Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I know I'm going to get heck for this.....

Posted by chase z6 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 18:45

For the person wanting some bread making advice from a post I made on another forum moons ago.......I have no way of replying to you. Send me an email with your return email or, if you would rather not do that, post over on the Cooking Forum and I'll respond there.

Sorry to all for the interruption.......

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I know I'm going to get heck for this.....

chase, this advice that you dish out for making bread:-
Is this the bread you store in a pantry?
Or is it the bread you store in a bank?
I am interested in the latter.

o

Ha ha, Rona, me too. but I think Chase means food.

o

Sorry its the former......

o

Chase: If you have a good recipe for crusty French bread made in a stand mixer, I would LOVE it. I can get the good taste but I can't seem to get the crustiness.

o

you didnt even get heck,you hardly got a rise.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 20:03

you hardly got a rise

:)

o

you hardly got a rise

Maybe the yeast was past its 'best if used by' date.

o

Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 20:06

Speaking of "past the best by used date", I keep my yeast in the freezer and it still "gets a rise" even past the date on the package.

o

Thanks, OH. Good information to have.

o

I always keep my yeast in the freezer. Keeps forever....except I use so darn much of it keeping isn't an issue.

I have found the secret to a good crust on French style bread is to throw several ice cubes into the oven a few minutes after you put the bread in the oven. The steam seems to crisp the crust.

If Ann is checking in her advice on French Bread would be the best..a master.

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 20:27

I'm against it.

o

Edited to delete double post...yet again

This post was edited by chase on Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 20:42

o

There you go, kwoods, trying to pick a fight! : )

Kate

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 20:32

Someone had to take a position one way or the other....

o

Yes but what's your source?

Edited for spelling

This post was edited by chase on Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 20:57

o

I buy dry yeast by the pound and keep it in the freezer, when I open a package, it goes in a Mason jar the fridge.

Others I know have problems with dry yeast going off, but I never have.

o

Thanks Sharon.

I buy yeast by the pound too. Half goes into the freezer and the other half in the fridge. I go through it quick enough that I never have to proof the yeast. I know that it is fresh.

Jerzeegirl You can find instructions for making French bread here.

And I have a pictorial on the blog for making the dough in a food processor.

~Ann

o

I must confess, t'was I who was the dummy!

Just because you can contact someone privately via garden web doesn't mean they can contact you back if you don't allow your email out!

Seems a simple enough idea to keep in mind, and yet.........;)

o

Ann, what a gorgeous web site, Im truly in awe.

Im going to bookmark it on my laptop as soon as it gets back and go over the whole thing carefully.

I wish the woman from New Orleans (Natal? Cant remember how she spelled her name....) was still here, a wonderful cook, FABulous southern cajun cook with photos to each recipe, Im betting a fabulous baker, too - she would have loved your site.

Miss her and her input.

Thanks for that link!

o

Beautiful website Ann.

o

Thanks Mylab.

I can guarantee that Natal does not love my site. I'm not sure if you know, but Natal has been banned by GW under at least five names that I'm aware of. Could be more.

~Ann

o

WOW!! Ann that is beautiful. You made me hungry and very embarrassed with my little non-cooking self using my little bread machine.

Now I have to go get something to eat. Thank you. I will blame you for the 2 lbs. I will gain tonight.

o

I think my wife keeps her yeast in the freezer too! I aint checkin.

Actually, I love makin bread. Sometime this week is gonna be rosemary olive oil sea salt. Damn, I like good bread. I make a mighty fine bread in the ol cast iron ditch oven, crusty and all, with fresh butter its a meal!!

If it gets stale, I use it ta shoot at.But thats a rare occurance.

o

Yeast in freezer here, too. Wait; I'll check the date quick. Ha! 2 years old; still works fine. Dry yeast in plastic container.

o

Thank you Ann! That bread looks perfect. I can't wait to get started on making some and I will let you know how it turns out.

o

*gasp! *

Natal?? From the deep south, that Natal??

Had no clue! None! Hardly knew her but she seemed awfully willing to share recipes in this forum, anyway, and seemed nice from her posts, which weren't all that frequent.

If she was banned, she should have stayed completely out.

What's with people thinking they can break in by a back door into sites not owned by them anyway and use it as they wish and as frequently as they choose? Or use sites deceptively, in any way at all?

Its not their property to use!

Sheesh!

Signed,

Very Disappointed

o

Its America, all rules are out!

o

Thanks Epi and Marquest.

MyLab, I agree. It is one thing to be banned once and come back but numerous times? That speaks volumes.

~Ann

o

How can ya regain entry once banned?? Just wonderin.

o

you get a new handle but you need three month unless you change your ip address.

o

Is this forum getting to its expiration date?

o

A HT thread on Baking. OMom and Nancy must feel like they've died and gone to heaven.

o

It is turning into a HT. How to get banned. How to come back several times after you are banned.

Someone said here that any GW member can see where you live with a little search and google. That could be helpful if you wanted to use the legal system to sue someone or as discussed in one of the many gun topics Military Science usage. Hot Topic is Hot! If someone reports you they tell you who reported you. The yeast is rising.

o

Ann,

Addictions are tough to cure.

o

I keep dry yeast in the fridge. I have only been baking bread for a couple of months and haven't looked into proper yeast storage yet. We get it in bulk from the co-op so we can get small amounts of fresh yeast and not be too concerned with storage. Plus, it goes pretty fast as I have been working out a recipe for "my" bread. Saturdays batch was the best yet and the next loaves I bake will be a duplicate of that experiment.

Does anyone know if bread bakes differently depending on the pan? I prefer round loaves baked in a pie pan over those baked in a bread pan. The round loaves seem more moist, with better texture.

o

You're so right Chase, I am going to give you heck. Opened up HT this morning and started reading about crusty, hot, homemade bread and now all I can think about is a big slice of hot bread with lots of butter......yeah I know that's bad. How could you do that to us? Next time you start a thread about hot, crusty homemade bread, please provide samples....big slices. ;^)

o

Bread doesn't kill people.

Paula Deen does.

o

Personally, I feel so much better since eliminating breads and cereals and other items made with processed grains from my diet... so, I'm with KWoods... I'm against it.

o

I do too, Jodi, so very much better.

I try very hard to stay away from what I call bad carbs - anything with a high carb count compared to like foods, or foods that provide too much natural sugar and high carbs, such as some veggies, a lot of fruit -and all sugars including hidden sugars. I limit my carb intake, stick to meat and fish and lots of good veggies every day and feel so much better than I did 20 years ago.

If I have something high carb or bread or too much sugar once in awhie though, I don't swear it and it doesn't make me feel bad. If I eat like it all day though, I will feel not great.

I like to bake bread sometimes for just for my husband or when we have company coming, which is the case this time.

Unfortunately I don't bake it often enough to know why it sometimes doesn't turn out right. Thank goodness for a great German bakery located just before the highway, easy to get to! I like to have a backup.

o

Good grief, I must have just skimmed and then hit send, another mess of a post.

I hate this small touch screen device, but just HAD to have it, grrrrrrrr

o

LOL, Mylab... I'm also against small touch screens! They're difficult to read, hard on the eyes, and too sensitive to the touch!

I've been on a laptop since my monitor died, and I swear my eyes have gotten worse, and I have more trouble hitting the right keys! I do more editing now than I ever have!

I've never been a great cook, so not being able to bake great bread is no big deal for me.

o

Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 14:05

Althea I prefer the "rustic loaf" to the perfectly formed "bread in a pan" also :)

Brush ... go to your room :)

o

Ohiomom, "rustic" loaves look much better served with dinner. I slice it, then slice those slices in half and put it in a basket so it looks like bread you would find in a nice restaurant. I'm doing an experiment right now baking one loaf in a round pan & the other in a bread pan to find out if there really is a difference. People who use bread machines probably don't have this option.

o

Sure we do, Althea. I use my machine right through the last knead cycle, remove it, reshape (getting rid of that dumb paddle hole), and finish it off in any shape/pan I wish. Works slick!

o

Althea, I used to have a bread machine, a great one.

The second year they hit the market, we were out of the country and the BX loaded up on one of the best brands available at the time (name started with a Z) They flew off the shelves despite being rather expensive at the time as it was nearing Christmas. The machines go for a fraction of what we spent on the one we bought, it was built like a tank.

You can mix up any type of bread dough you like if you take it out and do what you want with it to rise and shape and bake it --we didn't like it baked in the machine so I tried that by the third loaf baked.

Once the five pounds were gained and the initial thrill was gone, that was it for the machine. I took it out only a few times a year after that and eventually just gave it away.

Now I have an older, most powerful Kitchen Aid mixer and use the dough hooks for kneading the bread for me - bad wrists prevent decent kneading and the mixer is great to use for many things including for that purpose.

o

Althea, if you like the rustic look you can also shape your loaf and bake it on a preheat stone. You don't need a pan. I bake all my loaves this way. Doesn't matter if it is round or baguette shaped.

If you have a bread machine you can use it to knead any dough. And you can knead larger quantities of dough if you aren't baking in the machine.

~Ann

o

Thanks for the stone tip Ann.

I clearly know nothing about bread machines. I don't find mixing the ingredients with a hand-held electric mixer, and then kneading the bread at all difficult. In, fact, it's fun! I like participating in the first hand experience of the dough transforming throughout the different steps. Unless you have bad wrists like Mylab, you're missing out on the whole process by using a bread machine for any step.

((I'm trying to make this thread controversial.))

o

Ann...Your blog is beautifully done.

Being Greek, I also enjoyed checking out Kalofagas, who is on your page. Thanks for sharing. I'll be back to visit both of you!

Nik

o

Althea, I'll help......I'm outraged at your insinuation that my way isn't the best and ONLY way *LOL*
Thirty years at a desk in front of a typewriter/computer isn't the best thing for the wrists, unfortunately.

I have never heard of a bread stone, I'm going to have to check this out! I hope I don't just love it, bread is not supposed to be a part of my diet, nor the European butter I have slathered on it, fresh and hot from the oven.

I once read where special humidified ovens were a favorite for bakers, even home bakers. My standard electric wall ovens will have to do for anything I ever bake. ;)

I probably would have wanted gas ovens when I had to replace them, but electric was what was on the big sale so electric is what I happily chose.

However! It will be from my cold, dead fingers that you pry away my fabulous gas cooktop that I waited and planned and anticipated having for all my married life *LOL*

It's nothing really that special really - I do love the continuous grates and the tiny little simmer burner, but I was stuck with cheap electric stoves and (like brand new, decent sinks and toilets) I swore that when we finally settled and bought, it would be the first thing on my replacement list if the house didn't come with one.

Well, it did but it was a cheap one that never worked quite correctly so within a year, and after we tore out and replaced all the existing sinks and toilets with decent ones, I finally had my nice gas cooktop I had dreamed about! :)

o

Have any of you tried baking on a Big Green Egg? We have a version of it and made pizza on it. The pizza tasted great but we had no technique for getting it on and off the grill so it became a bit messy.

o

I bake bread on a bread/pizza stone here in the city but use my wood fired oven when I am upstate which has it's own stone floor. The stone makes a difference and they aren't that expensive.

I don't like the taste or texture of bread that I have eaten that is made in a breadmaker so I never used mine and finally got rid of it. It took up valuable real estate in my closet.

I have used Lahey's no knead recipe and the bread is pretty good.

I love bread but we are trying to cut down on gluten so I am trying not bake as often as I would like. It is my weakness and like others feel there is nothing like a really good bread with really good butter.

Now that I have read this thread my mouth is watering so I think a loaf may be in order either tonight or tomorrow.

darn you Chase!! :)

o

Good try Mylab! That went over about as well as bringing up problems with wheat/gluten!

Ann, I like the "print recipe" function on your blog. It's a really nice blog.

OMG Epi! You bake your bread on a bread stone in a wood fired oven?!?! There must be a thread award for that.

I bake mine in glass baking dishes in an electric oven.

o

Epi.....thud!

I bake all my own bread, rolls, buns and pizza and would die for a wood fired oven.

I use a pizza/bread stone in my oven and I never take it out. It even goes through the clean cycle.! Just be sure you buy a good one.

o

Epi.....thud!

I bake all my own bread, rolls, buns and pizza and would die for a wood fired oven.

I use a pizza/bread stone in my oven and I never take it out. It even goes through the clean cycle.! Just be sure you buy a good one.

o

Hey it took me years to convince my DH that we "needed" one. When we finally decided to redo the back of the house upstate 2 years ago we put it in along with a great outdoor cooking area. I love it but it is a pain since you have to start heating the oven hours before you cook but I'm not complaining. It makes everything taste better.

o

You can use unglazed quarry tile as well. It is steam that gives bread that crusty chewy texture though and a little pan that you can toss some ice cubes into makes the difference.

Building a wood fired oven is on my to do after retirement list.

In the middle ages they believed that fresh bread was TOXIC-they would not eat hot bread or anything less than a day old-when I was a kid there were still people who believed bread fresh from the oven was unhealthy. With the anti-gluten craze(lets heat this discussion up) I expect to see that POV come back. My opinion is that the reason bread fresh from the oven is unhealthy is it is so good you eat WAY too much.

o

I agree with your reason about why fresh bread is bad for you Patriciea. Once when U was small, my mother made raison bread. My sister and I ate nearly the whole loaf within a half hour after it was out of the oven. We had stomach aches.

o

Epi, I'm blessed to have a great outdoor kitchen , albeit sans a wood fired oven. I think I could live with the pain of the long heat up time..at least I think I could ...but I'll never know .... it is not in the cards given our long winters.

o

I would also agree Patricia, and the amount of butter that so often accompanies the hot fresh bread! That makes sense to me.

Althea, I don't believe my mother ever baked bread in her life - but as a treat, she would bring home the price slashed day or two day old loaves of cinnamon raisin bread from a local major brand bakery that had an outlet store attached.

OMG, we loved that stuff...toasted with of course butter. That is something I wont make or buy ever- Im the only one who likes it and I just cant leave it alone as long as its in the house. I cant control myself with it so I refuse have it in the house, ever.

I'll bet its been 40 years since I had slice ( aka loaf) of cinnamon raisin bread.

Remember when one could buy a loaf of day old bread for half price, we never had anything but at least day old bread and it tasted just fine as I recall, unlike bread when I make it from scratch. We throw away a lot of a loaf because it just isn't any great shakes after the first day.

o

it is not in the cards given our long winters

Chase, you can use it in the winter also it's just a little more work. You just have to do a few things differently like taking the time to slowly warm up the oven before you make your cooking fire which depends on how much insulation you build into it, and having a jacket you don't mind getting dirty from the soot amongst a few other things (and you will use more wood) but it is very doable.

o

Epi, my deck and outdoor kitchen is under 4 feet of snow in the winter.. Way to difficult to clear it all away on a regular basis.

o

Mylab, yes, my mother baked bread. Mostly plain, white bread though that I didn't really care for, esp. after I discovered whole wheat and other whole grain breads with sunflower seeds, walnuts and stuff like that. My father who grew up during the depression insisted on white bread, often telling of the horrors of having to eat rye. Once in awhile mother would make raison bread, which was wonderful. Store bought bread with the weird rubbery texture was treat!

o

Epi, I can just imagine how good your bread is baked in a wood fired oven.

My favourite pizza place in Victoria, bakes in an open wood fired oven.

Thanks Nik.

Ann

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here