Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Homeland Security Purchases Ammo

Posted by brightonborn (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 7, 13 at 20:19

Why would the Dept. of Homeland security be purchasing 21.6 million rounds of ammo on top of the 1.6 billion it has purchased in the past 10 months?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Homeland Security Purchases Ammo

To take out all the gun owners and destroy the second amendment.

o

To take out all the gun owners and destroy the second amendment.

o

we did this one months ago it's a recurring conspiracy!

o

2011 another Gun forum posted the same thing. Last Year some other group started the same thing

Here is a link that might be useful: Yadda Yadda YAWN

o

The Mass Psychosis of Fascism is a book by Wilhelm Reich.

I highly recommend it.

-Ron-

o

Obviously DHS needs that ammunition to enforce the Obamacare mandate that we all have a microchip implanted in our left buttock.

o

Obviously DHS needs that ammunition to enforce the Obamacare mandate that we all have a microchip implanted in our left buttock.

Right hand or forehead, you mean.

Get it right.

This post was edited by hamiltongardener on Thu, Feb 7, 13 at 21:50

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 7, 13 at 21:51

"zombie apocalypse"

o

brightonborn How do you like the one-liners from the liberals???
Read a post below from another thread.
You will laugh your butt off .

Posted by chase z6 (My Page) on Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 21:29
This is a prefect example of the carp that goes on here.
A topic is posted with a purpose that isn't quite clear and certain assertions that are shown to be wrong. Questions are asked and clarification is requested.

The response is sarcastic one liners with no acknowledgment that perhaps the facts as originally presented were incomplete.

No answers to legitimate questions, no clarification.......

Reminds me of something CW ( I think) once said........that conservatives were the only ones capable of an intelligent discussion. Look back at this thread and give me one example of that......just sarcastic one liners and zero response to legitimate questions.

o

Uh-uh. Microchip is in the flu shot; I thought everyone knew that.

o

citywoman, paranoid OPs usually are greeted with derision no matter who has posted it. Think of it as a harmless lesson in checking information and sources before putting it out for all to see. For me it's a variation of what my father used to drill into our heads: Think before you speak.

Politifact: Chain email says Homeland Security purchasing many bullets perhaps in anticipation of civil unrest or an invasion

o

I'm sure she read my 2 years old link with the same paranoia!
Ho HUM!

o

I'm wondering is it possible to post anything without using the word LIBERAL in it? It means so little (nothing) after the first 40 or 50 posts!

This post was edited by labrea on Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 0:04

o

I don't know labrea...I'm wondering if it would be possible
to post anything without using the term right wing-nuts
or cons.
It means so little after several years back.
:)

o

Why would the Dept. of Homeland security be purchasing 21.6 million rounds of ammo on top of the 1.6 billion it has purchased in the past 10 months?
Anticipated rising prices, if it is even true?

I'm guessing for the same reason why some folks stock up on Forever Stamps. Just planning ahead.

o

Maybe Janet likes to make daily trips to the range.

o

Homeland Security encompasses a huge number of federal agencies. It's not just FEMA and the TSA, whom the conspiracy theorists usually name as the agencies on the verge of declaring war against us. DHS also includes these five agencies, all of whom blow through a lot of ammo, and are in a constant state of readiness to blow through a whole lot more:

Federal Law Enforcement Training Center
United States Customs and Border Protection
United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement
United States Coast Guard
United States Secret Service

Get the facts before you post another paranoid supposition.

o

Does this include the thousands of shells that President Obama, Michele, and the two wee ones go through at the skeet range at Camp David?

o

"Why would the Dept. of Homeland security be purchasing 21.6 million rounds of ammo on top of the 1.6 billion it has purchased in the past 10 months?"

Well, Barack Obama DID say "We cannot continue to rely on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives that we've set. We've got to have a civilian national security force that's just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded."

Here is a link that might be useful: Why all that Ammo?

o

ARMS RACE!!! ARMS RACE!!!! Lets everybody panic and go clear the shelves of any remaining ammunition because THEY ARE COMING TO TAKE ALL OUR GUNS!!!! OMG OMG OMG!!!!

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 11:13

Varmints infesting DC?

o

Would that be those Congressional varmints? That's one herd that needs thinning.

o

Terrorist!

o

City I started that to Mock yours & others the LIBS posts !

o

You sure cant go to Wal Mart or any sporting goods or hardware stores an buy ammo, its not there. Even as ammunition manufacturers preoduce 1 billion rounds per week. Its 100% allocated until June, as of today.
But, I do have 1500 rounds of top shelf 10mm to unload at reasonable prices, its a dead caliber, for now. Maybe Ill ring up the DHS.

o

Old Chris Rock routine about drug peddlers shooting each other up & hitting innocent bystanders. If you made each bullet $1000 then there would be fewer dead innocent bystanders.

o

ever see the ghetto banger shooting position? no wonder they only do collateral damage.

o

How about having to sign for ammunition when you buy it in quantity? I have to sign for any prescription meds containing an opiate.

Aren't 'bomb' ingredients tracked in the wake of the Oklahoma bombing?

o

Yes, try buying ammonium nitrate in any quantity.

o

• Posted by RpR_ 3-4 (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 19:52

Why would the Dept. of Homeland security be purchasing 21.6 million rounds of ammo on top of the 1.6 billion it has purchased in the past 10 months?----------Because they are not going to be any cheaper the next year, or the next, or the next, or the next....

o

No, its because they are coming after you......so gather the righteous and organize...and you better do it now. They are getting closer......all this fiscal cliff, sequestration, deficit reduction, economy stuff is a diversion to take Americans attention away from the really important issues.........like ?

o

"gather the righteous"??

"...diversion to take Americans attention away from the really important issues.........like ?"

"...like?" You tell us.

I guess I'm missing your point here, Chase.

o

Posted by chase

"No, its because they are coming after you......so gather the righteous and organize...and you better do it now. They are getting closer......all this fiscal cliff, sequestration, deficit reduction, economy stuff is a diversion to take Americans attention away from the really important issues.........like ?"-----Here comes another one
Here it comes again
Here comes another one
When will it ever end?

I know whatever it is
I've not seen one before
But here comes another one
And here comes a bunch of 'em
Here comes another one
Thank God I'm not having lunch with them

o

Too many adult beverages

o

"I guess I'm missing your point here, Chase."

Review the responses, and you'll see there are few thoughtful comments from anyone here. When the left wants to disrupt a thread, it rushes to litter the thread with nonsensical comments like those above.

For whatever reason, the left isn't prepared for a serious discussion about why the DHS might need so much ammo, especially hollow point, which is for killing, not for target practice. It sounds ominous to me, but then DH has his own theory on why hollow point.

He says its a supply and demand thing. Government purchases keep the price up, and as prices go up, public demand goes down. A higher price on bullets designed to kill would limit the supply for law abiding people for sure, but also for gang bangers and others who pose a threat to innocent people in neighborhoods, businesses and on the streets.

Hoping some of us can think about this and try to make sense out of what is happening, and what the reasons might be.

o

So, how many rounds does the Pentagon buy every year?

o

an educated guess is around 1.8-2 billion per year, approx. 250,000 per kill. The Us militarey is importing ammo from Israel and probably other sources as US manufacturers are not able to meet demand presently. US ammo mfgrs pt out 1 billuion rounds per week of varrious calibers and 100% of production is allocated until June. CCI produces 4 million rounds of .22 rimfire per day, and its very hard to find on the shelf presently. Priority is US militay 1st, LE 2nd, civilian 3rd.

Hollow point ammunition is not legal for militay use, ball ammo is. Ball ammo penetrates and passes thru tissue , hp is designed for stopping power, not wounding.

o

This is the reason DHS buys ammunition. Did you miss it the first time?

Federal Law Enforcement Training Center
United States Customs and Border Protection
United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement
United States Coast Guard
United States Secret Service

The men and women in these agencies are armed agents of the government, and they are armed with actual ammunition.

But if you want to continue to believe they are coming for you....well......get out the tin foil hats.

LOL

o

Well, I've got a few extra boxes of what I use, bought when it went on sale years ago, so I'm not worried.

o

Review the responses, and you'll see there are few thoughtful comments from anyone here. When the left wants to disrupt a thread, it rushes to litter the thread with nonsensical comments like those above.

This reply is so typical. Read Nancy's response again. The original post was entirely disingenuous. To virtually everyone of us libs it reinforced the ludicrous paranoia going on in the conservative community. So yes, we rushed to spread litter on the excrement.

-Ron-

o

Is this Republican thing, that they are not capable of checking out anything they read or receive in an email to be sure it is true and not some kind of absurd paranoid insanity that they are posting?

Here is the truth again for those conservatives here to read and it might actually be a good idea they check the link as well.

Posted by nancy_in_venice_ca SS24 z10 CA (My Page) on Thu, Feb 7, 13 at 22:24
citywoman, paranoid OPs usually are greeted with derision no matter who has posted it. Think of it as a harmless lesson in checking information and sources before putting it out for all to see. For me it's a variation of what my father used to drill into our heads: Think before you speak.
Politifact: Chain email says Homeland Security purchasing many bullets perhaps in anticipation of civil unrest or an invasion

Here is a link that might be useful: Politifact: Chain email says Homeland Security purchasing many bullets perhaps in anticipation of civil unrest or an invasion

o

I freely admit to making light of posts such as this.

Brightborn got that info somewhere, she didn't just make it up. She provides no context, no source and no opinion. Just lobs it out end expects everyone to have a rational discussion about what? Does she expect that we will all scurry about finding information to answer her question without investing any time herself?

On many occasions I have asked Brighborn to clarify things she has said and she never does, actually she rarely returns to threads she herself creates.

I will not waste my time trying to have a serious discussion with someone who isn't willing to do the same.

o

Chase, I wasn't referring to those that where "making light of posts such as this", that you and others made.

I was referring to the OP, Brightonborn and those actually believed her post,

IE our "resident conservatives".

We keep seeing posts like this popping up from them all the time. They read it, they hear it, the get it in an email, they read it on the web and OOPS it must be true and presto they post it on HT.

o

Yes, it's the French model internet date. "Bon jour."

o

Littleone, my reply was directed at Nik's post....not yours.

o

"Reminds me of something CW ( I think) once said........that conservatives were the only ones capable of an intelligent discussion. Look back at this thread and give me one example of that......just sarcastic one liners and zero response to legitimate questions".

Yes they respond alike...just like the President. You heard about his only comment when confronted with what was taking place in Benghazi to Leon Panetta....."ahh do what u gotta do"

That was the total extent of conversation..he never, ever inquired after that deeply moving comment.. But then again..he is the smartest man on the face of the earth aaccording to the majority of folks here..

o

Mom: "But if you want to continue to believe they are coming for you....well......get out the tin foil hats."

Now that would be foolish. Those only work for intercepting space alien secret transmissions. Get a grip.

o

So Brightborn.....what do you think that the Homeland Security folk are doing with all that ammo?

Must say I am also impressed with the fact you know what transpired in a conversation between Panetta and President Obama. That's way cool.

o

Could it be that brightonborn is actually a "fly on the wall" and that is how she knows about what "transpired in a conversation between Panetta and President
Obama?

Or maybe she is one of those pesky gnats and got into the White House and then into the Oval Office before she got tossed with her advise on how to get rid of "pesky gnats"?

You know, if the shoe fits bit.

o

If you watched the hearings the other day..those words came from Panettas mouth.

o

So Brighborn, what do you suppose the DHS is doing with all that ammo?

.......off to learn the context and full comments of what was asked and answered by Panetta.

o

Amazing first hand report showing that the President cannot even spell correctly as indicated by the quote. OMG!

o

Chase, 20 mil rounds a year is one estimate for all the practicing done by all the agencies in the US govt.

o

Jmc........

I know why the DHS requires that much ammo. I was asking Brighborn to answer the question she posed but has not answered. Mind you the answer has been provided several times in this thread.....so the question is moot.

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 12:00

I thought those hats also prevented the government from monitoring your thoughts, or planting ideas in your head. That's the bigger risk, isn't it?

o

"I know why the DHS requires that much ammo."

Could you share your sources and help us out down here?

America's federal government doesn't share much information with the American people these days. Your sources could well be better than ours, so I'm interested in what you're learning from them.

Hollow point bullets aren't for target practice, so we know they aren't needed for that. Do your sources offer other possible explanations?

Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering how many hollow point bullets your own government has stockpiled per Canadian citizen. Maybe the four or five to one ratio we have here isn't unusual.

o

All the information one needs to understand that huge amount of munitions are required by the US federal government for security and defense is contained on this thread.

As for the hollowed point bullets , don't know and don't care. So Nik, what do you think your government has them for? You seem to care so I would think you would pursue that.

o

"I thought those hats also prevented the government from monitoring your thoughts, or planting ideas in your head. That's the bigger risk, isn't it?"

You are mistaken, Mom. You bought that urban legend hook, line and sinker. Don't feel duped; a lot of people were fooled by that whopper. You're gonna have to trust me on this one. Space aliens; that's the ticket.

;D

o

http://www.infowars.com/dhs-purchases-21-6-million-more-rounds-of-ammunition/

labrea....rest assured I seldom if ever read any of your posts... no need I know your position is always what the administration espouses.

o

Hollow points are widely used for target shooting. In fact, they improve the balllistic coefficient giving better down range velocity retention and they are better able to to resist crosswind deflection, a better gas seal . many match grade bullets are some type of hollow point. many of these hp rounds arent really designed for hunting or defense as they arent made for great expansion. I use a lot of polymer tipped hp as well. In handguns, mostly the revolvers we like cast wad cutters or semi wads.

o

no need I know your position is always what the administration espouses.

Oops, you just revealed that you need to read labrea's posts because the above is not necessarily true.

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 17:18

Well.......well...........then what protects us from the government reading our minds? Rats, and I thought I was ready.

o

Mom, the only protection would be to never say what's on our minds. If that happens, sites like HT go bye-bye.

o

Infowars is about the last thing that can be considered a reliable source.

Polite company and civil society does not refer to that guy or his nutter site.

o

WorldNewsDaily.com ought to do the trick for civil and polite society company and other incoherent assemblages.

o

I just perused Infowars. That is quite a site Brighton. Thank you for directing me there. Things are clearing up a bit.

o

The federal officers who use hollow points-for their stopping power and tendency to not go through a body and strike someone else-practice with hollow points, for not only do these officers have to qualify with their weapons at least once a year but they also practice so that they will qualify. This ought to be obvious to anyone who has a grain of sense. Each agency has its own standards as to how much practice shooting is necessary-it is a big expense in their budgets...or was since my information is dated but I cant imagine much has changed.
What is with this need for crazy conspiracy? Is it a virus or something?

o

fancifowl: Hollow points are widely used for target shooting.

Um, FF, didn't you get the memo from the conservative club this week? The talking point this week is that hollow points are not used for target shooting. Therefore the government is about to kill us.

And everyone knows you're not supposed to contradict the weekly talking point.

Be careful, or you're gonna lose your membership card.

o

Infowars.com says range quality is cheaper, but hollow point is more accurate. So who knows?

Here is a link that might be useful: Hollow points

o

Infowars is about the last thing that can be considered a reliable source.

Polite company and civil society does not refer to that guy or his nutter site.

o

Fine by me. CBS okay? Basically this one says that SSA prefers hollow point because "Hollow-points are known for causing more tissue damage than other bullets when they hit a person because they expand when they enter the body." It's right there at the link. Thanks for pointing out the error of my ways.

Doesn't address the cost differential, though. That must have been the problem with the other source? Well, no matter. Now we know. SSA has good stuff for dealing with fraudulent recipients and "other crimes".

Now you could point out that the quotes I used are out of context, but they are indeed there, and they have not been distorted.

Here is a link that might be useful: CBS Link; Hollow Points

o

• Posted by RpR_ 3-4 (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 22:46

Posted by fancifowl
"Hollow points are widely used for target shooting. In fact, they improve the balllistic coefficient giving better down range velocity retention and they are better able to to resist crosswind deflection, a better gas seal . many match grade bullets are some type of hollow point. many of these hp rounds arent really designed for hunting or defense as they arent made for great expansion. I use a lot of polymer tipped hp as well. In handguns, mostly the revolvers we like cast wad cutters or semi wads."-----------------------Just where did you get this bit of info from?

The only reason for using hollow-points for practice as well as offensive/defensive use is so the point of aim does not change.

Ballistic coefficient is determined by how streamlined a bullet is.

Gas seal?
Gas-check bullets are designed for a better gas seal.

Better down range velocity?

That is like saying a top-fuel dragster will go faster and quicker if it deploys its chute at the Christmas tree.

This post was edited by RpR_ on Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 23:04

o

RpR, FF seems to be an expert on small arms and ammo. You should try to keep up with reading his many informative (and irritating!) posts on the subject of guns, gun control, ammo control.

o

I live near the local police and sheriff dept firing range. They shoot of thousands of rounds a month. And these are not very big departments.

When I first moved in, I had no idea that there was a firing range half a mile away - hearing all that firing, day in, day out, my thought was I'd sure better make friends with that guy.

o

RpR, FF seems to be an expert on small arms and ammo. You should try to keep up with reading his many informative (and irritating!) posts on the subject of guns, gun control, ammo control.

o

edits accepted

o

I must have deleted my last post accidently.

But as Homer Powley once said,"
First contemplation of the problems of ballistics gives the impression that they should yield rather easily to relatively simple methods of analysis study shows the subject to be of almost unbelievable complexity".
On that we agree???

o

No argument from me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here