elizabeth Warren "fudges" about her minority status.

I'm being kind in that characterization, too.

It is very important to know these character flaws in a person--particularly one people are touting to be President of the United States.

o

mrskjun wrote,

And for those of you who feel they might qualify for a government paid cellphone, here is some info on the subject.

You might want to actually read the article at the link you provided. That's generally a good procedure to follow when you're trying to make a point, as it helps to avoid the kind of spectacular embarrassment you have just caused yourself.

From the link you provided:

LifeLine is funded by the small Universal Service Fee that is added to phone subscribers' monthly bills.

Now, was what demifloyd said true? An honest person would answer the question directly. Are you an honest person? We're about to find out.

This post was edited by Factotem on Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 16:29

o

MrsK - did you even read the link you provided? Your reading comprehension skills need serious work. More, much more, than a tune up that was suggested recently.

We've been over this so many times. You really should be embarrassed to keep posting the same lies. And then you post a link which says the opposite of what you think it says. Very embarrassing. Typical and expected, though.

o

I'm one that usually pays attention to the details but I don't find any credible information to say that Ms. Warren does not have any biological links to the American Indian.

Not saying it isn't true..... So please point me in the right direction

o

demifloyd wrote,

Another lie about my personal life--I haven't claimed to have saved any "amount of money", littleone.

Sure you have. You said you'd save enough money to be comfortable in your retirement. You owe littleonefb an apology.

This post was edited by Factotem on Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 18:17

o

I must have missed previous discussion. We pay a tax or a subsidy, it's been called both,called Universal Service Fee on our phone bills that is used to provide either landline or cellphone service to people who are eligible. The program is called Lifeline, and the fees or tax is collected through the FCC and disbursed back to the phone companies for those deemed to be eligible.

I don't get what the hoopla is about with the reading comprehension and stuff. Must have been a disagreement about it on another thread....I'm outta here.

o

demi--what tribe officially lists you as a person of Native American descent? That would be interesting to know.

A person can't go around and claim Nat. Am. heritage just cuz they decided to. You have to meet certain requirements that are recognized by the specific tribe you claim you are descended from. I can't remember the details now, but I used to work with a woman who was in the process of submitting the papers and documentation to the tribe that would enable her to be officially labeled Nat. Am. I'm thinking it was something like proving you were no less than 1/16th identifiable Nat. Am. (particularly the tribe you were applying to). I remember how excited she was when everything went through and she became officially recognized by that tribe.

That "official" category also applies to affirmative action loans and actions. You must PROVE you have a grandparent (or is it a great-grandparent?) who is recognized by a specific tribe. You can't just go in and claim the connection with no proof--at least not if you want anybody to take you seriously.

So what tribe officially recognizes you, demi?

And would the tribe consider "basket-weaving and making teepees" (used as a put-down of a political opponent) to be a good description of what it means to be an authentic Native American?

Kate

o

mrskjun wrote,

We pay a tax or a subsidy, it's been called both,called Universal Service Fee on our phone bills

A tax, by definition, is paid by taxpayers to the government. The Universal Service Fee is not a tax, of course.

I don't get what the hoopla is about with the reading comprehension and stuff.

That's evident.

o

The number of people who don't seem to realize that attacking the ethnicity of someone just showcases the bigotry that now permeates the Republican party, driving away moderates and disgusting so many people.

The last-minute conversion of GOPers - a month or two before the general election - hasn't been proven very effective.

MsK, before you sarcastically dismissed the comments you might have done better to consider the number of Latinos and other who are part Native American/indigenous peoples.

I applaud all efforts of conservatives to reject any type of PC thinking. Do it often and do it loudly! We on the left encourage you.

o

I'm outta here

Typical. Can't come up with a good argument, leave the room.

I don't get what the hoopla is about with the reading comprehension and stuff.

Right, it's hard to understand it when there's a reading comprehension problem.

o

Teepee-making, eh?. That would leave out most of the tribal peoples of the Western coast and deserts and most of the rest of the America's southeast of the US. Come to think of it, most early depictions of Native American settlements did not show teepees. The ignorance of some on HT amazes me, given the amount of education professed.

o

The last-minute conversion of GOPers - a month or two before the general election - hasn't been proven very effective.

It's going to take a very, very long time for any of the "new beliefs", if that is what they really are, to be believed by the voters, and then again, that party platform has to really go.

As a friend of mine put it, once a long time Republican, as she puts it "back in the day of sanity with them", maybe when my grandchildren are old enough to vote, and that grandchild is right now "snug as a bug in a rug" inside his/her mommy, the voters will believe what the GOP says.

Until then, well either the true GOP fights and retakes their party or they form a new party with a new name and let the voters know what the truth is.

As it stands now, the GOP has been hijacked, stolen right out from under their noses, by the teaparty, right wing evangelical, extremists and it is not looking good for the GOP.

One can not get the voter to vote for you when all you do is insult, denigrate, ridicule, make fun of the voter that you want to vote for you.

Heck that isn't politically correct anything, that is just plain and simple common sense.

o

The ignorance of some on HT amazes me, given the amount of education professed.

Glad others noticed. Goes right along with professing to be so polite and proper with impeccable manners, yet showing the exact opposite.

o

Teepee, basket weaving, just the stereotypical insults used to denigrate and ethnic group.

Till you mentioned it, Marshall, it never crossed my mind that comment was not just insulting, and bigoted but also ignorant in more ways than one, especially coming from someone that is claiming to have Native American Background.

The Native Americans didn't build teepees in the south east. Matter of fact on the nomad tribes of Native Americans in the Great Plains where the followed the herds of Buffalo to hunt as the herds roamed the plains.

The tribes specific to Elizabeth Warren's claim of having both Cherokee and Delaware ancestry, well the Cherokee built wattle and daub homes. These homes were framed with tree logs and then covered with mud and grass to fill in the walls. The roofs were made of thatch or bark.

http://www.ducksters.com/history/native_american_cherokee.php

and

The Cherokee people historically lived in houses made of mud and clay with roofs of brush and river cane. In the winter time, they lived in even smaller clay and mud houses which included the construction of the roof, as well, in order to keep warm.

By the late 1700's, many Cherokees were living in log cabins while some even lived in clapboard houses like their non-Indian counterparts. Today, Cherokees live in many types of dwellings based on economic abilities, including some who still live on ancestral land in small cabins or other small homes.

http://www.cherokeetourismok.com/FAQ/Pages/16.aspx

Sure doesn't sound like teepees to me.

And the Delaware built homes whose living quarters were grass and bark covered longhouses.Each village contained a sweathouse for steam baths.Sweating in steam baths was the usual remedy for disease and melancholy. Following steam baths, men repainted their bodies, and women painted their faces with white,yellow and red dyes.Red was usually associated with war. Most men painted red designs on themselves prior to battle

heck that doesn't sound like teepees either

"Ignorance is bliss" so they say, and we sure see a lot of spouted on HT from those claiming to be well educated, in the know, actually does have a specific type of heritage and knowledge of that heritage.

If that where truly the case, one would not be spouting out such bigoted comments about their own ancestry and then claiming it to just be "making fun of someone. It's a bigoted comment regardless of how one reads it, and that is just being kind.

It does show true ignorance as well as it implies that all Native Americans lived in teepees when only a small minority did.

Oh, and Demi expects us to believe that is really the one with the Native American Background and Elizabeth Warren doesn't.

Yup, and the moon is made of green cheese too.

o

Just in case you have a need,

http://www.inquiry.net/outdoor/native/skills/teepee.htm

and then there is....

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Mrs..maybe you didn't read the posts .....no one is saying Native peoples don't have those skills. I won't bother explaining what is being said because there is simply no point.

o

Chase, it's that reading comprehension problem. They can't comprehend what they read.

o

Then you will have to explain to me why these should become lost arts. I have a friend who is native American and sells many of the baskets in her shop. They are quite beautiful and sell for large dollar amounts. Isn't that a good thing? Why are you trying to make it derogatory?

o

ROTF!

Where are the torches?

You people care way too much about what I post.

Way too much.

o

demifloyd wrote,

Sure you have. You said you'd save enough money to be comfortable in your retirement. Therefore, what littleonefb posted was not a lie, contrary to your accusation.

You owe littleonefb an apology. Do you have the character to issue one?

o

Demi, I asked up thread for some credible source that states Ms Warren in fact "fudged" information about her heritage.

I can find lots of criticism of her for "using" that information on her resume but nothing indicating she was bring untruthful. What do you base your accusations of her on?

o

Waste of time Chase.

Why the unending need for attention and baiting until it is received is to be pitied.
Why not everyone let the comments stand as they are and allow them to speak for themselves- the words become fuzzy in their original content and intent the more it is challenged because denial and then personal outrage, instead, becomes the focus.

Maybe its not possible on a forum like this but it sure would be an interesting experiment regarding evolution, IMO

o

Why not everyone let the comments stand as they are and allow them to speak for themselves

Speaking for myself, I have a problem letting something stand when the person provides zero supporting evidence. It may be someone's opinion that Ms. Warren has no native American heritage. But to say that Ms. Warren is lying without backing that up with proof, or at least some explanation of how you came to that conclusion, is inexecusable IMO.

If we allow that to go unchallenged, this board just becomes a waste of time.

The problem is not that it's challenged. The problem is that the person who is being challenged turns it into a pity me post. But, IMO, it should still be pointed out so that everyone reading understands what is going on.

o

You can't quit me, jillinnj!

Rent free.

:)

o

demifloyd wrote,

You can't quit me, jillinnj!

Rent free.

:)

Do you have the character to apologize to littleonefb for falsely accusing her of lying about what you said? The silence is deafening and exposes the hypocrisy of your claims to being a stickler for personal responsibility because you don't ask anything of anyone else that you don't expect and ask of yourself.

This post was edited by Factotem on Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 17:19

o

That's all you have? No response to your lie about littleone. No response to a request for how you came to the conclusion you did about Ms. Warren? Chase even asked you politely. Twice. You always say if asked politely you'll answer the question. Another lie?

Just so we're clear. You're not answering and just replying with what you think are witty responses.

Got it (and so does everyone else who can think).

o

You have it bad, Jill.

Obsession.

o

Nope, I've got it good. Thanks for asking.

Still deflecting and not answering, I see (and so does everyone else).

o

I guess I am left to assume you willl not tell me what information you have that supports your claim that Ms. Warren is a liar. If you have no information to support your claim then I guess that could make you a liar.....something you vehemently deny.

o

Posted by chase z6 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 18:01

I guess I am left to assume you willl not tell me what information you have that supports your claim that Ms. Warren is a liar. If you have no information to support your claim then I guess that could make you a liar.....something you vehemently deny.

Don't you get it?

I don't play your games any longer.

Research it yourself--Elizabeth Warren identified herself as an "ethnic minority" and has admitted that she "let people know about my Native American heritage in a national directory of law school personnel." (quote from ABC NEWS).

There are many others.

But surely, I would think you know that.

o

Yes I know what she said.....but what evidence do you have that she lied?

o

It seems that all you do is play games. Where is your proof that Elizabeth Warren lied about her heritage?

~Ann

o

Do you mean purposefully misrepresented and lied or was just plain ignorant of her heritage chase?

o

Demi called her a liar....not me. I don't even know if she misrepresented herself. If you know that to be true then perhaps you can share the basis of your claim.

If she lied it should be understood by all that she did because that would be wrong. If she didn't then she should not be wrongly accused. I don't see that as a very complicated premise and certainly not a game.

o

Where is your proof that Elizabeth Warren lied about her heritage?

Well, Scott Brown said so, and one assume that Demi would believe anything that Scott Brown said, and because of that we are expected to believe anything that Demi says.

Do you mean purposefully misrepresented and lied or was just plain ignorant of her heritage chase?

Tag team for Demi has arrived. and you would believe this because Demi says so and/or because there just has to be a reason that Elizabeth Warren won and Scott Brown lost the election.

Couldn't have anything to do with the fact that Elizabeth Warren was the better candidate, the candidate that the voters wanted and that Scott Brown fully showed what kind of person he truly was and many of us already knew.

Nope couldn't be that Elizabeth Warren won "fair and square" and that Scott Brown's claims about her heritage where nothing more than a smoke screen to deflect from him because he had nothing on a record to run on and wasn't capable of running on the issues at hand, the issues that are and where important to the voters of MA and the country.

Must be cause Demi says so and her "tag team" supports what she says. Truth isn't important, we already know that.

Demi never lies, even when it is proven that she has, and she will never apologize either,

Guess it's just not in her vocabulary and her nature, nor is personal responsibility. That's for those that are not republicans.

o

Elizabeth Warren identified herself as an "ethnic minority" and has admitted that she "let people know about my Native American heritage in a national directory of law school personnel." (quote from ABC NEWS).

And that's proof that she lied? In what alternate universe?

Wow!

o

The Washington Post did an interesting and unbiased piece on Warren's claims, feel free to google it.

"The New England genealogical society clarified in a statement that it has found no proof of Warren�s self-proclaimed Native American lineage. The group also told The Globe that the candidate�s family is not listed in an early-20th century census of major tribes, known as the Dawes Rolls."

"An article in Atlantic magazine pointed out that Warren "would not be eligible to become a member of any of the three federally recognized Cherokee tribes based on the evidence so far surfaced by independent genealogists about her ancestry." That�s because her Cherokee ancestors, if she has any, would either be too distant or they never documented their ties in ways that meet the tribes� requirements."

They closed the article with the following;

"The outstanding questions about Warren�s directory listing � and her relying on family lore rather than official documentation to make an ethnic claim � certainly raise serious concerns about Warren�s judgment..."

I'm standing behind my statement that either Warren lied or she was embarrassing ignorant about her heritage. I find the latter harder to believe; common sense tells me that most people (sans some adoptees) understand this basic info. Didn't Warren find it curious that her family didn't have any Native recipes passed down, didn't interface with other Natives, didn't have any Native artifacts or trinkets in the home, etc?

o

Supposition, extrapolation and conjecture...nothing more....but that is enough for many.

My step father was definitely of Native Canadian heritage and there was absolutely no tangible evidence in terms of recipes , roles , etc. You have to really understand the modern history of 1st Nations people to understand why that would be the norm not the exception.

o

Demi and all the Righties on here never ever come back and admit they were wrong or provide links to prove they were right. Deflection, they all do it..

o

Demi
I'm sure my Native American ancestors wouldn't be offended by my words, if stories my grandmother told me about them are true. She had no reason to lie, unlike Elizabeth Warren.

Elizabeth Warren
Democratic Senate candidate Elizabeth Warren said Thursday that she knows she has Native American ancestry because her mother told her so.

Because my mother told me so. This is how I live. My mother, my grandmother, my family. This is my family. Scott Brown has launched attacks on my family. I am not backing off from my family."

So parents and grandparents are liars? Projection maybe?

Demi says IF what her grandparents told her was true. There appears to be some doubt.

Senator Warren is emphatic that her family did not lie, no IF or Maybe in her statement.

It is family, love and trust. Maybe it is a Liberal thing.

o

omg...what children. Prove it prove it prove it. Why? All over the internet that there is absolutely no proof of any American Indian heritage for Ms. Warren. 30 seconds to google the fact, yet some of you, like chase would prefer to spend half the day here posting prove it, prove it. neener neener neener

o

My grandfather stated a number of times that his ancestors (in Pennsylvania) were Quakers.

I confess--I have always assumed he knew what he was talking about and therefore that we probably had some Quakers in our background. It never occurred to me to go check my grandfather's veracity by double-checking his stories through an ancestor search.

Any traditions passed down in our family that would indicate one or more Quaker ancestors in the family tree?

Nope.

It still never occurred to me to do an ancestor search on my Grandfather to see if he was lying to me.

I can thus completely identify with Ms. Warren's situation. If the family repeatedly says such and such is true, one tends to take it as truth--since our families have always been sober, reliable, and trustworthy in most things in life.

I fail to see why that would be considered an unusual situation--much less why anyone would call it a deliberate lie.

Kate

o

You are right Mrs....people should be able to post anything they want about anyone , on any subject with total impunity. Matters not if its true......heaven knows you have been expert in that regard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here