Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Editing Posts

Posted by chase z6 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 20:53

Not sure how the rest feel about this new function but I'm not in love
with it.

On one hand it's great to be able to delete duplicate posts, add a clarification or correct a spelling error but several times I've gone back to check on the wording of a statement I know darn well I read and it is changed or gone. Of course there is no way to challenge that without getting into a bun fight.

I think it is appropriate to identify what / why you edited a post but it's not for me to establish the rules of engagement. Anyhow I suspect those who edit to change the intent of their original post would not do so anyway.

Does anyone know of a way to check the original post?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Editing Posts

I have been stating the reason for each of my edits since the feature began.

I may be more sensitive to 'audit trail' issues than others, but it's still just my word that I corrected some horrid spelling or especially convoluted and confusing sentence structure.

o

MiNe are Usually spellTing erorrrrs

o

Posted by chase z6 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 15:39

That is so weird....

Here is the proper link.....

Sorry I neglected to answer your question...no the are chopper plated nickle

Here is a link that might be useful: costs 1.6 cents to mint a penny

This post was edited by chase on Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 15:41

o

I always state why I edit and it is usually spelling never content.

Chase, I noticed the same thing. Why change the posts when there are screen shots of original posts so no one is fooling anyone.

o

Brushworks, Sharon edited that post to include the proper link. The post gives the reason for the edit.

~Ann

o

I tried to change substantial portion of a post & it would'nt

o

Ann...I posted it to make her smile about the

"no the are chopper plated nickle"

Not to give you an opportunity to explain why. :)

Be cheerful today.

o

Mine are always perfect the first time around and surely you agree...

o

I don't even know how to edit posts so what you see the first time is all there is.

o

Pidge,

After you post, there appears an edit option below "clippings", upper right of your frame.

o

Epi, how do you access a screen shot of the original post after it had been edited. Curious minds need to know!

o

I edit to correct spelling mistakes, or using the wrong word. Never to change content.

Sometimes I edit to add something I forgot to say instead of adding another post. In this case, I usually say why it's edited (edited to add...).

I haven't noticed that people are editing to change content. Well, except that one time demi removed posts (after she was the only one to say people would remove posts after the fact).

Anyway, I love the edit feature. Allows me to not look so stupid sometimes (spelling, grammar, wrong word...)

I am willing to play by a rule to add a note when edited. But, as you say, those changing content wouldn't.

o

So...how do you remove a post? I've never seen an option for that. I've never tried to edit a post..do you remove one that way?

o

You can't remove the post completely. You can just remove the text in the post.

o

I always tell what I did to a post, and I see most people are. I have decided, for myself, I will only edit if it's just something I really want to add/adjust. I have this horrible habit of saying "it" and not clarifying what it is. I'll change those sorts of things. I leave spelling errors alone.

Like Nancy and many others, I will often tell what I changed.

But yes, I agree. One should not change the entire content. I would say Chase, if you remember it, and he post says edited, you can say you remember it and others will agree with you. You're not crazy. I guess I'll just try to look at the bright side and think the person was merely trying to "clarify" the wording they had? Yea, that's the ticket! (said in the manner of the Jon Lovitz's pathalogical liar, Tommy Flanagan, on SNL)

Here is a link that might be useful: video of Tommy Flanagan

o

I write the reason for the edit in at the bottom. It's typically a grammatical correction.

OTOH, I have, on other forums, reread something and found what I said regrettable. I don't always, or even usually reread my own posts, but sometimes, it just stays with me after I walk away from the computer "TG, what you just said ... wasn't right." Overly snarky or hurtful stuff is what I am talking about here.

So, on those occasions, if it occurs to me soon enough that the thread has not reacted to what I posted yet, I will edit to delete the text, and state why at that time also: "Not worth it" or "Didn't need to be said" etc. I'd prefer to spare the drama of having hurt someone's feelings, but if they already have read it, I am also not above leaving it and then posting an apology.

But the idea that was mentioned in the earliest threads re: editing posts, about wanting to avoid some sort of punitive measures in response to a rule breaking post, would never occur to me. Quite frankly, web moderators are about the least scary folks around, the worst they can do is ban an anonymous "you" from a place you can always come back too under a new identity ... what's to fear there?

I [try to] behave decently for the sake of doing so, not because big bad moderators might punish me if I don't.

o

I like to post really obnoxious, insulting, disgusting stuff, get a reaction, then go back and change the original post to something about puppies.

o

I know, david. Some of us have been tsk-tsking over that bad habit of yours.

I edit occasionally because my thoughts and typing fingers don't always go at the same pace. LOL

Kate

o

Ohhh david - aaaanimals! They do hath charms to soothe the savage breast.

Edited to correct last word of quote so as not to offend William Congreve.

This post was edited by duluthinbloomz4 on Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 10:52

o

Haven't even bothered to use it... isn't that what the "Preview" function is for?

o

isn't that what the "Preview" function is for?

Uh, yes, if you're perfect and never hit submit while still containing an error. Me, not so perfect.

o

See? Above, in mine, it says "always" and then, instead, "often" both about editing. After thinking about it, I decided it wasn't always and, really, I shouldn't use the word always.

But I didn't change it higher up the post, ugh! I would normally edit that. I should've finished my coffee before posting? Probably.

o

I know how do to do it but I never have used it. I saw belatedly I misspelled a word yesterday, but no big deal. I want to know how whole posts are edited and then disappear like CW's did yesterday. Or was that from the powers that be here?

o

I will edit a post to correct a writing error or to improve clarity. I fix typos because readers can stumble over improperly-spelled words, so I consider it a courtesy to the audience.

o

I love it, not only for the chance to make corrections, but to add, or take away from a post. And I don't find it necessary to state why I've changed it. I do most of my editing, though, in the preview page.

I think the powers that be pulled that thread, and good riddance to it.

o

I just love them all!!! Doesn't everybody?

This post was edited by david52 on Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 12:26

o

Lily, I made a reply to a post which vanished maybe a week back - TOTALLY disappeared, no sign of an edit, it simply did not exist anymore.

As my reply stood, it looked like I was being rude to WxDano, the last poster to comment ahead of the one that vanished.

If admin. deletes posts they highly object to, ( and good for them if they do! The place does belong to them) I do wish there would be a simple "deleted" notation left behind.

But, they don't have to, because its their place, their choices, we are just visitors, imo.
(But it WOULD be nice *LOL*)

o

You don't have to be perfect to use Preview... you just have to proofread.

o

you just have to proofread.

I do.

But between preview and hitting the submit bar anonymous gremlins have done their work rearranging letters and words. Harrumph!

o

For as long as I've been on the forums, I've found the preview feature much more "satisfying" than the edit will ever be. I suppose because, by habit, I've always proofed what I've written and, when necessary, the preview works just fine for adjustments. Despite that, things will get by.

Unless it was something you (anyone) specifically wanted to respond to, how do you (anyone) keep track of any post that suddenly goes missing?

o

Duluth, speaking for myself and the one I mentioned, I went back into the thread to read further and saw my reply, which on the surface didn't make a lot of sense. I then remembered why I made the reply and the reason for it no longer existed. I checked several other threads thinking thinking I had replied to the wrong one but that wasn't the case.
Because I've not been at all busy, I noticed. When my life is running more normally I probably never would have because then I only tend to follow a few threads for a short period of time since Im not even online every day.

But it really doesn't make a difference, this is a site owned by others, it is their right to delete anything they so choose, Im a visitor in their "store".

o

Your response speaks to my question and point - you had a specific reason to notice something had gone missing.

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 15:43

I edit posts because I know I'm stupid but I'd prefer others didn't realize.

I edit posts because I lie and need to cover my tracks.

I edit posts because I drink to excess and have deep regrets when I sober up.

I edit posts because I am misinformed and embarrassed when called on it.

I edit posts because I am intellectually dishonest.

I edit, posts, because commas are, my frienemies.

I edit posts to throw off the scent.

I edit posts to infuriate my detractors.

I edit posts because I can.

I think that about covers it... but if it doesn't, don't kid yourself, this post will be edited.

edited to make people wonder what was edited.

This post was edited by kwoods on Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 15:44

o

Just imagine all the stuff that was written, then previewed and rethunk rethought, then rewritten. Or not.

o

And it's usually the "or not" that gets us into trouble!

o

Kwoods ^^^ that was funny!

I like this new editing feature, and usually use it to correct grammar, typos, clarify, and other innocuous reasons. However, I've also used it delete info I decided upon reflection was too personal, or to correct myself when I thought I sounded too opinionated or was just plain wrong. This is similar to the way I try to edit my thoughts all the time.

People should be allowed to correct themselves!

o

I haven't used the feature; I always use preview, though. The only times I've wished to change a post is when I'm completely misunderstood, and it wouldn't have done any good, because changing how I expressed myself would have been pointless. I had the Wrong Opinion. Or my anecdote simply wasn't true; my detractors were utterly convinced of it. Whatever.

o

I have not used it but once, to delete a double post.

I figure if I screw up I will just have to deal with it.

Terrene, I think you were very smart deleting personal info you decided upon reflection, not share.
I should have and wish I had done that very thing myself on a couple of occasions.

Other than that, all my misspelled words, confusing ways of expressed thoughts, poorly punctuated sentences will stand as they are. I just don't care so much or pay attention or place any real value to other's unintentional errors, nor my own, not in this particular forum. I realize I may be alone on this point, to each his own.

This is a place where it's the thought that really does count, imo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here