Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Awesome display ...

Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 17:29

....of power. Hot or not? The videos/photos of this event are surreal. Wonder if this was connected to the fly by?

Here is a link that might be useful: source of course

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Awesome display ...

Not connected to close encounter - early indications that the Siberian rock was traveling almost in opposite direction.

tiny fragment!

o

From the link: " approximately 16 hours apart but they are also traveling in different directions..."

Here is a link that might be useful: Not connected

o

Stunning series of photos, OM.I was out driving somewhere today and it crossed my mind that I could just be driving along and an asteroid could just wipe me out in an instant. That's scary but also pretty cool.

o

The trajectories were quit different, it's being reported. One incident is not related to the other, though they are both very interesting.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 17:50

I guess 10 tons is a tiny fragment, glad it did not land in my backyard ... course if it did my circa 1920's building probably would not be here :)

Amazing amateur videos ..

o

It is interesting from afar, but I feel bad for the injured. They were really set up for injury, people rushed to windows at the flash to see what happened, then seconds later the shockwave hit.

o

Speaking of display, according to the website The Watchers:

In last 2 days exploding fireballs were reported on all sides of the world:

o Russia, Kazakhstan,

o Japan,

o Australia,

o Cuba,

o South Africa,

o Morocco,

o Germany, Switzerland, northern Italy, Netherlands, Belgium, UK

[formatting added]

I guess the Mayans were a few weeks off. ;o)

o

WX, where did you get that info? I would like to learn more about it.

o

When I first read this , I thought it was the asteroid they have been talking about for a year which would be 17,000 feet from earth. How weird was it that they both happened the same time? And I thought if this was the Cold War, maybe Russia would have sent a missile over here thinking we attacked them.

It the asteroid which passed by us hit Manhattan or any large city, think of what a disaster it would be. They say that a large asteroid killed the dinosaurs.Why do they always seem to land in Russia or Siberia?

o

WX, where did you get that info? I would like to learn more about it.

There's a link in the text "The Watchers", site here:

http://thewatchers.adorraeli.com/2013/02/16/thousands-of-dolphins-spotted-off-the-coast-of-san-diego-us/

o

"17,000 feet" from the earth could/would be disasterous. Travelling at 5 miles per second, the wind rush in its wake would likely suck you off your feet. But I'm only guessing.

The Russian meteor broke up and exploded between 18 and 32 MILES up and look what damage the sonic boom did.

Edited to question WxDano - I can't find any credible sources for other meteoric activity around the globe besides the usual UFO sites.

This post was edited by duluthinbloomz4 on Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 10:47

o

Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 22:04

Update: Update: The "fragment" was 55 feet wide, with a blast of 500 kilotons. It also weighed 10,000 tons and was traveling at 40,000 mph when it exploded.

NASA says 10,000 tons, others are saying 10 tons ... I am going with NASA

This post was edited by ohiomom on Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 22:16

o

Edited to question WxDano - I can't find any credible sources for other meteoric activity around the globe besides the usual UFO sites.

There was a sidebar in the paper this morning mentioning California and Cuba.

The Watchers is accurate about 98.75% of the time, so one should be careful; however, the fireball reports do have several of the places mentioned above.

o

Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 13:06

Someone captured the fireball over San Fran, not sure about Cuba.

And also :) Apparently February is a "fireball month" according to scientist.

o

Okay, days later I caught my mistake. 17,000 feet and we'd be in deep doo doo. I, of course, meant miles.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 17:04

Not to worry, meteors are seen every night everywhere, they're just getting more press these daze. Some are better performers than others depending upon their mass and makeup. If a methane laced comet of the same mass were to hit the resulting explosion might well dwarf this one. Comets travel much fastest than asteroids and the kinetic energy released would be immense. The nice thing about comets is that you can usually see them coming ;o)

o

You know, that part has interested me since I heard about the meteorite. So no one was watching or saw it ahead of time? Was there "no warning"? As many people who are star-gazing, amateur or not, I find that amazing.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 10:45

A 50' rock isn't too easy to detect until it very close, esp hard to find if it were coming in from the direction of the sun.

o

From what I read about the Russian meteorite, it was more a "space rock" and, as we saw, it exploded in the air rather than impacting the ground.

It wasn’t detected by telescopes searching for asteroids because of its small size. Also, because it came out of or appeared in the daylight sky side of the globe, it simply was not spotted by any earth based telescopes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here