Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Something Nice from Minnesota

Posted by labrea 7NYC (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 19, 12 at 19:52

Evangelical Lutherans Voted against endorsing a ban on Gay marriage disappointing the Catholic who do endorse the ban.
Yes I'm bombarding you with posts about gay issues.
Minneapolis-area Lutherans on Friday went on record against changing the state Constitution to define marriage as between one man and one woman.

Their vote made them one of the largest faith groups yet to formally oppose the amendment that will go before voters Nov. 6, which would ban same-sex marriage in Minnesota. Close to 700 Lutherans, representing congregations in the Minneapolis Area Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, voted on a resolution opposing the amendment at the group's annual assembly at a Prior Lake church.

Thanks folks every little bit means a lot!

Last April guess who Minnesota Republicans offered a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage! What party is that yet again!

"Its disturbing that Republicans want to use one of the last weeks of the legislative session to marginalize one group of people and divide our state," Sen. Scott Dibble of Minneapolis said. "We are facing a $5 billion budget shortfall, yet Republicans believe the biggest threat to our state's welfare is who is allowed to be married."

Like the old seafarer maps that indicated there be monsters & demons here!

several Republican lawmakers -- including Rep. John Kriesel and Wheelock Whitney, a former gubernatorial candidate -- launched a drive to defeat the amendment. In fact, Whitney has already donated $10,000 to the effort.
Both men said they are working to raise awareness and funds because they feel the initiative goes against their party's core values.
Had to show some balance & point out that they aren't all loathsome floaters & demons

Here is a link that might be useful: demonic doings

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Something Nice from Minnesota

I can't wait to hear what Garrison Keillor does with this!

o

Hadn't read too much about this so far, but it'll be on the ballot for referendum in November. Something tells me these wedge issues are going to go down in flames.

Here is a link that might be useful: It'll be more than Lutheran bachelor farmers

o

As far as I can tell, most of the ELCA churches in the Twin Cities are relatively inclusive. Some even have female ministers. The Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran and Missouri Synods are another matter entirely.

Good to see that some locally, well-known Republicans are finally speaking up. I'm especially glad that Whee is backing it up with some cash. Probably would have happened sooner if his first wife were still alive.

o

perhaps not 1.2 million has been raised on this ballot initiative & the Governor can't veto it.!

o

I was raised in the most liberal branch of the Lutheran church, the old UCLA which then merged with a more conservative branch, the ALC (scandinavians) to form the ELCA.
It is the most liberal of all the Lutheran churches.

The Missouri synod, the one represented at Issa's hearing the other day is very conservative and not at all inclusive. They even exclude other Lutherans.
And Wisconsin is even more conservative than Missouri synod.

o

Duluth, I sure hope you're right. Outside of the more urban areas in MN, I fear that the amendment may have a lot of support. There are also some religious communities in the Twin Cities that are anti-LGBT and very effective at getting their folks out to vote.

o

yoga..."A former Moorhead pastor and Concordia graduate is making history in Minnesota. Reverend Ann Svennungsen will soon serve as the leader of the Minneapolis Area Synod of the ELCA. She was elected Saturday as the first female bishop to serve in any of the six Minnesota synods."

Hard to say - beyond the Metro - this vast northern "wilderness" has barely 250k people. I don't think there'd be much support in Duluth, methinks; but the Range can be pretty provincial.

o

"Yes I'm bombarding you with posts about gay issues."

And I'm supporting you in every one, Joe!

It seems to me as though our country, and all of the states that conspire to make it a country, have way more pressing problems to deal with than whom should be allowed to marry whom!

If the Republicans want smaller government, they could begin by getting out of our bedrooms and personal lives!

We wouldn't have all these budget issues if we'd just stop going to war at the drop of a hat! Our Department of Defense eats up the largest piece of our annual Federal Pie!

I swear... this country gets stranger by the minute...

o

Wheelock Whitney - haven't heard that name for over 20 years. I met him once when I lived in Minnesota.

Another church that I am sure will be or is against this amendment is the United Church of Christ. It, and now the ELCA, both accept homosexuals and even ordain them.

I just don't understand what has happened in the great state of Minnesota - home of Hubert Humphrey and Walter Mondale. When I lived there, from 1964-1991, it was a great, progressive state. Makes me thankful I live in Washington state now where the governor just signed a bill for marriage equality.

o

Seems like some groups just progress in different directions

o

The rise of fundamentalist religion is what happened in Minnesota.

As woodnymph said, it is a cancer that is growing.

And the Republicans have exploited it beautifully.

How any thinking person could vote Republican these days is beyond me.

o

How any thinking person could vote Republican these days is beyond me.

You have to open your mind and try to think like other people do. If you do, you will understand.

o

Dear heart from what I'm seeing understanding & reading I would have to close my mind!

o
Bliss

And do you close your eyes at the same time?
How's Edd doing?

o
RE: Eyeing the Demons

Need them open to, keep my eye on the demons he should be home Thursday Thanks Demi!

o
Illuminations

I understand 'bout those demons. ;)

You posted a photo of the two of you some time ago,
there was something about him that particularly attracted me, it wasn't just his good looks. I think his soul, if you will allow me that description. I've never forgotten it.

The best to you both.

o

Anyone with just one brain cell and a shroud of integrity left has no business voting for the Regressives.

o
The Grinch Lives

Elton John song comes to mind.

o

Reading this thread, re the ELCA in Minnesota, reminded me of something that I think is funny that I want to share.

Back in the late 1980's, DH and I ran into our former minister (ELCA) and his wife, who had also been our neighbors. We sat down to eat our dinner together (it was in a restaurant). He was then a new bishop in the newly-created ELCA. His wife told us of a bishop's conference they had attended in Miami. One evening the bishops, in their clerical collars, and their wives went out together for dinner. Their waiter, a Miami-Cuban, asked them, after looking at the collars and women, who they were. One bishop replied, "We are bishops and their wives." The waiter replied, "Does the Pope know?"

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here