Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hey teacher leave the kids alone

Posted by inkognito (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 14, 12 at 18:01

President George W. Bush�s No Child Left Behind law and President Barack Obama�s Race to the Top program are examples of the global education reform movement. Both promote standardized testing as the most reliable measure of success for students, teachers, and schools; privatization in the form of schools being transferred to private management; standardization of curriculum; and test-based accountability such as merit pay for high scores, closing schools with low scores, and firing educators for low scores.

In contrast, the central aim of Finnish education is the development of each child as a thinking, active, creative person, not the attainment of higher test scores, and the primary strategy of Finnish education is cooperation, not competition. I will consider the Teach for America organization�the subject of Wendy Kopp�s A Chance to Make History�in comparison to the Finnish model in a second article.

Here is a link that might be useful: quote from this

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hey teacher leave the kids alone

Thank you.

o

Yes. And it's coming to a college near you. Obama's extending Race to the Top principles to colleges if they want their students to be eligible for federal student loans.
Say goodbye to academic freedom. The worst part of it is that accreditation agencies like WASC are already targeting colleges to standardize curriculum, testing, and to base professor evaluations on "student learning outcomes" to make the feds happy and to try to stave off direct control.

o

We are really feeling it in RI and the results have been appalling in regard to test scores and teacher morale, both down...

o

I've had a very long and grueling day of traveling to doctors and whatnot, so I just can't manage the research at the moment, but I'd be interested in seeing the statistics of high school drop outs, college completion, true education levels (and not based entirely on test scores), and that sort of thing, country by country... and in the US, state by state.

While I'm very aware that education budgets are being slashed and burned left and right in the US, due to apparent budget issues... and I can see that our entire educational system is suffering as a result of several variables... but running the system based purely on test scores, and blaming teachers when so many other issues so obviously coincide is just ludicrous.

First and foremost, who's idiotic idea is it that all kids are the same, and learn and develop all at the same level?

o

Education is always touted as the salvation of the nation but when results don't measure up teachers become the whipping boy...

o

Most of the teachers that I know are extremely demoralized and want to leave the profesion. Doesn't help that our fat boy gov, consistently bashes teachers. If you think education is in trouble now--just wait! Lots of reasons for the U.S. decline--fractured families, technological overload, little respect given to teachers or even the pursuit of education, clueless politicos, and pedagogical "experts"...(I could go on.) There needs to be a fundamental, cultural revolution in the country for things to change. Not a pretty situation at all, and I would suggest that comparing the US to Finnish educational system is like comparing apples to oranges.

o

The Finnish model works for Finland - its a highly cohesive culture, and there's no rush to educate kids who are then burned out by third grade. Their kids don't even start school until seven and they are soon ahead of their counterparts who start school at five here.

Meanwhile, the teacher unions in the U.S. are convinced that our scores would improve if we had universal four year old kindergerten. Pre-kindergarten? They said that about universal five year old kindergarten, as well.

Which shows how much crap is being taught in teacher colleges about child development. :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here